• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

People not comfortable with a one-party House: Sylvia Lim

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. I did not ask him to be a co-driver... He is the one that said he is and wanted be 1...

Yes, you didn't ask him. But it is another matter to re-define, misinteprete or distort the meaning of the term that he had formulated.

2. You go check the PAP MPs, they did do the 7 parts that you talk about... However certain Ministers and our LKY did not do it or do very little...

With more than 80 MPs in every Parliament, it is no surprise that they get to cover all the topics over the years. WP had more than 2 MPs only in the last 3 years. The other question is the party whip. PAP MPs can kpkb over policies but they add strength to the policies by helping PAP win the election and implement them.

If they don't wake up slap harder!!! But he dare not or is not slapping hard enough... Of course is PAP fault that coming out with so many fucking policies... WP got no fault because they are doing nothing... They are happy to let PAP pass through all those unpopular polices so that they can use it to hammer during GE and and votes will flow to them... This is the opposition we looking for???

There, I told you you will nitpick. I rest my case.

You are right... Maybe we should vote in some SDP candidates rather than more WP... SDP behave more like a opposition... Hope they get more supports and votes...

Kudos to the SDP. First of all, I am appalled that you didn't do your fact-check and tarred the opposition with one brush before realizing that at least one opposition party (SDP) raised the issue of immigration in 2012. Perhaps you only research what PAP says to bolster your selective arguments. No wonder you also missed out the many things raised by WP.

Now that you are dividing the opposition between those that you support and those that you don't, you might want to know that WP chairman Sylvia Lim already talked about the immigration policy - in 2006. http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/200...ulation-immigration-and-rooting-singaporeans/

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know you don't like CSJ, but SDP is not CSJ. There are plenty of independent minds within the party, and they're not afraid to speak up and chip in to steer party direction. That said, CSJ has made mistakes in the past, and he knows it. In particular, w.r.t. CST saga, he as a political newbie allowed himself to be made use of by the ex-WP gang to oust CST. His subsequent acts of civil disobedience also fell on infertile soil, as S'porean voters largely eschew confrontational politics.

Personally I think CSJ deserves a 2nd chance. He's discarded his street activist stance, and is more focussed on offering alternative policies. Plus we need to vote in as many oppo members as possible if we don't want Parliament to be a mere rubber-stamping institution.
hahaha...i disagree....
when pple mentioned papee, they automatically associate it with lky, even though he is out of the picture for so many years.....
when pple mentioned wp, they automatically associate it with ltk...
when pple mentioned sdp, they automatically associate it csj....
sdp must drop csj for the simple reason that csj is not eligible to stand in an election........he cant even go on stage to campaign for sdp in an election.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally I think CSJ deserves a 2nd chance. He's discarded his street activist stance, and is more focussed on offering alternative policies.

Just one question. You think CSJ has really changed given the Punggol East debacle?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just one question. You think CSJ has really changed given the Punggol East debacle?

He has. If you'd observed carefully, the PE debacle didn't bear his fingerprint, not even that of the firebrand CSJ of old, who'd have charged ahead without making any offer to WP. The old CSJ wouldn't have backed down and withdrawn either. That irrational offer was actually the brainchild of some unenlightened 'advisers' within the CEC, not CSJ himself.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do agree with you when come to voting, papies will have his way... But what I see in WP is that they don't even voice up!!! At lease tell the PAP that it is not right to hold our CPF for too long... Tell the papies that their immigration policy are all wrong... But I did not see them doing it...

They are too soft... I don't think that will wake up those idiots drivers... Give more seats to them help??? I do not think so... Hope we have another opposition which dare to beat up the drivers when they are sleeping... Slap don't help...

For Malaysia, even when come to voting, BN still have his way... Just look at the GST which just passed through after the election... But you can see the opposition MP booing on the minister when he talk about it... The opposition also voice up against it... Did WP do that??

the immigration issue started by pap will be the straw that will break the camel back. So why not view the issue in a different way.

so why shd WP stop pap from shoot their own leg? let pap hang with its own rope lah.

sporeans too self centre liao. Only when they feel that their basic rights being compromise by pap ftrash policies only then they will reject pap at the polls since nothing to lose liao. too lose political freedom is acceptable to sporeans but lose jobs, money and home to freeloading foreigners is a no no. Every time i see pap defend foreigners to put down sporeans i beri happy, first sporean especially the 60.1% farking deserved it and secondly pap pushing more and more citizens toward the alternate parties. hip hip hooray...:biggrin:

dont take LTK co-driver election slogan too literally.... if driver want to drive toward the cliff, all ltk have to do is jump out before the car goes over the cliff. dont be surprise ltk prevent driver from braking by saboing the brakes.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hri Kumar is disingenious. All PQs are directed to ministers all whom come from the PAP. If they want WP to question WP, appoint LTK as the Minister of the Opposition and then WP MPs (as well as PAP backbenchers) can file a PQ to the "Minister of the Opposition".

When Labour Party MPs question the Conservative PM Cameron during the 15 minute PM question time, you will never hear Cameron comment that Labour MPs are bad MPs because they never question their own leader Miliband. Hri doesn't understand how parliament works?

He was away sick on the day they taught the constitution to his class in law school.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
...The old CSJ wouldn't have backed down and withdrawn either. That irrational offer was actually the brainchild of some unenlightened 'advisers' within the CEC, not CSJ himself.

CSJ came across as a good logical and fiery speaker but he was too headstrong for his own good in the past. He should be able to set the pappies' arse on fire if he got elected into Parliament in GE2016. Interesting political landscape when CSJ is made MP.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
He has. If you'd observed carefully, the PE debacle didn't bear his fingerprint, not even that of the firebrand CSJ of old, who'd have charged ahead without making any offer to WP. The old CSJ wouldn't have backed down and withdrawn either. That irrational offer was actually the brainchild of some unenlightened 'advisers' within the CEC, not CSJ himself.
hahaha....sdp would be more credible if it go ahead and contest PE BE rather than made such a kuku offer to wp......making sdp looks like a kuku party...
csj is the leader, he cannot pass the blame to his cec members......

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
csj is the leader, he cannot pass the blame to his cec members......

Of course as the sec-gen CSJ has to take responsibility. My point was that the SDP today is more than just CSJ alone; it is a collective entity comprising many like-minded but strong-willed (and talented) individuals who come together and consensually set party directives, policy and strategy. In any case, I see the next GE as probably CSJ's swansong as sec-gen.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the immigration issue started by pap will be the straw that will break the camel back. So why not view the issue in a different way.

so why shd WP stop pap from shoot their own leg? let pap hang with its own rope lah.

sporeans too self centre liao. Only when they feel that their basic rights being compromise by pap ftrash policies only then they will reject pap at the polls since nothing to lose liao. too lose political freedom is acceptable to sporeans but lose jobs, money and home to freeloading foreigners is a no no. Every time i see pap defend foreigners to put down sporeans i beri happy, first sporean especially the 60.1% farking deserved it and secondly pap pushing more and more citizens toward the alternate parties. hip hip hooray...:biggrin:

dont take LTK co-driver election slogan too literally.... if driver want to drive toward the cliff, all ltk have to do is jump out before the car goes over the cliff. dont be surprise ltk prevent driver from braking by saboing the brakes.:rolleyes:

WP should help the Singaporean to get PAP on the right track... So you are saying they are doing the right things that let PAP to drive us to holland so as to get more votes from us after PAP screwed us??? This is the type of Opposition we are looking for???

PAP are not shooting at their legs... They are shooting at Singaporeans... WP are looking at it and clap hand... By doing this they getting more votes...:rolleyes:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP should help the Singaporean to get PAP on the right track... So you are saying they are doing the right things that let PAP to drive us to holland so as to get more votes from us after PAP screwed us??? This is the type of Opposition we are looking for???

Wrong. PAP should help Singaporeans by getting itself on the right track. By screwing up, then blame opposition for their own screw up and then get more votes from you - to you that is logical?

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I would love to believe, it's quite hard to fathom that CSJ is not a dominant character within the SDP. Much less the collective party can tell him to do something that he personally strongly disagrees with. When you join or are part of the SDP, CSJ has to be a very big factor. This a party that scores average and the party leader could stay on for 2 decades. Even with better scoring parties WP and SPP, when members leave, Low/Sylvia and Chiam were often cited as reasons.

Effectively, the SDP is like SDA, RP or SPP. The only difference is that CSJ is still a lot more intelligent than Desmond or KJ and more liberal than Chiam, which is why more people stick on and SDP has more members.

In any case, I see the next GE as probably CSJ's swansong as sec-gen.

Don't think so. At least until GE 2021. CSJ will not even be 60 - rather young age for politics.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wrong. PAP should help Singaporeans by getting itself on the right track. By screwing up, then blame opposition for their own screw up and then get more votes from you - to you that is logical?

Than what is WP talking about checks and Balances?? The co-driver theory?? That is why I said, WP just sit there doing nothing and votes will flow in... Pathetic Singaporean...:(

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Effectively, the SDP is like SDA, RP or SPP. The only difference is that CSJ is still a lot more intelligent than Desmond or KJ and more liberal than Chiam, which is why more people stick on and SDP has more members.

I think SDP members are a self-selected group – they are attracted by the liberal ideology more than CSJ as an icon, join and stay on. SDP is probably the most ideology-based party in Singapore, though some degree of pragmatism has crept in in its policy formulation. And what many don't know is that CSJ is a good listener and quite democratic as a leader, so that he never monopolizes decision-making which is usually the result of consensus. Of course within the CEC some voices are louder and hence influence decisions more.

Don't think so. At least until GE 2021. CSJ will not even be 60 - rather young age for politics.

He'll continue to contest but I think his days as sec-gen are numbered, if he truly believes in party renewal. Personally I think succession planning should start now, if he's to avoid going down the same path as CST and SPP.

If he overstayed his welcome, disgruntled members would leave, and few would want to join the party. That would be the beginning of the end.

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Than what is WP talking about checks and Balances?? The co-driver theory?? That is why I said, WP just sit there doing nothing and votes will flow in... Pathetic Singaporean...:(

I have already rested my case that you are singling out WP because it is the biggest threat to the PAP. Safe to say, you told a lie and you have never voted for the opposition before. By the way, ghost operation tactic is not new, but I still want to address those with rebuttals.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think SDP members are a self-selected group – they are attracted by the liberal ideology more than CSJ as an icon, join and stay on. SDP is probably the most ideology-based party in Singapore, though some degree of pragmatism has crept in in its policy formulation. And what many don't know is that CSJ is a good listener and quite democratic as a leader, so that he never monopolizes decision-making which is usually the result of consensus. Of course within the CEC some voices are louder and hence influence decisions more.

In my view, SDP's ideology is anything but liberal. Not that SDP is not liberal, but SDP's ideology is actually saying and doing things that no one has ever tried before i.e. going into no man's land. This has won it hardcore fans though it has caused some middle ground deficits (but not enough to paint itself as out-of-whack like what RP has). The advantage is that unlike PAP and WP which depends on electoral success and will totally crumble without, SDP can hold on without.

Some who have left the SDP, such as Jarrod Luo, cited lack of democracy and consensus as the reason. I think there is a limit in allowing every member leeway. You become like a group of independents outfit like NSP and still lose members in the end.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think it is any form of political ideology. Secondly despite its existence in its present form, it does not resemble a political party with budding politicians. People like Paul T are better placed to be adjudicators, judges and consensus builders. They are our social conscience and people who are glue to social cohesion.

The people that are attracted to SDP are attracted to CSJ and there is unlikely anyone keen to push him out and if there are any, they will be outnumbered. It's very much his call where he wants to take SDP to.

I think they SDP filled a void when we found the PAP trying to think for us. Now with many expressing their views on the internet, blogging etc the need no longer is as big.

I think SDP members are a self-selected group – they are attracted by the liberal ideology more than CSJ as an icon, join and stay on. SDP is probably the most ideology-based party in Singapore.

If he overstayed his welcome, disgruntled members would leave, and few would want to join the party. That would be the beginning of the end.