• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP Spin - Onus on workers to prove hunger for jobs

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
So garment admits then that the playing field is tilted against Singaporeans in our own bloody country and we need to tilt it back.. Fuck them lah!!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
So garment admits then that the playing field is tilted against Singaporeans in our own bloody country and we need to tilt it back.. Fuck them lah!!

It isn't tilted against Singaporeans. It's tilted against anyone who expects high wages without corresponding productivity gains. It just so happens that most Singaporeans fall into this category.

If foreigners in Singapore started demanding outrageous salaries while contributing nothing, I'm sure they'd be treated just like their Singaporean counterparts.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It isn't tilted against Singaporeans. It's tilted against anyone who expects high wages without corresponding productivity gains. It just so happens that most Singaporeans fall into this category.

If foreigners in Singapore started demanding outrageous salaries while contributing nothing, I'm sure they'd be treated just like their Singaporean counterparts.

And yet again?
For those miserable $$ that you claimed you got from PAP?
That you got to sing their fucking praises all over and everywhere?

You feel good about that is it?
Then allow me to feel good about speaking my mind everywhere and anywhere you sing their fucking hosannas

You can even kick me out so you can sing the praises to PAP and that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY anytime and every time without me to say my piece.
Do as your fucking hero will do. Silence all others and put his kangaroos on them.
Opps, how inconvenient that I use VPN all the time so you or PAP fucks do not even know which galaxy I write from.
So no kangaroos.
You can zap me into silence, or just kick me out totally so you can continue to sing hosannas to that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY and his PAP fucking thugs

scbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
We prefer to outsource the government and media to foreign talents. :rolleyes:

A commentary by managing editor Han Fook Kwang last Sunday, however, raised the point that firms might have good reason to prefer foreign candidates as workers here might lack hunger and skills.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The country will never see high wages for productivity gains when millions of cheap foreigners are brought in. There is NO incentive for companies to use more capital or train sinkees to get out of the PAP-mode, instead relying on cheap foreigners.
Foreigners are here because they earn more than would have back home. Let's even the playing field ...deduct from the foreigner's paycheck and amount equivalent to CPF contribution and employers are made to pay a CPF equivalent amount to a fund used for training of sinkees. Then you will see if employers truly want to hire foreigners for their productivity or as cheap labour.

BlueBrother

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the boss is the problem here. Many company owners are entrepreneur that lack good people management skills. Most do not focus on developing their employee skill and abilities. They just pay and try squeeze the most until they find that they can employ foreigners at much lower cost. Without long term nurturing of ther local employees, these employees may not be competitive and may lose out on cost and skills.

The worst is the children that are taking over their father business, they may have studied overseas and think they are so great but seriously lacking in good management skills. They tend to focus on bottom line without any regard for long term service and loyalty. I have seen senior people leave when these childen start taking over and the people that are highly regarded are the eunuchs. So now the employees are the one suffering as the bosses only care about making money.

Learning doesn't stop after school. The gov't is not doing enough to promote the development of our work force to be more competitive. If our people have undergone a wide range of skill training, they can more competitive even if they cost more.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've known since way back in the 80s and early 90s that Singaporeans are generally inferior when it comes to putting in an honest day's work and being flexible enough to accomodate changing job requirements.

One thing which begs to be questioned is what exactly is "an honest day's work"?

Not every job is like a factory operator's, where you come in at certain time, clock out at certain time. In many professions and corporate culture, it's all about the results. Either you bring in the numbers, or you are out of the job. It didn't matter whether you worked only 1 hr per week, or 24 hours per day, it's the numbers that matter. At least that's the culture where I work in.

When it comes to work attitude, I think you can't really have one set of description that applies across the board. It all depends on the nature of the job, the level it is, the kind of pay and company involved. At certain levels - maybe entry level with very minimal wages, you can't fault workers for being inflexible or lazy. If they were any good, would they be taking that low level job? If you are only willing to pay peanuts, you'll definitely get monkeys.

Then at higher levels in the company, the game changes from just putting in the hours, to protecting your own turf. In this respect there are Sinkies who would probably sell their soul to the devil just to keep their jobs, because they have a family to feed and tonnes of obligations, especially financial.

IMHO saying Sinkies being generally inferior is being uninformed and superficial. It all depends on many factors.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This is exactly the same thing that an SME boss told me recently. He's in IT so most of his IT staff are men. He said that the Sinkie man will get 'very distracted' by phone calls from his wife/GF/Mummy when he require them to work OT. His Malaysian staff live alone so he don't have that problem with them.

However, not all FTs are like that. I've got Auusies, French, Koreans etc complaining about the long working hours and the absence of work life balance here.

I often find it very strange that Bosses in Singapore actually "expect" their employees to do OT. I always thought that if those hours are required, then it should be in their employment contract. If a boss decides to hire a person from 8-6, then that should be what is expected of the employee. If significant amount of hours are required, then it clearly shows that the company is severely under-staffed and he/she is not willing to hire to save cost.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

I would think that the level of wages reflects the standard of living in a country. If the country is too expensive, then there will either be constant call for higher wages or people will job hop

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I often find it very strange that Bosses in Singapore actually "expect" their employees to do OT. I always thought that if those hours are required, then it should be in their employment contract. If a boss decides to hire a person from 8-6, then that should be what is expected of the employee. If significant amount of hours are required, then it clearly shows that the company is severely under-staffed and he/she is not willing to hire to save cost.
if dey say official working hrs is from 8-6, dey xpek 2 oso c u around after 6 ... sinkies mentality is dat dey pay u a li'l bit of moni, dey want u 2 do 4 dem mor dan wat dey pay u ...

in 1 of my ex-coy, dat svp remarked during a top mgmt meeting dat staffs in my dept were not around after 6:15 ... wen official working hrs were from 8-6 ...

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think for anything at executive level you are expected to complete your tasks properly however long it takes. Otherwise negotiate the tasks. You are expected to be around 8-6 in your employment contract so that people know where to find you when they need you. Your attitude is exactly why employers do not value Singaporeans. I find employees are very cognizant of quitting time but often it slips their mind how often they are late, take MCs and extended lunch breaks. This applies not just to Singaporeans, but if you are paid higher than others, such behaviour is less tolerable.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
A commentary by managing editor Han Fook Kwang last Sunday, however, raised the point that firms might have good reason to prefer foreign candidates as workers here might lack hunger and skills.

"Hunger" is a euphemism for willingness to be exploited or submissiveness. The intern who was paid literally peanuts and got beaten up would be a model employee for many SG employers.

Last edited:

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let's outsource to Obama at a fraction of Pinky's pay.

No need!

The entire Stinkapore parliament can be emptied of PAP maggots and cockroaches and filled with real maggots and real cockroaches with 6 legs and 2 feelers waving in front and the parliament will function even better then now.

Save so much money too.
Save money in not having to pay for PAP running dogs and engage real dogs
Skin the fucking kangaroos and use that meat to feed the real dogs

SAVE SAVE SAVE

ILovePAP

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP HAS DONE WELL FOR SG AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO WELL.

SG Workers must shape up or be jobless! Quit complainng folks. Most of SG workers sucks.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the Sillypore gahbrament really "walk the talk", show concern about getting local Silyporeans to get married and have kids then they should not be making life difficult for them to get a job. You want them to start a family, you should help them to secure a job instead of giving it away to foreigners. Otherwise many will choose to remain single. it's a vicious cycle and if this continue forever, there won't be quality life in Sillypore.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP HAS DONE WELL FOR SG AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO WELL.

SG Workers must shape up or be jobless! Quit complainng folks. Most of SG workers sucks.

Sinkee workers must show the PAP who is the boss ...show the government that giving away our jobs is foreigners is an act of treason and demand that the government prove its worthiness in governing. It is time for sinkapore springs.