• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP NOT HAPPY with this New York Times Article! Hahahaha!

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
New York Times is left-leaning, New York Post is right-leaning.

But at least the readers are offered a choice, and their journalism far excels the turgid crap SPH and Mediacorp churns out day after day, week after week.

Who's talking about whether US has more choices or Singapore has more choices, Mr. Strawman? But at least you concede that the NYT is a shitty piece of crap.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In case you didnt know current PAP ambassador to the US is also an Indian

I believe our Envoy to United Nations is also a Mama..

Only for information: Bilahari Kim Hee Kausikan's father (P.S. Raman, if my memory serves me well) was Singapore's Ambassador to the USSR (later Bilahari was the Singapore's Ambassador to the USSR) may be Indian, but I believe that his mother is of Chinese descent.

Interesting.. Thanks for the info Charlie..

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent summary.

Blaming the "riot" on alcohol is just an easy and fast excuse. Now even this simple and affordable pleasure is banned or denied access by these lowly waged workers. They can't drink in public now, looks like they will have to ask for pay increases so they can afford to drink in pubs where righteous people get drunk.

Cheers!

Face it, people don't burn police cars just because while drunk, they saw a fellow countrymen run down by a bus. Alcohol is unlikely to be the main reason why the riot took place. If you just take a moment to ponder, and put yourselves in their shoes, you will realise that this is indeed pent up anger from being ill-treated, underpaid, sometimes even cheated in a foreign land. Do I need to add being stigmatised or treated as invisible by the majority of Singaporean society, with bad living conditions and a lack of social facilities. It is clear the government have brought in too many foreigners in too short a time, without the necessary infrastructure and social integration efforts. And they still want another 2 million people in the next 15 years.

Well done NYT, for calling a spade a spade. If Singaporeans really buy whatever Braddell Brothel publishes, they are in for a rude awakening in time to come. Now seriously, many foreign drunks = rioters, it that's true, we should have thrice weekly riots in Clarke Quay. Alcohol is merely a convenient excuse la.

Anonymous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Excellent summary.

Blaming the "riot" on alcohol is just an easy and fast excuse. Now even this simple and affordable pleasure is banned or denied access by these lowly waged workers. They can't drink in public now, looks like they will have to ask for pay increases so they can afford to drink in pubs where righteous people get drunk.

Cheers!
Overcrowding this island to achieve its own goals so that they can claim that they are entitled to millionaire salaries....

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What a blithering idiot. :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;lZ6t1cPhW3s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ6t1cPhW3s[/video]

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do Pappies deny the basic fact that...
the unhappy lots of people could easily be triggered by a very small fire.

Exploited foreign workers show their unhappiness by demonstrating (Chinese bus drivers) and rioting (Little India).
No damage or no harm to ordinary people on the street shows they simply targeted the management and government.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why do Pappies deny the basic fact that...
the unhappy lots of people could easily be triggered by a very small fire.

Exploited foreign workers show their unhappiness by demonstrating (Chinese bus drivers) and rioting (Little India).
No damage or no harm to ordinary people on the street shows they simply targeted the management and government.

Nobody is forcing these foreign workers to leave their homelands to work in Singapore. The fact that there are hundreds of thousands of such workers here proves beyond doubt that they're getting an excellent deal. If they were exploited, word would soon spread and nobody would want to come.

The fact of the matter is that Singapore is a gold mine for such workers. They arrive in droves on a daily basis because working in Singapore enables them to break out of the poverty cycle when they go back home.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those were exactly the words used by my colleague when we were yakking away at the office a few days ago. He said the "riot" was very mild. No one (other than that poor fellow in the bus accident) was killed, hurt, or targeted, the cars parked on the streets were untouched, the shops along the street were untouched. In fact, he said the rioters were the ones that practiced restraint. Compared to scene of riots in other countries, EVERYTHING in the path of the rioters were destroyed. What happened at Little India was very mild indeed. Those poor fellows were just airing their grievances. I would think so, when I see them in their leisure time, all they can do is buy one or two cans of beer and sit on the pavement to drink while they watch the "rich" people happily smoking, drinking and talking loudly at the bars and pubs. Another chap told me, they might be paid much compared to where they came from, but they live here and have to buy groceries and food from local stores, at local prices, which make it costly for them.

Anyway, the authorities blame alcohol as the cause of the violence. And that is the way things are here.

Cheers!

...No damage or no harm to ordinary people on the street shows they simply targeted the management and government.

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nobody is forcing these foreign workers to leave their homelands to work in Singapore. The fact that there are hundreds of thousands of such workers here proves beyond doubt that they're getting an excellent deal. If they were exploited, word would soon spread and nobody would want to come.

The fact of the matter is that Singapore is a gold mine for such workers. They arrive in droves on a daily basis because working in Singapore enables them to break out of the poverty cycle when they go back home.

That is what exactly called "exploitation".
The greedy agents and employers under pro-business gov. policies exploited them.
As collateral damage, Sinkies salaries affected.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sinkie ain't tat much better den ft...Mr Siong...wat a name...:biggrin::biggrin:

At their bosses' mercy, they can't afford a day's illness

MR SIONG is 75, works eight hours a day, six days a week, and earns about $800 a month.

In his six years of working as a cleaner, he has not seen a pay rise.

That is supposed to change, come September, when an amendment to the law will ensure that cleaners are paid at least $1,000 a month. A similar move is supposed to help those in the security industry later.

But of the 15 cleaners and security guards that MyPaper spoke to, only two were aware that new rules are afoot to raise their pay.

What emerged, instead, was a story of extremely low wages that never seem to go up and of companies that penalise these workers for so much as falling sick.

Most workers seemed reconciled to their lot and to accepting whatever they were given - simply because they needed the job desperately.

"I'm not sure how much they will increase pay, but I need to work. If I stay at home, I have no money at all," said Mr Siong, who supports his wife.

Another cleaner, who wanted to be known only as Madam Ong, said in Mandarin: "I don't want to burden my children, who have their own families to take care of. I don't think about getting more money, it's good enough that I have a job."

The 78-year-old earns $1,200 a month for working nine hours a day, six days a week.

Workers are also worried that companies may cut their allowances to top up their basic wages. This has already happened to one 56-year-old security guard, a supervisor, who used to earn $1,900 a month, of which her basic pay was just $600.

When her basic pay was raised to $800, her total pay remained the same, as the firm took away allowances totalling $200.

Another 56-year-old security guard at a shopping mall said: "This industry is unfair, and companies can always cheat."

The guard, like several others, pointed out that companies gave their workers an attendance allowance of around $200 a month to make sure they did not miss a single day's work. "We won't get the attendance allowance, if we are sick even for a day."

Nonetheless, some have assured workers that they will not be exploited.

Labour MP Zainal Sapari said: "One of the things that NTUC is planning to do is to organise briefing workshops to ensure that workers in these two industries are aware and there is clarity. Workers can always seek help from the union or Ministry of Manpower. We want to ensure that, overall, they get a better pay package."

Mr T. Mogan, president of the Security Association of Singapore, noted: "If employers try to cut corners, their workers may go to other companies, and this will create a manpower shortage for them."

He said that workers should not be paid less when there are efforts to increase wages.

But will workers be bold enough to complain?

"There is a reason for them to be fearful of being exploited. In these industries, the bosses call the shots," said CIMB economist Song Seng Wun.

He said that clients of the security and cleaning firms could play their part by absorbing some of the extra manpower costs.

"If they resist, the bosses (of the security and cleaning firms) will look at ways to keep their labour costs down," he said.

[email protected]
- See more at: http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/...rd-a-days-illness-234712#sthash.7bwtZzi5.dpuf

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those were exactly the words used by my colleague when we were yakking away at the office a few days ago. He said the "riot" was very mild. No one (other than that poor fellow in the bus accident) was killed, hurt, or targeted, the cars parked on the streets were untouched, the shops along the street were untouched. In fact, he said the rioters were the ones that practiced restraint. Compared to scene of riots in other countries, EVERYTHING in the path of the rioters were destroyed. What happened at Little India was very mild indeed. Those poor fellows were just airing their grievances. I would think so, when I see them in their leisure time, all they can do is buy one or two cans of beer and sit on the pavement to drink while they watch the "rich" people happily smoking, drinking and talking loudly at the bars and pubs. Another chap told me, they might be paid much compared to where they came from, but they live here and have to buy groceries and food from local stores, at local prices, which make it costly for them.

Anyway, the authorities blame alcohol as the cause of the violence. And that is the way things are here.

Cheers!

Thank you, bro.
You explained it very well, beneficial to all the fair-minded readers here.

Last edited: