• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Oz house prices set to CRASH!

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Better to do it now than to wait for the trolls to set on this.

Any comments?

Bleak prediction for house prices <!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_headline) -->

<!-- // .story-headline -->

<!-- // .story-info -->

<!-- // .story-header-tools --> <!-- .story-header --> <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_introduction, weight=high) --> AN IMF economist predicts sharp falls in house prices, and estimates Australia and New Zealand have the biggest price misalignment.<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_introduction) -->

<!-- // .story-intro --> <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_body, weight=high) --> International Monetary Fund economist Prakash Loungani has found plenty of reasons to remain glum.
Mr Loungani, at a National Economists Club in Washington today, presented his analysis of housing busts since 1970 in the countries that make up the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.
His prediction: home prices will fall much farther and for much longer.
On average, the previous housing slumps lasted 18 quarters, with prices dropping 22 per cent from peak to trough. By contrast, the current housing slump has lasted only 14 quarters, during which prices have dropped just 15 per cent.
<hr size="1"> Sign up to the PerthNow Business newsletter
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

<!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_related, weight=medium) --> Related Coverage

<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_related) -->
<!-- // .item .ipos-1 . irpos-1 -->
<!-- // .group-content -->
<!-- // .group item-count-1 --> End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

<!-- // .story-sidebar --> <hr size="1"> But the latest boom was so much bigger than the previous ones that it's logical to anticipate an even more brutal downturn, Mr Loungani argued. Prices rose 113 per cent over 41 quarters, compared with 39 per cent average price increase over 39 quarters seen in the previous booms.
Mr Loungani likened the current cycle to a rollercoaster that has roared up a steep hump and now needs to come down again.
"A lot of adjustment has taken place in house prices, so we shouldn't discount that. But it's true that we shouldn't declare victory too soon. We've now had a fresh shock from what's happening in Europe," he said after the luncheon.
Mr Loungani marshalled other evidence that home prices are still inflated.
He found that prices in OECD countries in 2009 were substantially out of whack with rents and incomes in those countries, compared to average values from 1970 to 2000. In the long run, he argued, incomes and rents will act as weights on home prices, bringing them back to earth.
Price-to-rent and price-to-income ratios were well above historical values in all OECD countries, except Japan, Germany and Switzerland, according to Loungani's analysis.
Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands and Belgium saw the biggest misalignment with historical price-to-income values, while Canada, Sweden, Norway and Australia saw the largest gaps in price-to-rent values.
Mr Loungani said his analysis of prices and rents in US metro areas suggests that many markets on the West coast and in parts of the US Northeast could yet see prices plummet a further 30-40 per cent.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better to do it now than to wait for the trolls to set on this..

Property market in Australia will not crash but may quiet down for a short period.. Only over supply of housing will crash the property market ie US (or SG in the 80s?)

Do standby your money and wait for opportunities. Some said I am nuts but I do believe you can time the market..

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Property market in Australia will not crash but may quiet down for a short period.. Only over supply of housing will crash the property market ie US (or SG in the 80s?)

Do standby your money and wait for opportunities. Some said I am nuts but I do believe you can time the market..

around the western suburbs here, there are houses that have been stucked in the market for ages and these are asking for $700k+. i saw the RP data, owners bought way too expensive and unable to service the loans and had to sell off.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
around the western suburbs here, there are houses that have been stucked in the market for ages and these are asking for $700k+. i saw the RP data, owners bought way too expensive and unable to service the loans and had to sell off.

Can't service loan and still ask for 700K+?

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nothing last forever, and anything is possible. However, if there's a crash, it will not be as bad as the US.

The only reason Australian banks are not exposed to subprime GFC because their investment in America are relatively small, not because they are better.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing last forever, and anything is possible. However, if there's a crash, it will not be as bad as the US.

The only reason Australian banks are not exposed to subprime GFC because their investment in America are relatively small, not because they are better.

There are a few indicators that would affect the housing market
1) Population growth
2) Employment
3) Economy of Australia
4) Supply

I do not see any negative signs at all.. I am saying this without refering the statistic figures produced by ABS, AHURI, REIV, RP Data, Housing Associations etc. If you open up the data books, you can double confirm it will be going upwards..

Now, someone might argue the Subprime, Greece, low USD etc.. It depends on whether we rely much on them.. for SG, I would say yes..

Alright, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.. We shall wait and see.. After the dust is settled ,I expect it to have another jump in prices..

:biggrin::p:wink:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is a monkey-see monkey-do scenario.. Ppl buy houses without considering the "location" and its growth for the next decades.. You only pay a premium if you confirm the value for the said site will grow in the next decades..

I paid a 50k premium for a dilapidated hse in a 1/4 acre land (within 8km) in 2009, now I am sitting at > 500k gain and I have pumped in about $25k improvement works only.. Later this year, I will invest another 50k for landscaping, 2m high brick fence and a privacy auto swing gate. My Italian design wrought iron 3.5m gate will arrive from GuangZhou in 2 months time for installation.. Yahoo !

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh so far I've gathered you are saying prices might slow,stabilise over the next 6 months. Maybe a slight dip over the period as well due to Greece,eurozone crisis and maybe even china? But would boom after that? Is that what you are predicting?

There are a few indicators that would affect the housing market
1) Population growth
2) Employment
3) Economy of Australia
4) Supply

I do not see any negative signs at all.. I am saying this without refering the statistic figures produced by ABS, AHURI, REIV, RP Data, Housing Associations etc. If you open up the data books, you can double confirm it will be going upwards..

Now, someone might argue the Subprime, Greece, low USD etc.. It depends on whether we rely much on them.. for SG, I would say yes..

Alright, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.. We shall wait and see.. After the dust is settled ,I expect it to have another jump in prices..

:biggrin::p:wink:

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I paid a 50k premium for a dilapidated hse in a 1/4 acre land (within 8km) in 2009, now I am sitting at > 500k gain and I have pumped in about $25k improvement works only.. Later this year, I will invest another 50k for landscaping, 2m high brick fence and a privacy auto swing gate. My Italian design wrought iron 3.5m gate will arrive from GuangZhou in 2 months time for installation.. Yahoo !

Bro,

This is wat i will do - I will refinance or add with a re-advancable line of credit. The newly increased line of Credit will be a great help to acquire RE if the price dip. Even in the worst case, in the next 12-18 months having your paws on a source of credit is going to make a big diff :wink:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I tend to agree with axe. Much of Oz's wealth is still in the very dirt we walk on everyday.

It would seem like the GFC hit badly those countries that dabbled with "creative" financial instruments, got hit the worst. Granted that the banking system is one that makes money when no money exists, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:, this time they went too far by selling forward a bunch of rotten assets one too many times.

In Singapore, this will hit sooner than later, especially when LKY ups the lorry and the REAL state of Temasek's failure will start percolating to the surface of SG politics.

While Australia is indeed a fundamentally wealthy country, SG on the other hand has just learnt the worst lesson in this GFC; i.e.- when in trouble, just prostitute your sovereign assets and nation interests to any foreigner willing to pay the higher price. This only show the weak will of the politicians to incubate true human capital from within and only taking the short way out, i.e.- Foreign capital injections that raise inflation massively for the locals.

By so doing, locals see their spending power cut, a the side effect of which sees them unwilling to spend, fear job security and taking the safe route (being low profile) than willing to explore and take risks. Extrapolating this to the future, SG will thus become the piggy bank to house assets of the rich, dirty money or otherwise, and while locals can boast of increases in asset value, wealth creation will grind to negligible amounts.

I'm glad I made the choice to come to Oz, where I can pursue a lifestyle of my choice and have time and focus enough to make decisions on investments where I could not afford the time in SG.

Oz has become my centre of "Zen", where I can have an simple life here and manage my modest investments via SG.

I once had a teenage dream of sitting behind an elaborate desk in my study and conversing with my banker in SG, like some high-powered, well heeled billionaire.

I'm no billionaire, but having experienced my banker call me and setting up a video conference that I take on my notebook while on my hands and knees pulling up those $#%^# winter weeds in my garden is a reality I've fulfilled that I know I could never if I stayed in SG.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't service loan and still ask for 700K+?

some have bought way too high, didnt take into consideration of the repayment loan and end up with broken marriages and bad debts. Others spend a heap on rennovation; $1k+ expresso making machine, in-room entertainment, italian marbles etc.. and for what? they cant repay the renno nor the housing loan.

but even the place is bought a cheap price still depend on whether the owner can repay the loan or not. I had also attended a mortgagee auction several month ago, and this owner bought the place at $165k 10 years ago failed to repay the loan and the bank had to seized his property to force sell.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh so far I've gathered you are saying prices might slow,stabilise over the next 6 months. Maybe a slight dip over the period as well due to Greece,eurozone crisis and maybe even china? But would boom after that? Is that what you are predicting?

Ash,

what i heard, from someone who's in property development in Melbourne, is that due to the recent changes in property ownership in Australia, those area favoured by Asians, aka PRCs, like Box Hill, Doncaster etc, the property prices have softened, some by as much as 10%.

and from what i've been observing in Sydney, it's stabilizing as well. With Ftich throwing another spanner in with regards to Spain & the Euro, i think best is hold cash now. i'll be eyeing the mkt for a while.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

This is wat i will do - I will refinance or add with a re-advancable line of credit. The newly increased line of Credit will be a great help to acquire RE if the price dip. Even in the worst case, in the next 12-18 months having your paws on a source of credit is going to make a big diff :wink:

Yes Asychee.. thanks for ya input.. I am talking to the banker now, hopefully they'll approve it by allowing me to cash out more $$$.. thereafter, I'll enter into the market again..

I asked my original lender last month.. they only allow me to cash out 100k.. knn.. I hope the new lender will look into the actual value deeper..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro, these are only my assumptions.. if I am accurate, I should be retiring by now.. Sadly, I have to wait for another few yrs..

I am trying to achieve a passive income of 100k/pa.. if I achieve it, I'll quit.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro, these are only my assumptions.. if I am accurate, I should be retiring by now.. Sadly, I have to wait for another few yrs..

I am trying to achieve a passive income of 100k/pa.. if I achieve it, I'll quit.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

No worries mate, not trying to get you to commit to anything. I'm aware of the risk involved in taking advise off the internet. :wink: Looks like establishing a line of credit would be important in the coming months. I have no assets, no property, I suppose that makes it harder for me. Got some cash lying around in high saver accounts thats all.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
No worries mate, not trying to get you to commit to anything. I'm aware of the risk involved in taking advise off the internet. :wink: Looks like establishing a line of credit would be important in the coming months. I have no assets, no property, I suppose that makes it harder for me. Got some cash lying around in high saver accounts thats all.

It should be ADVICE.. ~ advise is a verb & advice is a noun
I hope I am correct.. haha

Always remember, investors like crisis.. this is a moment of wealth exchange.. those sotongs not careful will end up bankrupt.. those who waited patiently & bet all their life savings when opportunity strikes, will gain. Good luck !

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ash,

what i heard, from someone who's in property development in Melbourne, is that due to the recent changes in property ownership in Australia, those area favoured by Asians, aka PRCs, like Box Hill, Doncaster etc, the property prices have softened, some by as much as 10%.

and from what i've been observing in Sydney, it's stabilizing as well. With Ftich throwing another spanner in with regards to Spain & the Euro, i think best is hold cash now. i'll be eyeing the mkt for a while.

Areas such as Balwyn, Balwyn north, Kew, Camberwell & Malvern will hardly drop due to schools and infrastructures. My gut feeling tells me the great Australia is like a 'magnet'.. PRC will take some time to digest the new ruling.. once they work out the loop holes, these PRC will be back again..

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
It should be ADVICE.. ~ advise is a verb & advice is a noun
I hope I am correct.. haha

Always remember, investors like crisis.. this is a moment of wealth exchange.. those sotongs not careful will end up bankrupt.. those who waited patiently & bet all their life savings when opportunity strikes, will gain. Good luck !

Cheebai since when you become Ah Sam's kah kia ah ?