• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Overseas students don't want to work in Singapore

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whats wrong with NS? As far as I'm concern, Reservist serves as a good holiday camp from my stressful working environment. Go back sleep for 2 weeks, no need to think. Plus get free running shoes, bags and watever other equipment U can get from E-mart. Its like an extra 2 weeks of leave for me. So far every company I've work for have been very NS supportive

Since NS is so beneficial, why donch your Papaya masters make your FTrash friends serve NS? Talk cock also donch know how to! *shake head*

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>>There is one way to retain local talent, change you govt for goodness sake, the people in there have no clues in getting problem solved.<<<

66%: How fare u defile my beluved PAPee! *hand waving cracked coolie rice bowl*

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>>This is not a phenomenon that just affecting Singapore. Anyone going to a 1st world nation to further their studies from a 3rd world country will be attracted by the opportunities in these advanced nations. <<<

1-3.jpg

Are u saying that my kingdom is a 3rd world country? Have *we* not achieved the Swiss std of living? *chey*

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent points.

What the Govt has not disclosed is the number of Singaporeans that have studied abroad who are no longer in Singapore.He only revealed those that had high scores.

Those that have gone abroad, will be beacon to their siblings, relatives, friends and eventually very few real singaporeans will decide to study locally or even stay in Singapore.

If they had put a strategy to offer tertiary places to all Singaporeans who reasonably qualify and make it affordable, we will not be in this mess. Its quite ridiculous to have students scoring high grades but cannot qualify locally but are accepted by 1st world uni who are at least middle tier.

Why do U think the government spend so much money to get the elites from other countries to study or work here? Its to increase the talent pool. There has been a lot of article about this for years now.

A side effect of globalization is that talents from your own country can easily hop over to the competition. There is an urgent need for all countries to do whatever they can to retain their talented and try to dig talented pple from other countries. A good example would be what PRC did recently, they offered PRCs who have migrated overseas, very good package to go back home and also offer million dollar packages to top researchers to work there.

Sadlywe're usually not the top choice destination which is why there is an even greater need to for the government to continue trying to retain local talents and attract talented pple from other countries

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm sure there are people have with alot of spare time e.g. those in gov't & GLC.

However If you work in an MNC where head count is strictly controlled, there's no one to cover for you. Plenty of 'real' work to do that won't get done when you aren't there.

This is especially true when you are doing regional work.

If you tell the boss you are stuck in Spore because of non-essential in-camp training, you'll soon be out of a job. They can find a cheaper alternative foreigners :rolleyes:

How about the self-employed :confused: If the guys who started google had to deal with NS how successful would they have been:confused:

We'll never how much of an impact NS has an but take a look at all the Spore success stories. How many are there :confused:

FYI,

1)I work for a French MNC

2)I do regional work and actually have to travel frequently for my work

3)If my boss knows I have in-camp training which I always tell him the moment I receive the notification 5-6 mths in advance, we start planning to make sure my projects does not clash with my reservist training

Doesn't seem like I have problems with reservist. I used to work for some local SMEs, no problems either

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since NS is so beneficial, why donch your Papaya masters make your FTrash friends serve NS? Talk cock also donch know how to! *shake head*

1)PAP doesn't pay me
2)I have never voted for them in my life
3)I don't belong to any org associated with PAP
4)No I don't work in the public sector nor have I ever worked in any GLCs

Seriously I wouldn't want any foreigners knowing our defense capabilities and reading our military doctrine. In fact I'm against sons of PRs doing NS unless they turn citizen. If they stay long enough for the son to be eligible for NS and still not turn citizen, I'm all for revoking their PR status.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Excellent points.

What the Govt has not disclosed is the number of Singaporeans that have studied abroad who are no longer in Singapore.He only revealed those that had high scores.

I don't think pulishing numbers is going to accomplish anything. I'd rather they spend the time trying to get back any cost incurred if these pple decided not to come home, e.g. money from scholarships etc. If U cant force them to come back, at least get back what we spent on them and spend it on someone better

Those that have gone abroad, will be beacon to their siblings, relatives, friends and eventually very few real singaporeans will decide to study locally or even stay in Singapore.

Like I said before talent retention is something that all countries(with US probably being the exception) faces.

If they had put a strategy to offer tertiary places to all Singaporeans who reasonably qualify and make it affordable, we will not be in this mess. Its quite ridiculous to have students scoring high grades but cannot qualify locally but are accepted by 1st world uni who are at least middle tier.

Lowering the standards to accommodate someone with reasonable but not excellent score is just basically lowering the standard of the country's standard. It only gives the impression that we have a lot of talent just because we are producing a lot of graduates but the standard of those graduates would ultimately be lacking compared to the top schools in other nations. Which would totally defeats the purpose.

However I do agree with the fact that we need to make sure that students who make the grade should be given the chance to further their studies here. There is no excuse to deny them that chance.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am actually surprised. Any educated person would look for the actual numbers to make an appropriate assessment. Thats the reason why transparency is called for. Don't you want to know how bad the damage?

I don't think pulishing numbers is going to accomplish anything. I'd rather they spend the time trying to get back any cost incurred if these pple decided not to come home, e.g. money from scholarships etc. If U cant force them to come back, at least get back what we spent on them and spend it on someone better

Its one of the excellent points that you raised.
Like I said before talent retention is something that all countries(with US probably being the exception) faces.

Please do read the comments again. People that we reject have been accepted by 1st world universities. Tan Cheng Bock, the ex-mp argued these points passionately that they tweaked the CPF to allow funds for overseas education. Nobody talking about lowering standards.
Lowering the standards to accommodate someone with reasonable but not excellent score is just basically lowering the standard of the country's standard. It only gives the impression that we have a lot of talent just because we are producing a lot of graduates but the standard of those graduates would ultimately be lacking compared to the top schools in other nations. Which would totally defeats the purpose.

Yes.
However I do agree with the fact that we need to make sure that students who make the grade should be given the chance to further their studies here. There is no excuse to deny them that chance.

Bro, I got the impression from your past postings that you always seem to misinterpret and make the wrong assumptions or grapple with the wrong issues. Its not that bad in this case but I suspect you must be speed reading with little success.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
1)PAP doesn't pay me
2)I have never voted for them in my life
3)I don't belong to any org associated with PAP
4)No I don't work in the public sector nor have I ever worked in any GLCs

Seriously I wouldn't want any foreigners knowing our defense capabilities and reading our military doctrine. In fact I'm against sons of PRs doing NS unless they turn citizen. If they stay long enough for the son to be eligible for NS and still not turn citizen, I'm all for revoking their PR status.

So what is your NS vocation then? :rolleyes:

This NS thingy is actucally a big con job that white scum cannot even answer them properly. And you are so happy serving and wasting time there. *shake head*

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, I got the impression from your past postings that you always seem to misinterpret and make the wrong assumptions or grapple with the wrong issues. Its not that bad in this case but I suspect you must be speed reading with little success.

Yeah. Its a problem I seem to have developed when I started visiting this site. Too much random bullshit and senseless government bashing with little substance(usually none) to support their claim. I just scan through without actually bother to think too deep into it and answer with the whatever comes into my mind first. I in the midst of learning how to reply random Bullshit with random bullshit

In which case to answer to your final point

1)A lot of Unis in 1st world country which are not their State/Provincial unis or in the Ivy league usually have lower standards when accepting students which I pointed out previously, something we should not do

2)I agree with U that we need to make sure our own local talents who make the cut is able to further their studies here. Lowering the standards is not the way to go, we should either expand the current ones or build another one which is currently underway

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Combat. And no I'm not an officer neither do I belong in battalion/company HQ.

So what are you defending for? Have you ask yourself? There are many free loaders that are not contributing are enjoying the fruit of your labour, sweat and blood bled.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
3)If my boss knows I have in-camp training which I always tell him the moment I receive the notification 5-6 mths in advance, we start planning to make sure my projects does not clash with my reservist training

You company may have projects, I & my colleagues have targets.
Our company uses employee evaluation every 6 months. If I can't meet my tagets while a foreign colleague can, how do you think it'll look :confused:

So even if your boss is supportive, not all bosses are the same

My boss is an angmo & he's NOT sympathetic to a "local" problem like NS. Especially if the angmo is married to a malay & is hostile to chinese.

If you have worked in an american MNC then you know it can be a dog eat dog environment. I've seen people being replaced because their new bosses wanted to bring their own people in:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whats wrong with NS? As far as I'm concern, Reservist serves as a good holiday camp from my stressful working environment. Go back sleep for 2 weeks, no need to think. Plus get free running shoes, bags and watever other equipment U can get from E-mart. Its like an extra 2 weeks of leave for me. So far every company I've work for have been very NS supportive

do you get to unload some rounds too? :biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sALiuWg_I1k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sALiuWg_I1k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S5Ev19NsDQ4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S5Ev19NsDQ4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Part 2

"Roots" and family ties

Jonah Tang observed that students from other countries such as Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan and India return home as they feel a greater sense of belonging.

He thinks that Singaporean students are less patriotic, and feel no sense of "rootedness", so they can "grow roots" anywhere.

But according to the survey by the organising committee of Experiences 2009, many students also said that they wish to return to Singapore three to five years after working overseas, for their families.

For this same reason, Jonah Tang hopes to return after three or four years, provided there are suitable job opportunities.

Li Wanzhen, 20, a first year LSE student, also thinks that in the long run, she will feel lonely and want to return home. But the economic conditions and whether there are attractive job opportunities will be an important consideration.

Qiu Junxiong, 27, who studied in San Francisco, is one of those who returned one year after he graduated. He said that he returned to Singapore because there happened to be a suitable job opening.

He thinks that if one wishes to develop a career in Asia, they should seriously consider returning to Singapore. After all, as Asians, they also have an advantage on their "home turf".

"The government should not be unduly worried about brain drain, more Singaporeans now want to work in Asia instead. They are happy to use Singapore as their base, and will return every few months, instead of staying in Europe or the States for many years."

Government efforts in retaining talent

The government has also invested resources in efforts to connect to overseas Singaporeans. The National Population Secretariat (NPS) set up the Overseas Singaporean Unit (OSU) in 2006 to help overseas Singaporeans maintain contact with Singapore.

An NPS spokesperson told my paper that with the increasing globalisation, many Singaporeans are choosing to study, work and live abroad. More than 180,000 are now studying or working overseas and 63 per cent of them are between 20 to 54 years old.

Singaporeans go overseas to expand their horizons or gain experience, but whether they maintain contact with Singapore is one of the critical factors that determine whether they return.

They have observed that more Singaporeans have returned in recent years, hoping to ride on Singapore's economic growth. The response to "Singapore Day" organised by OSU in various cities around the world has also become increasingly popular.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha! Reminds me of myself when I first got into the old sbf. Too many stuff and got screwed by the chaps here. I too speed read too but have learnt to see the forest for the trees and the forest for the trees with the occasional stuff ups.

You assume that the Govt is perfect or close to it. One must have an inquistive and querying mind. In the 1st world, people thru history have learnt to make the government prove themslves, while Asian and 3rd world societies, it is the other way around - mandate from heaven until they stuff it up. My reservist battalion is one of the best performing and has the least safety issues because I always tell my officers and men not to accept the rules and procedures as the gospel truth. They are expected to see reason in everything.

Yeah. Its a problem I seem to have developed when I started visiting this site. Too much random bullshit and senseless government bashing with little substance(usually none) to support their claim. I just scan through without actually bother to think too deep into it and answer with the whatever comes into my mind first. I in the midst of learning how to reply random Bullshit with random bullshit

In which case to answer to your final point

Again you need to read my original post carefully. I hope you are not classifying NUS with Ivy League / Oxbridge. I clearly stated high scores and mid tier Uni. High scores means A & B. Do read properly. How did you read that as accepting lower standards.

1)A lot of Unis in 1st world country which are not their State/Provincial unis or in the Ivy league usually have lower standards when accepting students which I pointed out previously, something we should not do

2)I agree with U that we need to make sure our own local talents who make the cut is able to further their studies here. Lowering the standards is not the way to go, we should either expand the current ones or build another one which is currently underway

Last edited: