• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Overcoming a rough patch in life

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi, I just touched 50 this year and I’m currently in a rough patch in career. I was a Senior executive previously and drawing good income, 4 months ago I lost my job and I find job opportunities for my age are very few. I’ve not given up and will keep fighting to get out of this rut.

has anyone of you hit rock bottom in life and managed to bounced back up successfully. Can you please share some advice?
Sales post unless you are from same industry of the new job.
If not it will be difficult to land yourself an interview.
Age and last drawn salary is what employers looking at before selection.
The current jobs market is very bad.

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sales post unless you are from same industry of the new job.
If not it will be difficult to land yourself an interview.
Age and last drawn salary is what employers looking at before selection.
The current jobs market is very bad.

yes. Recruitor tend to set( lower) your salary expectations by saying employer can get younger people at cheaper cost , they are hungrier also blah blah .. hear liao also abit sian.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I do not say this in jest. If you can find the raw materials and someone who knows how to sew stuff you can make a ton of money from making something that just resembles a face mask. It does not even have to actually filter anything at all.

You are a bloody fucker you know that

ToaPehGong

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi, I just touched 50 this year and I’m currently in a rough patch in career. I was a Senior executive previously and drawing good income, 4 months ago I lost my job and I find job opportunities for my age are very few. I’ve not given up and will keep fighting to get out of this rut.

has anyone of you hit rock bottom in life and managed to bounced back up successfully. Can you please share some advice?
At least you're knighted. Lim Peh only demigod

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal

sam and nayr69 touched on good point already. clear all debts if possible. live frugally.

while you're searching for a new job in the same field, be flexible and look at other possibilites. Apply to them at the same time and start drawing an income as you are looking for your "ideal" job.

The short term goal is not to go under since you've been thrown off the boat. Long term is to find another similar boat or better. Don't for the sake of appearances and arrogance insist on only same or similar job with similar benefits. Stay with your head above water first, then can take your time to pick which boat you want to sail in.

hope this helps and good luck. :thumbsup:

glocky

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sir Richard is a knighted elite. How come can have rough patch?

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
sam and nayr69 touched on good point already. clear all debts if possible. live frugally.

while you're searching for a new job in the same field, be flexible and look at other possibilites. Apply to them at the same time and start drawing an income as you are looking for your "ideal" job.

The short term goal is not to go under since you've been thrown off the boat. Long term is to find another similar boat or better. Don't for the sake of appearances and arrogance insist on only same or similar job with similar benefits. Stay with your head above water first, then can take your time to pick which boat you want to sail in.

hope this helps and good luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bro for your advice. I really appreciate fellow bros where who share constructive views and opinion!

jw5

Loyal
Whether you have really hit rock bottom depends on 2 important factors:

1. How many people are there in your family and who are depending on you for financial support?
2. What is your current net worth and housing situation?

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal

I had been in this situation before. If you want to bounce back successfully, the first thing to do is find another job. Choose your next employer wisely and accept a little pay cut.

There is still many short term contract and temporary jobs available out there (for senior management jobs)

Never ever allow yourself to go into long term unemployment.

The only person to turn around this situation is you. Your future lies in your hand :smile:

Last edited:

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy also started from his bottom. :sneaky:

attachment.php

Who’s that in the pic?

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had been in this situation before. If you want to bounce back successfully, the first thing to do is find another job. Choose your next employer wisely and accept a little pay cut.

There is still many short term contract and temporary jobs available out there (for senior management jobs)

Never ever allow yourself to go into long term unemployment.

The only person to turn around this situation is you. Your future lies in your hand :smile:

Agreed. We create our own destiny.

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether you have really hit rock bottom depends on 2 important factors:

1. How many people are there in your family and who are depending on you for financial support?
2. What is your current net worth and housing situation?

Still have dependents to feed , net worth.....

jw5

Loyal
Look for another job, even if at a lower pay. If possible, start your own business or be a freelancer, even if temporary until you get a permanent job. If your net worth is enough, you can even do something that you like without worrying about employment/business income. :wink:

Still have dependents to feed , net worth.....

jw5

Loyal
Is it because your current pay is $13K? :sneaky:

Senior management positions are in demand now as foreign expats cannot come in due travel in their own country. One large company offered me 12k to join them as operations director but I turned them down :sneaky:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have rough patches too. lately weather is dry and skin on my feet are flaking off. have to pick up dried up scabs from the floor, reassemble piece by piece and superglue back to my feet.