• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Opposition parties cutting into the hard work of others

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have come across a rumour that certain opposition parties is trying to cut in on all the hard work that NSP had done on certain GRCs that NSP been working very very hard on.

I find such behavior very disgraceful and even lazy.

I do hope that the rumour is false. If its true, I will move whatever resources i have against that certain opposition party and their new trouble making bitch head.

Enough is enough.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will lose if no blessing from GOD. True heart with God. Tempenis GRCs, Je Lan Besat GRC, Salt Wear CDC mayor group, if they had manpower go ahead.

We still had other GRCs to contest. If you can win, everywhere can win. Be humble to all. God bless.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Hi cleareyes,

I do not know where you get such information from but I think we abide to the rules of democracy. We cannot stop other people to contest in our turfs, similarly, others cannot possibly stop us to contest in their turfs as well. We welcome all contests.

Goh Meng Seng

I have come across a rumour that certain opposition parties is trying to cut in on all the hard work that NSP had done on certain GRCs that NSP been working very very hard on.

I find such behavior very disgraceful and even lazy.

I do hope that the rumour is false. If its true, I will move whatever resources i have against that certain opposition party and their new trouble making bitch head.

Enough is enough.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi cleareyes,

I do not know where you get such information from but I think we abide to the rules of democracy. We cannot stop other people to contest in our turfs, similarly, others cannot possibly stop us to contest in their turfs as well. We welcome all contests.

Goh Meng Seng

At the same time, surely all would like to avoid 3 corner fights, right?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
At the same time, surely all would like to avoid 3 corner fights, right?

Yes, of course, 3 corner fights right now benefits nobody except PAP. But if all reasoning and common senses failed, so be it. I guess in politics, people will tend to believe they are the best people and no other people could be better than them. I guess only a multi-corner fight could give people the right sense of balance.

Goh Meng Seng

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, of course, 3 corner fights right now benefits nobody except PAP. But if all reasoning and common senses failed, so be it. I guess in politics, people will tend to believe they are the best people and no other people could be better than them. I guess only a multi-corner fight could give people the right sense of balance.

Goh Meng Seng

There has never been any real 3-(or more-)cornered fights in Singapore before. It's always PAP versus the party most prominent opposition in that constituency as a challenger (or incumbent). 3rd and even 4th challengers come in to contribute to Treasury Consolidated Fund in forfeited deposits, have never affected the results at all. E.g. J.B.J. faced 3-corners at Anson, still won, Goh C.T. faced 4-corners at Marine Parade, still won. Their main opponents returned decent results even in defeat. The others lost deposits. SDP and NSP have both experienced that, on one side or another.

Last edited:

toolanliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
why so vague, why not just say it straight. not everyone can follow oppositions' activities so closely you know.

hypocrite999

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really do not understand why the Opposition cannot work together. We all know the GRCs are pretty much intact and as such its easier to carve up the constituencies.

So the opposition should come together and decide where they want to contest. like WP for AMK, SDA and Reform Party for Bishan, NSP for Tampines etc..anyone contesting West Coast GRC?

If 2 Opposition want to contest a same GRC, why cant you guys form a 50-50 split or rather like 5 person GRC, one group take 2 the other take 3, is that so difficult?

Oppos, please contest every seat, all this by election effect etc is not going to work this time.

Also remember Oppos have been complaining for years on end that they do not have enough resources etc etc..so cant contest every seat and guess what? they get into 3 cornered fights etc...so u mean to say that there is enough resources fro 3 cornered fights?

I feel that if the Oppos work with the frame of mind that they work for the Real Singaporean, the Forgotten Singaporeans, than at least the people will have a more positive view of them.

If its all this infighting,,what what chance does Singapore have??

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP, SDA, RP, NSP, SDP should all send 1 candidate each to form a grand coalition GRC team to take on Bandit King fiefdom Tanjong Pagar GRC.

hypocrite999

Alfrescian
Loyal
At this stage, such a Grand Coalition is better than a PAP walkover, and to me its the Opposition versus the PAP not WP vs PAP , or Tan Ah Kow versus PAP.

And in opposition history, candidates from different parties have contested seats under other parties. Like that Tan Lead Shake aka Slipper Man has contested under WP at the last election right? (If I am not wrong)

So Oppos have to work together if not no hope for Singaporeans

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi cleareyes,

Goh Meng Seng

GMS, You have just confirmed it is all rubbish. Some ppl want to start a rumour to cause confusion. Beware of such ppl.

metalrover

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far, only know NSP will likely to contest Tampines & Jalan Besar, SDA-RP go for Bishan-Toa Payoh, SDP at Bukit Panjang. That's 3 GRCs and one SMC, provided no changes to these constituencies. No signs of any 3 cornered fights happening at the moment yet.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
There has never been any real 3-(or more-)cornered fights in Singapore before. It's always PAP versus the party most prominent opposition in that constituency as a challenger (or incumbent). 3rd and even 4th challengers come in to contribute to Treasury Consolidated Fund in forfeited deposits, have never affected the results at all. E.g. J.B.J. faced 3-corners at Anson, still won, Goh C.T. faced 4-corners at Marine Parade, still won. Their main opponents returned decent results even in defeat. The others lost deposits. SDP and NSP have both experienced that, on one side or another.

Earlier days, yes. These days, no more.

The only time the opposition split votes down (almost) equally was when Barisan and WP went for 3 corner with PAP. Other than that, it's always like you said - PAP, main opponent and less known opponent, with the last getting 1% to 5% at most.

FYI SDP hasn't lost its deposit before. Under CST normally it causes the 3rd party to lose deposit. SDP under CSJ never went for any 3 corner. It will be interesting to see what happens if today's SDP goes into a 3 corner esp with NSP (but not that I hope for that).

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng

So your position is, democracy means any party can contest anywhere but because of Singapore's unique situation with a dominant PAP, 3 or more corner doesn't make sense even if it is democratic?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
So your position is, democracy means any party can contest anywhere but because of Singapore's unique situation with a dominant PAP, 3 or more corner doesn't make sense even if it is democratic?

Democracy needs time to grow, especially in Singapore where there is only one dominant ruling party. Only when we process from such situation to have more diversity in parliament, we would only be doing disservice to Singapore if there are 3 corner fight.

In fact, if we are having a proportional representation system, having multi-corner contest would not have been a problem at all. It all depends on the progress and status quo of the system now.

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Democracy needs time to grow, especially in Singapore where there is only one dominant ruling party. Only when we process from such situation to have more diversity in parliament, we would only be doing disservice to Singapore if there are 3 corner fight.

In fact, if we are having a proportional representation system, having multi-corner contest would not have been a problem at all. It all depends on the progress and status quo of the system now.

Goh Meng Seng

There is a very thin line between democracy and liberalism/liberatarian. In this case, the meaning would, using your previous sentences, be:

- but I think we abide to the rules of democracy (meaning that you respect the people's decision rather than welcoming mutli-fights. the former is democratic and the latter is liberal). We cannot stop other people to contest in our turfs, similarly, others cannot possibly stop us to contest in their turfs as well. We welcome all contests (liberal).

- I guess only a multi-corner fight could give people the right sense of balance (democratic).

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FYI SDP hasn't lost its deposit before. Under CST normally it causes the 3rd party to lose deposit. SDP under CSJ never went for any 3 corner. It will be interesting to see what happens if today's SDP goes into a 3 corner esp with NSP (but not that I hope for that).

I know. When I referred to SDP and NSP having experienced that one way or the other in Marine Parade GRC, I meant that SDP was the main contestant and NSP lost deposit. That was 1992 when NSP was relatively new and unknown whereas SDP was then the biggest opposition party in Singapore with three seats in Parliament.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So far, only know NSP will likely to contest Tampines & Jalan Besar, SDA-RP go for Bishan-Toa Payoh, SDP at Bukit Panjang. That's 3 GRCs and one SMC, provided no changes to these constituencies. No signs of any 3 cornered fights happening at the moment yet.

It's quite clear that Aljunied and East Coast are spoken for by WP, Jalan Besar and Tampines by NSP, Punggol-Pasir Ris by SDA. These were the respective GRCs that they have contested in previous elections.

New declaration of interest is in Bishan-Toa Payoh by SDA and RP (jointly). So far, no other party has indicated similar interest there.