• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

One of the best WW2 tank war movies : "Fury" The Making of

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Bhai,

Will you be starting new thread on "SNIPERS"?
Why don't you start? :biggrin:

pink mist.gif

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Movies make like tank crew like stylo milo but in actual fact it scary to be in a enclosed box moving over open terrain with treeline at the opposite side.. hatch down the crew are blind with only the driver and gunner plus commander have access to periscopes which offer only a limited field of view.. even with the flir system turn on, the screen don't show much heat source in the day. I suffer motion sickness looking at the screen while the vehicle is moving..

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Movies make like tank crew like stylo milo but in actual fact it scary to be in a enclosed box moving over open terrain with treeline at the opposite side.. hatch down the crew are blind with only the driver and gunner plus commander have access to periscopes which offer only a limited field of view.. even with the flir system turn on, the screen don't show much heat source in the day. I suffer motion sickness looking at the screen while the vehicle is moving..
Means u were not TC lah. In those days, SAF tactical doctrine is what they were taught by the Jews. Which is TC always hatch open for situational awareness.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Means u were not TC lah. In those days, SAF tactical doctrine is what they were taught by the Jews. Which is TC always hatch open for situational awareness.
It always hatch down when rolling toward enemy. Convoy confirm open hatch. I never said I tank crew. While a bionix is not a tank but feeling close enough. Doctrine could have change as it donkey years since the Egyptian came.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Michael Wittmann
he was one of SS panzer ace. His exploits prove Sherman are no match to Tiger mk1. He basically destroyed a British Sherman company with only his one Tiger mk1 in less than half hour.
Having said that, Nazis germany could have last longer if they had not start building the Tiger series, instead improve on the panzer IV, which was cheaper and easier to build. Unlike now, US then prefer to mass produce lot of cheap stuff and use numbers to overwhelm the enemy.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Michael Wittmann
he was one of SS panzer ace. His exploits prove Sherman are no match to Tiger mk1. He basically destroyed a British Sherman company with only his one Tiger mk1 in less than half hour.
Having said that, Nazis germany could have last longer if they had not start building the Tiger series, instead improve on the panzer IV, which was cheaper and easier to build. Unlike now, US then prefer to mass produce lot of cheap stuff and use numbers to overwhelm the enemy.
no big deal. if u or i were commanding a tiger tank in WW2, we could have destroyed a sherman company by ourselves too

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no big deal. if u or i were commanding a tiger tank in WW2, we could have destroyed a sherman company by ourselves too
That 15 shermans, scores of personnel carriers, a few AT guns plus supporting infantrymen. Battalion minor? Even with the formidable 88 high velocity gun, it take some skill to destroy so many targets before even one Sherman to get within killing range of the 75mm or hit it from the side or rear. Surely there must be some piat teams who should get close enough to blow the tiger tracks to disable it.
I was a “panzergrenadier” first before being a BX 25mm gunner. It is possible to get close to a solitary tank that is unsupported by infantry without being spotted. Done it many time during NSF period. Being used to armour vehicles, AI learned to respect their capabilities but we are not afraid of it.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
That 15 shermans, scores of personnel carriers, a few AT guns plus supporting infantrymen. Battalion minor? Even with the formidable 88 high velocity gun, it take some skill to destroy so many targets before even one Sherman to get within killing range of the 75mm or hit it from the side or rear. Surely there must be some piat teams who should get close enough to blow the tiger tracks to disable it.
I was a “panzergrenadier” first before being a BX 25mm gunner. It is possible to get close to a solitary tank that is unsupported by infantry without being spotted. Done it many time during NSF period. Being used to armour vehicles, AI learned to respect their capabilities but we are not afraid of it.

The Tiger 1 was practically invulnerable to the standard Sherman with the 75mm gun at almost any range. The Tiger 88mm could kill a Sherman at 2000m, and the Sherman's 75 mm needed to close to 100m to kill a Tiger, and that would be with a rear or side shot. So, its entirely possible for a Tiger to park in hiding 2km from a road and wait for a Allied column to come along. Take out the first and last vehicle and take your time to kill them all. The only solution for the Shermans was to charge the Tiger to close the range, as shown in Fury. But a well drilled crew can pick the Shermans off well before they can close the range to 100m.