• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

One in four chances of finding work in Canada

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to this news, only 24% of the people who immigrated to Canada found jobs that matched their education. That's means the rest ended up doing blue collar jobs like storeboy, taxi drivers or MacDonalds. The reality is that foreign qualifications are not well received in Canada :(

4388574877_e9c172cc94_o.jpg

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been to a chiro once. Back hurt, went there 3X and fixed it. Not bad only did 5 mins of back adjustment and chiro made good $$$$.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to this news, only 24% of the people who immigrated to Canada found jobs that matched their education. That's means the rest ended up doing blue collar jobs like storeboy, taxi drivers or MacDonalds. The reality is that foreign qualifications are not well received in Canada :(
[/IMG]

If it is true, then it is worrying.
Do you have the stats to back up what you wrote?
how many of these immigrants are there who cannot speak the English/francais properly?
How many immigrants are there to joinfamily business/start business/etc?

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
how many of these immigrants are there who cannot speak the English/francais properly?

Two things, my dear Singaporeans:

One, I did not write that, it is pretty obvious it is a newspaper clipping, unless you need new spectacles. :p

Two, the news is based on reports from Statistics Canada

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canada does have issues in recent decades with higher than expected unemployment among migrants. However there a number of factors and one is the liberal dependency based migrations such as marriage and extended families which were more liberal than other emigrant destination countries.

Canada has 2 well established migrant trails which are seldom published in the name of political correctnesss. - the HK and the Sikh exodus where the qualification of dependents are not up to standards. The medical degrees from India for instance is an issue.

Singaporeans do not have to worry. I have yet to hear of qualified Singaporeans failing to cut he mustard. Anyway with such a resource rich country, a determined individual can succeed.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any Singaporean with a borderline IQ will not trust a newspaper clipping and so do rest of the world.

The issue is not eyesight and spectacles, its a bit of grey cells that is needed. Its just like the news clipping that you provided on the Canadian Health system.

The point is that your credibility has a poor track record as selective pasting of news clippings does no one any good. The fact that you thought that a news clipping provided by you is the high water mark of journalism and truth is indeed a spectacle, pun massively intended.

Here is a tip - Canada is a 1st world country with loads of untapped resources. There is no comparison between Singapore and Canada. Only a blur sotong will hang his coat on the contrary. Like everything in life there are exceptions.

Two things, my dear Singaporeans:

One, I did not write that, it is pretty obvious it is a newspaper clipping, unless you need new spectacles. :p

Two, the news is based on reports from Statistics Canada

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canada does have issues in recent decades with higher than expected unemployment among migrants. However there a number of factors and one is the liberal dependency based migrations such as marriage and extended families which were more liberal than other emigrant destination countries.

Canada has 2 well established migrant trails which are seldom published in the name of political correctnesss. - the HK and the Sikh exodus where the qualification of dependents are not up to standards. The medical degrees from India for instance is an issue.

Singaporeans do not have to worry. I have yet to hear of qualified Singaporeans failing to cut he mustard. Anyway with such a resource rich country, a determined individual can succeed.

Although I do not have any statistics to support my submission, based on almost 30 years of observations in Toronto, I respectfully submit that Canada has accepted numerous immigrants who would not qualify to be immigrants to Singapore. Notwithstanding that, Canada's generous social programs, such as guaranteed income supplement ("GIS") for senior citizens, Employment Insurance benefits, welfare, child tax credits / allowances, also provide "down side" protection for many of the immigrants. Even if a senior citizen did not contribute to the government coffers (income taxes, CPP, etc.), the GIS provides a senior citizen with approximately $1,000 per month. If that senior citizen stays in a subsidized apartment, the rent is approximately $300 per month, utilities (heat, electricity, water) included. Such benefits, especially for those from "third world countries", is considered satisfactory.

Canada may not be perfect, but, in my respectful submission, has been generous and kind to a significant number of the immigrants. Accordingly, for those who have not resided in Canada for an extended period of time (excluding the time spent as a student), reproducing newspaper articles, and posting from a less than free press country, is biased.

For an appropriate and fair comparison, I believe that a reasonable and logical individual should compare each of the social programs between two jurisdictions, for example, the income tax regime in Canada versus Singapore, the social benefits, the free medicare, and the almost free (only $200 per year) prescription drugs for senior citizens, the overall cost and standard of living. Canada may not be the best, but is among the top ten.

Last edited:

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
Although I do not have any statistics to support my submission, based on almost 30 years of observations in Toronto, I respectfully submit that Canada has accepted numerous immigrants who would not qualify to be immigrants to Singapore. Notwithstanding that, Canada's generous social programs, such as guaranteed income supplement ("GIS") for senior citizens, Employment Insurance benefits, welfare, child tax credits / allowances, also provide "down side" protection for many of the immigrants. Even if a senior citizen did not contribute to the government coffers (income taxes, CPP, etc.), the GIS provides a senior citizen with approximately $1,000 per month. If that senior citizen stays in a subsidized apartment, the rent is approximately $300 per month, utilities (heat, electricity, water) included. Such benefits, especially for those from "third world countries", is considered satisfactory.

Canada may not be perfect, but, in my respectful submission, has been generous and kind to a significant number of the immigrants. Accordingly, for those who have not resided in Canada for an extended period of time (excluding the time spent as a student), reproducing newspaper articles, and posting from a less than free press country, is biased.

For an appropriate and fair comparison, I believe that a reasonable and logical individual should compare each of the social programs between two jurisdictions, for example, the income tax regime in Canada versus Singapore, the social benefits, the free medicare, and the almost free (only $200 per year) prescription drugs for senior citizens, the overall cost and standard of living. Canada may not be the best, but is among the top ten.

As someone who loves to bug the Australians for thier very high taxes and super high cost of living, eating, houses, etc I know you can find a newspaper story to support ANY point of view. But down here we know things in Canada are not that bad, and you guys have a decent country up there. Down here on the east coast I can get some Bell Satellite Channels and my goodness the Olympics is making Canada look absolutely fantastic. Looking at CTV, rodgers, and TSN the country looks simply marvelous.

Plus Vancouver is always rated the #1 place in the whole world to live year after year.

I just hope today's game doesnt spoil anything cause we all know who beat who last week. :biggrin:

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Canada vs USA, Olympics Hockey Finals

After mass, the priest implored my fellow parishioners to pray for Canada. Althoug I am not a hockey fan, I did watch the Canada vs Russia, and the Canada vs Slovakia games.

I do hope that Canada will win the gold medal to end the Winter Olympics on a high note.

If I have to do it all over again, I will choose Vancouver over Toronto, simply for the snow, skiing, sea, sand, and mountains.

jake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Notwithstanding that, Canada's generous social programs, such as guaranteed income supplement ("GIS") for senior citizens....

Even if a senior citizen did not contribute to the government coffers (income taxes, CPP, etc.), the GIS provides a senior citizen with approximately $1,000 per month.

If that senior citizen stays in a subsidized apartment, the rent is approximately $300 per month, utilities (heat, electricity, water) included.

You got me so exicited about GIS and I checked and it turns out that:

• GIS is for low income earners
  • The maximum rate for a single person is $517.47, lower rate for couples
For a single person, the maximum annual salary to qualify for GIS is $15,671.99.

<TABLE class="borderthing collapse" summary="Table 1 - Guaranteed Income Supplement rates for single, widowed or divorced pensioners" border=1><THEAD><TR class=bggrey><TH class=thnone id=yearly_income scope=col colSpan=2>
</TH><TH class=thnone id=monthly_income scope=col></TH><TH class=thnone id=combined_income scope=col>
</TH></TR><TR class=bggrey><TH class=thright id=min_income scope=col>Yearly income
(Excluding
OAS,
GIS
and Allowance)

From $
</TH><TH class=thright id=max_income scope=col>

To $
</TH><TH class=thright>Monthly
GIS
Payment

$
</TH><TH class=thright>Combined
OAS
and
GIS
Payment

$
</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD class=tdright headers="yearly_income min_income">15,552.00</TD><TD class=tdright headers="yearly_income max_income">15,575.99</TD><TD class=tdright headers=monthly_income>4.51</TD><TD class=tdright headers=combined_income>521.47</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tdright headers="yearly_income min_income">15,576.00</TD><TD class=tdright headers="yearly_income max_income">15,599.99</TD><TD class=tdright headers=monthly_income>3.51</TD><TD class=tdright headers=combined_income>520.47</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tdright headers="yearly_income min_income">15,600.00</TD><TD class=tdright headers="yearly_income max_income">15,623.99</TD><TD class=tdright headers=monthly_income>2.51</TD><TD class=tdright headers=combined_income>519.47</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tdright headers="yearly_income min_income">15,624.00</TD><TD class=tdright headers="yearly_income max_income">15,647.99</TD><TD class=tdright headers=monthly_income>1.51</TD><TD class=tdright headers=combined_income>518.47</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tdright headers="yearly_income min_income">15,648.00</TD><TD class=tdright headers="yearly_income max_income">15,671.99</TD><TD class=tdright headers=monthly_income>0.51</TD><TD class=tdright headers=combined_income>517.47</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- Table 1 - Guaranteed Income Supplement rates for single, widowed or divorced pensioners - part 37-->

People making $15,672 a year do not qualify for GIS.

Looking at this table, it said the combined OAS and GIS payment is $517.47. That's barely enough to survive in Canada, let alone in a big city like Toronto or Vancouver. I better start saving some money now, otherwise I will have to start collecting pop cans in my old age :(.

This is 2010, I don't think there is anywhere in Toronto or Vancouver with rents of $300 a month, subsidized or not. Maybe in the 1980s or early 1990s but definitely not now. Maybe in Yellowknife or Medicine Hat, but certainly not in major cities.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: OAS, GIS and subsidized apartment

If a person is a Canadian, or at least a resident in Canada, he or she would have heard of GIS is for low income Canadians.

I have posted about GIS in other discussions threads. It is not intended to create false hopes. Given the choice, no one wants to be receiving GIS. But at least, the Canadian social programs provide down side protection. How many countries provide OAS and GIS.

In Toronto, there are many subsidized apartments, and they refer to it as rent geared to income. It is about 30% of the individual's of family's income. I used $300 as an example, based on a senior with CPP / OAS / GIS totalling about $1,000 per month.

With respect, I do not anticipate immigrants from Singapore to Canada to rely on OAS and GIS.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: OAS and GIS

I believe that a senior who has no other income, besides OAS and GIS, then he or she will receive about $1,000 per month for OAS and GIS. That was years ago, when one of the bankrupts showed me her tax information slips. You can always check the govt websites, or phone the govt agency.

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: OAS, GIS and subsidized apartment

If a person is a Canadian, or at least a resident in Canada, he or she would have heard of GIS is for low income Canadians.

$15,672 annual salary / 12 = $1306 per month

Then you should state right from the start that if the potential migrant planned to make $1306 a month in Canada, he should expect to get $517.47 (that's not even $1000) in old age income from the government.

By not stating the maximum income to qualify, the $1000 a month is very misleading to the potential migrant.

Perhaps the Canadian goverment has been generous previously, but it is no more now. Every Canadian is on his own, they need to start planning for retirement, investing in RSSP, if not, they will be in big bad trouble in their retirement years.

Just keep in mind that:

• You are not the only one who has migrated and lived in Canada, what ever misinformation you post here will be exposed by other silent Singaporeans who are living in Canada
  • You do more harm than good by not telling the full story. You want to set the potential migrant expectations right

Have a nice evening.

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
For a single person, the maximum annual salary to qualify for GIS is $15,671.99.

This is 2010, I don't think there is anywhere in Toronto or Vancouver with rents of $300 a month, subsidized or not. Maybe in the 1980s or early 1990s but definitely not now. Maybe in Yellowknife or Medicine Hat, but certainly not in major cities.

Glad you found out the actual facts about GIS, if not you will be taken for a ride by Charlie. I recommend that you start investing in RRSP because whatever OAS and GIS payment you receive from the government won't get you very far. If it does, why do you think the banks are doing a roaring business in RRSPs?

I'm not even going to comment about that $300 rental housing bullshit from Charlie. As you pointed out, this is 2010, no where in Canada you can find rental housing for $300 a month, to debate with Charlie will be a waste of my time. I think I've done my part in informing the potential migrant that there is no such thing in Canada :biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Although I do not have any statistics to support my submission, based on almost 30 years of observations in Toronto, I respectfully submit that Canada has accepted numerous immigrants who would not qualify to be immigrants to Singapore.

It will happen with any country that also accepts refugees; extended family members as immigrants. Consider that Singapore is an immigrant society, it is not a signatory to the refugee convention, neither does it has a proper immigration policy in place. The millionnaire ministers can just switch on and off the immigration tap and implement ill-thought up policies.

(My God! Singapore is now even more densely populated than HongKong. Soon, with its targetted 6.5 mil people, it will set a new world record.)

I think there are a lot of ways to make a living. Somehow, in Singapore, students are not prepared for career choices. A number of people end up with IT degrees but choose to work in other fields. And when we move to another country, we may not choose to work in the selected field. Eg Law practice is tough in Western Australia for a lady, why not be become a teacher instead.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal

After mass, the priest implored my fellow parishioners to pray for Canada. Althoug I am not a hockey fan, I did watch the Canada vs Russia, and the Canada vs Slovakia games.

I do hope that Canada will win the gold medal to end the Winter Olympics on a high note.

If I have to do it all over again, I will choose Vancouver over Toronto, simply for the snow, skiing, sea, sand, and mountains.

All I know is I keep hearing good things about Vancouver. They say its location near mountains and bays is what makes it #1. Also Canada is the #2 largest country in the world in terms of land area, so the opportunities are boundless.

Well it was a great Olympics, Canada ought to be proud of hosting it and we got 37 medals, a record.

Yeah the game did not surprise me at all i mean its your national sport not ours so I guess its good that Canada won, but that was close. Damm now I cant rub it in anymore. America really irritated Canada last week.

Last edited:

Tuapehkong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Charlie9, Why you want to choose Vancouver over Toronto?
I am looking for a place to groom my children. Where do you think is a better place? Vancouver over Toronto?

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Vancouver or Toronto

I am looking for a place to groom my children. Where do you think is a better place? Vancouver over Toronto?

I believe that Vancouver is more laid back, and has more varied outdoor recreational opportunities.

Grooming children is huge responsibility. But depending on their age, and your personal preference, you may wish to evaluate other cities, besides Toronto and Vancouver.

I am sure that, unlike Canadians, you will have a much higher income, to even think of Old Age Security and Guranteed Income Supplement. For those who never has to, and do not any intention to reside in Canada, OAS and GIS are irrelevant to them. Does Singapore has any social benefits similar to the Canadian OAS and GIS?

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi,

I believe, you should do a SWOT Analysis. When i 1st did my research on which city to land - I choose Toronto after i dig a little deeper. I realized that finding the city to land is like a looking for the sofest spot in beach landing in a battle after that make my way inland. This is y i choose Edmonton.

For the following reason:

a. The no. of immigrant population especially asian is not so big - i lface less competition.
b. The mortgage that i have to pay is only 38% of my income while Vancouver(73%) & Toronto (60%) - (check RBC reports on housing)
c. It is better to be a big fish in a small pond than a little fish in the big ocean.
d. Kids learn more when they are not under pressure.
e. Healthcare is not under some much pressure as balance between supply and demand is more reasonable.