• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

One GLC buys shares from another GLC and pay 52% above market price!!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
What kind of shit is this? DBS owned by Govt, is paying Temasek a market premium of 52% in order for Temasek to sell them PT Bank Danamon shares. I never heard of such a thing. Maybe I am just simple minded here, but why don't Temasek just sell the shares to DBS at cost instead of at 52% premuim over current stock price. Is this how Temasek reports its profits? By asking a subsidiary to purchase investment that it owns at an inflated price? Like that, any monkey can do it too and make money. This is how Temasek justifies paying its CEO and BOD big money for? Artificial asset inflation? If DBS wants to run this bank, its easy, since Temasek already owns 67% and controls the BOD. Why don't they just walk into Ho Ching's office and asked to be placed on the Danamon BOD and that way manage the bank. U mean to tell me that this PT Danamon bank is so potentially profitable that no other foreign banks (e.g. Aussie, China, US etc.) have approached Temasek to sell their shares to them? The only bidder for the shares is coincidentally a singapore bank owned by Temasek? ANd by further coincidence, this subsidiary over pays in terms of book value and share price? Wah lau, uniquely singapore. When will sinkies wake up and see the wayang?

DBS Group Holdings Ltd. (DBS) offered to buy PT Bank Danamon Indonesia (BDMN) for about $7.2 billion, the biggest takeover by a Southeast Asian lender, to tap a market growing at the fastest pace since before the 1997 Asian crisis.

DBS, controlled by Singapore’s state-run Temasek Holdings Pte (TMSK), said it will pay its parent company 45.2 trillion rupiah ($4.9 billion) in new shares for its 67 percent stake and buy the remaining stock from other shareholders for 21.2 trillion rupiah in cash. Temasek will increase its stake in DBS to 40.4 percent from 29.5 percent, the lender said.

Enlarge image
DBS to Buy Temasek’s Stake in Bank Danamon for $4.9 Billion Munshi Ahmed/Bloomberg
The DBS Group Holdings Ltd. logo is displayed atop the company's DBS Asia Hub building in Singapore.

The DBS Group Holdings Ltd. logo is displayed atop the company's DBS Asia Hub building in Singapore. Photographer: Munshi Ahmed/Bloomberg
Play Video
QApril 2 (Bloomberg) -- DBS Group Holdings Ltd., Southeast Asia’s biggest bank, said it will pay Temasek Holdings Pte 45.2 trillion rupiah ($4.9 billion) for its 67 percent stake in PT Bank Danamon Indonesia and plans a takeover bid for the lender. Haslinda Amin reports from Singapore on Bloomberg Television's "First Up." (Source: Bloomberg)
Enlarge image
DBS Group Holdings Ltd. CEO Piyush Gupta Munshi Ahmed/Bloomberg
Piyush Gupta, chief executive officer of DBS Group Holdings Ltd.

Piyush Gupta, chief executive officer of DBS Group Holdings Ltd. Photographer: Munshi Ahmed/Bloomberg
Southeast Asia’s biggest bank plans to tap Bank Danamon’s 3,000-branch network to expand in Indonesia, where rising investment and domestic spending is countering an export slowdown. Chief Executive Officer Piyush Gupta is paying more than the median book value for banking deals over $1 billion as he seeks to diversify away from Singapore and Hong Kong into the region’s largest economy.

“They’re probably paying a premium for growth,” said Nader Naeimi, a Sydney-based strategist at AMP Capital Investors Ltd., which manages almost $100 billion. “There’s a lot of growth potential in Indonesia. Market valuations there aren’t that demanding.”

DBS will issue 439 million new shares at S$14.07 apiece to buy the stake from Temasek, the Singapore-based lender said in a statement to the stock exchange. DBS shares, suspended from trading for the announcement, last traded at S$14.18 on March 30. The bank asked that the trading halt be lifted tomorrow. Bank Danamon shares were also untraded today.

Higher Premium
DBS will offer to buy the remaining shares at 7,000 rupiah each, a 52 percent premium from Danamon’s closing price of 4,600 rupiah on March 30. That amounts to 2.62 times Danamon’s book value, higher than the median of 2.2 for deals worth more than $1 billion in the global banking industry over the past five years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

The Singapore bank also obtained approval from Malaysia’s central bank to start talks to buy Temasek’s 14.2 percent stake in Kuala Lumpur-based Alliance Financial Group Bhd. (AFG) The negotiations aren’t likely to trigger a takeover offer, Alliance Financial said in a statement today.

Gupta said a stake of that size in the Malaysian bank would help provide a “foothold to build out something in the future.”

Alliance Financial shares rose 1.8 percent to 3.96 ringgit at the close in Kuala Lumpur, outpacing a 0.5 percent gain in the benchmark FTSE Bursa Malaysia KLCI Index. (FBMKLCI)

CIMB’s Purchase
Southeast Asian banks are expanding with Malaysia’s CIMB Group Holdings Bhd. (CIMB) saying today it agreed to buy most of the Asia-Pacific cash equities and investment banking business of Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc, Britain’s biggest state-owned lender. CIMB, Malaysia’s second-largest bank, will pay 88.4 million pounds ($142 million) to RBS and inject a further 85.5 million pounds into the business.

DBS said the acquisition of Bank Danamon would cost about 66.4 trillion rupiah if all Danamon shareholders accepted the offer, which it also valued at 2.6 times book value. DBS will pay the remaining shareholders in cash, funded by its own capital and debt, it said.

The transaction would be DBS’s biggest purchase, eclipsing the $5.4 billion it paid for Hong Kong’s Dao Heng Bank Group Ltd. in 2001. In that deal it paid 3.33 times book value, according to Bloomberg data.

Not Excessive
“The price they’re paying doesn’t look excessively rich in the Indonesian context,” said Sam Hilton, a Hong Kong-based analyst at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods Inc.

Gupta, 52, said the deal will help DBS branch out from Singapore and Hong Kong. Speaking on a conference call today, he said he doesn’t expect job losses from the transaction.

“Indonesia is an exciting Asian market,” said Gupta, who joined DBS in 2009 after 27 years at Citigroup Inc. “We will be able to contribute towards the growth of the Indonesian banking sector, especially in areas such as infrastructure financing, project financing, trade finance and syariah banking.”

Danamon’s branch network, Indonesia’s second largest, serves 6 million customers. The Indonesian economy grew 6.46 percent last year, the most since before the Asian crisis. It’s forecast to grow 6.5 percent in 2012.

Adding Value
DBS said in a slide presentation today that its 2011 revenue from South and Southeast Asia would have increased to 27 percent from 7 percent with Danamon, while its reliance on Singapore would decline to 49 percent from 62 percent.

The deal will allow DBS “to expand in an important high- growth emerging market,” Jonathan Koh, an analyst at UOB Kay Hian in Singapore, wrote in a note. DBS could “add value by building up Bank Danamon’s corporate banking, investment banking and treasury businesses,” he said.

Temasek’s banking unit Fullerton Financial Holdings Pte, which holds the stake in Danamon, Indonesia’s sixth-biggest bank by assets, said in a March 30 statement it received an offer for its shares, without disclosing the bidder.

In June 2003, Temasek and Deutsche Bank AG (DBK), Germany’s biggest bank, through Asia Financial Indonesia, paid 3.08 trillion rupiah for a 51 percent stake in Danamon. Temasek now owns all of Asia Financial through Fullerton Financial.

Temasek (TMSK) managed S$193 billion ($154 billion) in the year ended March 2011, according to its website. Fullerton Financial said it appointed Bank of America Corp.’s unit Merrill Lynch and UBS AG as advisers for the offer. DBS said it named Credit Suisse Group AG and Morgan Stanley as its advisers on the proposed purchase of Danamon and Alliance. Temasek also said it obtained a waiver from having to make a takeover bid for DBS.

Asian investments made up 77 percent of Temasek’s underlying portfolio in 2011, the website showed. The percentage of financial services in Temasek’s portfolio rose to 36 percent from 35 percent as of March 2011, according to the company.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm sure that some people in the PAP have actually "created value" by flipping properties between the various GLCs.
Why else would they need so many gov't property companies like Capital Land, Maple Tree, etc :confused:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell that to the daft ass-fucked 60.1%, most probably some of them did the paperwork for their own assed to be fucked and loving it.:o

I'm sure that some people in the PAP have actually "created value" by flipping properties between the various GLCs.
Why else would they need so many gov't property companies like Capital Land, Maple Tree, etc :confused:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

This is 100% correct. The oppos should look into all the previous GIC, Temasek sales.How much of the so called profits they report are actually flips thru subsidiaries. The BOD and Whore Jinx have part of their bonus indexed to the profitability of Temasek. Like that, if they keep doing this, they will earn max bonus for doing nothing. Fucking Lee Con You.

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's called taking from the right pocket & putting back to the left pocket, at the same moment of transfer the other pockets also get some!

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Legal manipulation of stock market......

by people with doubtful intent...

where is the CPIB when you need them? Sleeping or afraid of their political masters?

CPIB go eat shit.......

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Legal manipulation of stock market......

by people with doubtful intent...

where is the CPIB when you need them? Sleeping or afraid of their political masters?

CPIB go eat shit.......

Correct lah. Of all the banks in all the countries of Asia, DBS decides that PT Danamon (owned by its parent company Temasek), is the bank they MUST buy and buy for a 52% over market price? I can understand if PT Danamon is so hot that DBS has to outbid other suitors, but this is ridiculous.

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a 100% takeover hence they cannot simply offer the cost price. Sorry i can't remember the legalities but i believe the minority shareholders can block the sale.

The key issue is they are AGAIN overpaying way above market norm... 2.62x Book Value compared to normal market norm 2.2x.

Who benefits most? The remaining shareholders of PT Danamon. Is this another of our donation to Indonesia?

Z

Zombie

Sorry i can't remember the legalities but i believe the minority shareholders can block the sale.

s216 companies act? i think maybe it is very difficult...

anyway i no head no tail, dun know whether deal fair or not... :smile:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can offer below cost price at a discount or not:confused:

This is a 100% takeover hence they cannot simply offer the cost price. Sorry i can't remember the legalities but i believe the minority shareholders can block the sale.

The key issue is they are AGAIN overpaying way above market norm... 2.62x Book Value compared to normal market norm 2.2x.

Who benefits most? The remaining shareholders of PT Danamon. Is this another of our donation to Indonesia?

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Effectively, temasick use part or whole of the premium to finance the increase it's target stake in DBS, how many percent premium depends lah.:p Tio bo:confused::*:
2. DBass end up having a high Goodwill Acquired, but can just impair totally or balance found to be excessive if market outlook no good.
3. If impair, temasick gets hit 40.4% of it lah:o But shareholding increase leow.

DBS, controlled by Singapore’s state-run Temasek Holdings Pte (TMSK), said it will pay its parent company 45.2 trillion rupiah ($4.9 billion) in new shares for its 67 percent stake and buy the remaining stock from other shareholders for 21.2 trillion rupiah in cash. Temasek will increase its stake in DBS to 40.4 percent from 29.5 percent, the lender said.

Higher Premium
DBS will offer to buy the remaining shares at 7,000 rupiah each, a 52 percent premium from Danamon’s closing price of 4,600 rupiah on March 30. That amounts to 2.62 times Danamon’s book value, higher than the median of 2.2 for deals worth more than $1 billion in the global banking industry over the past five years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't know if they meet the 80% requirement or not, didnt read much for this case. Just off the fly, if they sell cheaper than the price they acquired inorder to meet the statutory shareholding requirements by foreign entities, then impairment to the goodwill acquired is not remote.

i read today's ST article that they are not allowed to hold more than 80% , they will have to sell to public after buying. more $$$ down the drain?

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/DBSMUST/Article/index_html

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

U mistaking Singapore exchange laws with Indonesian exchange laws. They are different. I remember a couple of years ago, an Aussie bank offered to buy all of Panin, than later a China bank did the same too. But you are right, paid way over.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i read today's ST article that they are not allowed to hold more than 80% , they will have to sell to public after buying. more $$$ down the drain?

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/DBSMUST/Article/index_html

Its money down the drain for sure. They should have taken the whole bank private if they were offering to buy all the outstanding shares. This same thing happened to Temasek in the Shincorp scandal, but I guess when your parent company ask u to buy, u got no choice. Right now, they paid 52% premuim over market for the shares. When they are forced to sell the 20%, do you think buyers will pay this price? If no, than they have lost money.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I don't understand why the oppo has not raised a stink about this transaction. I for one, would like an explanation from Temasek or MOF why they require their own subsidiary DBS to pay 52% premuim over market. Like that, what is to stop Temasek in the future from asking other subsidiaries to buy shares they own at inflated prices, and declare fake results?

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. yet the sheep mostest highest protector, whitehaired tau neh tan has nothing else up his sleeves or what.
3. tell me again!
4. what is its portfolio?

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend told me over kopi this morning;

1. By % of shareholding, DBS is not considered a subsidary of Tamasick.

2. Unless, there is management control beside % of share ownership

3. Otherwise, considered an associate or just an investment, where Tamasick has no management control on the former, so paying 52% has been decided at arms-length.

.............:o

I don't understand why the oppo has not raised a stink about this transaction. I for one, would like an explanation from Temasek or MOF why they require their own subsidiary DBS to pay 52% premuim over market. Like that, what is to stop Temasek in the future from asking other subsidiaries to buy shares they own at inflated prices, and declare fake results?