• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 retro (best mirrorless camera of 2012)

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
samsung, fujifilm, pentax also use APS-C. bigger is better but 4/3 is not much smaller than APS-C. so go for the feature of camera.

Hi Singveld,

just your opinion on sensor size. As chat about the Sony NEX, it has the largest sensor as its APS-C and the other mirrorless uses smaller micro 4/3 sensors. should sensor size be the main determinant for photo quality?? Is the bigger sensor the better? Thanks,,I am asking as I am torn between Sony NEX5 and Panasonic GX1..Sony I dont like due to the lenses available and no built in flash,,have to attach the flash which has propriety 'plug'

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I tested both out. The pros outweighed the cons.

So you bought which 1? I dun like 7-14, expensive and too big, 9-18 is good enough liao....

PB068943_Snapseed.jpg

This is 9-18mm, took it when I was at HK

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I gave up the thought of shooting in stealth mode some years back after a nasty episode involving a woman in a crowded street. It was busy street and I wanted to capture the movement to paint the picture. It was not even in stealth mode. She made such a noise and wanted it erased. I did not and told her to call the cops. I was afraid to erase it until the Police saw it so the women does not concoct a story. The Police came, saw and scolded her as she was one in a sea of faces.

The closest thing is point somewhere else and pan across slowly to the target. The best shots for movement and mood are always below the hip level as it is not a perspective that man is familiar with. Unfortunately cannot to be politically incorrect just as you cannot be seen close to a toddler.

I'll upload them later to a different site and give you the link.

My Nikon D3 definitely produces better quality images at the same ISO. However, the ease of use and the stealth factor of this camera is what made photos such as the ones above possible. Had I used my nikon, there would have been no way I could have shot those images unnoticed.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why would a woman in the crowd think she is the target of the picture? Is this in singapore? It is very strange.
OM-D m5 and sony 5N can both shoot from the hip, by pressing on the LCD screen, mostly this particular stealth mode will work very well. That is what boss intend to use this new camera for. I would like to use it this way too, when i get my hand on it. But the fujifilm is calling me with it's great IQ. I need more information about OM-D.

I gave up the thought of shooting in stealth mode some years back after a nasty episode involving a woman in a crowded street. It was busy street and I wanted to capture the movement to paint the picture. It was not even in stealth mode. She made such a noise and wanted it erased. I did not and told her to call the cops. I was afraid to erase it until the Police saw it so the women does not concoct a story. The Police came, saw and scolded her as she was one in a sea of faces.

The closest thing is point somewhere else and pan across slowly to the target. The best shots for movement and mood are always below the hip level as it is not a perspective that man is familiar with. Unfortunately cannot to be politically incorrect just as you cannot be seen close to a toddler.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was in London in Regent street just outside Tourism Office which was previously located there. She was just in the crowd and emerged and started berating me non stop. I was dumbfounded at first wondering if it was someone next to me as she was not the person in focus, it was the crowd. She just carried on about privacy, and on and on she went. I was trying to conceal myself by a pillar as I did not want the crowd to move away as they do when they see a camera. To her it might appear as a pervert concealing himself.

After this incident, I told myself its not worth it. Similar to now days where you will be politically incorrect to talk to a toddler who happens to be a alone especially in the West.

With so many upskirt arrests, lets face it there are just too many perverts and the Police can't be bothered and won't have the time to do a good job. Its easier to charge you and let the courts decide. It was a good lesson. Just look at Sam's photo in the cafe. At that angle/level, you are bound catch a bit of panty showing eventually . Very hard to explain.

Believe me I would have bought the OM-D in flash as the stealth is so important to grab a good picture in a confined space if this incident did not take place.

Why would a woman in the crowd think she is the target of the picture? Is this in singapore? It is very strange.
OM-D m5 and sony 5N can both shoot from the hip, by pressing on the LCD screen, mostly this particular stealth mode will work very well. That is what boss intend to use this new camera for. I would like to use it this way too, when i get my hand on it. But the fujifilm is calling me with it's great IQ. I need more information about OM-D.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is that many years ago? i think now with iphone and phone with camera taking photo and video everywhere, i think the public view of taking photo in public has soften over the years.

This was in London in Regent street just outside Tourism Office which was previously located there. She was just in the crowd and emerged and started berating me non stop. I was dumbfounded at first wondering if it was someone next to me as she was not the person in focus, it was the crowd. She just carried on about privacy, and on and on she went. I was trying to conceal myself by a pillar as I did not want the crowd to move away as they do when they see a camera. To her it might appear as a pervert concealing himself.

After this incident, I told myself its not worth it. Similar to now days where you will be politically incorrect to talk to a toddler who happens to be a alone especially in the West.

With so many upskirt arrests, lets face it there are just too many perverts and the Police can't be bothered and won't have the time to do a good job. Its easier to charge you and let the courts decide. It was a good lesson. Just look at Sam's photo in the cafe. At that angle/level, you are bound catch a bit of panty showing eventually . Very hard to explain.

Believe me I would have bought the OM-D in flash as the stealth is so important to grab a good picture in a confined space if this incident did not take place.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
scroobal said:
Just look at Sam's photo in the cafe. At that angle/level, you are bound catch a bit of panty showing eventually . Very hard to explain.
Must ask Sam to explain whether they wear panties or not.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oh very nice. on the web i can find full size jpg on pixel peeper. http://www.pixel-peeper.com/

but i am very confused, because some people upload their blur photo and i do not what to think about the camera.

Good full size jpg are required to determine how good is the camera. As for the quality of OM-M5, i am still not sure, it will replace my 5D2 in most situation minus stealth photo taking.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Good full size jpg are required to determine how good is the camera. As for the quality of OM-M5, i am still not sure, it will replace my 5D2 in most situation minus stealth photo taking.
While the purple fringing is much reduced with the Panasonic lens compared to the Zuiko, it's still there and I'd have to use my raw converter to edit it out.

With my D3 and Nikon 14~24. I hardly ever see this problem. At the end of the day, I guess you get what you pay for.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While the purple fringing is much reduced with the Panasonic lens compared to the Zuiko, it's still there and I'd have to use my raw converter to edit it out.

With my D3 and Nikon 14~24. I hardly ever see this problem. At the end of the day, I guess you get what you pay for.

actually your setup with OM-D M5 + 18-50 + 7-14 is not cheap. In film times, you can buy an amazing camera, if you go for DSLR, you can find better deals. of course it is much cheaper than fujifilm x-pro 1, can you believe the price of x-pro 1+ 3 prime lens with no possibility of telephoto, unless you go manual via adapter. It is so expensive.

Are you going to buy the grip? Do you feel good gripping the camera without grip?

What about battery life?

What about the Image stabilization ?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Are you going to buy the grip? Do you feel good gripping the camera without grip?

What about battery life?

What about the Image stabilization ?

I'm not getting the grip. I bought this camera for its compactness. A grip would undo that.

Battery life I estimate to be about 600 to 700 exposures. It all depends how often you use the LCD vs the electronic viewfinder which uses less power.

Image stabilisation would benefit video more than stills.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not getting the grip. I bought this camera for its compactness. A grip would undo that.
Battery life I estimate to be about 600 to 700 exposures. It all depends how often you use the LCD vs the electronic viewfinder which uses less power.
Image stabilisation would benefit video more than stills.

part one of the grip will still make the camera compact.
but wait a bit, someone will sure make a cheaper smaller grip.
600-700 is bit high side of estimate
according to people using the camera on the net, the stabilization of video is not as good as photo taking. try to take some low light photo of stationary object, it is supposed to be the best available now. up to 0.5 sec.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
part one of the grip will still make the camera compact.
but wait a bit, someone will sure make a cheaper smaller grip.
600-700 is bit high side of estimate
according to people using the camera on the net, the stabilization of video is not as good as photo taking. try to take some low light photo of stationary object, it is supposed to be the best available now. up to 0.5 sec.

I've taken about 400 on one charge. It now shows 50% on the battery indicator. It may die very quickly or it may last for another few hundred shots. I'll let you know.

I'll try some night scenes when the weather improves.