• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Number 7 Jersey

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Manchester United:
George Best
Bryan Robson
Eric Cantona
David Beckham
Cristiano Ronaldo

Liverpool:
Kevin Keegan
Kenny Dalglish

Anymore to add?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Half-season wonder-- Robbie Keane!!

I've listed 5 Manchester United No. 7s (Best, Robson, Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo) cause they've made great impacts. For the period between Best and Robson, the MU No. 7s had been nothing much to talk of. In fact, in the era between Best and Robson, MU suffered a relegation.

I've listed 2 Liverpool No. 7s (Keegan and Dalglish) for the same reason of great impacts made. After Dalglish, the Liverpool No. 7s had been also so-so only, perhaps with Peter Beardsley a bit outstanding, that's all, but none coming anywhere close to matching the Keegan-Dalglish era when Liverpool practically owned the English league title and the European champions' title.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Incidentally, the period between George Best and Bryan Robson as No. 7 at Manchester United was also the period when Liverpool had their two best No. 7s, Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish.

I've listed 5 Manchester United No. 7s (Best, Robson, Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo) cause they've made great impacts. For the period between Best and Robson, the MU No. 7s had been nothing much to talk of. In fact, in the era between Best and Robson, MU suffered a relegation.

I've listed 2 Liverpool No. 7s (Keegan and Dalglish) for the same reason of great impacts made. After Dalglish, the Liverpool No. 7s had been also so-so only, perhaps with Peter Beardsley a bit outstanding, that's all, but none coming anywhere close to matching the Keegan-Dalglish era when Liverpool practically owned the English league title and the European champions' title.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Raul Gonzales ~ Real Madrid

Yes, good one. However, outside England, especially in South America, the No. 7 jersey doesn't seem to hold so much prestige and significance as the team's playmaker and matchwinner. No. 10 seems to be more popular, from Pele, Mario Kempes, Zico, Michel Platini, Diego Maradona etc.

Kempes was topscorer and World Cup winner for Argentina in 1978 wearing No. 10. His form dropped drastically by 1982 after his No. 10 jersey was given to Maradona and he had to change to jersey No. 11. Maradona didn't perform up to expectation then, but four years later in 1986, Mardona in jersey No. 10 won the World Cup for Argentina again.

Nevertheless, some of the top players in the world wore oddish-numbered jerseys, e.g. Gerd Muller wore 13, Johan Cruyff wore 14 and Paolo Rossi wore 20. Perhaps it's not the number, it's the player that counts.

kensington

Alfrescian
Loyal
7 is a lucky number for the Brits as the # 13 is unlucky. Thats probably explained why this number 7 is more prevalent in their footballs.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
7 is a lucky number for the Brits as the # 13 is unlucky. Thats probably explained why this number 7 is more prevalent in their footballs.

Gerd Muller in the No. 13 jersey killed England in 1970 and Holland in 1974. Guess 13 may be a lucky number for Germany.

kensington

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gerd Muller in the No. 13 jersey killed England in 1970 and Holland in 1974. Guess 13 may be a lucky number for Germany.

Hahahah...You are right !!! Michael Ballack wore 13 as well.

Upped you....:biggrin: my lucky 7 points.....

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal

The period between Best and Robson saw Steve Coppell wearing the number 7 shirt, one of the best right wingers England ever had. Unfortunately his career was shortened by injury and he is now a balding football manager.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The period between Best and Robson saw Steve Coppell wearing the number 7 shirt, one of the best right wingers England ever had. Unfortunately his career was shortened by injury and he is now a balding football manager.

Agree, a very saddening premature ending to his playing days whilst in his mid-20s only.

Bike_Tyson

Alfrescian
Loyal
correct me if I'm wrong............

Those days in the English league, other than the regular players who always make the starting line-up, the rest do not have fixed numbers. This is due to the numbers assigned for league matches have to be from 1 to 11. 12 and 14 are the substitutes, and in fact in the early 80's, for league matches, each team can only have one substitute. Cup matches can have 2.

The player wearing the no 9 is often referred to as 'The Target Man'. This is my favourite guy to watch. Ian Rush, Frank Stapleton, Tony Woodcock... (Gary Lineker always wear No 10)

Talking about the no 7 jersey again, if eg, Bryan Robson did not make the starting line-up, somebody else, eg Ray Wilkins will take over the no 7 jersey. Also noted their names were never printed on the back of their jerseys.

The rest of the world have a different system. Eg: For J-League, all matches never end with a draw.

Bike_Tyson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Former England football manager Bobby Robson dies
Buzz up!4 votes Send
Email IM .Share
Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks .Print .. AFP/File – Former England and Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson, seen here in 2004, has died at the age of 76 after … .Fri Jul 31, 6:08 am ET
LONDON (AFP) – Former England and Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson died on Friday at the age of 76 after a long battle with cancer.

Robson, who had been fighting cancer for a number of years, led England to the World Cup semi-finals in 1990 before leaving to manage a host of top European clubs including PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Porto, Barcelona and finally his boyhood team Newcastle.

A statement issued on behalf of his family said: "It is with great sadness that it has been announced today that Sir Bobby Robson has lost his long and courageous battle with cancer.

"He died very peacefully this morning at his home in County Durham with his wife and family beside him.

"Sir Bobby's funeral will be private and for family members only.

"A thanksgiving service in celebration of Sir Bobby's life will be held at a later date for his many friends and colleagues.

"Lady Robson and the family would very much appreciate it if their privacy could be respected at this difficult time."

As a player, Robson was a key member of the Fulham and West Brom team during the 1950s and 1960s and also won 20 caps for England.

His first managerial role came at Fulham, but he made his name during a successful reign at Ipswich from 1969 to 1982.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Incidently the no 7 shirt is cursed in Chelsea

- Winston Bogarde
- Adrian Mutu
- Andriy Shevchenko

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that you're right. In those days, an English club always start every game with players numbered 1 to 11. Therefore, technically a player doesn't own any specific number, but was a first choice for that number.

As a genaralised guide to traditional numbering - 1. Goalkeeper; 2. to 5. Defenders; 6. to 8. Midfielders; 9. to 11. Strikers/Wingers.

I think that Singapore and the Malaysia Cup format has fixed players' numbers since the 1970s, as opposed to always starting a game with a team wearing 1. to. 11, e.g. Quah Kim Song always wore 17.

The World Cup always have fixed players' numbers. For every qualifying country, 23 (used to 22) players are nominated and their jersey numbers fixed throughout the tournament regardless they're starting the game or sitting on the bench.

correct me if I'm wrong............

Those days in the English league, other than the regular players who always make the starting line-up, the rest do not have fixed numbers. This is due to the numbers assigned for league matches have to be from 1 to 11. 12 and 14 are the substitutes, and in fact in the early 80's, for league matches, each team can only have one substitute. Cup matches can have 2.

The player wearing the no 9 is often referred to as 'The Target Man'. This is my favourite guy to watch. Ian Rush, Frank Stapleton, Tony Woodcock... (Gary Lineker always wear No 10)

Talking about the no 7 jersey again, if eg, Bryan Robson did not make the starting line-up, somebody else, eg Ray Wilkins will take over the no 7 jersey. Also noted their names were never printed on the back of their jerseys.

The rest of the world have a different system. Eg: For J-League, all matches never end with a draw.

Last edited: