• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

No Basis for S'pore Opposition Parties to Mimic M'sian Opposition Coalition

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is one thing to agree and give lip service only. It is totally another thing to believe it truly enough to fight for it, like the SDP does. All true democratic ideals have to be fought for because no dictator would ever give them away freely and easily.

Take the example of the ISA, till this day, I have never heard LTK fought against the ISA. Earlier this year, in February 2013, LTK (and all the WP MPs) were absent during the 50th anniversary of the Operation Coldstore. Like it or not, the Operation Coldstore will always be a part of Singapore's dark history that cannot be conveniently swept under the carpet. LTK seemed to be too "atas" and "ashamed" to be associated with our former political detainees. If a politician is NOT against the ISA, I have a legitimate reason to doubt his sincerity and belief of the Human Rights Law. Nobody should be above the law. Also, nobody should be "below" the law and not be given a fair trial in our Courts. If LTK is NOT against the ISA now, will I have faith to trust that he will not misuse the ISA, if given a chance in the future, just like the PAP did?

Do you really hate Worker's Party so much that you would simply assume their position on the ISA without even doing a simple Google search?

http://wp.sg/2011/09/1902/

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That is a key point. There is a major irony and disconnect here: SDP has the most impressive website and uses other online portals to very good effect and, yet, not once has it been able to capitalise on that advantage by exposing any "malpractices" not already known. All SDP does is provide comments on publicly available information. This tends to suggest that SDP is a very small outfit and its members are not in any sensitive jobs or influential positions to become whistle-blowers. If SDP cannot do any whistle-blowing then it can hardly expect others to do so, and all this results in suggesting that, despite all the grumbles, this place is in fact squeaky clean.

This place is hardly squeaky clean. Just look at the info exposed on SBF alone. It may be true SDP has no one in sensitive locations, but even if they did, there's nothing they can do to expose without attracting repercussions. WP can expose AIMS because it manages the town council. Ironically, under SDP's unity candidate plan, SDP would debate in Parliament and WP would be exposing such malpractices (tongue in cheek).

The irony and disconnect is not about exposing malpractices but about winning votes. SDP has the best machinery in place but lags behind WP and NSP in vote count. No SDP supporter has been able to explain it without resorting to things like .... oh .... SCM demonizes us the most because we are the biggest thorn in their neck .... or ..... we are misunderstood because we are years ahead of the times. Let's see an explanation for this disconnect that does not utilize these two excuses.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as a opposition ward resident who stay in HG SMC till 2005, let me share why LTK and WP is popular in HG SMC. as much as the media tout the teochew effect, which in my opinion was a load of BS, LTK walked the ground regularly, his MPS is open for all to see and can really see he try his best to solve residents problem to the extend he foot the bill out of his own pocket. There a few infastucture projects that he did in the estate without any funding from the malboro tan and a few well known issues that residents knew govt agencies put roadblocks on LTK upgrading projects which are to the benefits to the residents and the tearing down of rental blocks at ave 3 after LTK spent $$ and efforts to upgrade those blocks without national funding was the last straw that turn the additional 5-6% to the WP average of 55%. this is the result of 20years of hardwork.

what is SDP image to the average voters? boliao party that do boliao stunts in public that always result in the party leaders kenna hauled away by the mata. dont get me wrong, i understand where SDP stand but it dont wash with the average voters who care more about bread & butter issues. during 2006GE, chat with fellow reservists, most have very negative image of SDP and Chee. This are not your usual uneducated hokkien reservists but all are tertiary level gradutes aged ard 30yo. so instead of harping on human rights why not repackage the human rights issue into something else the average voters will understand and know it will affect them. SDP must remember chinese as a race dont care much who the empreror as long everyone are making good living. only when fire start burning their homes that they will wake up. If not for the pap FT loving policies, most of them would be still living in the matrix. All the opposition parties better pray the current economy mess last till the next GE so that the wind of change will blow strong.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
This place is hardly squeaky clean. Just look at the info exposed on SBF alone. It may be true SDP has no one in sensitive locations, but even if they did, there's nothing they can do to expose without attracting repercussions. WP can expose AIMS because it manages the town council. Ironically, under SDP's unity candidate plan, SDP would debate in Parliament and WP would be exposing such malpractices (tongue in cheek).

Eh the AIM thing how? After the elections never heard anything anymore. Are they saving the bullet to hoot the PAP during 2016?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you go thru the various speeches made by JBJ over the years, it was no different to Chee. He too focused on human rights, the need to protect the rights of individuals, the need for true democracy etc. If fact they were near identical. Only Chiam spoke on heartlander specific issues such a price of flat, schooling, transportation, fairness in implementing policies etc.

So why was JBJ elected and not Chee. The primary reason was the JBJ reached out to the voters in this is while he was constantly bashing the PAP. Despite having a British wife, JBJ did not drag the British nor fly all over World.

Anyway, I think SIngaporeans tend to vote along personality lines and some in SDP are definitely will probably make it.

Human rights and political fairness are very closely related. In fact the right of the opposition ward to receive the same amount of funding for public projects as PAP wards is also a human right. A lot of times these are the same ideas in disguise. The fact that people now have more freedom than in the 90s has made a lot of people more aware of human rights issues, as well as the importance of preserving your political rights by fighting for them.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to disagree. The Teochew effect was indeed the catalyst in his initial success. The Teochew in the north are a very cohesive lot and there are 2 major significant group. One is clan based and the other is Catholic (the Mandai Group that was resettled). Another important factor is that for the North, Chinese ed from Nanyang has a voice.

It was in later years that walk-about, the broom and bucket brigade etc became key planks in LTK and WP strategy.

How to run town council, forcing funding from the govt on local issues were battles first started by Chiam and both LTK and WP have acknowledged this including providing assistance in setting up Hougang Town Council.

as a opposition ward resident who stay in HG SMC till 2005, let me share why LTK and WP is popular in HG SMC. as much as the media tout the teochew effect, which in my opinion was a load of BS, LTK walked the ground regularly, his MPS is open for all to see and can really see he try his best to solve residents problem to the extend he foot the bill out of his own pocket. There a few infastucture projects that he did in the estate without any funding from the malboro tan and a few well known issues that residents knew govt agencies put roadblocks on LTK upgrading projects which are to the benefits to the residents and the tearing down of rental blocks at ave 3 after LTK spent $$ and efforts to upgrade those blocks without national funding was the last straw that turn the additional 5-6% to the WP average of 55%. this is the result of 20years of hardwork.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
It must grate the PAP to no end that despite all their money and resources, their tea parties never throw up candidates that Singaporeans fall in love with. Witness their latest offering Koh Poh Koon and the joke he ended becoming.

The opposition parties on the other hand are small and poor. Yet somehow they end up recruiting people like Nicole Seah and Lee Li Lian. While they might not always win because of the overwhelming odds against them, they end up capturing the heart of so many Singaporeans.

Anyway, I think SIngaporeans tend to vote along personality lines and some in SDP are definitely will probably make it.

Last edited:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you really hate Worker's Party so much that you would simply assume their position on the ISA without even doing a simple Google search?

http://wp.sg/2011/09/1902/

Did you read the first line of my post as follows?: "It is one thing to agree and give lip service ONLY. It is totally another thing to believe it truly enough to fight for it, like the SDP does. All true democratic ideals have to be fought for because no dictator would ever give them away freely and easily."

Do you know the meaning of LIP SERVICE? What has the WP done from the time of the two little paragraphs written on 16 Sep 2011 till now regarding the abolition of the ISA? If the WP MPs really and sincerely support the abolition of the ISA, the LEAST they could do was to gather at the Hong Lim Park on 2 Feb 2013 to show their solidarity with the ex-political detainees in remembrance of the 50th anniversary of the Operation Coldstore. How often does one have a 50th anniversary? Only once, right? How big is Singapore? How much time does it take to travel from Aljunied/Hougang to Hong Lim Park? In the final analysis, it is whether the WP has the "heart" or not to show solidarity with these ex-detainees who suffered decades in prison under the PAP. Like the Chinese would say: it is whether the WP is "wu sim" or "boh sim" (translated "got heart" or "no heart"). These ex-political detainees are our fellow Singaporean brothers and sisters, and LTK could not show his face to be there if he considered himself a leader of a Singapore opposition party?????

I do not hate the WP, that would be a WASTE of my emotional energy. I just do NOT respect the WP, period. The only person I like in the WP is CSM. I can see through LTK's intentions, he is a cunning chameleon. LTK would be better as a shrewd businessman, definitely NOT a statesman. This is my personal opinion. There is no need to attack me. Thanks.

Last edited:

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
It must grate the PAP to no end that despite all their money and resources, their tea parties never throw up candidates that Singaporeans fall in love with. Witness their latest offering Koh Poh Koon and the joke he ended becoming.

The opposition parties on the other hand are small and poor. Yet somehow they end up recruiting people like Nicole Seah and Lee Li Lian. While they might not always win because of the overwhelming odds against them, they end up capturing the heart of so many Singaporeans.

The PAP have a few likeable people, like Lily Neo, Tharman, Heng See Keat, Chan Chun Sing. And I wouldn't call Koh Poh Koon unlikeable, he just popped up at the wrong time.

In the old cabinet you could see people like Richard Hu, Goh Chok Tong, Ong Teng Cheong, Dhanabalan, Jayakumar, they weren't unlikeable.

But it seems that the PAP these days have a problem - it's the filthy porlumpar backstabbers who rise up to the top. Apart from the aforementioned, I can't think of anybody from the cabinet today that I would consider likeable. It's pretty obvious that somewhere along the line the type of genuine candidate, the type of guy who would serve with his heart got crowded out.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have to disagree. The Teochew effect was indeed the catalyst in his initial success..

limpeh both a resident of punggol kampong and hougang (i more son of punggol than that arse doc). limpeh know what i am talking about. teochew cohesive lot my arse. the rich teochew, especially those catholic sleep with the pap right from the start. the poor teochew farmers and fishermen were abandoned by everyone to fend for themselves. many of them suffered during the economic recession during the late 80s, it just happen a teochew LTK came along and won the seat with a small majority of 52.82% in 91GE. if the teochews all kaki langs as you claimed, then LTK should gained more than 52.82% and have no problem in getting 60% plus in later GEs. but the truth was that LTK only get 58+% in 97GE and 54+% in 2001GE. It only in 2006, 15 yrs and 4th GE did LTK finally make hougang a safe seat at 62.74%.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
limpeh both a resident of punggol kampong and hougang (i more son of punggol than that arse doc). limpeh know what i am talking about. teochew cohesive lot my arse. the rich teochew, especially those catholic sleep with the pap right from the start. the poor teochew farmers and fishermen were abandoned by everyone to fend for themselves. many of them suffered during the economic recession during the late 80s, it just happen a teochew LTK came along and won the seat with a small majority of 52.82% in 91GE. if the teochews all kaki langs as you claimed, then LTK should gained more than 52.82% and have no problem in getting 60% plus in later GEs. but the truth was that LTK only get 58+% in 97GE and 54+% in 2001GE. It only in 2006, 15 yrs and 4th GE did LTK finally make hougang a safe seat at 62.74%.

Don't mind that manipulative kaypohchee Scroobye. He will talk shit and claim that his internet moniker is "credible". LOL.
He just wants to whack you for posting recently that the thread he started about zapping into moderation was to make himself popular among a bunch of annonymous internet monikers. Which of course it was.

Now he says "Have to disagree". When he thinks that the coast is clearer for him, he will call you (and anyone else who he is targetting) a gullible blur fuck.
Unfortunately for him, the coast will never be clear, LOL.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, bread & butter issues are the key. And, yes, it has been shown that WP has dug into its own pockets to help many poorer folks out there. The great irony is that CSJ could have done the same. Instead, over the years, through his various defamations, he donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to PAP personalities.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, bread & butter issues are the key. And, yes, it has been shown that WP has dug into its own pockets to help many poorer folks out there. The great irony is that CSJ could have done the same. Instead, over the years, through his various defamations, he donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to PAP personalities.

since sdp already condemned sporeans are a dumb lot, political naive, then why can't sdp get down to the masses level, repackage the human rights, worker rights, political rights and whatever more rights to the masses intellect level to explain how support sdp will improve the masses standard of living. what the point of making hokkien video on youtube when large portion of target audience (40-100yo) only watch SCMs? get out of the office, knock on ppl doors to spread the messages.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Spot on.

The opposition is on the ascendecy and attracting better candidates with the pull factor.

Pap is on the decline and attracting lesser and lesser candidates despite all the financial incentives, the mass media siding with them, the playing field tweaked in their favour etc.

Oppo is overcoming the odds. Pap is faltering despite the advantages.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Li Lian' Nicole, Jeannette etc would not have fitted their template. I understand that they have changed their template and there will be limited places reserved for the Lee Li Lians of Singapore. The challenge that they are facing is whether to tap the usual pools in NTUC, PA, YPAP, etc or go get someone not tainted. i am sure that they are looking far and wide. But they need Li Lian's track record of doing community work. They struggled with Tin Pei Ling and not sure if they want another similar candidate who will end up being the attention of the wrong kind.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good to know that you are more a son of Punggol than the doctor.

In 1988, Low stood in Tiong Bahru GRC and he did well with 42%. Tiong Bahru borders Anson and have similar issues and make-up. Though Anson was vacated due to JBJ disqualification and the Govt gerrymandered Anson out, it was felt that Tiong Bahru would be good opportunity.

Hougang in 1988 was a new constituency (new housing with resettlement) and it was contested by both the PAP and WP. The WP a total unknown and insurance agent to boot did surprsing well with 41% of the votes. It was even a bigger surprise as the PAP candidate is Tang Guan Seng, the leader of the PAP Chinese Ed factions, Nantah grad and their point man.

Here is a bit of detail. LTK was approached by certain leaders of the Teochew clan with the provision of support from their community. He was encouraged to speak Teochew at his rallies. And the rest is history. There was very little ground work done like it has been for the last 20 years.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you go thru the various speeches made by JBJ over the years, it was no different to Chee. He too focused on human rights, the need to protect the rights of individuals, the need for true democracy etc. If fact they were near identical. Only Chiam spoke on heartlander specific issues such a price of flat, schooling, transportation, fairness in implementing policies etc.

So why was JBJ elected and not Chee. The primary reason was the JBJ reached out to the voters in this is while he was constantly bashing the PAP. Despite having a British wife, JBJ did not drag the British nor fly all over World.

In everything, in life, there are dos and there are don'ts.

Both WP and SDP has done a lot of dos, but SDP has done a lot of don'ts. That is where SDP lost a lot of points.

The NSP before 2011 has done less dos and also less don'ts than SDP. Their results are equal. The NSP after 2011 has less don'ts, but even less dos.

Compared to CSJ and SDP, JBJ has done slightly less dos but a lot less don'ts. He didn't stage a hunger strike, go for protests or flounder during strategic decisions like Punggol East.

If you use this simple dos and don'ts formula, you can see why some succeed and some do not.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did you read the first line of my post as follows?: "It is one thing to agree and give lip service ONLY. It is totally another thing to believe it truly enough to fight for it, like the SDP does. All true democratic ideals have to be fought for because no dictator would ever give them away freely and easily."

Both have different ways of pushing for ISA's abolishment. The term "lip service" means a person or organization saying things they do not mean and can only apply if you can prove that WP stayed away from anti-ISA events because WP's leaders really support the ISA in their hearts.

This is quite hard to prove because there are easily other reasons why WP did not attend the anti-ISA event. WP's own record shows that attending protests has never been their practice, and will not attend even if you organize a "Love the WP" protest.

If you use the same benchmark on SDP, you will end up with the folly argument that SDP is also "paying lip service" to cheaper housing and cheaper transport which they have been writing about, because SDP did not protest over high housing prices or attended the poly students' transport protest.

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Both have different ways of pushing for ISA's abolishment. The term "lip service" means a person or organization saying things they do not mean and can only apply if you can prove that WP stayed away from anti-ISA events because WP's leaders really support the ISA in their hearts.

This is quite hard to prove because there are easily other reasons why WP did not attend the anti-ISA event. WP's own record shows that attending protests has never been their practice, and will not attend even if you organize a "Love the WP" protest.

If you use the same benchmark on SDP, you will end up with the folly argument that SDP is also "paying lip service" to cheaper housing and cheaper transport which they have been writing about, because SDP did not protest over high housing prices or attended the poly students' transport protest.

Just to point out to you that the 50th anniversary of the Operation Coldstore was NOT a protest. It was as the word said, an ANNIVERSARY. If the WP is so kiasu and kiasi about everything, why call themselves an opposition party?????

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just to point out to you that the 50th anniversary of the Operation Coldstore was NOT a protest. It was as the word said, an ANNIVERSARY. If the WP is so kiasu and kiasi about everything, why call themselves an opposition party?????

"Anniversary" was the theme. Protest was the activity. It's better that I call it a rally instead since "protest" irks you, but the rest of my text does not change.

To add on, I believe WP has established a position that it brings up issues in the form of words and the channel will be the parliament. You are entitled to think that it is kiasi and kiasu.

Again, if I were to turn your argument around and strictly define the term "party", a party gets into power by election, then what is the significance of a party behaving like an events organiser?