• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

No Basis for S'pore Opposition Parties to Mimic M'sian Opposition Coalition

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The prob with TJS is his well deserved reputation that he is someone who cannot be trusted.

The dislike which many voters have of TJS is something that hardcore anti-PAP voters are in denial about. Still, he can contest with NS in Marine Parade and we can see the result. In that event, for some voters in that GRC it will be difficult to know whom they dislike more, TJS or TCJ.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to disagree with you here. If he joins NS in Marine Parade, he will add much needed gravitas to NS's young team. He had a cedible showing in the Presidential Elections and there is no empirical evidence to show he is hated or reviled. They will need someone much heavier than TCJ if they want to hold MP.

It is opposition leaders who don't like and don't trust given his reputation for being a backstabber.

The dislike which many voters have of TJS is something that hardcore anti-PAP voters are in denial about. Still, he can contest with NS in Marine Parade and we can see the result. In that event, for some voters in that GRC it will be difficult to know whom they dislike more, TJS or TCJ.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to disagree with you here. If he joins NS in Marine Parade, he will add much needed gravitas to NS's young team. He had a cedible showing in the Presidential Elections and there is no empirical evidence to show he is hated or reviled. They will need someone much heavier than TCJ if they want to hold MP.

It is opposition leaders who don't like and don't trust given his reputation for being a backstabber.

My view is that voters learn very fast. Here, I am not talking about hardcore anti-PAP voters but middle ground voters. The presidential election result was an edifying experience for many. I believe that many have vowed to be more discerning. That was quickly shown at the PEBE.

TJS is similar to KJ in many ways. Both are too full of themselves. Many voters are not stupid. They see all that very clearly.

Still, I think TJS and NS in Marine Parade would be an interesting contest. In such an event, it is likely that WP will allow NSP to have a straight fight there.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Excerpts from TJS's speech. Main thrust: vote out the PAP, form a coalition government.

Experience in government

"... the opposition today is more ready than the PAP was in 1959. How many in the PAP then had any experience of working in government? Only one, the late Dr Goh Keng Swee...Today spread out in the opposition ranks, I can count at least 9 individuals who have had many years of experience working at senior levels in six government agencies ....The PAP in 1959 had only one PhD, the late Dr Toh Chin Chye ... the opposition today have 7 PhD's ... In addition, we have several doctors, lawyers, economists, ex-bankers, ex-fund managers, corporate executives and entrepreneurs. Together there are at least 25 to 30 of us with a wide range of expertise to run an effective, competent and caring government."

Coalition government
" Can we work together coming from different parties to form a coalition government? Yes we can. Do not let PAP frighten you into believing that coalition governments are unstable and life will be chaotic. Today life goes on in 75 countries that are governed by coalition governments. Finland has shown the way. Coalition governments have ruled Finland for nearly 100 years with their so-called "rainbow coalition" ... Finland, a nation of about 5.5 million people, is a world leader in many fields.... the third most competitive nation in the world . So when the PAP calls the opposition a "rojak" bunch, point them to the rainbow in Finland. In fact not only is our rojak as multi-coloured and beautiful as the rainbow, it is also delicious. So go for it Singaporeans, have our favourite national dish; your life will taste much better under a rojak coalition than under the bitter fruits of a self-serving leadership.

Be Bold

Will you roar even louder in 2016? Will you be as brave and strong as the 1959 generation to vote for change? Will you vote out the PAP in 2016?

The Spirit of 1959 : Be Bold and Change Government

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

paiseh.... i never understand what so special about nicole seah. the result at MP was caused by the unpopular TPL and Lao Goh among the internet savvy middleclass in MP. The fact NSP didnt release figures on MP's individual electoral divisions meant PAP gain majority in all of them, inclusive of TPL's macpherson.

if NSP and SDP engage in 3CF at where i stay, i most likely will vote for SDP. The facts of many of NSP members were frogs mean their ideology are not united. Hazal Poa only joined a few months before 2011GE yet now she gen-sec of NSP. using the chinese phrase, she "He De He Nen".

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
NS has that X-factor which captures the hearts of people. This X-factor is absent from virtually all PAP MPs.

On the breakdown, it will truly be scary if all electoral divisions were lost. This is because given the closeness of the overall vote, it will put all electoral divisions within reach of NSP. This would make gerrymandering the electoral boundaries exceedingly difficult.

paiseh.... i never understand what so special about nicole seah. the result at MP was caused by the unpopular TPL and Lao Goh among the internet savvy middleclass in MP. The fact NSP didnt release figures on MP's individual electoral divisions meant PAP gain majority in all of them, inclusive of TPL's macpherson.

if NSP and SDP engage in 3CF at where i stay, i most likely will vote for SDP. The facts of many of NSP members were frogs mean their ideology are not united. Hazal Poa only joined a few months before 2011GE yet now she gen-sec of NSP. using the chinese phrase, she "He De He Nen".

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NS has that X-factor which captures the hearts of people. This X-factor is absent from virtually all PAP MPs.

On the breakdown, it will truly be scary if all electoral divisions were lost. This is because given the closeness of the overall vote, it will put all electoral divisions within reach of NSP. This would make gerrymandering the electoral boundaries exceedingly difficult.

i dont quite agree, ah goh will be gone in 2016 and TPL while not specticular but she also didnt make hoohaa since 2011GE where NS seems to drop off from public view. middle ground voters are not confirm anti pap voters and they too can swing back to pap embrace. there still 3 yrs to go, anything can happen.

as for X factor, i dunno, i not keen on her. i find her wayang too much. btw, if tpl was an albatross on pap MP team necks yet NS still cannot even get majority vote at macpherson, then it difficult to see how the X factor was an advantage.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing impressive about the Pakatan Rakyat coalition is the fact that despite obvious differences in policies, the 3 parties are prepared to put the policy differences aside and work together. The personality clash is less evident, to the extent that all 3 parties have implicity said that Anwar would become PM if PR forms the government. In Singapore, the individuals and parties calling for an opposition coalition have no seats in parliament and, worse still, have NOT said that they would work under the leadership of the party that has seats. They can keep on grandstanding and spouting hot air to inflate their already huge ego.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yeah, Nicole's X factor is that second X chromosome, if you know what I mean.

Many of us were very impressed with her during the GE but when she endorsed Tan Jee Say during the PE, I was thinking, "what the fuck is that idiot doing?" To be fair to her, a lot of opposition people, including VW, also endorsed TJS. TJS is turning out to be worse than - at least all those people who are complaining about the SDP not walking the ground still admit that they're working on policy. What has TJS done, other than talking about "opposition unity"?

Ritchie

Alfrescian
Loyal
The future governing body is its people, the government is just to facilitate it through good leadership. The government requires the people to support not its governing, but its empathical loving heart quality of listen, moderating, generosity and compassionate. It is not about fulfilling the never ending desire of materialism but to fulfil the aspiration of a loving nation by developing the loving personality of all, and a model for all people in the world loving to be part of it to make it everlastingly. This is the sole purpose of Mr Lee Kuan Yew and PAP. However, along the way, there is no one to remind it. Now this is being told to you. As Small Deng mentioned "not black cat or white cat" it is cat that can catch the loving kindness in the mouse of all :biggrin:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is safe to say that if Pakatan prevails tomorrow we can expect another round of calls from TJS and perhaps CSJ for opposition unity and an anti-PAP coalition. Some people are born to be publicity hounds.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
So, now one thing is certain after the M'sian GE: people who still call for an anti-PAP coalition or opposition unity will get a cold shoulder.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One thing impressive about the Pakatan Rakyat coalition is the fact that despite obvious differences in policies, the 3 parties are prepared to put the policy differences aside and work together. The personality clash is less evident, to the extent that all 3 parties have implicity said that Anwar would become PM if PR forms the government. In Singapore, the individuals and parties calling for an opposition coalition have no seats in parliament and, worse still, have NOT said that they would work under the leadership of the party that has seats. They can keep on grandstanding and spouting hot air to inflate their already huge ego.

The opposition (other than WP who doesn't want "unity") has never been clear about the details of opposition unity, but we can see glimpses of it during the Punggol by election. SDP's definition is that the candidate is from SDP, while WP gives them the machinery. SDA as we already know is an empty alliance of but just 2 parties, i.e. to have an alliance in name.

(KJ of RP, as usual, is his schizophrenic self, lambasting WP for not wanting to discuss yet 2 days later labelled unity as a "far-fetched notion". So to date no one knows what he really stands for.)

In short, the smaller parties want the upper advantage in unity when negotiating with a bigger party. That makes me feel none of them are sincere.

In Malaysia, the parties within BN or Pakatan will compromise by their willingness to limit their own power, say or number of candidates for the sake of their alliances, with the smaller parties compromising more. Do you think UMNO or DAP cannot find 222 candidates on their own?

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The opposition (other than WP who doesn't want "unity") has never been clear about the details of opposition unity, but we can see glimpses of it during the Punggol by election. SDP's definition is that the candidate is from SDP, while WP gives them the machinery. SDA as we already know is an empty alliance of but just 2 parties, i.e. to have an alliance in name.

(KJ of RP, as usual, is his schizophrenic self, lambasting WP for not wanting to discuss yet 2 days later labelled unity as a "far-fetched notion". So to date no one knows what he really stands for.)

In short, the smaller parties want the upper advantage in unity when negotiating with a bigger party. That makes me feel none of them are sincere.

In Malaysia, the parties within BN or Pakatan will compromise by their willingness to limit their own power, say or number of candidates for the sake of their alliances, with the smaller parties compromising more. Do you think UMNO or DAP cannot find 222 candidates on their own?

Yes. Agreed!

Pakatan parties all started out their GE13 campaign with more-or-less equal strength in parliament. That is why there is goodwill among all three. Now the Menteri Besar of Selangor has yet to be decided by the Pakatan parties. Despite some jockeying, there is still goodwill among the 3 Pakatan parties, as witness this statement:

'Shah Alam MP Khalid Samad said there was no issue of his party, PAS, being stronger than PKR in the state, although it won 15 state assembly seats compared with DAP's 15 and PKR's 14 in Sunday’s general election.

"In Pakatan Rakyat, we are all of the same strength," Khalid said.'

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/229385

This is not just a political statement or a goodwill statement, it also reflects the reality. Whatever people do or say they must always reflect the reality. Regrettably, some in the non-WP parties have yet to grasp that simple fact.