• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nicole Seah's faux pas

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is going to be more unpopular than the last, but to have the view (that Nicole's remarks were unwise) coincide with the Fat Village Insect was not for any reason because I wrote it first.

The unwise part wasn't her decision to avoid the Hougang BE - in fact, it is a wise move to preserve her personal popularity, which can be a bargaining chip if she has a run-in with WP anywhere else (a PAP ward) but this popularity will be in smithereens if she steps into Hougang and will have no star power in future.

The unwise part was that on top of her declaration, she added the remarks that anyone who contests Hougang "is not taking into consideration the work of Worker's Party MP Low Thia Kiang in retaining one of Singapore's longest-serving opposition wards". NSP is unlikely to go Hougang in the end, but at the present moment, her remarks have contradicted her party's which is still open-ended. She is indirectly saying that the party doesn't respect LTK by even considering.

Secondly, you are also giving the impression that you do not respect party decision by making a unilateral decision and statement despite being a CEC member.

As if double whammy is not enough, it becomes triple whammy when the man you supported as President, Tan Jee Say, was also one of those considering to go Hougang.

Saying all of the above, the faux pas is unlikely to dent her popularity - it will be a bit embarrassing to her, but that's it. As a young woman, she has to learn. Look at what such faux pas did to Gerald Giam.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's no faux pas. She appreciates and respects LTK works in Hougang over 20 years. Where else does WP has that kind of track record? That opens the rest of Singapore to contests. There's no faux pas by NSP too. Keeping options open until the last minute of nomination day is a democratic political right. There's no obligation to declare in advance whether to contest or not. Like seasoned players playing mahjong, when it's an pay-all (all biggies or nine suit or full garden and/or zoo etc.) hand shown, throw the tile at your own risk. With unseasoned players, they try to get agreement for upperhand to make a warning first since they can't read the game proficiently. Even rotation of banking winds isn't warned with seasoned players. The player on last wind in every round knows by reflex to flip the compass to show the change of winds. See for yourselves. The only faux pas committed is by your friend Madcow.

Last edited:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's no faux pas. She appreciates and respects LTK works in Hougang over 20 years. Where else does WP has that kind of track record? That opens the rest of Singapore to contests. There's no faux pas by NSP too. Keeping options open until the last minute of nomination day is a democratic political right. There's no obligation to declare in advance whether to contest or not. Like seasoned players playing mahjong, when it's an pay-all (all biggies or nine suit or full garden and/or zoo etc.) hand shown, throw the tile at your own risk. With unseasoned players, they try to get agreement for upperhand to make a warning first since they can't read the game proficiently. Even rotation of banking winds isn't warned with seasoned players. The player on last wind knows by reflex to flip the compass to show the change of winds. See for yourselves. The only faux pas committed is by your friend Madcow.

You probably didn't seem interested to get the whole gist because this is not a typical reply. No one would disagree that NS statement or NSP statement each standing alone would mean anything. But if LTK says that WP will abandon Nee Soon in the next GE and Sylvia Lim says WP will recontest there, without both addressing each other's remarks, it would mean something. The last of such incident happening to PAP was when Tony Tan called for scrapping of bonds while PM Lee disagreed.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Her statement is clear, concise and clear. She took the opportunity to score political points. She has nothing to lose. NSP and Hazel needs her more than she needs them. There is no loss on her part. I am sure you will agree that she will not contest 2016 with NSP unless the certain people are removed. She and Jeanette came over from RP and NSP was there long before RP.

I am Hazel, GMS, TJS and Frankie look like a bunch of clowns after what she said.

It tells me that she is political very suave.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Her statement is clear, concise and clear. She took the opportunity to score political points. She has nothing to lose. NSP and Hazel needs her more than she needs them. There is no loss on her part. I am sure you will agree that she will not contest 2016 with NSP unless the certain people are removed. She and Jeanette came over from RP and NSP was there long before RP.

I am Hazel, GMS, TJS and Frankie look like a bunch of clowns after what she said.

It tells me that she is political very suave.

Fair enough, that is a better response than the above. If it is not a faux pas, she might have done so intentionally and prepared to break bridges. As for whether she will contest under NSP in 2016, very hard for me to predict at this point.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saying all of the above, the faux pas is unlikely to dent her popularity - it will be a bit embarrassing to her, but that's it. As a young woman, she has to learn. Look at what such faux pas did to Gerald Giam.

sorry Perspective, i think you got it wrong....
she was rectifying a mistake she made in PE where she allow herself to be used by TJS....

I think she is determine not to be used by any1 beneath her anymore, be it hazel Poa, GMS or TJS.... that was her 1st major political faux pas, PE2011 ...

as far as she is concerned.. i think she see herself as only just beneath the big 3* for the moment, and maybe out of respect to Chiams...

this statement is actually signalling to hazel Poa, GMS or TJS that she is above them and that she will not take orders or allow herself to be manipulated by these 3 stooges... since she know this 3 stooges need her more than she need them

she is just protecting her own copyright and brand image because she is a mkting exce 1st and foremost.... why would she let let 3 cocksters say things in her name on her behalf, of course she must react....

I think she wan to be in WP... because NSP actually have no ground presence ... but she wan to be in WP on her own terms.... she is ingratiating herself to the WP rank and file now while throwing shit into the 3 cocksters face at the same time.......

and remember when GG join WP, he wasnt a nobody but a blogger with a following and TOC editor... how else did he kick out Perry ?
that is what she want... build up her own profile independent of NSP... and enter WP on her own term... she is not going start from the ground like her Ram uncle selling hammer....

you can see it during GE last yr, NSP was just a vehicle to contest, and Hazel just some ah bui bu to draft her policy statement since NS is still an airhead/bimbo in that dept.... Kwan Yue Keng said when they join NSP, their only condition was they wanted to be field as candidates...

you can see it clearly she is not interested in NSP, but herself only..

she is also not stupid to think she can beat ah huat on her own and she definitely doesnt want to break any brigdes with the WP and the big 3*... she rather burn her bridges with these 3 expendables cocks

* in DC comics, the Big 3 was Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman, in singapore, it refer to LTK, SL and CSM

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The way she made the statement gave me the impression that someone is advising her. Not only she killed the rumour, she also gave her support to WP, and warned others to respect certain core values especially in the area of incumbency.

Fair enough, that is a better response than the above. If it is not a faux pas, she might have done so intentionally and prepared to break bridges. As for whether she will contest under NSP in 2016, very hard for me to predict at this point.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But if LTK says that WP will abandon Nee Soon in the next GE and Sylvia Lim says WP will recontest there, without both addressing each other's remarks, it would mean something. The last of such incident happening to PAP was when Tony Tan called for scrapping of bonds while PM Lee disagreed.

Your example is out of sync. She said she won't contest. She didn't say she'd object to NSP sending another candidate to contest. But true, that puts NSP in an awkward position if some other NSP candidates really want to to contest. It's called a snook in the game.

Her statement is clear, concise and clear. She took the opportunity to score political points. She has nothing to lose.

With someone as her uncle, it's hard to miss such political points presented on platinum platter even without asking.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
The way she made the statement gave me the impression that someone is advising her. Not only she killed the rumour, she also gave her support to WP, and warned others to respect certain core values especially in the area of incumbency.

is that someone posting in this thread??? ram?

she will contest under NSP if WP brand remain much stronger than her own and NSP remain weak enough to be under her ctrl

... but if WP brand had been weaken such that they are willing to take her in on her own terms... she will drop NSP like how she drop RP...

remember if she join WP.... WP can just grab marine parade without giving face to NSP.... because voters do not recognise NSP only NS

With someone as her uncle, it's hard to miss such political points presented on platinum platter even without asking.

why you reply so fast .,... I was going to say its you...!!!

Your example is out of sync. She said she won't contest. She didn't say she'd object to NSP sending another candidate to contest. But true, that puts NSP in an awkward position if some other NSP candidates really want to to contest. It's called a snook in the game.

it is not not to her whether NSP contest or not...
but it mean that she wun endose her own party if they contest ....

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tjs ?

sorry Perspective, i think you got it wrong....
she was rectifying a mistake she made in PE where she allow herself to be used by TJS....

I think she is determine not to be used by any1 beneath her anymore, be it hazel Poa, GMS or TJS.... that was her 1st major political faux pas, PE2011 ...

as far as she is concerned.. i think she see herself as only just beneath the big 3* for the moment, and maybe out of respect to Chiams...

That's why the party system is not a good thing. Everyone has his or her own likings. They all just want to be free. Only fascist party like PAP's LKY can harness his subjects together for now.

Subject is a dirty word.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it is not not to her whether NSP contest or not...
but it mean that she wun endose her own party if they contest ....

She has three sides of the game, like in the mahjong analogy again, awaiting 1,4,7...2,5,8 or 3,6,9 also game. If she decides to help NSP campaigning and people ask, she can just say doing party duty. If she decides not to help the party campaigning, her word has been given earlier that she respects LTK and WP works in Hougang and wants to personally stay out of it. If NSP sacks her for that, that's flowertop pot up one more double on her political capital and total disaster for NSP.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Disagree. Nicole Seah did the honourable thing by her declaration. It was GMS who forced her hand, because GMS abused her name in vain. Nicole has the right to clear the air and declare her intention not to contest. Furthermore, she is also honourable in saying that anyone who wishes to contest is undermining the 20 yrs of hard work LTK had built.

I don't see the issue with contradicting an earlier statement made by NSP or by TJS. The original NSP & TJS remarks lacked class and character to begin with. Besides, we don't know if NSP has changed their minds since. The focus shouldn't be on breaking party protocol, but doing the right thing.

I don't see any faux pas by acting honorably, even if the CEC did not officially sanction her statement.

This is going to be more unpopular than the last, but to have the view (that Nicole's remarks were unwise) coincide with the Fat Village Insect was not for any reason because I wrote it first.

The unwise part wasn't her decision to avoid the Hougang BE - in fact, it is a wise move to preserve her personal popularity, which can be a bargaining chip if she has a run-in with WP anywhere else (a PAP ward) but this popularity will be in smithereens if she steps into Hougang and will have no star power in future.

The unwise part was that on top of her declaration, she added the remarks that anyone who contests Hougang "is not taking into consideration the work of Worker's Party MP Low Thia Kiang in retaining one of Singapore's longest-serving opposition wards". NSP is unlikely to go Hougang in the end, but at the present moment, her remarks have contradicted her party's which is still open-ended. She is indirectly saying that the party doesn't respect LTK by even considering.

Secondly, you are also giving the impression that you do not respect party decision by making a unilateral decision and statement despite being a CEC member.

As if double whammy is not enough, it becomes triple whammy when the man you supported as President, Tan Jee Say, was also one of those considering to go Hougang.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

it becomes triple whammy when the man you supported as President, Tan Jee Say, was also one of those considering to go Hougang.

True true. I think Seah has figured out that TJS is an opportunitist finally--took her so long but heh. Unilateral decision? No one on the net sees her as NSP. Everyone sees her as the Joan D'Arc (how false though) of the opposition. So NSP or not, she had to say that. And after seeing TJS style of fake politics, Nicole had to say something.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely. I knew then we were not dealing with an ordinary individual. That the first time that someone did two political things at one go and they were both lethal. Looks like it might be a pernakan that is going to bring down the other pernakan dynasty.

When she apologized on behalf of LKY to the Malay-Muslim community, I thought I was going to fall in love.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

An interesting proposition if this was true, because it would lead to the next question - who. A faction in NSP, Jeannette, Belmont, her parents or someone else. But there are too many possibilities to speculate - if true, that is.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely. I knew then we were not dealing with an ordinary individual. That the first time that someone did two political things at one go and they were both lethal. Looks like it might be a pernakan that is going to bring down the other pernakan dynasty.

More or less, I concur with everyone points that it is perhaps not a faux pas for her. Many seem to point to the signs that it is more a faux pas for NSP and others - simply because Nicole's political star shines brighter.

Which leads me to another observation. The whole thread discussions seems to lead to one thing - that "Nicole Seah" is an entity in its own right. A "starship" or brand name by itself. (And perhaps Nicole herself sees in this way as well.) Nicole is acting as a "personal organisation" in her own right and direction.

But there is a risk. We don't know what kind of "starship" is that - it certainly cannot be compared to the WP "starship" which is an organisation and a 50-year-old organisation that people recognise. Or how long this starship can fly.

In 2006, "Glenda Han" was somewhat a "starship" by itself, as much as it is a different league from NS. Still, the GH starship went to around 2008 - 2009 before out of fuel. Today, no one remembers GH in the same level and context as NS. What will happen to "the NS" 5 years later.

Secondly, these aren't likely to be team players, no matter how high their acumens are.