• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New Romance of 3 Kingdom serial drama is out

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its still based on 三国演义, not 三国志 :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
So whats the big difference between these 2? There're no good guys or bad guys in 三国志, and the real hero in that era is 曹操 :P

三国志 is more the historical account - dry & academic

三国演义 by Luo Guan Zhong (some say real author is Nai - who wrote Water Margin also) is the romanticized version - fictional novel based on historical events as recorded in 三国志. Most / All our familiar folklore & thrilling episodes of 3 Kingdoms come from this romanticized version. e.g. Diao Chan, Zhang Ban Po, Kong Cheng Ji etc

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
三国志 is more the historical account - dry & academic

三国演义 by Luo Guan Zhong (some say real author is Nai - who wrote Water Margin also) is the romanticized version - fictional novel based on historical events as recorded in 三国志. Most / All our familiar folklore & thrilling episodes of 3 Kingdoms come from this romanticized version. e.g. Diao Chan, Zhang Ban Po, Kong Cheng Ji etc

Bro I know lah, Ah Luo is a Liu Bei fan, u will be surprised how much I know about 三国志 :biggrin: Got 1 Stomper debate with me until he chui tak lan (speechless). :o:biggrin:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since the 70s, I have watched HK production of 3 kingdoms on TV & movies. Then the China version when reform is hot in the 80s & 90s.

I think the previous China made series shown on our TV is the best in terms of casting ...

Haven't seen the new one - but from alamaking's abundant pix posts, can see it is another costly production .... shouldn't be as bad as the 'Yi Tian Tu Long' showing on TV now .....

I cannot understand why people like to redo a series - if the earlier one is shit or they feel they can do a better job, fine.

But look at the countless remake in Taiwan/HK/China even Spore of Jin Yong's classics - whether it is Condor Heroes or * Dragons or Zhang Wu Ji...

The current showing YiTian Tu Long casting is the pits......poor casting & no new ideas...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since the 70s, I have watched HK production of 3 kingdoms on TV & movies. Then the China version when reform is hot in the 80s & 90s.

The 70s HK production was known as 三国春秋。关海山饰演刘备 and 张英饰演诸葛亮 both were good actors too but 张英 was a bit too old for the role, especially at 三顾茅庐 when 诸葛亮 was below age 30. The lack of production resources was also obvious as there wasn't any big armies and horses battle scenes. Those scenes were glossed over as map scenes of troop movements. But that's 70s HK, where to find such resources?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The 70s HK production was known as 三国春秋。关海山饰演刘备 and 张英饰演诸葛亮 both were good actors too but 张英 was a bit too old for the role,
Now that you mention, i realise I can even remember the tune of the theme song ! ... also the late 刘志荣 played 关羽 right ? 潘志文 played 吕布 .... those memorable 70s .... around that time also got 十大刺客 HK series ....

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro I know lah, Ah Luo is a Liu Bei fan, u will be surprised how much I know about 三国志 :biggrin: Got 1 Stomper debate with me until he chui tak lan (speechless). :o:biggrin:
ha ha even I won't claim I expert... but i believe you - your passion for this Classic is very much in evidence ... rearry PASSIONATE ! :smile:

When I was young, I was very sad with the ending (read in chinese those with classical comics in NLB Children's Dept) - why 姜维 such a good find as 孔明 successor, why in the end, he end up on Loser's side ..... early lessons that not all stories have fairy-tale endings....

But it is the 五虎将and all that heroics that were exhilarating to read ...
later upon re-reading when older, you realise the military & political tactics of the warring nobles ....

No wonder one of the top 4 Ancient Classic Novels alongside 'Journey West', 'Water Margin' & 'Red Chamber'.

It was rumored the Manchu founder Nu er Ha Chi always referred to SunTze & this Romance of 3 Kingdoms as the military texts that educated him ....

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As film technology, know-how & capital advance, I really really hope a drama series can be made faithful to the classic story of 封神榜 (Cannonization of the Gods), another childhood fantasy favourite of mine.

Imagine the use of CGI & other animation techniques to bring to life all the wonders of 法宝,Ne Cha, Er Lang Shen, 4 Heavenly Gods, 姜子牙,三教会合黄河阵 , 闻太师,打神鞭, 赵公明,阴阳镜 etc etc

I will only trust China Production .... sick of HK/Taiwan shows always focusing on 妲己 only ....

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now that you mention, i realise I can even remember the tune of the theme song ! ... also the late 刘志荣 played 关羽 right ? 潘志文 played 吕布 .... those memorable 70s .... around that time also got 十大刺客 HK series ....

Regardless of his acting skills, 潘志文 was to soft to look anything like 吕布。He then established his place in HK TV history as 啊立 in 变色龙。

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will only trust China Production .... sick of HK/Taiwan shows always focusing on 妲己 only ....

China period costume dramas pay serious attention to, customes! The real drab cloths and hairstyles of ancient times. HK and Taiwan ancient characters look dressed up from modern boutiques and hairstyled in modern salons with bright modern colours, extravagant accessories and hairstyling.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some hard facts about 三国志.

About Cao Cao
1) The true hero in Three Kingdoms, he got the most army, generals, strategists, and occupy the largest northern part of China
2) He accomplished the most among the 3 kingdoms, his grandfather was a eunuch. Liu Bei was born with royal status, Sun Quan inherited his kingdom from his father Sun Jian, then his brother Sun Ce.
3) He got the no.1 strategist in that era, 国嘉, 国嘉 greatly expanded Wei territory in a few years before he died young.

About Liu Bei
1) Liu Bei is good at doing 2 things, run and cry
2) Before Chibi, Liu Bei is always on the run
3) Liu Bei never fully trusted Zhuge even when he died, the relationship between them was not good at all.

General Facts
1) Zhuge is not a strategist, he's more like a "foreign minister". Liu Bei strategists are Pang Tong and Fa Zen, Liu Bei brought them to conquer Ba Shu and Han Zhong.
2) Zhuge losing in 6 straight defeats against Wei
3) Zhao Yun was a mediocre general, there's no such thing as 五虎将, Liu Bei have 4 generals, front Ma Chao, left Guan Yu, right Zhang Fei, back Huang Zhong.
4) There are 3 great battles in Three Kingdoms, Guandu Battle (Cao Cao vs Yuan Shao), Chibi Battle (Cao Cao vs Liu/Sun) and Yiling battle (Liu Bei vs Sun Quan)

Some true facts of Chibi Battle.
1) Lu Su is the main contributor for winning the battle, he suggested the ally and approached Liu Bei 1st, not Zhuge.
2) Borrow 100,000 arrows - Fake
3) Call Upon East Wind - Fake
4) Pang Tong suggest tying the boats with iron chains - Fake (Pang Tong only appear after ChiBi)
5) Guan Yu let go of Cao Cao in his last escape route - Fake (it never happened)

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CCTV 90s Romance Of Three Kingdoms series is still the best, can't imagine how to beat it. The two songs (episode opening and closing) were also classics. However, for the best ever Three-Kingdom song, this 70s HK one is still best, impossible to beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2_Fvc3HinQ

Listen to the lyrics on top of the classically inspiring music, 遥望汉江山。。。魏,蜀,吴,灭强敌对三分天下。。。

Last edited:

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2) Zhuge losing in 6 straight defeats against Wei

35d3ztc.jpg

<object width="500" height="405">"Ma Su is a fool. So is Pang Tong."

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eBzU8ftS9ro&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></object>

Ma Su is a fool.

<object width="500" height="405">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/COtKyFE_XqE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></object>

So is Pang Tong

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

2lj49yb.jpg

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oe0EABDo9hA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></object>

Wolong Yin 卧龙吟 (English subtitles)

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y8pHXAs4jv0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></object>

Wolong Yin 卧龙吟 (古琴)

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
正合我意! Still awaiting with great anticipation with news about his tomb findings. :biggrin:

Those who thinks Liu Bei and the gang are the good guys and Cao Cao is a villain, i PUI! you :biggrin::biggrin:

Liu Bei declared himself as Han Zhong Wang, while Cao Cao never declared himself as a King. So who's the traitor of Han dynasty in the end?

Cao Cao beheaded those historic writers who only wrote his achievements but never wrote his ruthlessness.

Cao Cao only bow down to 1 person, its not the King, but to his 1st wife who left him because she was tired travelling with him and he regrets for letting her go.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those who didn't know, Han Dynasty and Three Kingdoms history was deeply ingrained in Japan as foundation of Japanese civilisation. This is another solid song from Japanese Sanguozhi amime series. In Japanese, with Chinese subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Ugv2KccI4

In fact, it's well acknowledged even in China today, that Japanese today behaves more closely to Han Chinese than Chinese in China elsewhere.

This version for those who understand Japanse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdTdkzh2Kww&feature=related

Last edited: