• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

National Family Council 'Funeral' ad a ripoff?

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Right at the beginning they already said "Mrs Lee, do you have anything to say?" Later on, the they show the deceased picture and it is clearly a chinese guy.

Anyway, the casting is not very accurate. Usually it is Chinese woman married to a Indian man. Or they could have an SPG Mrs Smith or a Madam Nguyen

excuse me! i got a Chinese colleague married a Indian woman. Their son married a malay gal, going to convert soon. really multi racial!!! in the end, convert to muslim!

banova888

Alfrescian
Loyal
WHy is it so hard for you to accept that there are too many similarities between the two scenes? Snoring is common but farting and waking up oneself isn't. I would be very surprised if the director hasn't watched Good Will Hunting as it was a good movie and it seems to be a movie that someone like her would appreciate.

Using the word imperfection isn't cliche. There are indeed other words that could have been used. Indeed, for an ad targeted towards the masses, a simpler word would have been better. "Not perfect" or "Good and Bad" would have been better!

I really cannot fathom how you can deny the number of similarities to the extent where you don't even question if indeed plagiarism was committed. But wait, you actually went further. You actually insulted someone for questioning if plagiarism was committed.

If you really want to target the masses, words like cliche, fathom and plagiarism do not work. Is this Mandarin?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
just as we can't know for sure a scholar plagiarised a work unless he admits to it.

I don't think you have a clue what plagiarism means. People have been sacked, suspended, sued and convicted, expelled, etc without they admitting anything. Thats both in academia and the elsewhere.

Yours is not even a long stretch of the bow. You are not even in the zone. Plagiarism is either wholesale copying of content may it be a short paragraph, a picture or ideas or substantial copying of a body of work or even a framework.

The lady herself has indicated in her blog that the movie has inspired her. However creative one is, they will still use things that others have created along the way. The final product is an assembly of ideas and content. Notice the ceiling shot, the sun shining at a low angle with one half of the faces in shadow etc. All that too are copied. You consider that plagiarising? I have seen that done many times in films long before she left school.

Was this Ad's striking feature the snore and the dog. Was the snore and the dog a copy in form and content. Was the fart with the dog or the dog with the snore and it goes on and on.

Maybe you want to list the striking points of the Ad. Here is my take.

1) loss of life
2) unusual eulogy by spuse
3) Mrs Lee with a sari ? until you see the photo of the husband
4) So many friends
5) Intermarriage,mixed blood kids
6) Accepting imperfection in all including your loved ones (main message)

Looks like you are looking for all the imperfections even when they are not there.

Compare that with the NDP example that you cited on your blog and its different as chalk and cheese. The NDP is an obvious case of plagiarism.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is tiresome. You're obviously trying to bait me into another debate so you can regain the offensive. Sorry, I won't be taking it up. If you think they're different in this context then we differ; I'm not willing to discuss what it might mean in some other sociological context.

Why would you think this is a fight and I am baiting you (to do what?) and what is this about gaining offensive? The discussion is very simple. You think the ad is plagiarized, I think it's not. I do believe she got the ideas for the overall product and concept from a variety of sources (yes, perhaps even Good Will Hunting) but that's how most people work to produce a painting, an invention, a scholarly piece of work or a piece of music; however that is neither sufficient nor necessary to charge her of plagiarism.

You seem to think that if more people think it's plagiarized, then the piece of work is. You seem not to allow others to think that the work cannot be considered plagiarized. You obviously would not accept the director's own explanation of how the how idea was conceptualized (unless her explanation involves her admittance of plagiarism).

If you were fair and objective to yourself, you would have compared the NDP ad with this ad, and see that the former is obviously plagiarized but the latter is not.

And for the last time, plagiarising is not the same as being inspired. Drawing ideas from disparate sources to come up with a concept that is significantly different from these sources is not plagiarism. The whole must be considered before the parts.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't have time to respond to the last few replies here, but this story has finally been carried by the mainstream media:

http://www.straitstimes.com/vgn-ext...nnel=e2c1758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_365690.html?vgnmr=1

I doubt its the lack of time. More like the inability to convince others the basis for your argument. You obviously can't comprehend what ST wrote. Then again, you might not have the time to respond again.

Defennder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sigh. I have said all I have to say above, and I'll let others judge them on their own merits. I don't have time, I meant, to convince some individuals, whom due to their overinflated egos, think that their opinion on this is representative of everyone else. I have neither the time nor interest to "convince" these people. Have it your way.

Anyone who is able to watch the videos can excercise their own judgement. They obviously do not need me or anyone else to teach them how to interpret them. That's all I have to say. Flame away if you have to.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
i just think it is lousy.. if the director tried to copy, then she failed big time..

the previous one about the dad who save to buy shoes for her daughter was great..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sigh. I have said all I have to say above, and I'll let others judge them on their own merits. I don't have time, I meant, to convince some individuals, whom due to their overinflated egos, think that their opinion on this is representative of everyone else. I have neither the time nor interest to "convince" these people. Have it your way.

Anyone who is able to watch the videos can excercise their own judgement. They obviously do not need me or anyone else to teach them how to interpret them. That's all I have to say. Flame away if you have to.
Hope this serves as a good lesson for you.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck you lah scroobal! Fucking lousy snipe! Intellectual? Lanjiao to you! And lanjiao to you too Defender for being such a fucking loser! And fucking Sneering Tree, kudos for defending your friend hor? Other than against religious zealots, I've never seen you fight so hard for an individual. Who's Yasmin to you?:oIo:

Yasmin is nothing to me. I don't know her and she certainly does not know me. I fought hard against smokers too. :cool: