• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My History Teacher was Wrong about Raffles

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fuckwa made money from taxjng gambling. Raffles was not happy. Was he religious? I cannot find that.
he was not particularly religious but very fond and proud of one of his children. at around two and half she could speak malay, hindustani, and of course english, and translate them. but the child died young. very devastating for raffles. he forbade gambling, banned slavery, and heavily taxed drunkenness and opium smoking. he will make tanwahtiu proud.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
because raffles institution sounds better. Farquhar institution sounds like a vulgar mouthful of a neighbourhood school .

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
my uncle say why a history teacher is needed unless the student cannot read or check dictionary or the book is in foreign language and the teacher is translating for the students.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Raffles was a politician and he really knows how to play his cards well to his own benefit.
There was this documentary show that showcase the life of Raffles.
It was mentioned that William Farquhar has already been managing Sillypore very well even before Raffles came into the picture.
Based on the facts, Raffles was not the pioneer who setup and developed Sillypore.
William Farquhar has been doing a good job and Raffles decided to play his card and claim all the credits to himself.

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Dutch economist Albert Winsemius, who advised the Singaporean government throughout the 1960s and 70s, reportedly said that they should “let Raffles stand” as a symbolic gesture that Singapore would be safe for Western capital, even as the wars in Indochina raged on and Malaysia battled a Communist insurgency.

Does educators bother to teach the plain vanilla truths?
Our local students only learn the version that MOE planned in the syllabus.

i wonder if any of our JC/secondary school history teacher or NUS Arts & Social Science history grad,
ever bother to dig further and read these insights.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
So now we know why it was a black statue. He had a colorless reputation bring no glory to himself and BE.

An evil one.