• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mother of a NS man

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
If having my youngest child enter secondary school did not make me feel old, witnessing my son get enlisted into National Service(NS) certainly seals it. As we waited at Pasir Ris Bus Interchange for the ride to Changi Ferry Terminal, I watched the other parents hovering around their sons. Gosh, do I look as old as them? I turned to Mike. Does he look as old as those fathers there as well? A friend once commented to me the same thought as we attended a parenting teenager talk and I had rebuked her for still thinking herself as haven’t aged. She shook her head. It wasn’t about her. She’s quite sure her husband does not look like the Ah Peks around us.

My aunt had called the night before to warn me not to be ‘too emo’ about it. Her sisters had cried and she probably did as well when her only son got enlisted. I assured her I wouldn’t. I had been eagerly anticipating this day, and the only regret is what I thought was a three-month absence became nine weeks and then Ivan told me, ‘I’ll be back on 17 Feb.’ Huh? Why so soon?

As soon as we arrived at Tekong, a man in uniform told Ivan, ‘Tuck your shirt in.” I expected Andreas to be told the same thing but he was spared. The square yellow sticker on Ivan’s shirt had distinguished him from Andreas’ yellow round sticker. The new recruits were separated immediately and the families were ushered into a tour bus with a complimentary goodie bag each, comprising a bottle of water, an oreo pack and a tissue packet.

We toured around the facility. The beach and sea surrounding the buildings gave the island a resort feel. Despite the noon sun, there were many recruits jogging and playing ball. They were the early entrance because of the lack of fitness. They waved to the parents cheekily as we drove by.

The dorms we toured were clean and the thick 8-inch mattress could be even more comfortable for some recruits than what’s at home. Mike was particularly impressed with the steel cabinets. His had been wooden and they had to stick papers to the wooden planks. ‘Look!’ He exclaimed, “A compartment for the rifle!’ I think if given the chance, he would want to enlist again. The mothers were more concern about the domestic stuff. We were told they have to wash the laundry by hand in the one bucket provided each and dry the wet clothes on the strings just outside the window. The bed sheets are collected by professional laundry and changed weekly.

We were led to a lecture theatres and shown the light weight uniforms, the Acsics shoes, cool sandals, the state of the art water bag, the waterproof boots and even the strong insect repellent provided. The field packs had lotus roots with peanuts, glutinous rice or pastas.

Next, we were driven to the auditorium where the recruits were already seated and watching a video. We searched excitedly for Ivan. Not one recruit turn to meet our eyes or wave. They stared stoically on the screen ahead. None of us could locate him in the sea of similar faces.

The commanding officer gave us a briefing as to what was to come for these young men. He assured us that safety is the paramount concern and all recruits would be taken care of. There are many channels for these men to voice out. A short video was shown on how generations of men have gone through NS, something all parents should be proud of.

After the video, the recruits stood to take the oath. As they ended the speech about protecting Singapore with “My Life”, I felt a lump in my throat. (In case like my brother you didn’t read properly, it’s not a ‘tear to my eye’ but a ‘lump in my throat’.) As a mother, I gave him this life and to hear him swears his allegiance to his country somehow makes me feel as I had also contributed.

It’s often said doing NS transform a boy to a man, that alone is reason enough for me to support NS. Thus I am astonished that some parents are rather apprehensive about NS. A friend told me she knows of a German who actually chose to serve NS in Singapore. Yesterday, there was an angmoh in Ivan’s company as well.

We enjoyed ourselves yesterday and was assured and comforted by the arrangement done for the family of new recruits. My eldest son, Andreas, would be enlisting in the next few months and he is certainly looking forward to it.

http://vickychong.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/mother-of-a-soldier/

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vicky, Mike, Andreas, Ivan, German, Angmo etc. ?????So Vicky is mother, Mike is the father, Andreas is the brother of Ivan and Ivan is the chap reporting for NS and doing BMT in Tekong wearing asics shoes for PT and the bedsheet from his bunk will be done by professional laundry. Mike the father was particulary impressed with the steel cabinet. Father keen re enlist. If I was Ivan, I would find a big paper bag and cover my face for having a mum and family like that.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
the very moment i received the rifle, i dumb that piece of oily, and heavy metal piece of shit straight into the cardboard. i have no fucking idea why so many of my peers then got so excited about it then.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the very moment i received the rifle, i dumb that piece of oily, and heavy metal piece of shit straight into the cardboard. i have no fucking idea why so many of my peers then got so excited about it then.

The moment your daddy me received my first revolver in Police Academy, I pulled the corking hammer and clicked the trigger for fun, knowing that it wasn't loaded since I haven't received the bullets yet. Luckily the DI never saw, only the duty IC squad (same recruit rank that time) saw and pulled me aside to tell me off.

For rifle training, we went to Maju Camp. Of course, it couldn't be as comprehensive and everyday stuff like army training unless one got posted to PTF (SOC) later. It was just basic lessons how to strip and reassemble rifle, how to load magazine and shoot, and a simple 300m range shooting test at the end. But it was fun.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Typical woman, who thinks she has the SAF all figured out with just a visit to Pulau Tekong. :rolleyes:

Listen up all you womenfolk: BMT is the honeymoon period of a NS conscript's life. Incidentally, it is also a public relations management tool of Mindef, cleverly used to show you the bright, cheery side of NS.

Oooh, look at the bed! Look at the food! How nice!

Once your son gets posted to a unit, things may become not so pleasant. It depends on the unit.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KNN, is this lady being paid by MINDEF to write such a long winded essay like this..??? :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: I can bet you that she will be be singing a differerent tune if her son drops dead one day while doing his 2.4 Km run..:rolleyes:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
As a mother, I gave him this life and to hear him swears his allegiance to his country somehow makes me feel as I had also contributed.

are the oaths which aren't taken under one's free will still considered valid? :confused::confused::confused:

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Those Malaria pills make you impotent :eek:
Are there still night training on Thursday night in Pulau Tekong ?
:biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Those Malaria pills make you impotent :eek:
Are there still night training on Thursday night in Pulau Tekong ?
:biggrin:

Ah yes, I remember that I was arrowed into becoming the malaria pill I/C. Everybody must swallow a pill before bedtime, then raise their tongue for inspection.

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah yes, I remember that I was arrowed into becoming the malaria pill I/C. Everybody must swallow a pill before bedtime, then raise their tongue for inspection.

Really a bitter pill to swallow :biggrin:
The story about the female spirit at the Jacob's Ladder still circulating ?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not sure, but during my time, it was rumored that a recruit from a neighboring company had committed suicide.

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
((My eldest son, Andreas, would be enlisting in the next few months and he is certainly looking forward to it.))

read this sentence alone and you will know that all the rest are nothing but bullshit.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The feeling for me was very different. I knew I am going to waste 2.5 years of my life in the stupid place. That time, don't even think of reservist yet. True enough, 2.5 years wasted. Only consolation is found good friends/kakis in NS.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did not call home on my first week cos' every recruit was hogging the public phone. Before enlisted, told my old folks not to worry if I don't call home (means I am OK) and don't forget to bring a carton of marlboro red on parent visiting day.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Goodies bag, attending a party?, door gifts too?. During my time, you are loaded on to 3-tonner, like herding cattles ( only thing they don't use an electric prod). The bunk beds have no mattress & you are lucky, have good springs. First month, you do not book out & one feel like you were been sent to a concentration camp in Siberia. There wasn't mobile phones back them, 1,000 recruits share 2 public phones & if you lucky, it is working. The food given was not fit for human consumption( don't think it will even get ISO or even HACCP), morning breakfast , the bread comes from Changi Prison ( made by prisoners), can bounce if you drop on the floor, the butter or magarine is in a big goo, some days resembling the rock structure in Close Encounters of the Third Kind or you get kway teow soup, with the kway teow swimming in some water, don't ask about the fried beehoon/noodle or even rice. As for lunch or dinner, the rice is of the lowest quality in the market, the kind you feed your fowls with; the marine workers today, pooni rice are far more better; there are sand in them rice & the vegetables too & come with caterpillars. Forgot to mention, the morning coffee or tea, taste like, it had been strain through a sock & yes, it did. Never mind about the rest, I guess, many will all know, what it was...never mind about the training also.

They make it today that their sons are going in for some holiday retreat...no wonder, NS is Killing SINgapore ( where is Madmansg?):p

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My time, just turn up by myself, jump into 3 tonner next to chaps who brought along rifle cleaning rods. First weekend to go home, sleep for 24 hrs.