• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mobile Food Sellers of Yesteryear

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why I say, THE MINISTRY OF CULTURE would not approve!!:p fortunately we did not have the internet back then...:biggrin:

Back then. the old ladies at the Minstry of Culture didn't approve of many things from sex, violence, politics,....whatever.

The younger generation probably don't realise that many things in Spore was censored & banned.

Movies like Hair was banned (probably for being anti-authoritarian/anti-establishment). The Exorcist was censored for being too scary & then re-censored when people complained :biggrin: Even Cosmopolitan was banned at some point in time.

Kitaro was denied entry because of his long hair . Back then there were signs in the post office, warning that people who had long hair would be served last.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The stage version of Hair had one long mass nude scene, but the movie version didn't seem to have it. It was anti-establishment but would have been quite oblique.

Not allowing Kitaro to perform because of his hair was in a league of its own, somewhere up there with Kim Jong Il and Mao Zedong.

And Cosmo was banned because Minister of Culture Dhanabalan didn't like it. When asked why he didn't bring it up for debate in parliament, he said to the effect, no need to trouble parliament, or for that matter, the courts - his ministerial decision could not be challenged.

One of the funniest things about the above was this. When I was in NS MINDEF used to loan out VHS tapes "to entertain the troops". I was the officer in charge of choosing the tapes for my unit. When I looked through what was available, I was quite surprised and amused to find:
  • Hair;
  • Life of Brian.

And as far as I could tell, neither was censored.

When I showed it to the men, they said they needed to sleep to prepare for the next day's exercise. And there was none. Which really goes to show the PAPzis completely misjudged the reach of this type of films.

Back then. the old ladies at the Minstry of Culture didn't approve of many things from sex, violence, politics,....whatever.

The younger generation probably don't realise that many things in Spore was censored & banned.

Movies like Hair was banned (probably for being anti-authoritarian/anti-establishment). The Exorcist was censored for being too scary & then re-censored when people complained :biggrin: Even Cosmopolitan was banned at some point in time.

Kitaro was denied entry because of his long hair . Back then there were signs in the post office, warning that people who had long hair would be served last.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Kitaro was denied entry because of his long hair . Back then there were signs in the post office, warning that people who had long hair would be served last.
he was mayb served later ... he did enter n perform ... tink, complete wif his loong hair sum mor ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he was mayb served later ... he did enter n perform ... tink, complete wif his loong hair sum mor ...

The fact that he performed in Spore means that allowance were made to ignore his long hair.

According to an interview I heard he recounted his experienced at the airport, he was asked to get a haircut or to leave Spore. He chose to to leave with his hair intact :biggrin:

When I heard that my admiration for Kitario increased. Not only is his music cool but so is he :smile:

Today long hair is common among foreigners. I suspect its more about saving money on haircuts than the spread of the hippy culture.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... According to an interview I heard he recounted his experienced at the airport, he was asked to get a haircut or to leave Spore. He chose to to leave with his hair intact :biggrin: ...
he prob was tinking ... 身体发肤,受之父母,不敢毁伤,孝之始也 ... :p

me was there wen he performed @ ze indoor stadium much later ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe you are thinking of "Oh! Calcutta" where the performers are all nude?
In Hair there is no nudity at least not in the video that I have. :smile:

Movies shown during NS are not censored. Don't know why but no one is complaining :biggrin:

With whats available in Geylang I think the archaic laws on censorship belongs in the rubbish heap. It has caused the lost of tourist attractions like Bugis Steet(with the ahem girls)

Maybe Post News can dig up some pictures :biggrin:

The stage version of Hair had one long mass nude scene, but the movie version didn't seem to have it. It was anti-establishment but would have been quite oblique.

Not allowing Kitaro to perform because of his hair was in a league of its own, somewhere up there with Kim Jong Il and Mao Zedong.

And Cosmo was banned because Minister of Culture Dhanabalan didn't like it. When asked why he didn't bring it up for debate in parliament, he said to the effect, no need to trouble parliament, or for that matter, the courts - his ministerial decision could not be challenged.

One of the funniest things about the above was this. When I was in NS MINDEF used to loan out VHS tapes "to entertain the troops". I was the officer in charge of choosing the tapes for my unit. When I looked through what was available, I was quite surprised and amused to find:
  • Hair;
  • Life of Brian.

And as far as I could tell, neither was censored.

When I showed it to the men, they said they needed to sleep to prepare for the next day's exercise. And there was none. Which really goes to show the PAPzis completely misjudged the reach of this type of films.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was at Albert Centre & notice that the Indian Rojak stall had a sign claiming it was from Waterloo Street. The name of the stall is Siraj.

So if you want a taste of the past maybe you can try :biggrin:

there's 800 photos of Waterloo Street but no sarabat stalls.:biggrin:

getImage.jsp

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

those were the time when sinkapoor was very strict but with back bone! i think this long hair thingy was by lky himself, he even defended it.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of of the thrills in school days, was to go on a day tour by the bumboats just to sail around Singapore, and take one to St John's Island...during the month when devotees goes to Kusu islands...best to avoid Clifford Pier, the bus stop & the taxi stand...it would be packed with devotees, going there & coming back with the joss sticks still burning, yellow threads on the hands...people selling joss sticks etc...it would be nosiy, smokey, crowded...:biggrin:

I miss Clifford Pier...as it was..

i miss Clifford Pier too and the kusu season during the 9th month of the lunar calendar.

during normal days, Clifford pier was a temporary get away for those who work in raffles place during lunch time to enjoy some peaceful moment and sea breeze.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bob Dylan "Mr Tambourine Man " was banned, Mamas & Pappas "Puff The Magic Dragon", The Beatles " Lucy In The Skies With Diamonds", Elton John "Star Fucker"...and many others, when I listen to the later days Rap/Hip Hop/ RB...all the banned songs of the past...sounds pale in comparison..

I saw both the censored & uncensored versions of The Exorcist, God Father 1, and many others..for I had accessed to films (the reel ones) not boootleg...ahh yes! a film that will never eve be shown here or in this part of the world....they would bomb the cinema EXODUS!!

Not only Hair, there were many others, I remember going to JB to see Bruce Lee Films, Woodstock & many others that were either banned or censored in SINgapore..

Kitaro, I admired him for making his stand on cutting his hair & not performing here....the stuffy brains of the Min Of Culture could not understand what was Art, Culture or music....you think today they do?, given to the large amount of trash...that is allowed today??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i miss Clifford Pier too and the kusu season during the 9th month of the lunar calendar.

during normal days, Clifford pier was a temporary get away for those who work in raffles place during lunch time to enjoy some peaceful moment and sea breeze.

You kidding with KUSU month....the place will be jammed packed with devotees, mostly the ah sors, the ah ma's the....Queuing up at the metal barriades...it will be hot, noisy...and when the day wear on...plus those returning from Kusu with the joss sticks, still lighted in their hands..add sweaty, smokey...I avoid Clifford Pier at that month...

It was lovely sitting on the bench facing the sea, getting the sea breeze in your face & hair, with then Cassete Walkman in ear, later CD walkman...it was most relaxing..IT WAS FREE SPACE to walk...

now it is PAy & Pay territory....:mad:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
n534439615_1721363_4649.jpg

This sign was displayed at many public buildings in Singapore in the 70's​

Nowadays the women is sporting even shorter hair than the signs..some even 3 by 4...I think LKY will approve....whereas some men today go bald, definitely pass csnsors...:biggrin:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got explanation in the press... i agree no need to debate this in parliament ...
The explanation was something like .... trend of articles in Cosmo teaching woman to suka suka divorce or how to conduct affairs discretely ... something like that ... bad for 'Asian Values' which was 'Confucian'-obsessed Old Man's mantra then.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got explanation in the press... i agree no need to debate this in parliament ...
The explanation was something like .... trend of articles in Cosmo teaching woman to suka suka divorce or how to conduct affairs discretely ... something like that ... bad for 'Asian Values' which was 'Confucian'-obsessed Old Man's mantra then.

What Asian Values....now divorces are as common as the houseflies...women cohabiting in & out of marriage is the norm....girls are getting sex younger as the days go by...women openly having sex & vice versa is so common today, that nobody ever bat an eye..and Confucius today is CHOW YUEN FATT...

Confucius was a Male Chauvinist Pig....what values....he in some way stifled the Chinese from making much progress...

anything that can bind the people to the ground...will be good for the old man...

:mad:

AhBengBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was lovely sitting on the bench facing the sea, getting the sea breeze in your face & hair, with then Cassete Walkman in ear, later CD walkman...it was most relaxing...

If I was you, I sure to play my tiny Sony Minidisc. CD player too big to carry here and there. But now also got no more people use Minidisc.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I was you, I sure to play my tiny Sony Minidisc. CD player too big to carry here and there. But now also got no more people use Minidisc.

Bro!.Sony MD need an MD deck to copy songs from the CD..and one have to buy the pricey music MD's...it was cheaper to record songs onto cassettes & then later use CD player...

It was not economical, even though I could afford a MD deck then....:wink: