• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MM's prescription for Spore's success...

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
IN GOVERNING Singapore, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew sees no need to follow anyone's prescription on democracy.
Instead, his focus is on what works.

Speaking last Sunday on the CNN programme Global Public Square, Mr Lee said his goal is to keep Singapore a first-world oasis in a third-world situation.

'I am not following any prescription given me by any theoretician on democracy. I work from first principles, what will get me there - social peace and stability within the country, no fight between the races, between religions, fair shares for all, everybody is a homeowner,' he said.

Host Fareed Zakaria, editor of Newsweek International, said Mr Lee had achieved remarkable success for Singapore in his lifetime.

But he also noted the criticisms that Mr Lee had exercised too tight a control over the country, leading to 'too domineering and coercive a state'.

Mr Lee, Singapore's first Prime Minister from 1959 to 1990, replied that Singaporeans can choose which government they want to have through the vote.

'Nobody has ever alleged any chicanery - no bribery, no coercion, no nothing. We have never won less than... two-thirds of the vote,' he said.

Singapore also has the best-educated work force anywhere in Asia. Within another 10 years, it might become the best educated 'anywhere in the world', he added.

He hopes Singapore will follow America's lead in areas such as inventiveness and creativity, but not its inability to control either drug or gun problems.

'These are my choices. I go by what is good governance.

'What are the things I aim to do? A healthy society that gives everybody a chance to achieve his maximum,' he said.

Asked about the difficulties that opposition political parties face in Singapore, he maintained that it was not the Government's business to enable the opposition to overturn it.

On the United States' efforts to spread democracy around the world, Mr Lee expressed his doubts that they would succeed.

'I don't think it's do-able,' he said, adding that he was a 'social Darwinist' who believed that only the need to survive pushed societies to change.

A

Alu862

democracy is not always the first step to development. Even economists have noted that. That does not mean we should not have some democracy ideas.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY is a social darwinist....which while its understandable, doesn't mean that we cannot help the poorest of the poor when they are down and out.

Society is better when one helps the other, as bonds are forged together. Darwinist solutions only do the opposite when it allows the rich to be excessively rich, and the poor, to be exceedingly poor.

troubledtimes

Alfrescian
Loyal
In any event, Darwin himself believes altriuism is the highest skill for survival, as it is the best form of self advertisment. Hence the rational behind animals working in groups or packs (monkeys, hyenas, etc). So if LKY understands what darwinism actually is, he will opt for a society where altriusm is a key social model..

Last edited:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
MM Lee is still working very hard going round the globe selling Singapore Brand. A great statesman who takes a day at a time.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
'Nobody has ever alleged any chicanery - no bribery, no coercion, no nothing. We have never won less than... two-thirds of the vote,' he said.

certainly clean and above the board... so i reckoned the boundaries for the GRCs will be set in stone and not being subjected to so many changes... :p

members of the opposition parties, go forth and work it out! the boundaries wouldn't change anymore! :biggrin:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
now i wonder how fast the cracks would start showing... :p

cracks will appear with time - wear and tear - when there are no leeway and no space to breathe....maybe and maybe not. special cement and special stones that do not crack at all:wink::wink::wink:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate leaders who deal with absolutism, like its my way or the highway attitude. LKY is such a leader who thinks increasingly like that as he got older, and he has become exceedingly stubborn, hot tempered and irascible.

That's why he's so out of touch. The only reason on why he continues to 'promote' the S'pore brand is because he thinks he is the Singapore brand, and he's Singapore.

:rolleyes:

A

Alu862

I hate leaders who deal with absolutism, like its my way or the highway attitude. LKY is such a leader who thinks increasingly like that as he got older, and he has become exceedingly stubborn, hot tempered and irascible.

That's why he's so out of touch. The only reason on why he continues to 'promote' the S'pore brand is because he thinks he is the Singapore brand, and he's Singapore.

:rolleyes:

But what brand do Singaporeans want? They know only utility maximisation which is provided to them for the last 43 years

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No doubt. MM Lee is Singapore. Singapore is MM Lee. No more and no less. He is The Man! Give the man a Tiger!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY being the social darwinist and core pragmatist appears to strictly adhere to one particular principle i.e. "what you give, you can never take back". This explains his acute wariness over the concept of "welfarism".

LKY is a social darwinist....which while its understandable, doesn't mean that we cannot help the poorest of the poor when they are down and out.

Society is better when one helps the other, as bonds are forged together. Darwinist solutions only do the opposite when it allows the rich to be excessively rich, and the poor, to be exceedingly poor.