• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MBT will win 70% votes in Tampines...

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
you sure or not?

Appointment of Prime Minister and Ministers
25. —(1) The President shall appoint as Prime Minister a Member of Parliament who in his judgment is likely to command the confidence of the majority of the Members of Parliament, and shall, acting in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister, appoint other Ministers from among the Members of Parliament:

Provided that, if an appointment is made while Parliament is dissolved, a person who was a Member of the last Parliament may be appointed but shall not continue to hold office after the first sitting of the next Parliament unless he is a Member thereof.

For those with long memories, how did they do it for Minister Aline Wong? I remember she carried on being a Minister for quite a bit after she lost the election.

Also the Act does not mentioned NMPs. Can a PAP NMP be appointed as a Minsiter?

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sam,

can you move all these useless political threads to the political folder? these morons need to be put in their proper place.

thank you.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was a badly run strategy by Ling and they got smacked. Chiam too was burnt because his candidate was ignored. I thought Chee did well in this aspect.

Plus the spat with Chiam which cost the whole SDP. Ling was the publicity head of the pack and even Chee and Cheo kept mostly quiet.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The allowance cannot be the motivation for the opposition. The risk/return equation is so bad that it is not worth the trouble. For the PAP, there is well oiled machinary behind each candidate.

The allowance however can make a sitting MP in opposition complacent.

If the motivation in question is the allowance, why some question opposition motive but not PAP motive is also beyond me.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Couple of things

Aline Wong was the most successful of PAP MPs and she retired and did not contest after 1997 GE. Secondly, she was Minister of State and was never made a Minister.

A minister must be an elected MP. You must be referring to Seet Ai Mei who lost to Ling. She was acting minister and she never continued in that role.

Aline Wong also holds the distinction of being the first actual FT to be field as a PAP MP in 1984. She came from HK with her husband. She was not born or raised here and has little knowledge of the country or its people. She was the bait for drawing HongKonkers which of course failed.

Under our Constituition, Mr Mah can continue to stay on as Minister Mah even if he loses the election. There is no requirement that a Minister must be an elected MP. This happened in the case of Minister Aline Wong who stayed on as Minister after she lost the election. Hence if the PAP thinks that he is a rare talent, they should appoint Mr Mah to become Minister Mah so that he can continue to implement their housing policy.

As this can be quite embarassing, I think it will be magnanimous if Goh Meng Seng suggests this to the PAP if he contests and wins in Tampines.

Another consideration also is that if Mr Mah is the best loser, he will actually be offered an NMP position. A lot has been debated about opposition politicians taking up the NMP poisiton. I wonder if any PAP politicians who lose will take up this position so that that they can continue to be in Parliament.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, NMP can be appointed a cabinet minister or can even become a PM.

For those with long memories, how did they do it for Minister Aline Wong? I remember she carried on being a Minister for quite a bit after she lost the election.

Also the Act does not mentioned NMPs. Can a PAP NMP be appointed as a Minsiter?

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
A minister must be an elected MP. You must be referring to Seet Ai Mei who lost to Ling. She was acting minister and she never continued in that role.

Sorry my bad. I was referring to Seet Ai Mei. After they fall from power, PAP Ministers become nobodies and it is easy to mix them up.

Ok ... so we don't actually have an incident of a defeated Minister carrying on in their Minister role. The NMP loophole is interesting. Could the PAP have made those amendments so that they have a backdoor to bring in "talents" defeated in an election?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry my bad. I was referring to Seet Ai Mei. After they fall from power, PAP Ministers become nobodies and it is easy to mix them up.

Ok ... so we don't actually have an incident of a defeated Minister carrying on in their Minister role. The NMP loophole is interesting. Could the PAP have made those amendments so that they have a backdoor to bring in "talents" defeated in an election?

It's very impossible for freak results to happen because many opposition are not interested in doing walkabouts to let the residents know who they working for. The PAP do not need to do as much because they already have the groundwork but still they do their walkabouts to consolidate ground. For the opposition, they do everything quite last minute because they don't want PAP to know which constituency they wish to fight in. We can think of all the hypothetical situations but eventually each and every voter holds the vote, not us individually, and the opposition need to work harder than norm to win voters over.

Right now everyone knows which MP in their constituency, but are not really sure which opposition are going to be fighting in their ward.