• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United Season 2009-10

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
sorry...no matter how hard i try, i just don't see anderson in schole's role. his passing is not top notch, his shooting sucks, he is too short to win balls in the air, he is not robust to act as DM (sorry maybe he is not meant to be DM). Scholes is AM...perhaps if and only if Man U buys another striker, rooney can drop to AM...but if budget is a constraint which i believe so, a striker is not priority for next season.

Darron Gibson seems more in Scholes role - ie his long shots. But his passing is doubtful.

About Youth Academy, it is not really that the players are not good but rather they don't have now the luxury of matches to prove themselves perhaps only if there is an injury here and there. Otherwise, given the highly competitive nature - the managers won't risk them - we see only flashes of Fabio, Chester guy and Pussybon (before he is wrecked by injury) in Micky Mouse cup matches....otherwise, none...is it bcos they sucks ...maybe not, becos u really need the League matches to grind out skills. Thats why when they went over to the lower teams, they walk into their first team and can put up credible performance. think - Eagles, Shawcross.

Problem with Anderson is his attitude and consistency. Come X'mas holidays, it just goes bad. Like the other Brazilian team mates, they want to spend X'mas with their love ones back home. I guess we've all heard Fergie calling for a X'mas break.

D. Gibson is highly inconsistent and unpredictable. On a good day,he'll produce the most spectacular shots and on others you'll have to widen the goal posts. He's got a lot of work ahead of him and he can certainly improve if Fergie plays him regularly.

On the issue of youth academy, I stand corrected-the players are not good enough to play for Man. Utd. If they're good, the boss will let them thru'-think D. Fletcher.:smile:

jw5

Loyal
Read somewhere that he didn't want to blur his vision and that was the excuse for the umbrella He brought fresh ideas to the way MU played and like Brian Kidd and Queiroz after him. he was tipped to succeed Fergie. Compared to Queiroz and Kidd, the guy had some degree of 'success' at club level.
I agree that McClaren is a good coach with good ideas, but I just don't like him.
There can be plenty of excuses for carrying an umbrella, but the most important thing is how it looks to the players out there. Another thing I don't like about him is the way he talks to the media, always trying to rationalise things, giving excuses, evading questions etc. He should learn from Roy Hodgson or Pep Guardiola.

Fergie has already identified Macheda, Welbeck, Jonny Evans, Gibson, Oberton, the Da Silva twins as young players with potential. I am particularly pleased with Evans, he has improved tremendously, and he is very close to taking over from either Vidic or Ferdinand in my opinion, both of whom seem to have gone backwards slightly.
Fergie has made mistakes in his sales as well. If he had not sold Shawcross and Pique, he would not have had to buy Smalling for 10 million pounds. Then again, to be fair to him, both players wanted to leave at that time, given their amount of playing time.

jw5

Loyal
sorry...no matter how hard i try, i just don't see anderson in schole's role. his passing is not top notch, his shooting sucks, he is too short to win balls in the air, he is not robust to act as DM (sorry maybe he is not meant to be DM). Scholes is AM...perhaps if and only if Man U buys another striker, rooney can drop to AM...but if budget is a constraint which i believe so, a striker is not priority for next season.

Darron Gibson seems more in Scholes role - ie his long shots. But his passing is doubtful.

About Youth Academy, it is not really that the players are not good but rather they don't have now the luxury of matches to prove themselves perhaps only if there is an injury here and there. Otherwise, given the highly competitive nature - the managers won't risk them - we see only flashes of Fabio, Chester guy and Pussybon (before he is wrecked by injury) in Micky Mouse cup matches....otherwise, none...is it bcos they sucks ...maybe not, becos u really need the League matches to grind out skills. Thats why when they went over to the lower teams, they walk into their first team and can put up credible performance. think - Eagles, Shawcross.
Anderson has a long way to go before he can think about taking over from Scholes. Then again, he is young, don't think he is 21 yet even.
What happened to Rodrigo Possebon? Haven't heard about him for a long time, was he sold to another club or is he out injured?

LauMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=121663&cc=4716

Rodrigo Possebon Bio
Brazilian midfielder Possebon was snapped up by Manchester United in January 2008, with his father's Italian links preventing the need for a passport.
He moved to the Premier League from Sporting Club Internacional in his homeland.

Possebon is described as a box-to-box midfielder who has a great engine.

The player was thrust into first team action at the start of the 2008/09 season, making his debut as a 63rd minute replacement for Ryan Giggs in a 1-1 draw at home to Newcastle United.

'Rodrigo is a tall, elegant midfielder who fits into the idea of a modern footballer,' reserve team boss Brian McClair told the Manchester Evening News. 'He has very good ability and is a steady box-to-box player rather than your silky tricky midfielder.

'Our scout in Brazil, John Calvert-Toulmin, who recommended our Brazilian full-back twins Fabio and Rafael Silva, spotted Rodrigo and we've been impressed.'

The player's performances with the first team on their pre-season travels earned him a first team break.

He was loaned to Portuguese side Braga for the season in July 2009.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
SAF mentioned that he may sell two players this summer to 'freshen the squad'.

Who are the two SAF has in mind or who would you rather like to see leave OT? Please share.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Who are the two SAF has in mind or who would you rather like to see leave OT? Please share.

There's no such thing as "freshen the squad" by just selling two players, unless they're vital organs of the squad like Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes or Edwin Van Der Sar. Anyway, these are all past due. The more important thing is, who're the players to replace them.

jw5

Loyal

I think there are 3 in Fergie's mind:
Ben Foster, Michael Carrick and Dimitar Berbatov
As to whether they will really leave, it will depend on whether they get reasonable money for them and whether they can get suitable replacements.
In my opinion, they can all go provided they get suitable replacements.
A top class keeper to eventually replace VDS, a creative midfielder to replace Scholes and Carrick's role, and a striker who can get goals. If there are no replacements they should all stay.
But if they can get more than 15 million pounds for Carrick and more than 20 million pounds for Berbatov, they can leave even if there are no replacements.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
As to whether they will really leave, it will depend on whether they get
But if they can get more than 15 million pounds for Carrick and more than 20 million pounds for Berbatov, they can leave even if there are no replacements.

as a spurs fan, can we counter-offer 10million for berbatov? carrick no need lah. we have better midfielders already.:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
as a spurs fan, can we counter-offer 10million for berbatov? carrick no need lah. we have better midfielders already.:biggrin:
You can have Berbatov for 10 million pounds and Luka Modric.
You can have Carrick for Gareth Bale.
Are you the one who detests Tonychat?
If you are, you are a mate, even though you support Spurs. Hehehe. :smile:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's no such thing as "freshen the squad" by just selling two players, unless they're vital organs of the squad like Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes or Edwin Van Der Sar. Anyway, these are all past due. The more important thing is, who're the players to replace them.

I think what the old fart meant was with the current way they're playing is rather 'stale'. He will keep the core group of players until the new manager takes over which could be the season after next. Surely the succession issue has to be addressed by then.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
As to whether they will really leave, it will depend on whether they get reasonable money for them and whether they can get suitable replacements.
In my opinion, they can all go provided they get suitable replacements.
A top class keeper to eventually replace VDS, a creative midfielder to replace Scholes and Carrick's role, and a striker who can get goals. If there are no replacements they should all stay.

If reports are true that Fergie has target Modric in the summer, then I suspect Vidic may be sold. I honestly can't see a Serb and a Croat playing in the same team. I think the old fart is waiting for the silly money to come in from REAL. Madrid has serious problems at the centre of defence.
For the sake of the club and the player, it would be good if they sell or trade Berba for Pato or Huntelaar.

jw5

Loyal
If reports are true that Fergie has target Modric in the summer, then I suspect Vidic may be sold. I honestly can't see a Serb and a Croat playing in the same team. I think the old fart is waiting for the silly money to come in from REAL. Madrid has serious problems at the centre of defence.
For the sake of the club and the player, it would be good if they sell or trade Berba for Pato or Huntelaar.
It may be Berbatov for Huntelaar, because it appears that Chelsea are going to buy Pato, who is of course the much better and younger player.
I don't think politics matters that much, because it's $$$ that counts.
But I think Vidic will be sold, even though he has just claimed again that he is happy at the club.
He has only 2 years of his current contract left, and even if he wants to sign an extension, his wife probably won't let him. The club won't want him to leave for nothing after 2 years.
It will be interesting whether Fergie replaces him with someone else if he leaves, or goes with Evans, Smalling and Ferdinand.

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
hkimn-logo.png

To finished only finished 1pt behind Chelski
when the Red Devils lost £105m of talent last summer,
i think is still a commendable achievement.
Chelski might have won the league,
but the future is still Bright
in the Theater of Dreams!!

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the best team wins - nothing to be said. A team who can hammer teams 7-0 three times deserve to be winners. No questions about it.

Man U for whatever reasons simply did not perform this season. They can blame injuries but ultimately, injury is a problem facing all teams - its a business risk per say.

Compared to the biggest disappointment - Liverpool, Man U has done well - post-Ronaldo era. Moving on, they need to buy, no other way. But like Fergie said, all teams are buying and they are big spenders. Chelsea will buy to replace their ageing players - they are turning into senior-citizen club already.

Berbatov looks like on his way out - even at a loss - Fergie's face show he has given up on him although he did show brillance yesterday - making an assist for Gigg's goal but he missed two headers.

A brief review of the players - VDS looks good but as all knows, he needs replacement. For defenders - I rather they sell Ferdinand than Vidic bcos at least Vidic is not as prone to injuries. Midfielders - yes, Carrick seems to have faded. Same as Anderson. I would have Park to be sold too - but after he scored that important goal against Liverpool, he has scored brownie points to stay. Nani thank goodness, have salvaged himself with promising performance, I hope to see more of him. Imagine the terror to be unleashed, Nani on left, Valencia on right - both speed...wow....

Forwards - interesting proposition - actually despite Rooney's call for firepower, I won't be surprised if there is none. Fergie already said, he has young talents that he will use - Macheda, Welbeck (although I think he is not good enough), Diouf and Hernanadez...so, even if Berba is sold, i doubt he will bring in (as there is a more urgent need for a midfielder & goalie).

T

Tadakatsu Honda

Fergie questions Man U failure

May 10, 2010

<!-- by line --> <!-- end by line --> MANCHESTER - MANCHESTER United's failure to win an unprecedented fourth straight Premier League title has left manager Alex Ferguson questioning whether the squad was strong enough following Cristiano Ronaldo's departure, or if tactical mistakes were made during the season.
United's three-year reign as champions ended on Sunday despite beating Stoke 4-0, as Chelsea staying a point ahead by routing Wigan 8-0.

All Ferguson has to show for his 24th season in charge is the League Cup - won in March by beating Aston Villa - after losing to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals and being stunned by third-tier club Leeds in the FA Cup in January. 'Did I always make the right team selections with the appropriate tactics? Do we have a strong enough squad?' Ferguson said in a rare moment of introspection.

'I have to weigh up whether to move into the transfer market, considering our own youth development and the players we have. It's an assessment that has to be set against injuries, bad luck and of course the fact that there is a harder competitive edge in the Premier League these days. It's a tough old league, very unforgiving, and a lot of the teams at the top have lost games they expected to win.'

One of the most costly of United's seven losses turned out to be their third match at Burnley, which survived just one season in the Premier League. Ferguson is still angry about the 1-0 loss at Chelsea in November, when John Terry headed home from a free-kick the United manger still argues shouldn't have been given. 'That's maybe swung the whole title around if you think about it,' Ferguson said.

United managed to finish second despite reinvesting barely a quarter of the 80 million pounds (S$163 million) Real Madrid paid for Cristiano Ronaldo last June, while neighbour Manchester City finished fifth despite splurging more than 200 million pounds. Winger Antonio Valencia was the only recruit to play consistently well, with Michael Owen enduring an injury-restricted campaign after signing on a free transfer and winger Gabriel Obertan still yet to fully develop. --AP

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
the best team wins - nothing to be said. A team who can hammer teams 7-0 three times deserve to be winners. No questions about it.

Man U for whatever ...................................

I dun think Man U have the money to buy 'big name' players. There may be restrictions placed on spending from the recent capital raising exercise. Whether they tap other sources of funds remains to be seen but I really doubt it.

They will have to sell to buy new players.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Fergie questions Man U failure

May 10, 2010

<!-- by line --> <!-- end by line --> MANCHESTER - MANCHESTER United's failure to win an unprecedented fourth straight Premier League title has left manager Alex Ferguson questioning whether the squad was strong enough following Cristiano Ronaldo's departure, or if tactical mistakes were made during the season..........................

Definetely tactical BLUNDER!!!!!!!

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Definetely tactical BLUNDER!!!!!!!

No doubt about that.

This season not only MU loses CR7 and Tezev, Alex also sideline Park, Berbatov and Carrick from the start of the season and continue to do so regularly. There seems to be a huge shift towards wing play and total reliances on Rooney to knock in the goals.

Obviously, the form of those 3 drops and the support through the center seems to be totally disappeared. It's frustrating to watch MU this season.

:mad:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No doubt about that.

This season not only MU loses CR7 and Tezev, Alex also sideline Park, Berbatov and Carrick from the start of the season and continue to do so regularly. There seems to be a huge shift towards wing play and total reliances on Rooney to knock in the goals.

Obviously, the form of those 3 drops and the support through the center seems to be totally disappeared. It's frustrating to watch MU this season.

:mad:

the chief reason I believe was the shift of play (due to loss of CR7) and the rest of the team not being to link up / adapt to the new style.

Beginning with Rooney, with CR7, he play the supporting role or rather, with CR7 being the focus, he can do his work with relatively less attention, he was often in a attacking midfielder role back then. This season, he was expected to be target man and expect to haul goals. Fergie did sign Owen to partner him - but alas, that guy has been a part-time player for so long, it will take a while for him to get back into rhythm and moreover, he is often let down by his eighty-year old hamstrings.

Berbatov - since the day he arrive, his style of play has been form rather than brute -meaning he is like a ballerina, he does not want to charge and use brute force to get forward like Rooney- but rather he wants to show off his skills to flick a ball, make a delicate pass...but rest of the team does not seem to understand his style of play. Probably genna f by Fergie, in the last few games, he began put his body on the line - and charge forward - and to some effect. But the biggest biggest failure is - lack of goals. As a forward, his KPI is ultimately the number of goals he scored. I think he may end up like Forlan...sigh.

There are reasons i believe why Fergie sideline Carrick and Park. Carrick, when he first arrive, was excellent, he can make incisive and intelligent passing - which is why Fergie signed him in the first place. But subsequently, his standard dropped. Park - has no skills, has no build. He only has speed and he is hardworking. Thats about it. You can probably get by in a mid-level or lower tier club but at Man U, no. He has speed but if you cannot pass, its no use. One thing, he cannot dribble as well.

Park did score some goals but still i believe he is not good enough to be considered an important player. He will be one of the players out sooner or later - maybe when his jersey sales go down.

Looking at the remaining midfielders - there is really not much to choose from already...Anderson either have attitude problem or what - but in any case, I don't think he is good enough. Valencia is good and useful...Nani is improving - but he needs to be more consistent. Heagraves is akin to a sickpot - write off better. So, Fergie has to rely on Scholes and Giggs. Hopefully next season, Darren Gibson can step up more but i recall someone in the forum mentioned his passing is suspect. Fletcher will have also to stamp his authority in the midfielder more - think he can be a DM.

SAF needs a playmaker in midfielder i think....Nani and Valencia attacking flanks and waiting for Rooney or someone charging from midfield to score is only one way of attacking....

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SAF needs a playmaker in midfielder i think....Nani and Valencia attacking flanks and waiting for Rooney or someone charging from midfield to score is only one way of attacking....
Re-build on our existing strengths, and poach a playmaker indeed (akin to how the king Cantona took many MU games by the scruff o the collar). Yea, Berbi's all art but not suited to fast english pace zooming at 300kmh (and we do need more of his moments of brilliance which has been a rarity recently). Gibson's strong, but not quite there as he's like some big han-che (sweet potato).

All things said, we didn't do too shabby despite CR + Tevez loss, and injuries. Creditable -1pt behind the champs, and koyak 7 games (how deserving otherwise?!). That Bayern loss week was point of no return (share Fergie's woes).

Last edited: