• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

maid population in sg

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
so in sg, it's an ego issue? so much so that a cheap 3rd party needs to be hired from a poor village a few thousand miles away to toil for everyone, and everyone can bark egoistic and sadistic orders to the poor maid, including kids? unbelievable.

I think that you are in cali without a maid commenting on maids in singapore with this kind of comments, is really bullshit crap from you. I have had maids since I was borned, and I guarantee you we weren't top 20% household or rich or anything like that. Both my parents work, especially my father who worked long hours. The maid helped with alot, and was supervised by my grandmother. SHe was like family to us, and she stayed with us for over 10 years. Not everyone barked egoistic and sadistic orders to maids, so don't be an asshole with these kinds of comments. AFter my first maid retired, we had many maids after her. SOme stole from us, some were great, some were bad. That's life. People who mistreat their maids, and from what I can see from my friends who also have maids, are a minority. If you are entrusting your most precious possessions to your maid (i.e. your children), you will be an idiot to abuse a maid into hating you. But if you don't have a maid, you will not understand any of this. I suggest you cease and desist your posts. Theyare akin to a virgin commenting on various sexual positions.

P.S. By the way, as kids, we address our maids as "aunty" or "older sister". This is a requirement of our parents. We do not raise our voice to them, its the same as raising our voice to our parents. If we are caught, whacking is the penalty. I don't know about other families treatments of their maids, nor do I care. I do care that you take a few examples, and paint everyone with the same brush.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By the way, as kids, we address our maids as "aunty" or "older sister". This is a requirement of our parents. We do not raise our voice to them, its the same as raising our voice to our parents. If we are caught, whacking is the penalty. I don't know about other families treatments of their maids, nor do I care. I do care that you take a few examples, and paint everyone with the same brush.

by the way, your individual and family experience with maids does not in anyway represent all cases of maid treatment in sg. you're using your own case to paint everyone with the same brush. nuff said.

hillary888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope the relevant authorities has drawn-up specific areas for them to congregate as the compulsory weekly day-off kicks-in next year. To minimize potential social impacts.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
AS I have mentioned, the costs of maids here is so low and the labour hours they work is so high that just hiring a maid for your household is no indication of whether u are suffering or not

bro,
in this case, me think me could be wrong to correlate household income to the number of maids per household. probably a higher portion of the middle class hiring more maids can be observed since it is more cost effective.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
See what I mean, opposition supporters? You're fighting an uphill battle against the conspicuous displays of wealth in this tiny tax haven. The 60% are easily beguiled by the glitter of a rent-seeking, parasitic economy. How are you gonna convince them that Singapore is crumbling under the mismanagement of the PAPzis when all they hear are the throttle sounds of Lamborghinis and Ferraris?

Haha, cool observation.

I'm not pro-oppo, nor anti-PAP. I only have a soft-spot for the underdog. Pro-working class though.

Cheers!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro,
in this case, me think me could be wrong to correlate household income to the number of maids per household. probably a higher portion of the middle class hiring more maids can be observed since it is more cost effective.

his argument is invalid because if the cost of having a maid is so low in sg (sgd350 as he claims), everyone with long hours would be having a maid in sg. that's what he's implying, and it's totally bogus. it's more correlated to number of households with kids and a higher combined household income. moreover, levies may escalate depending on increasing number of permits issued. otherwise, there would be 1 million maids in sg. :rolleyes:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that you are in cali without a maid commenting on maids in singapore with this kind of comments, is really bullshit crap from you. I have had maids since I was borned, and I guarantee you we weren't top 20% household or rich or anything like that. Both my parents work, especially my father who worked long hours. The maid helped with alot, and was supervised by my grandmother. SHe was like family to us, and she stayed with us for over 10 years. Not everyone barked egoistic and sadistic orders to maids, so don't be an asshole with these kinds of comments. AFter my first maid retired, we had many maids after her. SOme stole from us, some were great, some were bad. That's life. People who mistreat their maids, and from what I can see from my friends who also have maids, are a minority. If you are entrusting your most precious possessions to your maid (i.e. your children), you will be an idiot to abuse a maid into hating you. But if you don't have a maid, you will not any of this. I suggest you cease and desist your posts. Theyare akin to a virgin commenting on various sexual positions.

P.S. By the way, as kids, we address our maids as "aunty" or "older sister". This is a requirement of our parents. We do not raise our voice to them, its the same as raising our voice to our parents. If we are caught, whacking is the penalty. I don't know about other families treatments of their maids, nor do I care. I do care that you take a few examples, and paint everyone with the same brush.

sam and his clones have lost touch with reality. seems like lately, he's been replaced by some straight-out-of-school scholar-wannabe type.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sam and his clones have lost touch with reality. seems like lately, he's been replaced by some straight-out-of-school scholar-wannabe type.

both you and the smearer can take your name calling and emotions somewhere else if you're not here for a serious debate.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
bro,

In my personal observations, its mostly middle class that hire 1 maid, upper class always have the ability to hire more than 1 maid. Also, when u look at the employers of maids you will notice another stat that is not obvious to the thread starter. A much higher proportion of angmo or expat families hire maids than sinkies. That's again from my observation. The expat friends I know, even though the wife is not working, will still higher maids. They consider this as a perk to living here, because when they return, they will not be able to afford maids in their home countries. If you look at 10 expat families, maybe 8 or 9 have maids, the ratio is probably lower for a native singaporean middle class family. Therefore, when the thread starter mentioned 200,000 maids working in singapore, and given the recent huge influx of white collar and professional FTs, you have to ask how many percent of these maids are working for non singaporean expat families.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
by the way, your individual and family experience with maids does not in anyway represent all cases of maid treatment in sg. you're using your own case to paint everyone with the same brush. nuff said.

At least I have individual and family experience with maids IN SINGAPORE, that is why I comment on this thread. You on the other hand ARE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA WITH ZERO EXPERIENCE IN MAIDS, and u presume to tell me what is and what is not representative treatment of maids in singapore? Like I said, u are like a virgin teaching a sex class. Everything u spout out is from what u read and theoretical.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
it's more correlated to number of households with kids and a higher combined household income.

looking at the TFR, seems like folks from the higher income bracket are having less kids compared to the folks in the middle class, but your observation still hold water, middle income folks earning around SGD4.5K for household income on average, should be sufficient to engage a helper.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Really, u think eatshitndie is a sam clone? I don't think so, I think he really is in california, in the bay area somewhere. He wishes he could hire a maid, even if she is an illegal wetback mexican, but he can't afford it. SO, he just comes here and start a thread saying sinkies are not suffering because they hire so many maids, and they bark sadistic and egoistic orders to their maids. Probably that was how he was treated when he arrived in cali looking for work with a strange accent and speaking singlish.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
If you look at 10 expat families, maybe 8 or 9 have maids, the ratio is probably lower for a native singaporean middle class family.

plausible, was jogging at Bedok Reservoir the other morning and noticed 3 ladies from PRC, kiddos in tow and there were 3 Indon maids pushing the prams.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maid about 5% sg population. Every 20 person there will be one maid.
I think is the largest group worker.
SG citizen population only 2.5 million. Meaning almost every 3 family will have one maid.
Maid more than NSmen.