• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lose Your Job or Go to Changi Prison?

Changi Prison or New Job?

• Hold on to current job until you really really cannot tahan!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just quit before you get into trouble. Concentrate on getting published.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MisterGuard

Alfrescian
Loyal
"If you think you cannot take it, it is better to resign. Many jobs in security nowadays. Don't try to hold on to just this one and then one day you cannot tahan and punch some asshole and lose your license. Maybe even go to Changi Prison. Once that happens, you cannot be a security guard for the rest of your life."

That was what an older colleague at a shopping mall told me. We just had a new supervisor back then and he enjoyed making fun of my appearance via the walkie-talkie network. Everyone could hear him, including the mall management. I was rather upset about it but nobody seemed to be willing to do anything about it. So I had a talk with my senior at work and confessed that sometimes, I felt like punching the asshole who took pride in humiliating me in public.

His advice, see above, seemed rather drastic to me at the time. Why should I quit a job just because of one asshole? But then as one stressful situation after another started piling up on top of me, I started feeling afraid. Because the anger rose to near unmanageable level and I felt certain that very soon, I would throw the first punch. If that happened, my colleague's comment about Changi Prison will become a prophecy.

So I resigned. And easily found another assignment that paid the same rate. I had to deal with the three weeks downtime though but, in the long run, that seemed worthwhile. I am still a security guard and not in Changi Prison doing time for chain-punching an asshole in the face.

Now, I am facing the same dilemma. I am currently working as a school guard and facing more than just one asshole. You can read the stories at my blog. And on some bad days, I could feel my anger rising to near unmanageable level. Just one wrong word said at the wrong time, or a scolding delivered after a stressful encounter with some monster parent. And I might have a meltdown.

So once again, I am considering leaving this assignment to find a new one. Or maybe I should just concentrate on getting my book published before I find a new full-time job?