• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lor Mee stall FT dunno what Lor Mee is! (Must explain Ru Mian)

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A few has already suggested that lack of training is one of the causes. Frankly, the onus is really on the employer to provide that training. Manning a stall in food court, you would expect the owner to at least teach them the proper names of the few dishes they sell.

I view FTs quite differently from you. Importing FTs for such jobs are a definite no-no for me. I would rather the operators pay their staff the going rate and charge the consumers accordingly. Importing of FTs should be reserved for skills that we are short of.

I returned to Singapore earlier this week after being away for 4 years. The number of FTs is not as high as I expected from reading in this forum. One annoyance though, was eating 马灯木打马 at a roti prata stall.

Malaysians have been serving in local restaurants for as long as I can remember. So, I assume there is a real challenge in recruiting local staff for them. But a roti prata stall?

On the bright side, I was dining at The Prime Society and was served by 3 different Singaporeans. Not a FT was in sight amongst the service staff. All 3 looked pretty young (A levels or University students) and were not experienced servers, but I left an additional 10% tip on top of the service charge.

Perhaps, if the economy tanked further, we'll have more of these people available to the F&B operators.

where is the prime society???

So ur hoping the economy tanks further so that more sinkees will accept traditional low paying jobs so u can get service from them???

How was their service? U said they were new.

I guess u guys would communicate in english.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
where is the prime society???

So ur hoping the economy tanks further so that more sinkees will accept traditional low paying jobs so u can get service from them???

How was their service? U said they were new.

I guess u guys would communicate in english.
Prime Society is a steak place in Dempsey. I am still getting used to the weather and went in with t-shirt, bermudas and sandals. Service was just okay for the price they are charging. Definitely does not warrant a 20% tip. However, I find it heartening that young Singaporeans are actually working.

Sometimes I think Singaporeans need a jolt of reality. There is some truth to Singaporeans being picky. Driving buses, waiting tables, collecting garbage etc are all decent jobs. It is not to be looked down upon. Do I wish for economy to tank further? Maybe for the greater good, yes. However, companies need to do their part and pay accordingly, and the government need to stop issuing work permits so easily.

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTF
You kenna PRC making Murtabak?
Wah lao, at least I thought roti prata and murtabak are still immune to PRC invasion because they require unique skills.

I also think Sinkies not that picky. They picky because driving bus, waiting tables, etc. pay so low that is boh hwa to work. Unlike foreigners with entire families abroad living cheaply, sinkies have to pay local prices for everything, including their pigeon holes.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Prime Society is a steak place in Dempsey. I am still getting used to the weather and went in with t-shirt, bermudas and sandals. Service was just okay for the price they are charging. Definitely does not warrant a 20% tip. However, I find it heartening that young Singaporeans are actually working.

Sometimes I think Singaporeans need a jolt of reality. There is some truth to Singaporeans being picky. Driving buses, waiting tables, collecting garbage etc are all decent jobs. It is not to be looked down upon. Do I wish for economy to tank further? Maybe for the greater good, yes. However, companies need to do their part and pay accordingly, and the government need to stop issuing work permits so easily.

To a sinkie, decent job means the amount of pay involved with it has to be decent too. If throwing garbage can fetch $2500 a month, then it will be considered decent.

With a country run by a sinkie govt, this sort of REAL first world understanding is totally foreign to them.

You do not need so much foreigners coming in if they know how to run a country properly.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

of course those sort of jobs will pay peanuts a sinkee won't take them up cos it's pointless.

Forget about companies or the govt changing anything.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am a restaurant owner. I have attracted a lot of criticism but I must tell the truth for Singaporean's sake.

Singaporean workers not willing to work hard and have attitude even if I pay more. Little bit MC, then say waiter cannot do kitchen work and kitchen help cannot collect cash. 10 hours means after 9 hour 45 mins go wash face, pang jio, put on makeup.

PRC and Burmese listen to instructions, take initiative and are grateful for the job.

Of course these are low end jobs between $900 and $1,300. I provide food and lodging so they can save almost the full amount. They spend very little, such as during rest day when they take bus to Botanic Gardens or beach to picnic, and on phone cards to call home

Agree with you Singaporean very choosy and complaint a lots like long working hour/distance very far/only do specific job others than job scope wouldn't do. If can front line employ Malaysia with are almost same culture and behind the wall employ all PRC/Thai/Vietnam.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTF
You kenna PRC making Murtabak?
Wah lao, at least I thought roti prata and murtabak are still immune to PRC invasion because they require unique skills.

I also think Sinkies not that picky. They picky because driving bus, waiting tables, etc. pay so low that is boh hwa to work. Unlike foreigners with entire families abroad living cheaply, sinkies have to pay local prices for everything, including their pigeon holes.
Luckily, the PRC was just taking orders ...

I was pissed off and walked over to the prata man and repeated my order.

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Luckily, the PRC was just taking orders ...

I was pissed off and walked over to the prata man and repeated my order.

If PRC can learn to make murtabak, then what for prataman in Istana?

Some more LKY has made it clear he wants to por PRC's lampar already. That Hakka-baba Anglophile now desperate to get his kids all to learn Mandarin. Lose money in Suzhou still throw more money to please Beijing.

We may as well get one PRC from China, cheap cheap one, highly connected in the Chinese Communist Party. We pay this FT from China prices, 200k RMB/year to be our President. He sure damn happy, damn xiao on, because this is very high pay by China standards. And we still get to save 99% on prataman's salary.

OK?

miosux

Alfrescian
Loyal

spot on! tell our ministers their pay cut to $2500 per month... see if they picky or not.