• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 4

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I am now told must 14day in hotel when returning. But free if you left sinkiealnd before mar 27

Yes a very learned friend of mine did just that. Everything involved with her SHN in a hotel was covered, including her taxi ride from the checkpoint.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
1635642254293.png

1st, raise mm2h qualification criteria. Now proposing to tax income sourced from foreign countries.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those of you who have stashed your hard earned money overseas, please read the attached very carefully. In a nut shell, when you repatriate your money back to Malaysia, it will be subject to tax; 3% from January 1st, and 24% from July next year. It's still unclear but money coming back will be taxed.

Foreign-sourced income taxed upon remittance into Malaysia Currently, income of any person (other than a resident company carrying on the business of banking, insurance or sea or air transport) derived from sources outside Malaysia and received in Malaysia (“foreign-sourced income”), is exempted from income tax under Paragraph 28 of Schedule 6, Income Tax Act 1967 (ITA 1967). It is proposed that with effect from 1 January 2022, the exemption of foreign-sourced income received in Malaysia is only applicable to a person who is a non-resident. This means that foreign-sourced income of Malaysian tax residents which is received in Malaysia will be subject to tax. Additional information from the Finance Bill ●The taxation of foreign-sourced income is applicable to all tax residents. This will include both companies and individuals. ●The scope of income to be taxed covers all classes of income whether from business, salaries or passive income (e.g. dividends, interest, royalties, etc) ●There will be a transitional period from 1 January 2022 to 30 June 2022 where foreign-sourced income remitted to Malaysia will be taxed at the rate of 3% on gross income. ●From 1 July 2022, any foreign-sourced income remitted to Malaysia will be subject to tax at the chargeable income level at the prevailing tax rate, i.e. 24% for resident companies, 17% on the first RM600,000 chargeable income for micro, small and medium enterprises (as defined), and 0% to 30% for resident individuals. (Effective from 1 January 2022) Comment: ●The transitional tax rate at 3% appears to be a cooling-off measure to encourage taxpayers to remit their foreign income to Malaysia before the prevailing tax rates on chargeable income are imposed from 1 July 2022 onwards. Applying a 3% tax rate to the gross income level provides taxpayers with a simplified way of computing the tax and arguably, this lower rate effectively recognises related expenses. ●It is unclear whether the foreign income which is remitted during the transitional period (taxed at 3% gross) will form part of the chargeable income for the determination of the RM100 million threshold for Cukai Makmur. Further clarification is required from the authorities. ●The provisions of the Finance Bill cast a wide net on the taxation of foreign-sourced income as all classes of income earned by all tax residents are covered. Some questions remain on whether specific exemptions will be considered by the Government by way of subsidiary legislation (ministerial exemption orders). ●It should be noted that only remittance which is income in nature is subject to tax. Capital gains remitted are not subject to income tax. ●Other implementation issues which may arise include the identification of the income portion of remitted funds (e.g. interest, salary, dividends, etc) and the capital / principal portion. There are also foreign exchange differences to be accounted for. As these issues generally compound over time, it is hoped that these issues will be addressed by the authorities at an early date.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I got two bus tickets from SG to JB, this Friday for VTL travel. If you or anyone who is your relative or good friends need please let me know. Free, no charge. This Friday for 1pm from Queen Street to Larkin.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand with current VTL, all returnees/visitors must do ART tests (self & at clinic) from Days 2 to 6. Is there a daily time to complete and upload the test? Must we do this before going out to jalan jalan or can do the test anytime during the day? Thanks

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Can do and schedule a test with the Mysafetravel guys who can come to your place to do it, its about 69 RM (i kid you not) per person. Stay safe.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
With border reopening on 1 April (no joke), will JB comes alive again? Will this forum wakes up again?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
For those with the mysajehtera app, if you have any issues with it, you can change it to your NRIC to register rather than passport.
April 1-7th, no additional VEP charges. There are no more mandatory travel insurance especially for those fully vaccinated and using
the land border. These are to the best of my knowledge, i may be wrong. Hoping all who are going in stay safe and well.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...reans-return-to-homes-in-jb-after-two-years-0

JOHOR BARU - When Singaporean Mohamad Japa Rusdi went to his Horizon Hills weekend home across the border on Saturday (April 16) after a two-year break, dead cockroaches littered the floor and the furniture was in total ruin.

Sure, he expected the landed home he has owned for seven years in Johor Baru (JB) to be in a state of disarray after the Covid-19 pandemic put an end to his weekly visits.

But he was not prepared for what he saw.

Mr Japa, 55, said: "There were dead cockroaches all over the floor, lizards and their droppings. Overgrown plants, taller than me, and all my cushions and sofas and fabric have been ruined beyond saving by mould.

"The electricity was also out, and my fridge and washing machine had to be thrown away."

Some of the other Singaporeans who own properties in Malaysia just want to sell their weekend homes because of all the inconvenience, he said, but not him.

In Horizon Hills, there are many derelict houses that are believed to belong to Singaporeans.

Mr Japa, who works in the construction sector, said he has no plans to sell his house because it is a good place for family and relatives to gather and relax on weekends.

He said: "This is a good house, I just have to clean and do it up properly again. And it's a double-gated community and people are friendly and helpful.

"Also, I think this house brings me luck."

When asked if he is worried about the borders closing again, should the pandemic suddenly take a turn for the worse, he said the current situation has given him hope.

"I don't think they'll close the borders again, because everybody is prepared now. The pandemic has taught the world how to handle crises." Mr Japa was greeted by the sight piles of dead leaves and overgrown plants in the garden.

Mr Japa is among the thousands of Singaporeans who crossed the Causeway into JB since Malaysian land borders reopened fully about two weeks ago on April 1.

Like several other Singaporeans The Straits Times spoke to, he owns a home in Horizon Hills, a township in JB popular with Singapore homebuyers.

Take, for instance, Mr Fazal Bahardeen, 58, who is chief executive of Singapore-based consultancy CrescentRating.

Since the borders between Singapore and Malaysia closed in March 2020, he has been living with his family in his house in the township.

Before the pandemic struck, daily trips to Singapore were the norm, but he has not been to the Republic since borders closed.

On Sunday, he travelled to Singapore and stayed for a night before returning to JB.

"It's been two years, and I've forgotten what it's like crossing the border," he said.

"The reopening is more than just about travelling in and out. It's really about the mental state and not feeling restricted, knowing that I can come and go anytime I want now." More On This Topic S'poreans make day trips to JB on first day of borders fully reopening Border reopening: Johor property players expect rentals to rebound

Mr Fazal is also the chief executive and founder of Halal Trip, an online platform for Muslim travellers.

When borders closed in 2020, he had two big worries on his mind.

The first was the seriousness of the virus, and whether he would survive it because he was in his 50s.

The second was whether his businesses would survive.

"It was difficult in the beginning because no one was sure how everything would operate, especially with everyone being unable to meet," he said.

"But we've all learnt since then to work remotely."

He said living in JB and working in Singapore is a dream come true for him because he gets the best of both worlds.

But he still sees Singapore as his true home.

Mr Fazal is especially excited about a laksa in Singapore, which he says is the best.

He said: "The food in Johor Baru is great, no question. But there's this special laksa at Geylang Serai near my office that is just the best."

Another Horizon Hills resident, Mr Wu Qi, 45, said he and his family made the commute to Singapore from JB for work and school before the pandemic.

The family of four had to return to Singapore when the borders closed because they had only a social visit pass in Malaysia, and would be breaking the law by overstaying if they did not leave.

Mr Wu, who works in the infocommunications technology sector, said: "It was a disaster for us.

"We have a place in Singapore, but it was being rented out, so we rented another place instead, thinking the whole situation wouldn't last more than a year. We also had businesses in Malaysia that were eventually shut down."

Mr Wu and his family returned to their home in Horizon Hills last Thursday, and have been cleaning it up.

Like in Mr Japa's house, mould had ruined the furniture and other things, and there were bird droppings everywhere.

None of that is going to stop his family from relocating back to Malaysia and resuming the daily commute to Singapore, he said.

His wife Chris Chua, 43, a housewife, said they chose to live in Malaysia because they felt it was more conducive for their son, 13, and daughter, nine.

She said: "Life here is more relaxed, and there's much more space than in Singapore. It's a happy place, and the kids love it. They said they don't want to go back to Singapore."

Mr Wu said he was overjoyed to be back to his home in Malaysia.

"It's a sense of relief and extreme happiness. Even though we were staying in a condominium in Singapore these past two years, it was still very noisy. Here we can do our own thing and there's no stress."

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...reans-return-to-homes-in-jb-after-two-years-0

JOHOR BARU - When Singaporean Mohamad Japa Rusdi went to his Horizon Hills weekend home across the border on Saturday (April 16) after a two-year break, dead cockroaches littered the floor and the furniture was in total ruin.

Sure, he expected the landed home he has owned for seven years in Johor Baru (JB) to be in a state of disarray after the Covid-19 pandemic put an end to his weekly visits.

But he was not prepared for what he saw.

Mr Japa, 55, said: "There were dead cockroaches all over the floor, lizards and their droppings. Overgrown plants, taller than me, and all my cushions and sofas and fabric have been ruined beyond saving by mould.

"The electricity was also out, and my fridge and washing machine had to be thrown away."

Some of the other Singaporeans who own properties in Malaysia just want to sell their weekend homes because of all the inconvenience, he said, but not him.

In Horizon Hills, there are many derelict houses that are believed to belong to Singaporeans.

Mr Japa, who works in the construction sector, said he has no plans to sell his house because it is a good place for family and relatives to gather and relax on weekends.

He said: "This is a good house, I just have to clean and do it up properly again. And it's a double-gated community and people are friendly and helpful.

"Also, I think this house brings me luck."

When asked if he is worried about the borders closing again, should the pandemic suddenly take a turn for the worse, he said the current situation has given him hope.

"I don't think they'll close the borders again, because everybody is prepared now. The pandemic has taught the world how to handle crises." Mr Japa was greeted by the sight piles of dead leaves and overgrown plants in the garden.

Mr Japa is among the thousands of Singaporeans who crossed the Causeway into JB since Malaysian land borders reopened fully about two weeks ago on April 1.

Like several other Singaporeans The Straits Times spoke to, he owns a home in Horizon Hills, a township in JB popular with Singapore homebuyers.

Take, for instance, Mr Fazal Bahardeen, 58, who is chief executive of Singapore-based consultancy CrescentRating.

Since the borders between Singapore and Malaysia closed in March 2020, he has been living with his family in his house in the township.

Before the pandemic struck, daily trips to Singapore were the norm, but he has not been to the Republic since borders closed.

On Sunday, he travelled to Singapore and stayed for a night before returning to JB.

"It's been two years, and I've forgotten what it's like crossing the border," he said.

"The reopening is more than just about travelling in and out. It's really about the mental state and not feeling restricted, knowing that I can come and go anytime I want now." More On This Topic S'poreans make day trips to JB on first day of borders fully reopening Border reopening: Johor property players expect rentals to rebound

Mr Fazal is also the chief executive and founder of Halal Trip, an online platform for Muslim travellers.

When borders closed in 2020, he had two big worries on his mind.

The first was the seriousness of the virus, and whether he would survive it because he was in his 50s.

The second was whether his businesses would survive.

"It was difficult in the beginning because no one was sure how everything would operate, especially with everyone being unable to meet," he said.

"But we've all learnt since then to work remotely."

He said living in JB and working in Singapore is a dream come true for him because he gets the best of both worlds.

But he still sees Singapore as his true home.

Mr Fazal is especially excited about a laksa in Singapore, which he says is the best.

He said: "The food in Johor Baru is great, no question. But there's this special laksa at Geylang Serai near my office that is just the best."

Another Horizon Hills resident, Mr Wu Qi, 45, said he and his family made the commute to Singapore from JB for work and school before the pandemic.

The family of four had to return to Singapore when the borders closed because they had only a social visit pass in Malaysia, and would be breaking the law by overstaying if they did not leave.

Mr Wu, who works in the infocommunications technology sector, said: "It was a disaster for us.

"We have a place in Singapore, but it was being rented out, so we rented another place instead, thinking the whole situation wouldn't last more than a year. We also had businesses in Malaysia that were eventually shut down."

Mr Wu and his family returned to their home in Horizon Hills last Thursday, and have been cleaning it up.

Like in Mr Japa's house, mould had ruined the furniture and other things, and there were bird droppings everywhere.

None of that is going to stop his family from relocating back to Malaysia and resuming the daily commute to Singapore, he said.

His wife Chris Chua, 43, a housewife, said they chose to live in Malaysia because they felt it was more conducive for their son, 13, and daughter, nine.

She said: "Life here is more relaxed, and there's much more space than in Singapore. It's a happy place, and the kids love it. They said they don't want to go back to Singapore."

Mr Wu said he was overjoyed to be back to his home in Malaysia.

"It's a sense of relief and extreme happiness. Even though we were staying in a condominium in Singapore these past two years, it was still very noisy. Here we can do our own thing and there's no stress."
Bravo to Wuqi hope all works out for you

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Those of you who have stashed your hard earned money overseas, please read the attached very carefully. In a nut shell, when you repatriate your money back to Malaysia, it will be subject to tax; 3% from January 1st, and 24% from July next year. It's still unclear but money coming back will be taxed.

Foreign-sourced income taxed upon remittance into Malaysia Currently, income of any person (other than a resident company carrying on the business of banking, insurance or sea or air transport) derived from sources outside Malaysia and received in Malaysia (“foreign-sourced income”), is exempted from income tax under Paragraph 28 of Schedule 6, Income Tax Act 1967 (ITA 1967). It is proposed that with effect from 1 January 2022, the exemption of foreign-sourced income received in Malaysia is only applicable to a person who is a non-resident. This means that foreign-sourced income of Malaysian tax residents which is received in Malaysia will be subject to tax. Additional information from the Finance Bill ●The taxation of foreign-sourced income is applicable to all tax residents. This will include both companies and individuals. ●The scope of income to be taxed covers all classes of income whether from business, salaries or passive income (e.g. dividends, interest, royalties, etc) ●There will be a transitional period from 1 January 2022 to 30 June 2022 where foreign-sourced income remitted to Malaysia will be taxed at the rate of 3% on gross income. ●From 1 July 2022, any foreign-sourced income remitted to Malaysia will be subject to tax at the chargeable income level at the prevailing tax rate, i.e. 24% for resident companies, 17% on the first RM600,000 chargeable income for micro, small and medium enterprises (as defined), and 0% to 30% for resident individuals. (Effective from 1 January 2022) Comment: ●The transitional tax rate at 3% appears to be a cooling-off measure to encourage taxpayers to remit their foreign income to Malaysia before the prevailing tax rates on chargeable income are imposed from 1 July 2022 onwards. Applying a 3% tax rate to the gross income level provides taxpayers with a simplified way of computing the tax and arguably, this lower rate effectively recognises related expenses. ●It is unclear whether the foreign income which is remitted during the transitional period (taxed at 3% gross) will form part of the chargeable income for the determination of the RM100 million threshold for Cukai Makmur. Further clarification is required from the authorities. ●The provisions of the Finance Bill cast a wide net on the taxation of foreign-sourced income as all classes of income earned by all tax residents are covered. Some questions remain on whether specific exemptions will be considered by the Government by way of subsidiary legislation (ministerial exemption orders). ●It should be noted that only remittance which is income in nature is subject to tax. Capital gains remitted are not subject to income tax. ●Other implementation issues which may arise include the identification of the income portion of remitted funds (e.g. interest, salary, dividends, etc) and the capital / principal portion. There are also foreign exchange differences to be accounted for. As these issues generally compound over time, it is hoped that these issues will be addressed by the authorities at an early date.
No longer applicable as i understand.