• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You need to own a property to apply there. I am only renting.

Oh I see. I hope it works out for you somehow. Frankly I am concerned about this recent strictness and questioning about Singaporeans living in JB without long term permit. I will try to get MACS done for the rest of family and hope this will be a practical solution for the time being. Thanks for sharing.

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh I see. I hope it works out for you somehow. Frankly I am concerned about this recent strictness and questioning about Singaporeans living in JB without long term permit. I will try to get MACS done for the rest of family and hope this will be a practical solution for the time being. Thanks for sharing.

I have stayed in jb since 2011 and this is the first time they ever asked questions and refused my entry. If you have committed to properties in JB, you need a plan. Even macs may not be the solution as it requires renewal. They know a lot of people use macs to stay in JB.

Last edited:

sunriver

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have stayed in jb since 2011 and this is the first time they ever asked questions and refused my entry. If you have committed to properties in JB, you need a plan. Even macs may not be the solution as it requires renewal. They know a lot of people use macs to stay in JB.

I stayed in JB for a while before moving back to SG recently. Initially I stamped in/out but was told by customs officer a couple of times I'm not allowed to stay in JB permanently on a social visit pass. That really got me worried then. Then a 3rd officer told me to get a Macs card instead, which I did. Of course, Macs card is not a visa type and doesn't entitle me to stay in JB permanently. Although officer never explain why, I suspect the Macs system doesn't show full history of entry/exit. So maybe it lets the customs officer off the hook in terms of his responsibility to check for illegal immigrants. If they check your passport for in/out stamps, then by right they should stop you if they notice you are staying there permanently on social visit pass, otherwise they are negligent.

A few years ago, Thailand also clamped down on this type of visa runs at its borders by foreigners who did this to live there permanently. As I understand, Msia also clamped down recently on this at all border points except for JB. If they do so, then definitely affect property market there. Those who're living permanently in JB should apply for MM2H visa instead of risking being barred from entry.

Anyway it's a shitty situation to be in... if I can be of any help, you can reach out to me.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I stayed in JB for a while before moving back to SG recently. Initially I stamped in/out but was told by customs officer a couple of times I'm not allowed to stay in JB permanently on a social visit pass. That really got me worried then. Then a 3rd officer told me to get a Macs card instead, which I did. Of course, Macs card is not a visa type and doesn't entitle me to stay in JB permanently. Although officer never explain why, I suspect the Macs system doesn't show full history of entry/exit. So maybe it lets the customs officer off the hook in terms of his responsibility to check for illegal immigrants. If they check your passport for in/out stamps, then by right they should stop you if they notice you are staying there permanently on social visit pass, otherwise they are negligent.

A few years ago, Thailand also clamped down on this type of visa runs at its borders by foreigners who did this to live there permanently. As I understand, Msia also clamped down recently on this at all border points except for JB. If they do so, then definitely affect property market there. Those who're living permanently in JB should apply for MM2H visa instead of risking being barred from entry.

Anyway it's a shitty situation to be in... if I can be of any help, you can reach out to me.

Problem is that MM2H has financial requirements that I cannot meet, at least not in the foreseeable future.

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
I stayed in JB for a while before moving back to SG recently. Initially I stamped in/out but was told by customs officer a couple of times I'm not allowed to stay in JB permanently on a social visit pass. That really got me worried then. Then a 3rd officer told me to get a Macs card instead, which I did. Of course, Macs card is not a visa type and doesn't entitle me to stay in JB permanently. Although officer never explain why, I suspect the Macs system doesn't show full history of entry/exit. So maybe it lets the customs officer off the hook in terms of his responsibility to check for illegal immigrants. If they check your passport for in/out stamps, then by right they should stop you if they notice you are staying there permanently on social visit pass, otherwise they

Thanks a lot for your offer to assist and I am deeply appreciative. I can manage for now. I just hope I get my belongings back.

What made you decide to move back to singapore? Do you have property in JB?

I stayed in JB for close to 7.5 years already and I am also considering coming back.

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

You do own 2 houses in JB right so i believe the mm2h requirements should not be an issue right?

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
You do own 2 houses in JB right so i believe the mm2h requirements should not be an issue right?
It won't be easy to relocate back to Sg. Putting other considerationa aside, the new PH government is working on lowering the cost of living in M'sia. For the foreseeable future, Sg govt has already announced the increases to be phased in running right up to the next GE.

sunriver

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks a lot for your offer to assist and I am deeply appreciative. I can manage for now. I just hope I get my belongings back.

What made you decide to move back to singapore? Do you have property in JB?

I stayed in JB for close to 7.5 years already and I am also considering coming back.

Np, I find angmoh expats tend to help out with one another more so than overseas SGreans, which is something we can learn from.

I stayed in JB while waiting for my flat to be ready. I dun hv property in JB and was renting too. Funny thing is, after coming back here, I realised that I like living in JB/Msia more than here, and am thinking of going back there again one day but with MM2H visa. Maybe can even try Penang/KL one day. The main attraction of JB is that it's beside SG and I can pop over here easily.

kcwx35

Alfrescian
Loyal
What so you mean by no MACS counter in JB? I thought you can renew it in Iskandar office at Danga Bay?
Maybe you should try thirdlink in Singapore for those that do not have property in Malaysia. Although expensive, at least they are unable to check the stamps on your passport.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all. All these information is starting to worry me.
If the govt is truly going to clamp down on those who are staying in Johor as retirement without MM2H l then it looks like it's going to be a very serious factor to reconsider Singaporean retirement plans in Malaysia.

Any update is appreciated. Currently for those that has property in malaysia, what's the game plan?

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all. All these information is starting to worry me.
If the govt is truly going to clamp down on those who are staying in Johor as retirement without MM2H l then it looks like it's going to be a very serious factor to reconsider Singaporean retirement plans in Malaysia.

Any update is appreciated. Currently for those that has property in malaysia, what's the game plan?

For some perspective, I have stayed in JB since March 2011 and perhaps the total number of times i have NOT used macs(means go through the counter) total at least 200 or more times. I have never been asked what is a singaporean like me doing in JB.

The customs girl also told me singaporeans must be in singapore, not Malaysia. She also said malaysia is for malaysians. She is a chinese(yes chinese) customs officer.

The encik told me if there is no regulation on the number of days a foreigner can stay in JB, he will make one on the spot.

I just hope they let me collect my belongings after 30 days. I am glad I have no property. After they close the doors, the condos will be worth a lot less because locals don't really buy or rent apartments like princess cove or the 700k to 1m ones.

For me, i will just rent a studio in singapore. I think I might just barely afford it.

Last edited:

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is the FD deposit. Need RM500K. I am just a peasant.

Ummm... You do have 2 houses in JB so u can't be a peasant. I am a real peasant with no house not much money.

Just my bona fide advice after being in jb 7.5 years. You need a plan because you committed to 2 properties. Condos are very likely to depreciate(never mind the devaluation of the currency) in value because locals do not buy or rent luxury condos and they can impose new restrictions or raise property tax and even selling would be difficult. I know what I am talking about because I spent most of my 30s in JB.

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have been travelling in and out almost every weekend for the past 6 years.Just make sure you get Macs done in Malaysia if you have a property. But if your children are above 18, they do not qualify for Macs done in MY unless their names are in tbe S & P.

They have to get MACs done in Third Link in SG.

You can add their names to the S& P but they will forfeit their chance to buy a HDB in SG.

Do not sell your SG HDB property. With a foreign property, you are not allowed to apply for HDB , both first hand or resale unless you sell off your foreign property.

Last edited:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ummm... You do have 2 houses in JB so u can't be a peasant. I am a real peasant with no house not much money.

Just my bona fide advice after being in jb 7.5 years. You need a plan because you committed to 2 properties. Condos are very likely to depreciate(never mind the devaluation of the currency) in value because locals do not buy or rent luxury condos and they can impose new restrictions or raise property tax and even selling would be difficult. I know what I am talking about because I spent most of my 30s in JB.

Buying a Condo is really a strict no no. From the way you describe, it not for investment nor for salaried men with tiny amount of money to spread around.

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you buy a MY property, you must be prepared to forgo that amount 'invested'. Unlike SG, MY properties are hard to liquidate unless you want to sell at a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.