• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Members are encouraged to install GOM or HOLA or TUNNELBEAR for an added layer of protection.

The SEX forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have stayed many years without any issue but I went back in this week and they issued me a letter saying I am refused entry because i am deemed a "Prohibited Immigrant". The encik said that I am banned for 30 days. I don't even have clothes or any stuff with me now so its tough and i have to book a hotel in singapore for now. I feel it isn't tenable to stay there anymore.

Just posting my experience here to share. The lady basically said "singaporeans must stay singapore".
U have a house in JB under ur name? Do u always stay more than 1mth without exiting fm JB?

U have a house in JB under ur name? Do u always stay more than 1mth without exiting fm JB?

No house but encik said it doesn't matter. I exit about once every 2 weeks and always had no issues but now they seem to be instructed by new authority to ask many questions and i saw a few others being asked "what are you singaporean doing in malaysia". Malaysia immigration is now as strict as the USA.

Having a house is not a license to stay in JB either, neither is macs(according to the malaysian high comm). And only 100 plus singaporeans apply for mm2h a year, pr is almost impossible to get either. Thats why I am unsure why are they promoting retirement in jb when selling properties.

The customs lady basically kept saying malaysia is for malaysians to stay, singaporean must stay singapore.

Last edited:

sunriver

Alfrescian
Loyal
No house but encik said it doesn't matter. I exit about once every 2 weeks and always had no issues but now they seem to be instructed by new authority to ask many questions and i saw a few others being asked "what are you singaporean doing in malaysia". Malaysia immigration is now as strict as the USA.
It's an awful situation to be in. May I know whether u stamp in/out or u are using Macs card when entering/exiting JB?

Last edited:
It's an awful situation to be in. May I know whether u stamp in/out or u are using Macs card when entering/exiting JB?

I didn't renew macs when it expired in August 2016 because there is no macs counter in JB now but no custom officer ever questioned me. I think they may or may not clamp down on macs renewal as every application has to be sent back for approval and presumably someone will look at the stay records.

I don't have any material items with me now other than my passport and wallet. I hope they do let me pack up my stuff at least after 30 days.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didn't renew macs when it expired in August 2016 because there is no macs counter in JB now but no custom officer ever questioned me. I think they may or may not clamp down on macs renewal as every application has to be sent back for approval and presumably someone will look at the stay records.

I don't have any material items with me now other than my passport and wallet. I hope they do let me pack up my stuff at least after 30 days.
What so you mean by no MACS counter in JB? I thought you can renew it in Iskandar office at Danga Bay?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You need to own a property to apply there. I am only renting.
Oh I see. I hope it works out for you somehow. Frankly I am concerned about this recent strictness and questioning about Singaporeans living in JB without long term permit. I will try to get MACS done for the rest of family and hope this will be a practical solution for the time being. Thanks for sharing.

Oh I see. I hope it works out for you somehow. Frankly I am concerned about this recent strictness and questioning about Singaporeans living in JB without long term permit. I will try to get MACS done for the rest of family and hope this will be a practical solution for the time being. Thanks for sharing.

I have stayed in jb since 2011 and this is the first time they ever asked questions and refused my entry. If you have committed to properties in JB, you need a plan. Even macs may not be the solution as it requires renewal. They know a lot of people use macs to stay in JB.

Last edited:

sunriver

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have stayed in jb since 2011 and this is the first time they ever asked questions and refused my entry. If you have committed to properties in JB, you need a plan. Even macs may not be the solution as it requires renewal. They know a lot of people use macs to stay in JB.
I stayed in JB for a while before moving back to SG recently. Initially I stamped in/out but was told by customs officer a couple of times I'm not allowed to stay in JB permanently on a social visit pass. That really got me worried then. Then a 3rd officer told me to get a Macs card instead, which I did. Of course, Macs card is not a visa type and doesn't entitle me to stay in JB permanently. Although officer never explain why, I suspect the Macs system doesn't show full history of entry/exit. So maybe it lets the customs officer off the hook in terms of his responsibility to check for illegal immigrants. If they check your passport for in/out stamps, then by right they should stop you if they notice you are staying there permanently on social visit pass, otherwise they are negligent.

A few years ago, Thailand also clamped down on this type of visa runs at its borders by foreigners who did this to live there permanently. As I understand, Msia also clamped down recently on this at all border points except for JB. If they do so, then definitely affect property market there. Those who're living permanently in JB should apply for MM2H visa instead of risking being barred from entry.

Anyway it's a shitty situation to be in... if I can be of any help, you can reach out to me.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I stayed in JB for a while before moving back to SG recently. Initially I stamped in/out but was told by customs officer a couple of times I'm not allowed to stay in JB permanently on a social visit pass. That really got me worried then. Then a 3rd officer told me to get a Macs card instead, which I did. Of course, Macs card is not a visa type and doesn't entitle me to stay in JB permanently. Although officer never explain why, I suspect the Macs system doesn't show full history of entry/exit. So maybe it lets the customs officer off the hook in terms of his responsibility to check for illegal immigrants. If they check your passport for in/out stamps, then by right they should stop you if they notice you are staying there permanently on social visit pass, otherwise they are negligent.

A few years ago, Thailand also clamped down on this type of visa runs at its borders by foreigners who did this to live there permanently. As I understand, Msia also clamped down recently on this at all border points except for JB. If they do so, then definitely affect property market there. Those who're living permanently in JB should apply for MM2H visa instead of risking being barred from entry.

Anyway it's a shitty situation to be in... if I can be of any help, you can reach out to me.
Problem is that MM2H has financial requirements that I cannot meet, at least not in the foreseeable future.

I stayed in JB for a while before moving back to SG recently. Initially I stamped in/out but was told by customs officer a couple of times I'm not allowed to stay in JB permanently on a social visit pass. That really got me worried then. Then a 3rd officer told me to get a Macs card instead, which I did. Of course, Macs card is not a visa type and doesn't entitle me to stay in JB permanently. Although officer never explain why, I suspect the Macs system doesn't show full history of entry/exit. So maybe it lets the customs officer off the hook in terms of his responsibility to check for illegal immigrants. If they check your passport for in/out stamps, then by right they should stop you if they notice you are staying there permanently on social visit pass, otherwise they

Thanks a lot for your offer to assist and I am deeply appreciative. I can manage for now. I just hope I get my belongings back.

What made you decide to move back to singapore? Do you have property in JB?

I stayed in JB for close to 7.5 years already and I am also considering coming back.

You do own 2 houses in JB right so i believe the mm2h requirements should not be an issue right?

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
You do own 2 houses in JB right so i believe the mm2h requirements should not be an issue right?
It won't be easy to relocate back to Sg. Putting other considerationa aside, the new PH government is working on lowering the cost of living in M'sia. For the foreseeable future, Sg govt has already announced the increases to be phased in running right up to the next GE.

sunriver

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks a lot for your offer to assist and I am deeply appreciative. I can manage for now. I just hope I get my belongings back.

What made you decide to move back to singapore? Do you have property in JB?

I stayed in JB for close to 7.5 years already and I am also considering coming back.
Np, I find angmoh expats tend to help out with one another more so than overseas SGreans, which is something we can learn from.

I stayed in JB while waiting for my flat to be ready. I dun hv property in JB and was renting too. Funny thing is, after coming back here, I realised that I like living in JB/Msia more than here, and am thinking of going back there again one day but with MM2H visa. Maybe can even try Penang/KL one day. The main attraction of JB is that it's beside SG and I can pop over here easily.

kcwx35

Alfrescian
Loyal
What so you mean by no MACS counter in JB? I thought you can renew it in Iskandar office at Danga Bay?
Maybe you should try thirdlink in Singapore for those that do not have property in Malaysia. Although expensive, at least they are unable to check the stamps on your passport.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all. All these information is starting to worry me.
If the govt is truly going to clamp down on those who are staying in Johor as retirement without MM2H l then it looks like it's going to be a very serious factor to reconsider Singaporean retirement plans in Malaysia.

Any update is appreciated. Currently for those that has property in malaysia, what's the game plan?

Hi all. All these information is starting to worry me.
If the govt is truly going to clamp down on those who are staying in Johor as retirement without MM2H l then it looks like it's going to be a very serious factor to reconsider Singaporean retirement plans in Malaysia.

Any update is appreciated. Currently for those that has property in malaysia, what's the game plan?

For some perspective, I have stayed in JB since March 2011 and perhaps the total number of times i have NOT used macs(means go through the counter) total at least 200 or more times. I have never been asked what is a singaporean like me doing in JB.

The customs girl also told me singaporeans must be in singapore, not Malaysia. She also said malaysia is for malaysians. She is a chinese(yes chinese) customs officer.

The encik told me if there is no regulation on the number of days a foreigner can stay in JB, he will make one on the spot.

I just hope they let me collect my belongings after 30 days. I am glad I have no property. After they close the doors, the condos will be worth a lot less because locals don't really buy or rent apartments like princess cove or the 700k to 1m ones.

For me, i will just rent a studio in singapore. I think I might just barely afford it.

Last edited: