• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kcwx35: U mean whether they hv to go with latest requirements or the initial requirements when renewing? Maybe Winners can enlighten us.

Actually, I think the Thai retirement visa system is easier to administer, whereby u just show deposit in Thai bank of 800K Baht to get the annual retirement visa. This MM2H system requires too much documentation, processing etc but at end of day, the only thing important is that the retiree has enough money to support himself in Msia so just simply hv FD good enough haha. Or put another way, I wish Msia hv a separate system for retirees, instead of MM2H which is broader in scope.

As for buying appliances, not sure why u want to buy first, since warranty starts from purchase date, not delivery date. Anyway, in JB, Electronik Keck Seng @Nusa Bestari carries a wide range.

I would suggest you buy the electrical from the more reputable shops, Lionmas, SenQ, Courts etc. I bought once from Keck Seng in Taman Daya and they deliver a showroom unit which can easily spotted due to the worn out lining. I had to call the principal to complain after which they replaced with a brand new one.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another item that can consider to buy is car. At least the warranty starts when deliver. However not sure they can hold the car till November
For those wanting to buy a car, this is the best time. No GST, and more importantly, no SST for the next couple of months.

kcwx35

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those wanting to buy a car, this is the best time. No GST, and more importantly, no SST for the next couple of months.

Agreed. Need to wait till nearer to the implement of SST then I will buy. My concern is whether car dealer is willing to hold on and delivery a few months later.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed. Need to wait till nearer to the implement of SST then I will buy. My concern is whether car dealer is willing to hold on and delivery a few months later.
1 good buy is the C250 AMG going for ~RM270K without GST. Full of features. For fewer feature, the C200 AMG is going for ~RM240K, what you will need to pay for a ordinary Sg car. The road tax and fuel cost is also much, much lower than Sg cars. The only drawback is that you can't drive it over the causeway:(

kcwx35

Alfrescian
Loyal
1 good buy is the C250 AMG going for ~RM270K without GST. Full of features. For fewer feature, the C200 AMG is going for ~RM240K, what you will need to pay for a ordinary Sg car. The road tax and fuel cost is also much, much lower than Sg cars. The only drawback is that you can't drive it over the causeway:(

Too much for me. Looking at either Perodua myvi or Mazda CX5

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kcwx35: U mean whether they hv to go with latest requirements or the initial requirements when renewing? Maybe Winners can enlighten us.
Once you are already in the MM2H Visa scheme, you'll not be affected by further (new) requirement, except for any revision to its annual visa fees and this will also only apply from the next renewal. There have been much speculations of (higher) entry requirements for new applicants since late last year but nothing is concrete yet at this moment.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, I think the Thai retirement visa system is easier to administer, whereby u just show deposit in Thai bank of 800K Baht to get the annual retirement visa.
Had driven up to Hatyai a few times. Yes, the cost of living is definitely lesser than in JB, but due to language limitation, it'll be a hassle to integrate with the locals. Also, despite the common notion of Thais being more warm and friendly, I don't find it to be so. Even many of their customs officers at the Malaysia/Thai borders aren't that friendly at all. The above are my own personal opinion.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Had driven up to Hatyai a few times. Yes, the cost of living is definitely lesser than in JB, but due to language limitation, it'll be a hassle to integrate with the locals. Also, despite the common notion of Thais being more warm and friendly, I don't find it to be so. Even many of their customs officers at the Malaysia/Thai borders aren't that friendly at all. The above are my own personal opinion.
Thai south may not be that peaceful, an impression I gotten from reading the news. Not sure if it is indeed so.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thai south may not be that peaceful, an impression I gotten from reading the news. Not sure if it is indeed so.
Hatyai and northern parts of Songkla are still okay even though the Lee Gardens Plaza in Hatyai had also been bombed before. The more dangerous areas are mainly in Pattani, Narathiwat and Yala. In most towns in Southern Thailand, there are security officers who will scan your IDs (passport in my case) and search the boot and sometimes even the undercarriage of every vehicle (via a mirror) that goes into the car park of their shopping malls.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why do you need such a flash car in Malaysia ?
Just drive any Japanese car or an ordinary Conti car is good enough.

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently when I went back home to JB with my family the CIQ officer said that we have no permit to stay in JB and can charge us with illegal staying. Is that just trying to scare us or is that really the case? We did not overstay the 30 days allowed by the social visit stamp per entry so I can't see where the illegal stay part is. Anyway the MM2H is not a financially feasible option for me now. Have you had the same experience before? Should remain calm or panic?

I have stayed many years without any issue but I went back in this week and they issued me a letter saying I am refused entry because i am deemed a "Prohibited Immigrant". The encik said that I am banned for 30 days. I don't even have clothes or any stuff with me now so its tough and i have to book a hotel in singapore for now. I feel it isn't tenable to stay there anymore.

Just posting my experience here to share. The lady basically said "singaporeans must stay singapore".

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have stayed many years without any issue but I went back in this week and they issued me a letter saying I am refused entry because i am deemed a "Prohibited Immigrant". The encik said that I am banned for 30 days. I don't even have clothes or any stuff with me now so its tough and i have to book a hotel in singapore for now. I feel it isn't tenable to stay there anymore.

Just posting my experience here to share. The lady basically said "singaporeans must stay singapore".

U have a house in JB under ur name? Do u always stay more than 1mth without exiting fm JB?

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
U have a house in JB under ur name? Do u always stay more than 1mth without exiting fm JB?

No house but encik said it doesn't matter. I exit about once every 2 weeks and always had no issues but now they seem to be instructed by new authority to ask many questions and i saw a few others being asked "what are you singaporean doing in malaysia". Malaysia immigration is now as strict as the USA.

Having a house is not a license to stay in JB either, neither is macs(according to the malaysian high comm). And only 100 plus singaporeans apply for mm2h a year, pr is almost impossible to get either. Thats why I am unsure why are they promoting retirement in jb when selling properties.

The customs lady basically kept saying malaysia is for malaysians to stay, singaporean must stay singapore.

Last edited:

sunriver

Alfrescian
Loyal
No house but encik said it doesn't matter. I exit about once every 2 weeks and always had no issues but now they seem to be instructed by new authority to ask many questions and i saw a few others being asked "what are you singaporean doing in malaysia". Malaysia immigration is now as strict as the USA.

It's an awful situation to be in. May I know whether u stamp in/out or u are using Macs card when entering/exiting JB?

Last edited:

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's an awful situation to be in. May I know whether u stamp in/out or u are using Macs card when entering/exiting JB?

I didn't renew macs when it expired in August 2016 because there is no macs counter in JB now but no custom officer ever questioned me. I think they may or may not clamp down on macs renewal as every application has to be sent back for approval and presumably someone will look at the stay records.

I don't have any material items with me now other than my passport and wallet. I hope they do let me pack up my stuff at least after 30 days.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didn't renew macs when it expired in August 2016 because there is no macs counter in JB now but no custom officer ever questioned me. I think they may or may not clamp down on macs renewal as every application has to be sent back for approval and presumably someone will look at the stay records.

I don't have any material items with me now other than my passport and wallet. I hope they do let me pack up my stuff at least after 30 days.

What so you mean by no MACS counter in JB? I thought you can renew it in Iskandar office at Danga Bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.