• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, that's going to a very hefty compensation bill to 2 large shopping malls for loss of business and damage to perishables.
Hopefully the responsible parties are aware what actually happened, rectify it and don't let it happen again.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://m.malaysiakini.com/letters/407668

LETTER | Today is the fifth day into year 2018. The Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL) toll charge has been abolished for the fifth day. Yet, we have not heard from the Singapore government whether they will abolish the reciprocal charge on their side.

By having the RM13.60 EDL toll charge abolished on the Malaysian side, Singapore should also scrap their toll charge of SGD5.30 as soon as possible. It is a fact that both governments have gained windfall incomes at the expense of road users, including many Johoreans, since the toll war started in 2014. As a result of the egoistic showdown by those in power, ordinary citizens have had to suffer increase in cross-border travel expenses. Local businesses and daily travellers are gravely affected, yet the two governments continue with this irresponsible act till today.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://m.malaysiakini.com/letters/407668

LETTER | Today is the fifth day into year 2018. The Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL) toll charge has been abolished for the fifth day. Yet, we have not heard from the Singapore government whether they will abolish the reciprocal charge on their side.

By having the RM13.60 EDL toll charge abolished on the Malaysian side, Singapore should also scrap their toll charge of SGD5.30 as soon as possible. It is a fact that both governments have gained windfall incomes at the expense of road users, including many Johoreans, since the toll war started in 2014. As a result of the egoistic showdown by those in power, ordinary citizens have had to suffer increase in cross-border travel expenses. Local businesses and daily travellers are gravely affected, yet the two governments continue with this irresponsible act till today.

Singapore side had already announced the corresponding adjustment on the toll from 01 Feb 2018.
But all these savings may be short-lived once MY implements the VEP.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/toll-charges-reduced-woodlands-checkpoint-feb-1-match-malaysia

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
We only need to pay a tiny fee to register for Malaysia's VEP and this VEP will be valid for 5 long years. There won't be any daily charge nor per entry charge for their VEP. (Their per entry charge has already started and they call it Road Charge).

You are totally wrong on the Malaysian VEP issue!
It is mandatory that all foreign vehicles, including SG cars to register for the VEP.in order to drive into MY.
There will be a fee of RM10 charged for this VEP and this VEP will be in the form of a Radio Frequency Identification Device ( RFID ) tag, which is valid for 5 years will be issued.
This VEP / RFID tag will be encoded with all the details of the car, its ownership, etc. and vehicles without this tag will be denied entry.
Once the VEP is officially implemented, each time the car enters MY, there will be an entry charge.
In the last announcement, the charge was RM20 per entry but this may change due to the withdrawal of the toll charges.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope the VEP will not be charged per entry.
That will be lots of money.

I think it is not viable for them to charge VEP on per entry basis. It does not maketh sense.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope the VEP will not be charged per entry.
That will be lots of money.

I think it is not viable for them to charge VEP on per entry basis. It does not maketh sense.

The VEP which was supposed to be implemented late last year was postponed without a date due to some technical teething problems.
However, it will be implemented sooner or later because the takings will go towards the Fed and MY needs the money badly.
Some people there are not concerned about what is viable or make sense to the public, more so, to foreigners.
Just like they already imposed additional hotel room tax and "passenger service charges" or PSC for airport users despite strong protest from local tourism businesses.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Intent of VEP is to capture O/S summons at the customs, but of course, after GE, one cant rule out that an additional charge will be imposed. There's no news about any add charge at all, other than RM 25 for 5 years, so let's just enjoy the cheap tolls for now till things change.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Intent of VEP is to capture O/S summons at the customs, but of course, after GE, one cant rule out that an additional charge will be imposed. There's no news about any add charge at all, other than RM 25 for 5 years, so let's just enjoy the cheap tolls for now till things change.

The main concern is actually the VEP disc which has to be attached on the car windscreen. The disc is embedded with a RFID tag containing all the details of the car and car owner and this data later got compromised!
And yes, once the disc is attached on the car, the moment you drives through the sensor, they can immediately tell how much unpaid summons or parking fine you owed and demand immediate payment and no pay, no entry!!

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
The main concern is actually the VEP disc which has to be attached on the car windscreen. The disc is embedded with a RFID tag containing all the details of the car and car owner and this data later got compromised!
And yes, once the disc is attached on the car, the moment you drives through the sensor, they can immediately tell how much unpaid summons or parking fine you owed and demand immediate payment and no pay, no entry!!

Right now if i dont reg with the vep website will i be able to enter jb?

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

RedsYNWA is right. Till date, there is NO news about any additional per entry charge from Malaysia VEP at all.

The RM20 per entry is called Road Charge.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Once the VEP is officially implemented, each time the car enters MY, there will be an entry charge. In the last announcement, the charge was RM20 per entry

As of the time of my reply, the statement above is totally untrue. Till date, there is NO “Per-Entry” charge announced for Malaysia VEP.

Malaysia has started the per-entry charge which they call “Road Charge”.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
As of the time of my reply, the statement above is totally untrue. Till date, there is NO “Per-Entry” charge announced for Malaysia VEP.

Malaysia has started the per-entry charge which they call “Road Charge”.

You still don't fully understand the whole VEP issue at all.
I'd already explained in detail the nature of the VEP and how it works, go read again carefully.
The VEP issue was already reported in the press way back in Oct 2017 -

Datuk Seri Liow said foreign vehicle owners paying the VEP would be issued a radio frequency identification (RFID) tag to be placed on their windshields.

He added that the RFID tag could eventually be used to pay the road charge as well, as an alternative to the Touch 'n Go system.

The RM25 ($8.05) VEP - which will be valid for five years - will be on top of the RM20 Road Charge per entry.

So, call it in whatever name you like, road charge, toll charge, gantry charge, etc. but it is still a per entry charge.
Which simply also means once you leave the country but return even within the same day, you will be charged again for entering!
Nothing had changed except the implementation date, so go read the news again carefully.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se...-fee-on-all-foreign-vehicles-entering-country

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore side had already announced the corresponding adjustment on the toll from 01 Feb 2018.
But all these savings may be short-lived once MY implements the VEP.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/toll-charges-reduced-woodlands-checkpoint-feb-1-match-malaysia

You said above, “But all these savings may be short-lived once MY implements the VEP”.

Snowbird, the per entry charge of RM20 has already started long ago. There will be no ADDITIONAL per entry charge once VEP starts. You still don’t get it?

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Per Entry of RM20 - Already started.

VEP which cost RM25 for 5 Years - Hasn’t started.

(RM25 for 5 years works out to be RM0.013 per day).

Do you get the whole picture?

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Snowbird, in case you still don’t see the whole picture, here’s a simple explanation.

They’ve separated their VEP into 2 parts;

1) The money collection part(RM20 per entry) - They’ve already started this part more than one year ago in Nov 2016.

2) The RFID hardware part - Hasn’t Started yet (This is the part which you have been talking about. This will only cost RM25 for 5 years).

Last edited:

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
i wish to ask again not in theory but reality.
if i Never register for a msia VEP will i be able to enter jb now? thks.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just bought a new car, not registered under VEP, entering daily.... their website to register also say activation of VEP not available until further notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.