• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the projects i cover, still have FH going at 4XX psf in Bukit Indah area. Yes, so its good that they choose to release the news about the tax, tempering the good news with the bad.

Wuqi, can you pls PM the name of this FH 4xx psf project in BI? If its good I want to share with my friend who is interested to invest in a high rise in BI area. Thanks!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
What I say in this forum is very offensive toward a lot of condo owners.

I can pretend pretend and let the world like me. But it is not my nature.

I am trying to make sure Singaporean do not get con or suffer in Johor.

That is why I support Wuqi 100% at least he has the knowledge and a good heart to help potential buyers.

By the way Wuqi also do not agree with me on the zone. Only thing we agree is never buy leasehold in Iskandar.

We are here to share. Our view is different because of our experience in life and the information we get.

That does not make us enemy. Just friend with a different view.

Heartily agreed, different views but always keeping an open mind and always humbly learning.
Money can come and go but everyone you meet in your life will have a lasting impact, at least
to a certain degree.

Purple light
In the valley
There is where
I want to be
Sammyboy
Close Companion
With my rifle and forummers and me...

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: New Tax Rates For Foreigners Owning Properties In Johor

1. Thank you for your post. At first I wrote Astaka off. I thought it was too big and too "rich". But I actually intend to pay a visit to the gallery soon. It may be big and over priced but it is the lifestyle i want; if it turns out the way it is supposed to be. I thought if Afinity is going at RM800 psf, Astaka really isnt that expensive.

2. I agree with you that JB's close proximity to SG can support the prices. But I would like to point out to fellow readers, that price levels are relative. Some ppl will target PH, East Ledang, HH or similar properties. Others may go to Plentong, Kempas or Austin. It is hard for me to put it down in words but I think you guys should be able to get what I am driving at. When prices move at a location move higher, it is only reasonable the folks on a tighter budget move further away.

3. For anyone who cares, I am an average Singaporean (maybe slightly above average), and I share the same concerns i.e. security, returns on investment, amenities, value of purchase, etc. I, too, aspire to own a really huge landed. But security to me is paramount. I dont see how I can defend 8,000 sqft of land by myself and that would be the biggest reason why I wouldnt buy it in JB. A small landed would not make sense for me cos I am already living in one. And so, I buy what I think can give me the most happiness. A classy apartment that has close proximity to gals that I can bring back to!

4. Another boring story to share with you guys. Because I play golf, I got to know of HH way before Iskandar was hot. I was told a landed was only about SGD200K. It never crossed my mind to buy then. Bukit Indah was still sleepy. The gals were ugly. Food was and still crappy. It would take me a 2,000 rounds of golf to break even for the house. But now, Bt. Indah is diff. Things are falling into place and the chicks are getting prettier. And when I decided that maybe I can take a look at HH, now it would take me 4,000 rounds of golf to break even! Moral of the story: Risk Premium

5. Now on pricing. A fren of mine bought Tropica (i think) at RM610psf. He brought me to see the Capri selling at RM990psf. Has prices gone up? sure it has. are they the same product? They are not. Tropica is Residential only. Glass and concrete facade. Capri is a mixed developement with an all glass facade. So which developement has better value? That's not for me to say. Only the buyer knows. Also, if you guys take a look at the earlier launches of East Ledang, by my standards, the finishings are not good enough. The newer launches are of cos more expensive, but maybe the finishes are better? I wouldnt know till the end product comes out. What I am saying is that, with the increase in psf, as far as I can see, the reputable developers are supporting the prices by giving better products.

6. I dont think Straits Quay is a good proxy for PH. Its DAM FUGLY! Its no wonder they cant sell. But I digress. Anyway...I guess by Penang standards, some may think that JB prices are bubbling. I humbly disagree. Penang doesnt have Singapore as her neighbour. JB has. And I have already said it before, and I shall say it again, Medini is Singapore's RETIREMENT VILLAGE!!! It's out there for all of you to see. They are calling it Wellness cos nobody wants to buy a Retirement Village!!! Agree??? A big island load of old ppl with REAL CASH (note: not borrowed) after selling their HDB and spending it in JB can only spur the economy. Let me be the first to say this: The PRC milfs will move into Medini and cheat old man of their retirement funds, just like what they are doing at People's Park right now. PRC milfs are the best money-sniffers. Will win any blood hound hands down.

7. I actually have more things to say but my post will look more cluttered than it already is. So, before I go... specuvestors, pls tread carefully in Iskandar. It is full of landmines. For ppl who intend to purchase for own use, just go ahead, buy what you like and can afford and you cant go wrong.

A simple thing like a rich neighbour like Singapore will do.

My stupid friend bought a 50th fl unit in Astaka for RM1500+ psf.

Penang I only like Gurney Dr. And I have never come across a FH Gurney Super Condo for RM400 yet. (my favorite condo in Penang is Gurney Paragon. I did not buy because I know I cannot make much from it.)

E&O condos call Straits Quay is trying hard to sell off their units. But tough luck.... rental is slow.
(Thanks for pointing it out. I was wondering anyone use Straits Quay as a proxy toward Puteri Harbour)

http://www.straitsquay.com/footer/e&o_property_development

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it means anything to you, I hold your views in very high regard. In no way do I find your comments offensive. Please continue to share so that we can all learn from your thoughts (and your access to information). Iskandar is too big for any individual to venture alone.

However, I disagree with you on the leasehold. 129 years leasehold is very puntable. 99 years LH puntable, just less so compared to the 129 LH. Note the word Punt.

Once retirees see that Medini is a good place to retire in, they would be willing to pay a premium for accessibility to "wellness". I wouldnt touch it because the risks-to-returns ratio is not good enough for me. But it will be good enough for some.

What I say in this forum is very offensive toward a lot of condo owners.

I can pretend pretend and let the world like me. But it is not my nature.

I am trying to make sure Singaporean do not get con or suffer in Johor.

That is why I support Wuqi 100% at least he has the knowledge and a good heart to help potential buyers.

By the way Wuqi also do not agree with me on the zone. Only thing we agree is never buy leasehold in Iskandar.

We are here to share. Our view is different because of our experience in life and the information we get.

That does not make us enemy. Just friend with a different view.

jamestan88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't own any HDB flats but I think these refer to only Singapore private residential properties?

Singapore Permanent Resident flat owners and/or essential family members who have met the minimum occupation period for their flat are required to notify HDB of their purchase of the local private residential property before they exercise the Option-To-Purchase (OTP) for the property. They would also be required to undertake to sell their HDB flat within 6 months of acquisition of a completed or uncompleted local private residential property.

Last edited:

jamestan88

Alfrescian
Loyal
It takes courage to speak one's mind. Try to please everyone and you will end up pleasing no one.

There is great potential in Iskandar and there is huge risk. Plenty of naysayers around but lots of fervent believers too. At the end of the day, we do our homework and take the plunge. It is all about probability, risk versus reward and capitalising on information gaps. Few in the early days of Singapore believed that Orchard Road would one day become a prime shopping belt on the island. :smile:

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
High risk must be accompany by high reward.
If the statistic is 100-1 but the payout is 10-1 , I will not bet at all.

Strange thing is when one see risk other see potential.

And when one see a gem other see a stone.

This is the fun part of investing. If 1% of the population are rich while 99% are supposing poor. I wonder why there are so many rich now in Iskandar.

Or maybe Iskandar itself is a trap from the beginning. Hence whether you bet A or B all will lost when the banker open F.

I know a lot of early "smart money" will disagree because they have paper gain, but end of the day the investment community in Iskandar as a whole may be in form a negative equity by 2025.

My plan is simple. Buy now ; sell at TOP regardless win or lose.

Something to think about for me today.

It takes courage to speak one's mind. Try to please everyone and you will end up pleasing no one.

There is great potential in Iskandar and there is huge risk. Plenty of naysayers around but lots of fervent believers too. At the end of the day, we do our homework and take the plunge. It is all about probability, risk versus reward and capitalising on information gaps. Few in the early days of Singapore believed that Orchard Road would one day become a prime shopping belt on the island. :smile:

Last edited:

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another thing....

If Iskandar is own by a lot of foreigners and very few Malaysian, it will cause a lot of problem in the future.

1. Tax
2. Blame game (property not affordable, blame foreigners)
3. Policy (new policy just to please voters)
4. Risk (gated community can be mob)
5. Frame (Politician may set trap to destroy oversea developer)
6. Confuse (keep coming out new ruling and make resale difficult)
7. Musical chair without chair (or maybe all along a Ponzi scheme)

jamestan88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Risk is relative.

SGD $1m for some is the whole of their life savings (present and future). For others, it may be just 1% of their existing portfolio.

It is easy to become attached to one's decision and the physical symbol of it e.g. a house or a condo unit.

When emotions set in, it becomes difficult to let go be it to take profit or cut loss.

To make money therefore, emotions should be minimised or even better, eliminated.

jamestan88

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the JB (and Malaysia at large) property market to become viable, the locals must enter it.

This means the purchasing power of the locals has to be improved one way or another.

The long-term prospects of the property market of any country cannot diverge from the economic viability of the nation. When one buys a property in a country, he is in fact buying into the potential of the country itself.

Why are so many HNWI and UHNWI buying into Singapore in spite of the "high" prices? They see a story-line that they like and commit to properties in SG as a way of buying into the potential.

Likewise, why are there foreigners buying into Iskandar properties in spite of the "high" prices? They see a story-line that they like and commit to properties there as a way of buying into the potential.

A growth story comes with risks. With risks come potential rewards.

A good investment is one which has risks that are proportionately lower than the scale of potential rewards.

A bad investment is one which has risks that are proportionately higher than the scale of potential rewards.

A much used (and abused) adage: take care of the down-side and the up-side takes care of itself.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
600K cant buy you a terrace in a 'good neighbourhood' anymore,not a decent size which would be at least 2200sqft. In fact some developers like Setia and even KSL are not building terraces in Nusajaya anymore but rather clusters so that they can price it abv 1M.In HH a terrace is 1.4M at the latest launch. It would require compromising location and size to buy something for 600K. Even in Zone A, the better neighbourhoods are pricier. So.....not so affordable anymore. Btw, a 3 bedroom condo below 600K is also not easy to find now in a good estate, good location. In Setia Tropika which isnt even that 'prime' Setia seems to sell out at higher and higher prices, am referring to the condos. Even Sky Estadia could sell out at abv600psf?But majority of the buyers are NOT foreigners I hear. I think some locals are buying to flip to foreigners.
Soon investing in Iskandar will cost more than buying a brand new medium sized HDB unit.

There are still pockets of opportunities in gd areas, but I think as Singaporeans, we are at a natural disadvantage compared to the locals when it comes to sussing out gd bargains. A landed project I was interested in at a gd price, was totally sold out in 3 days (mainly bought by well-to-do locals), with minimal advertising. For shoplots in great locations & price, a Datuk Seri told me that usually, they will all be fully booked by locals before their launch.

That's why for certain projects, the developer's focus is on foreigners, esp Singaporeans because they know at those prices, the flippers will not be interested...But for home stay, I think paying RM 100k-150K over the market rate is still ok lah for the average singaporean considering the LT investment, and its freehold status....

Last edited:

jamestan88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor or rich, it depends on who you are comparing yourself against.

If I compare myself to a billionaire who can splurge a million bucks a day without batting an eyelid, I would definitely feel poor.

If I compare myself to the chap who lives in a one-room flat and relies on government assistance, I would feel well-off.

The roots of one's frustrations are usually his expectations and attachments.

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor or rich, it depends on who you are comparing yourself against.

If I compare myself to a billionaire who can splurge a million bucks a day without batting an eyelid, I would definitely feel poor.

If I compare myself to the chap who lives in a one-room flat and relies on government assistance, I would feel well-off.

The roots of one's frustrations are usually his expectations and attachments.

Well said. Everything is relative and transient :smile:

mika14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi does anyone know if JB have any huge art supplies store? something equivalent to SG's Art Friend in Bras Basah. Want to buy some white spirit.* Thanks!

mika14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes many ways if the authorities really want to do it. May be there is no political will to really do something about it.

Here are my suggestion.

1 ) Economical union with Malaysia like the EU
2 ) JB or Iskandar declared special economic zone so less checks unless to go out of the zone.
3 ) More automation like special pass and card on both sides. The authorities can then use camera or random inspection to check for any illegal imports.
4 ) Ferry link but can take in cars and buses.
5 ) 3 link or via duct over the current causeway but with CIQ further in like the 2nd link same for Singapore. May be the singapore CIQ can be at Kranji or where the MRT station is proposed.

But obviously the fastest fix will be to improve the operation at the current CIQs.

anyway when will SG CIQ raise the VEP for Malaysian motorcycles?
its being S$4 for more than 7 years already and its time they should raise to cut down the number of bikes jamming the Causeway.
Causeway is the only place in SG where bikes can get jammed.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the moment, not many foreigners yet. If too many foreigners are in, I am out.

Another thing....

If Iskandar is own by a lot of foreigners and very few Malaysian, it will cause a lot of problem in the future.

1. Tax
2. Blame game (property not affordable, blame foreigners)
3. Policy (new policy just to please voters)
4. Risk (gated community can be mob)
5. Frame (Politician may set trap to destroy oversea developer)
6. Confuse (keep coming out new ruling and make resale difficult)
7. Musical chair without chair (or maybe all along a Ponzi scheme)

Status
Not open for further replies.