• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Totally agree. Daily commute between My & Sg is not easy during the morning and evening peak at causeway. Also there is a slight different in food and people's mentality that we need to adjust.

And this is why people need to be objective when considering if moving to JB (or anywhere else in the world, for that matter) is suitable for them. Different individuals and families have different needs and priorities and they have to decide based on what is right for them. People should not expect to move to a different location and have the exact same food, exact same neighbours and that things are done exactly the same way. So it is very important to be objective and to consider all pros and cons carefully before making the jump. Uprooting your family is not something that should be taken lightly.

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mummymoo
I was in your position last year...The education system in Singapore puzzles me too... I had to relearn Mathematics with my child as he struggles with the curriculum..Many children can be demoralized. It is also not a system that caters to special learners. Sadly, the legacy that we have is one where the school is a place to perform. Your children needs to learn at the private tuition agencies, schools, etc. And good luck to you if you cannot afford the time (working parents) or money to do that.

Yep, I have to make sure my kids are "educated" not just by passing exams. My husband and I too had to go through a parent workshop that the school organised to teach parents the maths topics. If we struggled, I can't imagine how the kids cope. In the MNC I work at, sadly local students who did well in the local system are always pipped by the ang mohs simply because they are not as street smart as those ang mohs. Being book smart can only take you that far.

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Migrate to Canada? It is indeed a place of rolling mountains and lakes but one has to love the 'super cold' weather almost throughout the year to enjoy life there. The winter months are dreary and harsh. A friend has to 'hack' away the snow piling in front of her house before entry. In fact, she is getting tired of the cold. The winter months are getting longer and unpredictable. She is looking forward to moving to Shanghai where her hubby is posted to .

Another older couple returned to sunny Singapore for the same reason. But their children who are educated there, chose to work there and one even marries there. They can't fit into the sg system anymore...being younger, I guess they enjoy the winter months and the winter sports.

However, the young adults had difficulty securing permanent jobs.. their job is usually on a contractual basis.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep, I have to make sure my kids are "educated" not just by passing exams.
Spot on! My grandmother is educated but not literate, our kids' literacy level went up. Sadly, they need an education. As parents, we play a big part.

My husband and I too had to go through a parent workshop that the school organised to teach parents the maths topics. If we struggled, I can't imagine how the kids cope.
Same here. But thank goodness, my wife is manning the fort at home and at the rate that she is going, I told her that she could be a tuition teacher if she needs to supplement the meagre allowance I give her! :biggrin:

In the MNC I work at, sadly local students who did well in the local system are always pipped by the ang mohs simply because they are not as street smart as those ang mohs. Being book smart can only take you that far.
Not forgeting our friends from the sub continent. Talk 95% of the time and put in effort to do 5% of the work! But the whole world thought they are the brains and sweat behind it. We need to learn from them in that department!

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tota agree! It is a muslim country overall and that is why hundreds of thousands of Malaysian Chinese move out to others countries eventhought not being pay n pay and suck n suck like Sg. Iskandar project will be a big hit if BN no more ruling govt or PAS rule johore or win Nusajaya as well as DAP win Gelang Patah. BOTH Anwar n Pas's Vice leader has objected Iskandar to be a 'Big Sg' within Johore n they want a more Bumi occupation instead. All investors are holding back after reading fr newspapers. Some prepare to withdraw to cut lost. It will be sellers market aftee May 5. Lets pray the BN win for our investment. As a SG, we hv no choice to back Najib who pro Sg.
Can't agree more. All eyes are on the election this Sunday to see if they pull through. Fingers crossed!

CokeBear

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks for the reply :smile:

am driving malaysia car in :P the last time i was told, i cannot use park & ride... :\ had advise to park at Turf club near kranji, but i always thought the parking only available when there's a race?

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tota agree! It is a muslim country overall and that is why hundreds of thousands of Malaysian Chinese move out to others countries eventhought not being pay n pay and suck n suck like Sg. Iskandar project will be a big hit if BN no more ruling govt or PAS rule johore or win Nusajaya as well as DAP win Gelang Patah. BOTH Anwar n Pas's Vice leader has objected Iskandar to be a 'Big Sg' within Johore n they want a more Bumi occupation instead. All investors are holding back after reading fr newspapers. Some prepare to withdraw to cut lost. It will be sellers market aftee May 5. Lets pray the BN win for our investment. As a SG, we hv no choice to back Najib who pro Sg.

Oh no! Time to lelong liao!

But if that scenario materialises, what do you think the price adjustments would be? 50%?

pockaroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
So if 1 spouse malaysian and 1 spouse singaporean, to purchase as joint name property, the valuation must also be more than RM 500K?

I am almost certain as long as there is a foreigner's name in there, you will need State Consent and also the 500k floor kicks in. If you can, just use the Malaysian spouse name as a single applicant - no state consent, no 500k limit plus you get a much wider range of inventory to choose from. I do recognise your circumstances might be different.

pockaroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
BOTH Anwar n Pas's Vice leader has objected Iskandar to be a 'Big Sg' within Johore n they want a more Bumi occupation instead. All investors are holding back after reading fr newspapers. Some prepare to withdraw to cut lost.

It is called political rhetorics. The man on the street calls them election promises. I won't read too much into it. If indeed the opposition wins Johor, it remains to be seen how much of these promises will be implemented, and if implemented how watered down are they. I see the world in simple terms. All the end of the day, it is still money that talks, opposition or no opposition. Tell me which country on this planet does not love FDI? Grow your economy with other people's money?

It will be sellers market aftee May 5. Lets pray the BN win for our investment. As a SG, we hv no choice to back Najib who pro Sg.

That would will make some late entrants to buying a retirement home happy, wouldn't it?

For those who are vested, go watch some TV, spend some quality time with family. There is nothing you can do now that is within your control. For those who are not vested, do the same too.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who are vested, go watch some TV, spend some quality time with family. There is nothing you can do now that is within your control. For those who are not vested, do the same too.

I like your advice. Reminded me of the time when I was waiting for my 'O' Level results! :biggrin:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ha ha. I am not concerned about the outcome. Why you are so worried?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya, very true. Now I also follow them. Maybe too lazy to reverse or they scare their car kana tow away?

There should be a reason for doing so, maybe what I guess is what in their mind?

Yeah lor there should be a reason, maybe save time haha - reverse in take abit more time but 先苦后甜 easy to come out - park head in without turning the wheel still can tow away, right?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
So if 1 spouse malaysian and 1 spouse singaporean, to purchase as joint name property, the valuation must also be more than RM 500K?

Unless both of you set up a company and then the Malaysian spouse/partner has 51% shareholding in the company. Then its considered a local company and you will not have state consent, etc. Harder than using personal name to get loans though when doing it this way as loan quantum will be lower and interest rates are also higher plus not a lot of banks are willing to lend especially if its a company under 2 or 3 years (Standard Chartered needs minimum of 3 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.