• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can those solar panels which are installed on our roof store enough energy to be used like a backup power generator for the whole house?
Pardon my ignorance as I'm not familiar with this equipment.

Dont think so. From my limited knowledge, it only runs in the daytime when there's sun. Malaysia has quite gd incentives for solar power so many owners are interested but startup cost can be v expensive.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
MAJOR BLACKOUT this morning from 3am-6am @ Horizon Hills. Dogs were barking incessantly around the neighbourhood.

Yes indeed, i did part time security guard around my area, until about 6plus then the power came back on i think. First time i saw it took so long. Mainly Gateway area as i drove out to buy breakfast in the morning.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
If HH blackout does it affect BI?and i believe i have to climb over my gate if it happen as my gate is auto:*:

Actually no need, just ask your auto gate guy to set up a back up battery for you so you can still open the gates when having blackout, etc

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont think so. From my limited knowledge, it only runs in the daytime when there's sun. Malaysia has quite gd incentives for solar power so many owners are interested but startup cost can be v expensive.

Storage can be done with batteries, BUT current generation of batteries similar to car batteries aren't very efficient at the moment. I suppose there needs to be enough of a demand before an efficient battery is made. Chrysler which has it's battery powered sports car, Volt, I think it's called, is apparently trying to or maybe has already gotten into some sort of JV to produce a more efficient battery to store electical energy. Batteries like the ones used in golf buggies, are to a degree, able to store energy, but the storage capacity degrades over time and usage.....

Lithium technology is new but not really developed to it's potential, I think. Too many vested interests to see this type of energy storage/production takeoff and get established!!!!

Last edited:

Eesee

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those without the side door , you can create a smaller door within the main gate . Go see what your Malaysian neigbours are doing , Singaporean can learn a thing or two from them .

Most houses in Singapore have the smaller gates within the main gates. I had that smaller gate since I installed my gate more than 25 years ago. Some are so well done that you cannot tell that there is a smaller gate within it. The smaller gate can be either auto or manual.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Some bros were asking recently about where to go for good TCM or accupuncture in Singapore.
Very good for “gu chi” and serious back issues:

Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, Street 12 (Opposite MacDonalds)
Blk 128 #01-1857 - Ground Floor Shop
6552 8086/9852 5552

Monday, Tuesday 2pm-5pm, 8.30-9pm, Friday-Saturday 9-12pm
Wednesday/Holidays Closed

Good for internal as well as back issues
Cao Guang Yu T.c.m Group Pte Ltd
619A Geylang Road, (S)389558
6741 1836

Not related in any way or form and nothing to benefit or gain from this.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some bros were asking recently about where to go for good TCM or accupuncture in Singapore.
Very good for “gu chi” and serious back issues:

Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, Street 12 (Opposite MacDonalds)
Blk 128 #01-1857 - Ground Floor Shop
6552 8086/9852 5552

Monday, Tuesday 2pm-5pm, 8.30-9pm, Friday-Saturday 9-12pm
Wednesday/Holidays Closed

Good for internal as well as back issues
Cao Guang Yu T.c.m Group Pte Ltd
619A Geylang Road, (S)389558
6741 1836

Not related in any way or form and nothing to benefit or gain from this.

Been having problem of stiff neck recently. Cannot turn. Am sure not due to pillow (luo zhen). I wonder if this one able to help since I don't know whether got 'gu chi' or not.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Been having problem of stiff neck recently. Cannot turn. Am sure not due to pillow (luo zhen). I wonder if this one able to help since I don't know whether got 'gu chi' or not.

Sure, stiff neck, you can take a hot towel and put it around your neck and while it is still hot, put it at the back of your neck and pull one side and then pull the other side up and down in succession. Yes, likely "lao zhen or luo zhen" They definitely can help easily but the first sifu is very good indeed especially with accupuncture stuff, very fast and very good.

2nd one also pretty good. Both of them are eccentric in their own ways so do bear with them. One is like "Dong Xie", the other is more like "Xi Du".

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure, stiff neck, you can take a hot towel and put it around your neck and while it is still hot, put it at the back of your neck and pull one side and then pull the other side up and down in succession. Yes, likely "lao zhen or luo zhen" They definitely can help easily but the first sifu is very good indeed especially with accupuncture stuff, very fast and very good.

2nd one also pretty good. Both of them are eccentric in their own ways so do bear with them. One is like "Dong Xie", the other is more like "Xi Du".

But I'm sure its not lou zhen. Its been 3 month already. Seen one physician and did guasha for me. No results after taking the medicine.

Now who should I go with? Dong Xie? or Xi Du?

melodysoul

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi cathyimg,

Sorry to hear about your stiff neck issue. Try to get a firm pillow for better support. Sometimes backaches and stiff neck are due to our postures. I just went to hospital for a very bad backache, went for physio and was advised to improve on my posture. Not sure if yours could be e same?

Take Care...

melodysoul

Alfrescian
Loyal
3-6 hours is major in SG standard but malaysia is normal.

3-6 hours are very long...Guess have to get used to it if we face such an issue here.

I went to Citrus Hotel in JB for a 1 night day and it blackout around 4am.
Total darkness. When we went down for breakfast around 9-10am, the canteen was still dark. The staff lit the place with candles and continue operation.

melodysoul

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Captainjones,

Thank u for sharing on your friend's purchase. This is helpful information.

A quick browse, i read the title..."Free shipping + 99 Wireless zones and 5 wired", i thought how could the price be so good at USD$56++ for 99 sensors? Cos i was browsing another model in taobao http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.1.1000638.75.104aea&id=13516134384 for 4 bedrooms + 1 living hall
Later than i realise, you can purchase more units/parts and add upto 99 sensors that you mentioned in the last post.

We have yet to shift in officially and are still considering either the conventional alarm system that cost 1800RM that is more reliable? or this setup that relies on infa/sensor that can help us save more? especially we are only renting a house.

Btw, after going in and out of JB many times, I was quite comfortable and not really so afraid of JB town. However as we met and spoke to many local here, they reminded us that crimes and robbery happens everywhere and is dangerous.
This made me ponder if we should spend more on security...

melodysoul

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi there, pleasant to realize there is a bunch of sporeans who believe staying in msia is not suicidal. most of the sporeans whom i know offline and online think its crazy to want to stay in msia and some are totally unaware of the development of msia esp in the residential property scene. from the commments here, i infer that most of you are staying in bukit indah/nusajaya area that is pretty close to 2nd link and causeway? well i am vested there too so looking forward to more discussion here!

Hi graveyard,

There are friends who thought we are "weird/crazy" to shift to JB. Trying to adjust this period...
Reading posts by the seniors here made us feel more assured that this is not a wrong decision?

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

OIC, thanks for your reply RedsYNWA.
4 Rep points for you.

melodysoul

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyway I have a question,how to apply for astro?I am moving in on 20th Oct.and can Astro or cable channels be received for the whole hse or only selected place ie:rooms or living rooms which we want it to be?and whats the cost?

HI lanlibra,

I hope i can help to answer your part 1 question:
You can apply Astro by calling them directly. Website: http://www.astro.com.my/
I was also asking the same question and the office staff at our precint told me can call them directly, let them know what plan you want to purchase? Installation charges cost $250RM and montly subscription depends on the plans

Alternatively, you can go to the sub suppliers - saw some electrical shops do Astro also. There is one shop in Bestari
doing TV channel and Astro. Let me know if you need the contact. I was trying to install also
Part 2 question: I am not sure. Hope other helpful souls can help>

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
This morning was the first time I experienced a blackout in HH; quickly got up and opened all my windows with netting. Managed to fall asleep again and snored quite loudly, according to my wife.

As for the solar panels on the roof, startup cost is around RM50-100k depending on how many solar panels you install. It's cheaper now because the price of those panels has dropped. Once it's connected to the grid, TNB will pay you between RM350-700 or higher for the electricity that you "sell" to them. The system in Msia doesn't allow for storage; which apparently has a few safety issues with having such a battery in the house. So its only for day use. I plan to get this; ROI should be about 7-8 years.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
The blackout lasted from 3 till 6am :smile: The last time it happened was in end August on a Saturday morning from 10+am till 12pm or so.

This morning was the first time I experienced a blackout in HH; quickly got up and opened all my windows with netting. Managed to fall asleep again and snored quite loudly, according to my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.