• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FamMH

Alfrescian
Loyal
btw , any gd recommendations which newspapers to buy in msia ? english n mandrain ... today i bought new straits time ...

Hi,
Hope not being kipo here as tis question is not reply yet.

For english, new straits time & star r popular in local esp. KL.

For chinese, 南洋商报 is more for business man/woman, local prefer 星洲日报 in day time and 中国报 in e night time.

Fyi, 星洲日报 start selling at night but date in following day!

Cheers, happy reading!

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, consulted google. It seems 2 suggest tat pusat bandar is smaller scale, like a center within a township
Bandaraya is on broader scale, normally a city center of a state ...
Dunno my understanding correct or not, but I tried

Haha, this one is not exciting but it's definitely 'electrifying'! :biggrin:

By the way, I drove around Legoland today and found that the road signs show Medini as 'Pusat Bandar (Medini)'. Anyone knows whether there is any difference between 'Pusat Bandar' and 'Pusat Bandaraya'? Whoami or Batok Seri?

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you all for the happy wishes.

Wow DOA, very soon can be language teacher....... you got the meaning/translation correct....

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, consulted google. It seems 2 suggest tat pusat bandar is smaller scale, like a center within a township
Bandaraya is on broader scale, normally a city center of a state ...
Dunno my understanding correct or not, but I tried

Lol, I used Google Translate instead of Google Search, both words translate to City :biggrin:
Thanks DoA. That was what I guessed as well since Bandar is shorter and without the powerful 'Raya' behind :biggrin: hehe!
Moreover, JB is the capital city of Johor and they can't change that.
So Nusajaya is a new city of Johor, while Medini is Nusajaya's city center.

Thank you all for the happy wishes.

Wow DOA, very soon can be language teacher....... you got the meaning/translation correct....

Thanks for the confirmation Grago :smile:

Last edited:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thx bro investor n grago. I tried tried only
Ya, medini will b the new Financial District. So rightfully can call it e city center/CBD of a township which is nusajaya. Makes sense :smile:
Dunno next time when ppl refers CBD of JB, which area will come to ppl's mind first hehe

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ya, medini will b the new Financial District. So rightfully can call it e city center/CBD of a township which is nusajaya. Makes sense :smile:
Dunno next time when ppl refers CBD of JB, which area will come to ppl's mind first hehe

Nusajaya is a city in Johor State, not just a township.
Bukit Indah is one of the towns in Nusajaya City.
Medini is the city center of Nusajaya City.

Last edited:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

JB is also a city in Johor State, but it's the capital city of Johor State.
So if you say CBD of JB, it's obviously JB City and not Nusajaya City.
If you say CBD of Nusajaya, then it's Medini.

Last edited:

Taryn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello everyone, finally came back to the forum after a super long time (last activity was in March). Finally settled down and getting used to commuting daily from JB. Came across this forum when I first hatched the idea of moving to JB. The information in the forum has been invaluable and now it's already at LIJB3. Wow.

Was a bit of a shock to the system when I first moved over cos in order to save more, we rented a completely bare house. By bare, I mean there were doors, fans & taps. That's it. Initially I thought it won't be too hard since it's an interim house while I search for a house to buy and wait for it to be built. I was so wrong! I work long hours 6 days a week and it was not funny trying to get the bare necessities for the house to be up and ready. But the rental was super cheap la (i feel) so can't complain. Now finally all the bare minimum is up and I have formed some sort of a rhythm.

Scrolling thorough the recent pages and LIJB2, seems that there are a lot of unhappiness. Hope everyone can work it out and the forum can be a happy friendly place again. So it won't feel so intimidating to newbies. It was really useful for me then and I hope other newbies who just discovered the forum will feel just as welcomed.

Cheers all!

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Generally "Bandaraya" in Malay means City and that word is typically used to refer to highly populated areas managed by City Councils e.g. DBKL, MBJB, MBPJ etc. (see below for more details).
Smaller "Bandar" or towns are the next in rung and also apply to state capitals with a small population size so Yong Peng, Bandar Melaka, Seremban, Mersing etc these are all Bandar or towns.
Nusajaya is a brand new town and thats why it is called Bandar Nusajaya. Same like Putrajaya, it is also a town.

Interesting facts - The link shows how local governments are organised in Malaysia -> http://jkt.kpkt.gov.my/en/main.php?...5&VertSectionID=43&CurLocation=43&IID=&Page=1
Each state in Malaysia is subdivided into many districts under the care of a local council or authority:

Majlis/Dewan Bandaraya (i.e. City Council) is the biggest and looks after city areas usually small areas with big pop densities. e.g. MBJB, DBKL (dewan bandaraya KL), MBPJ (Petaling Jaya), MBI (Ipoh).
Majlis Perbandaran (Municipal Council) is the next biggest and looks after suburbs within capital cities e.g. MPJBT (JB Tengah), MPKulai (Kulai), MPAJ (Ampang Jaya) etc.
Majlis Daerah (District Office) is the last type which looks after all districts not looked after by the above e.g. Majlis Daerah Yong Peng, Tangkak etc.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Mingchye,

UEM calls Nusajaya a 'city' themselves. So have they gotten it wrong?
The road signs show Medini as city center(Pusat Bandar), meaning the center of a city.
If Nusajaya is not a city, then Medini is the center of which city?
Definitely not JB city because JB already has it's own city center(Pusat bandaraya).

MsTrii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taryn;1182748 Scrolling thorough the recent pages and LIJB2 said:
Ya lor! It's Hari Raya . I m non Muslim but the second half of the raya greeting really resonates with me ...."Maaf zahir batin" I like that in wishing the other well(joy, good health n prosperity ,etc ) on that joyous day, one also asks for forgiveness for any hurts /grieviances caused. I think thaz a beautiful Malay culture n a good habit to inculcate in ourselves n children ,whatever our race n religion too. So to all out there.....Selamat Hari Raya , maaf zahir batin!

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have not been around for some time and pleasantly surprised to see LiJB Part 3 is up!

Glad to see that some have made the transition into HH. I am sure you will enjoy the stay! :smile:

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have not been around for some time and pleasantly surprised to see LiJB Part 3 is up!

Glad to see that some have made the transition into HH. I am sure you will enjoy the stay! :smile:

Welcome back bro! Miss yr laughter!!

ahhahhhahahaha

My 1st post in JB3

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thx bro. I noticed it is nusajaya, iskandar Malaysia, Johor. So Johor bahru is not even mentioned.Maybe we have been conveniently using JB to cover all areas we go haha

Yah man :smile: Below are more explanations I found;

Housing estates are usually referred to as "taman" in Malaysia. Technically, the word "taman" means "park" but in practice it is translated as 'housing estate', 'township', 'town', 'subdivision', 'community', or simply 'neighbourhood'. http://www.ahyer.com/malaysia/sarawak/miri/housing-estates.html

Mingchye was confused in this case because in Malaysian Malay language, bandar means "town" or sometimes "city". http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandar
In this case, Bandar Nusajaya is not a town, it's a City.

Last edited:

Lord Aragorn

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've brought my friends to HH a couple of times in the past. I thought the environment looked nice but the showhouse was a little disappointing as it was clustered with rows of houses and no golf view. There was also no bungalow show unit too.

One thing that I learnt from this forum is the close to nature setting like misty fogs and chirping birds in the morning. This sounds wonderful - and this is something unique about the development.

Two questions:

1. Is the nature setting applicable for non golf facing houses? I imagined the row of houses facing each other to be no different from any other developments, ie. one might not feel the 'nature' part when one steps put of the house in the morning. I might be missing something here, but I would like to hear the views of people who stayed there.

2. Are there bungalow show houses already? Or those golf facing show house?

My motivation in this post is to counter the objections in my mind.

Last edited:

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thx bro. I noticed it is nusajaya, iskandar Malaysia, Johor. So Johor bahru is not even mentioned.Maybe we have been conveniently using JB to cover all areas we go haha

Haha bro DoA, thanks for messing it up a bit more for us :smile: , but you do raise a good point.

Thus let me try to clarify once and for all.

I got my Progress Billiing letter from HH. Its address is officially Nusajaya, Johor. Meaning Nusajaya is a new town. Hence Pusat Bandar refers to downtown of Nusajaya town, which is Medini.

Johor Bahru is the only City in Johor. Pusat Bandaraya therefore refers to downtown JB city, near City Square.

We have indeed been using "JB" to cover all areas which is strictly speaking not quite right. Therefore the Gov coined the new term "Iskandar" that covers all the way north to Kulai/Senai including Kempas in middle, and south including Nusajaya and JB City.

Status
Not open for further replies.