• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Two words. I'M SOLD! :smile:

Thanks bro

Bro , Based on my positive logic , Nusajaya wont be that hard hit. 1) The growth story of Nusajaya was supposed to compliment SG as a affordable place for people like us . Unless suddendly , things in SG become so afforable and livable (no more overcrowding , coe 2/=, chicken rice 2/= , etc) that we start thinking about retiring in SG once again. Look like it wont happen anytime soon . Recession or not , things wont be easy in SG lah
2) In JB , more likely developer takes the lead . They up price , resale follow and when developer cut the price, resale price down. Currently , developer got not much prime land already , especially the Jusco area. A check with a few developers will tell you they are only interested to built house price above 600K or even near the 1M range.
3) When property in JB was depressed @2008, psf was like 160/= for my cluster house. At that point of time , JB market was like under value by a big margin. Today 2012 you say psf at Laguna 210/= , factor in inflation ,how can it be over value by a lot ? No worry bro , buy while you still can afford .

edragon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with bro jasonjst that financial gain should be your last priority. Squeeze out more savings in S$ and investing it in financial instruments to build up the retirement fund would be a better route.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am doing a lot of thinking... my situation.. i'm a single breadwinner and have wife and little kids. 40yrs..the age where if i lose my current job, i'll have to drive a taxi :eek:

some options..

1. get a condo in sg (S$800k?),
- for rental income (pay the property for itself should be easy).
- however, it is much costlier and
- empty out my rainy-day fund
- take longer time before fully paid (probably 20-30yrs.. would be 60-70yr old by then!)
- but can start rebuilding the rainy-day fund almost immediately cos of the rental income

2. get a cluster in my (RM$800k?),
- for own weekend stay, and retirement.
- kids will not likely want to stay cos of school/work (when they grow up).
- thus renting out hdb and stay here not likely (unable to let the property pay for itself/by hdb)
- renting out the cluster also not viable.. heard rental in my is not good.. may even need to top up damages/wear/tear
- hence have to pay out from my own pocket and
- take comparatively shorter time before fully paid but can only start rebuilding the rainy-day fund again after that (probably after 10-15yrs.. 50-near 60yr old already. but would i be able to keep my job till then :confused:)

3. don't get anything.. be contented with hdb... and save that money in bank, save the headache. consider renting in my instead when the time comes.

options 1 & 2 that require emptying out.. may have affordability issues when my kids reach university age.
option 2 is probably not feasible at all?

is my analysis correct?
i believe some bro/sis have gone thru that thinking process.. perhaps you can share yours/views?

and btw, for a cluster house, how much do you budget annually for maintenance costs? grass, roof, painting, electricals, etc. RM$5k to 10k?

bro, if your HDB mortgage has not been fully settled, would suggest u tackle that first before exploring options 1 and 2.

cheers.,

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
The hacking and tiling works generally looks high. I would suggest you look for a second quote just to be sure. Aircon dun look too bad. Nowadays, inverter and non-inverter aircon prices are not too far off...but imho, unless you are using multiroom aircons (eg system 3/4), there is not alot of savings from using inverter aircons. Esp since its single blower to single compressor, I would take the non-inverter as you will not see much savings.

A 'trick' I used for my HDB rooms is to use the cheapest parquet teak wood strips (2x8in) and ask the installer to lay them lengthwise and in a random fashion. This makes it look like wood strips rather than parquet. However teak wood strip flooring is very expensive. Feels the same and looks good.

Aircon can be repaired if you get a really good technician. You should also consider the total amp. Think about your final electrical bill month after month. Before deciding on which type of aircon. :smile:

TYVM for your advice. Anyway I am in the process of finalizing things with contractor and starting work asap. In quite a rush cos I'm in process of selling my HDB. See contractor, wait a week for a quote, another week to finalize things, another week to start and so on. Don't think I have time to consider another contractor.

Removed the really 'luxury' items from my list of works like the balcony. Think can get it all done for 120k now. Biggest cost for me are the flooring works as you pointed out, and then the kitchen.

BTW, Tutu, since I told my contractor I not going ahead with hacking and extending, he like bo chap to give me quote and I don't want to push it for now. PSPS.

- take longer time before fully paid (probably 20-30yrs.. would be 60-70yr old by then!)
- but can start rebuilding the rainy-day fund almost immediately cos of the rental income

- thus renting out hdb and stay here not likely (unable to let the property pay for itself/by hdb)
- renting out the cluster also not viable.. heard rental in my is not good.. may even need to top up damages/wear/tear
- take comparatively shorter time before fully paid but can only start rebuilding the rainy-day fund again after that (probably after 10-15yrs.. 50-near 60yr old already. but would i be able to keep my job till then :confused:)

3. don't get anything.. be contented with hdb... and save that money in bank, save the headache. consider renting in my instead when the time comes.

options 1 & 2 that require emptying out.. may have affordability issues when my kids reach university age.

I would rule out option 1 completely. Option 2 depends as Aisanbo said, on your confidence in Iskandar. If you believe it's like buying SG properties in the 80s, then close both eyes and jump in if you can afford to own it without sacrificing immediate family interests. Or as Jsaon suggest, go for something nearer the 500k mark than 800k.

option 3 is the safest without saying, but as others have also pointed out, absolutely do not just leave your money in the bank. If you want safe (or at least almost as safe as possible without buying Singapore Government Securities, or putting all your money into your special account), liquid investments that yield about 4% or much more are dime a dozen. Strictly on a hold-to-maturity basis though.

Last edited:

greddy88

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks everyone for your replies..

@asianbo:
yes.. retire there eventually.. if i dunk everything, i can pay nearly half that cluster house's price.. but that is a risk, meaning no more rainy-day savings, and i'm at the vulnerable age now.. i'm not in gahmen, no iron rice bowl..
that's why in a dilemma..looking at all the discussions in here.

@jasonjst:
yes.. that's a plus point i see in the community there. don't see that in sg.. in fact, many 'ft' crowded in my hdb fitness/playground area, keeping only to themselves.
financial gains isn't in my equation here, that's why i didn't put in my rough planning (it can go up/down.. just plan what i see i can afford with the cash on hand)
but if i can get some relief from the house (rental), why not? after all, i got dependents..or should i bochap them like some friends do.. let them take study loans in future?

@edragon:
thanks for your views.. yes, it is one of my considerations too.. but i am quite bad with investments. this time, i got to really consider my options. one wrong move means my entire lifetime savings gone..

@horizonhills:
my ultimate aim is to retire in a place that is not crowded, spacious, and cheap. but if doing this results in a degradation of the quality of life, then no point already.
consideration for kids going to school, and eventually they go uni or work.. it is not likely they will want to travel the causeway. that's why if i buy the house there, it will be vacant until we move in for retirement, in perhaps 20-25yrs time.
but considering to buy now is to avoid 'missing the boat' again should it go up in the future.
when that happens, i can really forget about getting out of a pigeon hole..

@yonglip:
yes, hdb already settled, thru cpf. right now focus is gearing towards retirement planning/kids education..

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, much opinions have been given by the bros. just wish to add on your point about "kids will not want to travel the causeway".

I think it's premature to conclude this, if they haven't experienced the lifestyle of a landed property vs the pigeon hole. And with the rosy plan of the mrt and the 3rd link, things shall only get better? Or course u will say that "if only" everything goes as planned. But if u should decide to move to JB, your confidence level shall be quite high, so let's not let the transport issue to bog u down. I note your statement on the "compromising quality of life". Even in sinkie, how much time does the youth stay at home nowadays? How much time do they really bond with family? This is talking in general. U might have a very closed family but eventually they will set up their own family, and u will still be at your pigeon hole, if all remains status quo. I admire your spirit that family should come on top of all your condiseration. Why not be slightly more selfish this time and plan something to your benefits AS WELL, while u still can? :smile: what if one day everything works out for u and your kids actually like the idea more than u can imagine? :smile:

@asianbo:
yes.. retire there eventually.. if i dunk everything, i can pay nearly half that cluster house's price.. but that is a risk, meaning no more rainy-day savings, and i'm at the vulnerable age now.. i'm not in gahmen, no iron rice bowl..

@jasonjst:
yes.. that's a plus point i see in the community there. don't see that in sg.. in fact, many 'ft' crowded in my hdb fitness/playground area, keeping only to themselves.
financial gains isn't in my equation here, that's why i didn't put in my rough planning (it can go up/down.. just plan what i see i can afford with the cash on hand)
but if i can get some relief from the house (rental), why not? after all, i got dependents..or should i bochap them like some friends do.. let them take study loans in future?

@edragon:
thanks for your views.. yes, it is one of my considerations too.. but i am quite bad with investments. this time, i got to really consider my options. one wrong move means my entire lifetime savings gone..

@horizonhills:
my ultimate aim is to retire in a place that is not crowded, spacious, and cheap. but if doing this results in a degradation of the quality of life, then no point already.
consideration for kids going to school, and eventually they go uni or work.. it is not likely they will want to travel the causeway. that's why if i buy the house there, it will be vacant until we move in for retirement, in perhaps 20-25yrs time.
but considering to buy now is to avoid 'missing the boat' again should it go up in the future.

@yonglip:
yes, hdb already settled, thru cpf. right now focus is gearing towards retirement planning/kids education..

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Dreamoraction, i would go for Laguna given that most developments have also risen up in prices, of course some more than the others.
I see great potential with Laguna but its up to individual.

As for cost savings, like what other bros have suggested, living here can really extend ones "miles" so to speak. Actually quite a few are already doing the daily commute and there are even van services and carpooling be it for school or for work.

Grilles is definitely a plus to have as a deterrent, cameras too. You can install them relatively cheaply. There is no 100% guarantee of course but it will give you a better peace of mind especially when travelling.

Bro Lglab, already cleared, sorry need to clear quite a bit as i do my best to reply to all. You can go through a maid agency and tell them you are not local, some agencies will fob you off by telling you you can't. There are legal ways to do this, just cost a bit more. Basically agency will "sub" out to a company who deals with maids and they will then get all the necessary documents for you so that the maid will essentially be working for them, just that they subbed her out to you. I have tenants and friends who are doing this now. Main caveat is to look out for crooked agencies, with the stricter laws these days, enforcement on crooked agencies are tighter but still caveat emptor. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
TYVM for your advice. Anyway I am in the process of finalizing things with contractor and starting work asap. In quite a rush cos I'm in process of selling my HDB. See contractor, wait a week for a quote, another week to finalize things, another week to start and so on. Don't think I have time to consider another contractor.

Removed the really 'luxury' items from my list of works like the balcony. Think can get it all done for 120k now. Biggest cost for me are the flooring works as you pointed out, and then the kitchen.

BTW, Tutu, since I told my contractor I not going ahead with hacking and extending, he like bo chap to give me quote and I don't want to push it for now. PSPS.

I would rule out option 1 completely. Option 2 depends as Aisanbo said, on your confidence in Iskandar. If you believe it's like buying SG properties in the 80s, then close both eyes and jump in if you can afford to own it without sacrificing immediate family interests. Or as Jsaon suggest, go for something nearer the 500k mark than 800k.

option 3 is the safest without saying, but as others have also pointed out, absolutely do not just leave your money in the bank. If you want safe (or at least almost as safe as possible without buying Singapore Government Securities, or putting all your money into your special account), liquid investments that yield about 4% or much more are dime a dozen. Strictly on a hold-to-maturity basis though.

Agree, i will always go for the safest way and if i decided to buy,i would go and get the biggest i can reasonably afford (if for own stay)
Don't over stretch it if its already beyond your budget. This is true for both renovation as well as for home buying. Notice i said home rather
than house because it should primarily still be for own stay rather than purely for investment.

Hi Teck, balcony, etc can be done at a later date especially if its mainly external work, after all its a freehold place so can do at your own pace. :smile:
I will make it a point to do all additional electrical, lighting, fan/aircon and kitchen(any other wetworks first), then get contractors to clean up and then
move in. Having too many small works (internal) will mess up your schedule as well as may warrant additional cleaning which may become a headache.

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Greddy88,

If your time horizon is 20-25yrs from now, then you probably should not rush in now.
Just imagine the upkeep for next 20-25yrs every month, when you leave the place empty 80% of the time... 800k, even in ringgit is not small money (at least to me).
As one gets older, perspectives change, so you probably can reconsider your options when your kids are older, your HDB fully paid up and you still have excess money for another property in JB that you can comfortably afford without affecting your lifestyle.

Alternatively, if all you want for is a place that is not crowded, spacious and cheap, why not venture further outside of JB?

There are other places like Melaka or Ipoh... really nice places too and generally safe, lots of chinese population (if that is a criteria), good food, medical facilities, etc... and if I am not mistaken, they do not have the 500k minimum for foreigners... maybe something like 250k or 300k minimum (please check yourself as I may be wrong here).

Certainly there are various options but I would say, get a stable footing first in Spore (fall-back scenario) before venturing next door ... and most importantly, your wife and family must buy in to your ideas and give you their support... otherwise it will be tougher than tough.

Good luck!

### Noted - you've paid up the HDB...
In this case, you should look at the various alternatives for sure.

Last edited:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, much opinions have been given by the bros. just wish to add on your point about "kids will not want to travel the causeway".

I think it's premature to conclude this, if they haven't experienced the lifestyle of a landed property vs the pigeon hole. And with the rosy plan of the mrt and the 3rd link, things shall only get better? Or course u will say that "if only" everything goes as planned. But if u should decide to move to JB, your confidence level shall be quite high, so let's not let the transport issue to bog u down. I note your statement on the "compromising quality of life". Even in sinkie, how much time does the youth stay at home nowadays? How much time do they really bond with family? This is talking in general. U might have a very closed family but eventually they will set up their own family, and u will still be at your pigeon hole, if all remains status quo. I admire your spirit that family should come on top of all your condiseration. Why not be slightly more selfish this time and plan something to your benefits AS WELL, while u still can? :smile: what if one day everything works out for u and your kids actually like the idea more than u can imagine? :smile:

The point about "kids will not want to travel the causeway".

I think it's premature to conclude this, if they haven't experienced the lifestyle of a landed property vs the pigeon hole.

Bro , I need to agree that kids might like this idea then most oldies . For the past few years , I have notice that it is actually the youngest that convice /support the oldies to move over. I was surprised when my relatives come to my JB house , the kids got no objection at all when their parent mooted the idea that they move to JB ! Two of the Singaporean neighours , their children are age between 15 to 20 plus , moving in and out frequently.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal

@asianbo:

@jasonjst:

@edragon:

@horizonhills:

@yonglip:

Bro,..ok since HDB fully paid,..now can talk about Option 1 and 2.

I am also in your age group ,..so i think i can empathise better,..haha.

If u ask me, both options 1 and 2 are viable paths to the same destination. Its just which is more palatable given your circumstances.

Lets look at option 1:

U did mention half a cluster i.e. RM400K so i presume u have close to SGD200K in idle cash which u wanna make full use of. Nobody dumps all the cash in bro,...would suggest u keep half for truly rainy days and use the other half for investment. so effectively we are talking about SGD100K here bro. for condos even at SGD800K, you will need about close to SGD200K as downpayment + stamp/legal, paid in part by cash/cpf. since u mentioned HDB fully paid with CPF, i presume CPF is close to empty. so cash wise, you may not be ready financially for the condo bro.

That leaves us with Option 2:

At RM600K...even at 30% down, it is about SGD100K upfront with legal/stamp and even basic reno included. Monthly payments is about SGD800 or SGD10,000 per year. If you travel with your family once/twice a year, you will know that it can easily cost SGD10,000 for the trips. So u can view this SGD10K as travelling/holiday expenses. The difference is your whole family get to chop passport at least once a week and enjoy a short getaway in a bigger space...one of the cheapest and best ways to bond as a family. More importantly, u have a landed home + HDB waiting for u when u retire.

happy deciding bro,..haha.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks much bro wuqi. That's a big doze of confidence booster! Thank u!

Dreamoraction, i would go for Laguna given that most developments have also risen up in prices, of course some more than the others.
I see great potential with Laguna but its up to individual.

As for cost savings, like what other bros have suggested, living here can really extend ones "miles" so to speak. Actually quite a few are already doing the daily commute and there are even van services and carpooling be it for school or for work.

Grilles is definitely a plus to have as a deterrent, cameras too. You can install them relatively cheaply. There is no 100% guarantee of course but it will give you a better peace of mind especially when travelling.

Bro Lglab, already cleared, sorry need to clear quite a bit as i do my best to reply to all. You can go through a maid agency and tell them you are not local, some agencies will fob you off by telling you you can't. There are legal ways to do this, just cost a bit more. Basically agency will "sub" out to a company who deals with maids and they will then get all the necessary documents for you so that the maid will essentially be working for them, just that they subbed her out to you. I have tenants and friends who are doing this now. Main caveat is to look out for crooked agencies, with the stricter laws these days, enforcement on crooked agencies are tighter but still caveat emptor. :smile:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think if you want to hear from the horse's mouth (from the perspective of a youth and gen Y), no one knows better than bro lastresort. But he is busy preparing for exam now so he might not respond. Bro lastresort, have a second to say hello? :wink:

The point about "kids will not want to travel the causeway".

I think it's premature to conclude this, if they haven't experienced the lifestyle of a landed property vs the pigeon hole.

Bro , I need to agree that kids might like this idea then most oldies . For the past few years , I have notice that it is actually the youngest that convice /support the oldies to move over. I was surprised when my relatives come to my JB house , the kids got no objection at all when their parent mooted the idea that they move to JB ! Two of the Singaporean neighours , their children are age between 15 to 20 plus , moving in and out frequently.

JBhome

Alfrescian
Loyal
Consider Renting out HDB but keep a room for : Kids Edu
& yr own stay. The rental Income may help to pay off the MY property. This is a lifestyle trade off.

i am doing a lot of thinking... my situation.. i'm a single breadwinner and have wife and little kids. 40yrs..the age where if i lose my current job, i'll have to drive a taxi :eek:

some options..

is my analysis correct?
i believe some bro/sis have gone thru that thinking process.. perhaps you can share yours/views?

and btw, for a cluster house, how much do you budget annually for maintenance costs? grass, roof, painting, electricals, etc. RM$5k to 10k?

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think if you want to hear from the horse's mouth (from the perspective of a youth and gen Y), no one knows better than bro lastresort. But he is busy preparing for exam now so he might not respond. Bro lastresort, have a second to say hello? :wink:

i think young dragon only go in on weekends not daily basis...

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Consider Renting out HDB but keep a room for : Kids Edu
& yr own stay. The rental Income may help to pay off the MY property. This is a lifestyle trade off.

This is what i am doing ...
Renting my parents' HDB out and stay in JB.. while the installment is $1100 SGD.

HDB whole unit can be rented out for $2200 ..

So gain $1100 converted to RM will be 2640RM
That can be used to cover daily expenses and stuffs while you save 100% of your salary.

Too tough in singapore, he is very much like me.
I am only age 28 but i have the following liability

1. Parents both aged 73 and aged 70. They both suffer medical problems such as parkinson disease and aorta problem, osteoporosis and etc..
2. My foreign wife aged 28, where the sinkies government refused to grant her PR and want her to reside in sinkies in LTVP
3. MY kid only 6 months old.
4. Still paying my own HDB which I need to fork $280 cash to pay for it after deduction from CPF.

I am the only sole breadwinner. .. and as aged 28 , of cus my earning power will definately be much lower than age 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.