• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Liverpool Season 2009-10

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
that is why,i am saying....we should just forget about everything - FA Cup and Europa League and concentrate fully on securing the 3rd or 4th place.

Like that, you might as well support Spurs, Aston Villa.:rolleyes:
Yet these same supporters can claim to all
that Loserpool is still a "BIG" club.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why so quiet today? everybody went to sleep with two red cocks in their mouth issit?

lancheowman, lancheowman2, lanchwmn, lnchwmn2, lnchwmn4, lnchwmn_only, lnchwmn_returns, lnchwmn_rules

So did you manage to find your balls? Or you got no balls at all in the first place? Oh i forgot you left your ballsathome :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is no need to post these type of posts.
each set of supporters will have their own opinion.
so it is still best to post whatever opinion you have in your thread,rather than coming here and trying to stir up something.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
lancheowman, lancheowman2, lanchwmn, lnchwmn2, lnchwmn4, lnchwmn_only, lnchwmn_returns, lnchwmn_rules

so did you manage to find your balls? Or you got no balls at all in the first place? Oh i forgot you left your ballsathome :d:d:d

i found them where i left them; one in your mother's smelly chee bye and the other in your mouth:d

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hyppia is doing extremely well this season at Bayer Leverkusen. I think they have a great chance of finally breaking their duck with a maiden Bundesliga title.

I dun think its so much about Torres, Gerrard or Benayoun playing. They were used against Fiorentina and Pool was soundly beaten. It was up to the rest of the players to step up to the plate. Skrtel who played remarkably well last season is not the same player this season. The combo of Skrtel, Agger and Carragher for some reason lack the understanding that they had last season. On hindsight, perhaps they should have retained Hyppia. I do believe this bad run will end but certainly not through a change in manager.

G

General Veers

Rafa Benitez Guarantees Liverpool Will Finish In The Top Four

Rafa Benitez Guarantees Liverpool Will Finish In The Top Four

Reds boss in no doubt his team will reach Champions League again…

Dec 15, 2009 4:59:06 PM
<!--h3>Kooi Soon Leong</h3-->

63466_news.jpg

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has pledged to supporters that his team will finish in the top four of the Premier League this season. A weekend defeat to Arsenal has deepened the gloom at Anfield, and questions are increasingly being asked as to Benitez's ability to manage the club. But the Spaniard was in bullish mood at his press conference today and felt that hard work from him and his players was the only way of battling through the current problems. "Every game for us is one we have to win. Our mentality, our idea, is to try and win every game," he affirmed. "Sometimes you can, sometimes you cannot, but you can't be negative - you have to think about the positives. "The manager has to be positive and I am. But how can I change things? By working harder and doing my best every single day. The players they know this, and they are doing the same. We are working together.

"I can guarantee we will finish in the top four. "I am 100 per sure our fans are very clever and they know the way to improve and change things is to support and stay behind the team," he said. "The fans will always be with the club because it is a massive club and we have the best fans in the world. "We have to perform on the pitch and it will be easier for them to support the team. "Ever since I arrived here, I have been really proud. Every time we go to another country, you can see what Liverpool means to everyone - like in Asia for example. "The fans will be disappointed (with current form), and we are disappointed too because we want to improve and win games. The only way to change things is to keep working together." Liverpool welcome Wigan Athletic to Anfield on Wednesday evening. Benitez maintains that his team have targeted victory and believes that the Latics' inconsistency could prove their downfall. "We will play at Anfield, we are a top side and we know we have to perform," he added.

"If Wigan come here, play well and get a point maybe they will be happy, but for us we will try to do our best and try to win. "Wigan are a team who are doing well in attack, but they are also conceding goals. Consistency is the key if you want to stay in the Premier League." And the spirit in the Reds camp apparently remains high, with Benitez taking the positives from the defeat to Arsenal. "The mood is very good. I think the first-half [against Arsenal] was so good that you have to take the positives from this game and try to play at the same level. "I am sure we will win games if we can play at the same level as in the first-half. "We have to improve if we can, and if we make mistakes, we have to keep going. "There are still 22 games to play, and we know we have to change our target. Now it is to try and get three points against Wigan and then start thinking about Portsmouth."

Zack Wilson, Goal.com UK

G

General Veers

Jamie Carragher: I'm praying to God in bid to save Liverpool's season from becoming a nightmare

By John Edwards
Last updated at 10:18 AM on 15th December 2009

Jamie Carragher described his torment at Liverpool’s worsening plight and revealed: ‘I am praying to God it all proves worthwhile at the end of the season.’

Liverpool’s long-serving defender made no attempt to conceal the crisis engulfing his club after a 2-1 defeat by Arsenal left them in seventh place, 13 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.

Conceding that confidence had been shredded by just three wins from their past 15 games, Carragher admitted they may need divine intervention to make up ground and salvage a place in next season’s Champions League.

article-1235691-07969357000005DC-634_468x313.jpg

Another blow: Jamie Carrgher (right) looks on after Arsenal's equaliser

‘It is going to be a grind at times between now and May, but it is clear what must be done,’ he said.

‘We have to stick together, show some character and, as I am doing, pray to God that at the end of the season there will be something worthwhile for all we have been through.

'We’ve got to dust ourselves down and move on because, when you look at the quality of our players and stature of the club, it is clear we should be doing better.

‘It is tough at the moment, but part of being a Liverpool player is having character in abundance. We have to show what we are about now, try to make sure we beat Wigan on Wednesday then turn our sights to Portsmouth on Saturday.

'I’ve tried too many times down the years to work things out, so I’ll look no further forward.

'We all need to look at ourselves, though, and realise we’ve got to do much better.’

Worryingly for Liverpool, Carragher admitted manager Rafa Benitez had been able to field a full-strength side against Arsenal, without finding the winning formula.

article-1235691-0796AC26000005DC-649_468x334.jpg

Tough times: Carragher battles with Arsenal's Andrey Arshavin

‘That was probably as strong a side as we have,’ he said.
‘But there were one or two players still to reach 100 per cent fitness. What we need now is to be able to call on that line-up on a regular basis and try and produce the form we showed in the first half.
‘If we can do that, and steer clear of any further injuries, I’m sure we will win a good few games between now and the end of the season. We have had to contend with a fair bit — injuries, own goals and the beach ball at Sunderland — but we can’t look for excuses. If we can grind out a few results it could all change round.’

Jurgen Klinsmann, critical of Benitez last week, has warned he could be after the Liverpool manager’s job next summer.

The former Germany and Bayern Munich coach was interviewed by owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks two years ago and has been linked as a contender should Benitez’s situation change again.

He said: ‘Things happen quickly in football and maybe I’ll be able to take on a new challenge in the game after the World Cup.’

G

General Veers

Liverpool 1 Arsenal 2: Rafa fails to make the cut! Like Tiger Woods, it goes from bad to worse for Benitez

By Matt Lawton
Last updated at 2:41 AM on 14th December 2009

Rafa Benitez must be starting to feel a bit like Tiger Woods. That feeling one endures when you think it can’t get any worse and it does. In Tiger’s case, they keep coming out of the woodwork. In Rafa’s, they’re flying in off the woodwork. But it’s nightmares all round. With no mute button to silence the doomsayers on this occasion, Liverpool’s manager had to listen to the sound of yet another defeat.

article-0-0796ADD5000005DC-810_468x286.jpg

Top Gunner: Arshavin smashes the ball past Johnson and into the net for Arsenal's winning goal

The cries of joy from the away supporters. Not to mention a few cruel jibes. ‘Thursday night, Channel Five,’ they sang in reference to Liverpool’s demotion to the Europa League. Out of the Champions League, Benitez needs to now accept that his side are out of the title race, too. That for all the second chances his side have been given by rivals also dropping points in this most unpredictable season, the last of them was probably squandered here when Andrey Arshavin unleashed a stunning right-foot shot that flew home via the inside of Pepe Reina’s right-hand post. Six defeats in 16 Barclays Premier League games mean they have lost more matches than Stoke City, and that is not terribly encouraging for a team that had designs on the championship.

article-0-0796AD39000005DC-963_468x286.jpg

Oh dear: Glen Johnson puts through his own net

Title contenders need confidence to maintain a sustained challenge and only one team had it here. The team that responded not just to the absence of all their strikers and a desperate first half, but a few stirring words from a manager who thought it was time to question their right to wear the shirt. ‘After 13 years, it is good I can still surprise them,’ said Arsene Wenger of his Arsenal charges with a wry smile. The same accusation could be levelled at a few Liverpool players who simply crumbled when Glen Johnson scored the 50th-minute own goal that cancelled out the advantage that had been secured by Dirk Kuyt’s first-half strike. Even Wenger identified the problem. ‘They do not have the confidence of last year,’ he said after watching a team that had dominated the first half and yet failed to manage a single shot on target in the second.

article-0-07968060000005DC-492_468x286.jpg

Red letter: Dirk Kuyt put Liverpool in front

While Arsenal overcame the absence of injured Robin van Persie and Nicklas Bendtner with a committed, composed performance after the break, Liverpool had not a hint of that fighting spirit and only a fraction of the class. Arsenal excelled in the form of players like Thomas Vermaelen, Cesc Fabregas and Arshavin. Liverpool most certainly did not. And this time they could not blame it on the catalogue of injuries that so undermined their efforts to progress any further in Europe.Fernando Torres was back alongside Steven Gerrard for the first time since October 4 and when Kuyt crowned a decent opening 41 minutes with a well-deserved goal, it did seem that they might capitalise on the points that had been dropped by Manchester United and Chelsea on Saturday by inflicting a defeat on Arsenal, too. But this Liverpool side has not been right all season and it owes much to the absence of the chap who just happened to be sitting at the back of the directors’ box.

article-0-0796AF8F000005DC-25_468x286.jpg

Dejected: Fit again Fernando Torres couldn't halt Liverpool's alarming slide

The chap who made the team tick before leaving to join Real Madrid. Like Benitez, Xabi Alonso probably thought that his former colleagues deserved a penalty before Kuyt seized on a mistake by keeper Manuel Almunia. But he must have been staggered by the decline of a team that pushed United so hard in the Premier League last season, by their inability not just to build on a lead, but also their failure to react when Arsenal somehow got their noses in front. For the first 45 minutes, Arsenal really did offer nothing, the loss of Van Persie and Bendtner leaving Arshavin in a role for which he was never intended.

‘He looks like a kid among men out there,’ remarked one former member of the once great Anfield Boot Room, and he was right. Liverpool should have been had this sewn up by the break. Torres wasted a wonderful opportunity to score after a delightful one-two with Gerrard, uncharacteristically guiding his shot straight at Almunia. And when William Gallas clattered into Gerrard a minute later, Howard Webb really should have pointed to the penalty spot. Gerrard was not amused. The skipper then failed to convert when Kuyt presented him with a chance to strike, but he did at least follow that by winning the free-kick that led to Kuyt’s goal. Fabio Aurelio delivered from the right, Lucas challenged, Almunia flapped the ball into the path of Kuyt and the Dutch international drove the ball home. One blast of Wenger’s hair dryer, however, and the game changed dramatically, even if it did take a Johnson own goal to shift the balance of power. A cross came in from the right from Samir Nasri and, after taking a slight deflection first off Jamie Carragher and then Theo Walcott, the unfortunate Johnson guided the ball past a wrong-footed Reina.

If Johnson was feeling pretty wretched then, he must have felt even worse when his failure to control a cross from Fabregas suddenly enabled Arshavin to spin and score. Great technique, appalling defending. A real horror show for Liverpool. That the Anfield team were so lame in their response made this all the more depressing for Benitez. That Alberto Aquilani looked nothing like as impressive as that aforementioned chap in the stand would have only added to the sense of misery.

article-1235515-07971E50000005DC-947_468x776.jpg

Body language

Afterwards Wenger said it was not a ‘three-horse race’ but ‘four or five’. Presumably he was not including Liverpool.

LIVERPOOL (4-4-1-1): Reina 6; Johnson 4 (Degen 82min), Carragher 5, Agger 6, Aurelio 6; Kuyt 6, Lucas 6, Mascherano 7 (Aquilani 66, 6), Benayoun 6 (Ngog 79); Gerrard 6; Torres 5. Booked: Mascherano.

ARSENAL (4-2-3-1): Almunia 5; Sagna 6, Gallas 6, Vermaelen 8, Traore 6 (Silvestre 87); Fabregas 7, Song 6; Walcott 6 (Diaby 70, 6), Denilson 6, Nasri 7; Arshavin 7 (Ramsey 90).

Booked: Denilson, Arshavin, Nasri.

Man of the match: Thomas Vermaelen.

Referee: Howard Webb.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is going from bad to worse for Liverpool at the moment.
a massive change of owners and manager maybe the answer.

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Champions League 2nd round Draws:

Stuttgart vs Barcelona
Olympiakos vs Bordeaux
Inter Milan vs Chelsea
Bayern vs Fiorentina
CSKA Moscow vs Sevilla
Lyon vs Real Madrid
Porto vs Arsenal
A.C. Milan vs Manchester United

16158_1298659984387_1167015058_30896085_5097981_n.jpg

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
finally a win although it is not a very good performance.
but a win is still a win and most important 3 pts.

jw5

Loyal
finally a win although it is not a very good performance.
but a win is still a win and most important 3 pts.
Torres looked very petulent throughout the game. He needs to knuckle down if he wants to make a solid contribution.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
another win and again not a very good performance by the team.
must really thanks Reina for keeping us in the match.
Torres finally scored his 50th EPL goals.
a win is still a win,another most important is 3 pts in the bag again.

hope that we can continue this winning way in 2010

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Pool should clear their manager instead of star players:

Rafael Benítez admits Liverpool could have to sell Fernando Torres

• Failure to finish in top four could force the club's hand
• 'We have to do the best for the club,' Benítez says

Fernando-Torres-001.jpg
Rafael Benítez previously said Fernando Torres was 'not for sale at any price'. Photograph: Nick Wilkinson/EPA

Rafael Benítez has admitted that he cannot guarantee he will be able to keep Fernando Torres at Liverpool if the club fail to finish in the top four of the Premier League this season.
The Liverpool manager said earlier in the campaign that Torres was "not for sale at any price" but has now acknowledged that key players could leave if he does not secure qualification for the Champions League. "Finishing in the top four is the key to keeping everyone together," Benítez said.
Asked whether Liverpool, who have significant debts, would be able to resist a £100m offer from Manchester City for Torres, he said: "At the moment we have to do the best for the club – and the best for the club is trying to improve the squad."
But when pressed for a second time on the matter, he replied: "We would have conversations if we had to decide about this."
That appeared to be a reference to talks with the co-owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, who loaded on to the club the £174m they borrowed for their takeover. A failure to qualify for the Champions League would have a damaging impact on Liverpool's finances.

G

General Veers

Liverpool ousted from FA Cup by 2nd-tier Reading

2 hours, 31 minutes ago

LONDON (AP)—Liverpool’s troubled season took another turn for the worse when it was eliminated from the FA Cup on Wednesday night with a 2-1 loss to second-tier Reading in their third-round replay. Steven Gerrard’s deflected shot off defender Ryan Bertrand put the Reds ahead in first-half stoppage time, but Reading tied the score in the fourth minute of second half stoppage time when Yossi Benayoun fouled Shane Long in the penalty area, and Gylfi Sigurdsson converted the penalty kick. Reading, which had never won at Anfield, went ahead Long scored from six yards in the 100th minute. Liverpool forward Fernando Torres left in the 29th minute because of a twisted knee inside the first 30 minutes and Gerrard departed at halftime with what was thought to be a strained hamstring. Owned by Americans Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr., Liverpool had tied 1-1 at Reading, causing the replay. The only trophy Liverpool realistically can win is the Europa League. Manager Rafa Benitez’s team already has been eliminated from the European Champions League and the English League Cup, and it is seventh in the Premier League at 10-7-3, in danger of missing next season’s Champions League. “We have to think about the future,” a downbeat Benitez said after losing to a club with a 5-11-8 League Championship record, one place above the relegation zone. “We will try to do our best.” Reading plays Burnley in the fourth round fixture In Wednesday’s other third-round replay, Newcastle beat Plymouth 3-0 and will go to West Bromwich Albion on Jan. 23. Peter Lovenkrands scored three goals for the Magpies, who extended their unbeaten streak to 13 games.

<small>Spain</small>
MADRID (AP)—Barcelona exited its first competition under coach Pep Guardiola, getting eliminated from the Copa del Rey despite a 1-0 victory over Sevilla 1-0. The home-and-home series ended 2-2, and Sevilla advanced over defending champion Barcelona on away goals. Xavi Hernandez scored in the 64th minute, chesting Ndri Romaric’s weak clearance and curling a shot past the goalkeeper Andres Palop. Lionel Messi hit a post and Zlatan Ibrahimovic missed an open net. Palop denied Messi in the closing moments. “We eliminated, without a doubt, the best team in the world,” Sevilla winger Diego Capel said. Barcelona won an unprecedented six major trophies in 2008-09, its first season under Guardiola. Sevilla will play Deportivo La Coruna, which tied Valencia 2-2 and advanced on 4-3 aggregate. Third-tier Alcorcon, which eliminated Real Madrid out in the previous round, tied 0-0 at Racing Santander and lost on 3-2 aggregate. Racing will play Osasuna, which defeated second-division leader Hercules 1-0 on Masoud Soleimani’s 49th-minute goal. The aggregate was 2-2, and Osasuna advanced on away goals. Roberto Soldado scored twice as Getafe routed Malaga 5-1 to 6-3. ^France- PARIS (AP)—Montpellier (10-6-3) missed the chance to move into second place in the French league, losing 4-0 at Monaco. Sebastien Puygrenier scored in the 11th minute, Lukman Haruna added two second-half goals and Diego Perez completed the rout. for Monaco (9-7-3), which moved into seventh place. In Wednesday’s other match, Boulogne was held to a 0-0 tie by visiting Sochaux (8-9-1). Boulogne (3-12-4) remained in the relegation zone in 19th place.

G

General Veers

Liverpool sign Rodriguez

Sport
Home > Breaking News > Sport > Story
Jan 14, 2010

Liverpool sign Rodriguez

<!-- by line --> <!-- end by line --> LIVERPOOL - ARGENTINA international winger Maxi Rodriguez left Atletico Madrid for Liverpool on Wednesday as the English Premier League giants attempted to rescue their faltering season. The 29-year-old Rodriguez, who has moved on a free transfer, signed a three-and-a-half-year deal with Rafael Benitez's side after spending four years in the Spanish capital. 'We were looking for players with character and a good mentality,' said Benitez whose team are seventh in the Premier League and five points off the Champions League places. 'He has played for Argentina and Atletico Madrid and is a player with personality. He can play in three positions - on the right, left or as a second striker - and is someone with a very positive mentality, which is what we are looking for.' 'He is comfortable on the ball, can pass and keep possession. He is good at getting into the box and scoring goals and a good finisher. Every year he gets five to 15 goals from the right side of midfield. 'I know he was not doing as well as he did in the past at Atletico Madrid, but he is doing really well with Argentina and wants to impress for the World Cup.' -- AFP