• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Liverpool Season 2009-10

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Manchester United 2 Liverpool 1

7 games left in season and any hope of 4th place is gone by now, not even 5th place, if we look at the table now realistically.

4. Tottenham Hotspur - 30 games / 55 points
5. Manchester City - 29 games / 53 points
6. Liverpool - 31 games / 51 points
7. Aston Villa - 29 games / 50 points

Oh my god!!
Double figures Losses in the League this season.
Look, even their old hero is taking a piss out of them.:eek:

25514107589332592115100.jpg

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Manchester United 2 Liverpool 1

7 games left in season and any hope of 4th place is gone by now, not even 5th place, if we look at the table now realistically.

Torres the bloody loser!!
Kicking away the penalty spot marking
Is there a need to do that?
1st time in my life, i see a player do that!!
Not even given a yellow card for that.:mad:
Hope and pray they lose the 4th spot!!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Torres the bloody loser!!
Kicking away the penalty spot marking
Is there a need to do that?
1st time in my life, i see a player do that!!
Not even given a yellow card for that.:mad:
Hope and pray they lose the 4th spot!!

4th? I don't think so. 6th should be best to look for and 7th or worse more likely. Could be a blessing in disguise for them. Finally can see it's well past time to get rid of that Benidiotez.

jw5

Loyal
Liverpool fans or any football fans here,

I'll like to ask your opinions on 2 things:

1. Do you think Liverpool will finish 4th in the BPL this season?

2. What do you think is wrong with the team? What should be done to change things?

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun think there is a reason why Pool is singled out to be suffering. It is normal for a club to suffer a downturn. Soon it will be Manu's turn when Fergie retires and Manu finds themselves in the same predicament as Portsmouth. Their successful and departing manager leaving them with a mountain of debts.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now we can fully appreciate how fucking steep the fight to make 4th is.

We wish ill-fortune for our rivals - we almost had it all :-
Man City lost to Everton, Villa drawn but Spurs still win.

Outcome:- Man Cit, Spurs & Villa all have 1 game in hand over us while Spurs is 4 pts ahead, City is 2 ahead & Villa 1 pt behind. We are still slated to be 7th.

If all win their game in hand, Pool will be 7 pts from 4th, virtually impossible to overcome with 8 games left :mad:

Meantime, latecomers Everton is a mere 3 points behind Liverpool :eek:.... Toffees really a spirited lot hate to say that .....

Yet, all Liverpool fans can say is sack Benitez, sack owners, fuck all ....
Come on, we want a team of Carraghers :mad: !

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This Saturday, Liverpool would hope for Chelesea to help them by beating Aston Villa. This Sunday, if Liverpool don't take all 3 points off Sunderland, they have themselves to blame for it's the end.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Liverpool fans or any football fans here,

I'll like to ask your opinions on 2 things:

1. Do you think Liverpool will finish 4th in the BPL this season?

2. What do you think is wrong with the team? What should be done to change things?

First, they underestimated the defensive quality of Xabi Alonso.Second, for some unknown reason they can't seem to find a balanced combo for central defenders. Rafa is just as perplexed as they are the same set of defenders that saw them go on an amazing run last season to finish runner-up. In so many words, I think they were the victims of their own success. Carragher plays like a man possessed and he rarely trust his partner in central defence. This is evident in the bust up with Arbeloa last season and the numerous challenges both central defenders have made which only resulted in confusion among the back four. Carragher would do alot of good if he learns to respect his colleagues by not exhibiting his frustration or some may call it 'passion' by pushing and shoving.

Last, some players should shoulder the blame more than others simply becos they've been kept sideline through injury or at worse claimed they're not fit to play.Nando comes to mind and his latest sanguine but somewhat condescending comment about the need for 4 quality players just isn't helping the Red's cause.

Everything that could go wrong went mayhem with this club-from contract extension, ownership disputes to the simplest of all player acquisition. I thot that old fart owns that distinction of profligacy ie. until Rafa came along. Why on earth did he buy players he does not even want to use and only to sell them months later???

Calling for Rafa to be sacked will only work to the owner's advantage and that is exactly what they want.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun think there is a reason why Pool is singled out to be suffering. It is normal for a club to suffer a downturn. Soon it will be Manu's turn when Fergie retires and Manu finds themselves in the same predicament as Portsmouth. Their successful and departing manager leaving them with a mountain of debts.

Yes brudder, you can draw parallels with the financial markets, just like the peaks and troughs that you see @ every quarter,every season and every year. As long as the fundamentals are sound, you will continue to ascend.

As far as mountain of debts is concerned, think 'bailout' and the RED KNIGHTS come to mind.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am sick of 'Sack Rafa' rants so i won't join in.

That said, he was a good choice in '05 to replace Houllier.

The 05 CL win prematurely cemented Rafa's mantle as Pool Saviour.
Bringing Pool to CL Final again in 07 further boosted his rep.

But I dun like his colorless personality - no charisma can't inspire players, poor man-manager. No the 'blood,sweat,tears type'.

His buying record generally poor.
Torres, Pepe, Xabi Alonso, Peter Crouch are the best.
Luis Garcia, Ryan Babel, Dick Kyut never fulfilled their full potential under him.
As for Voronin, Robbie Keane, this injured italian .....poor buys or why bother?

Get Pool back on even keel & leave on a respectable note ...
Rafa is not the 'Saviour' for a new Liverpool ....
Frankly, I dunno who can be :(

The Moores & the rest that sold out to the Americans are the TRUE culprits .... should have sold to the Middle Easterners or not at all .... at least debt free.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The miracle for 4th has not totally vanished ....

after all, who would have thought Villa would squander their game in hand & lose 1-7 to Chelski ?

Yes, Spurs now 7 pts ahead, City 2 ahead with game in hand - let's see them squander their game in hand as well....

Villa & Pool equal in games played & points but Pool ahead at last on goal diff.

So Pool up to 6th from 7th...

Meantime Arsenal .... dun malu yrself & let the other top 2 have it their way...

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
overall good weekend of EPL results for Liverpool.

Now 5th, 4 pts behind Spurs. Of course, Man City at 6th can overtake us with their 2 games in hand - but a point in hand is worth 2 on paper....

Come on Spurs & Rednap, your turn to kalang-kabut leow :biggrin:
Arse luck must share share between the contenders for 4th, thank you, Liverpool had had enough this season..... help yourselves the rest ....:cool:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
overall good weekend of EPL results for Liverpool.

Now 5th, 4 pts behind Spurs. Of course, Man City at 6th can overtake us with their 2 games in hand - but a point in hand is worth 2 on paper....

Come on Spurs & Rednap, your turn to kalang-kabut leow :biggrin:
Arse luck must share share between the contenders for 4th, thank you, Liverpool had had enough this season..... help yourselves the rest ....:cool:

Spurs still have to play Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal. I think they cannot hold on to 4th spot. I will put $$ on Man City

jw5

Loyal
Man Utd are in a tight financial situation, but they will not be like Portsmouth. Portsmouth attracts crowds of 20+ thousand, Man Utd attracts crowds of 60+ thousand and their revenue generating capabilities are incomparable. But you are right to point out about the managers. It seems that in most circles, Redknapp has seemed to get away with little or no fleck for his time as manager, but should he not together with the other senior management, be jointly responsible for the inflated cost structure at Portsmouth? Similarly, Fergie should also be held accountable, although to be fair, I think he is more aware of such matters and more in control given the fact that it's Man Utd.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
First, they underestimated the defensive quality of Xabi Alonso.Second, for some unknown reason they can't seem to find a balanced combo for central defenders.
Calling for Rafa to be sacked will only work to the owner's advantage and that is exactly what they want.
I don't totally agree.
I think they miss Alonso more for his creative qualities especially his long and short range passing. But he is not a bad defender, able to cut off passes and intercept attacks quite ably. He plays rather like Carrick at Man Utd, except that Alonso is much more skilful and a better passer than Carrick. Their central defenders are fine, Agger and Carragher are good in my opinion, and they cover for each other's inadequacies. Carragher is slow but he is brave and reads the game well, Agger is athletic and quick, but he is a bit careless.

I don't want to be another Benitez basher, but I think his negative tactics and micro management are the problem. Don't agree that he has bought bad players, he bought Torres, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Benyoun, Reina, Babel, who are all very good players. In my opinion, Reina, Gerrard and Torres are all the best players in their positions in the BPL. Also don't agree that he is a bad man manager, lots of managers are more arrogant and egoistic than he is. He is a great tactical coach, but I think the problem is that he overdoes this during game time and at the start of games. His full backs before Johnson never crossed the halfway line. He starts with 2 defensive midfielders, and 1 grafter in Kyut at right wing, meaning that he effectively has 8 defensive players and only 3 attacking players to start any game. If the team starts well, great. If not, they find it hard to get back in the game, and he only makes changes in the 80th minute onwards. He needs to stop micro managing tactics and let his quality players go out and dominate the game and win the game quickly. Then he can start managing the tactics.

Having said that, I think Liverpool can still get 4th place. They have the best players anyway among the 4 challengers, in my opinion.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Great goals by Torres, but a bit too late for anything now, LOL :biggrin::biggrin:
Will he consider going to Man U? LOL, we'll trade Berbatov for him, LOL :p:p:p

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't totally agree........
I don't want to be another Benitez basher, but I think his negative tactics and micro management are the problem. Don't agree that he has bought bad players, he bought Torres, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Benyoun, Reina, Babel, who are all very good players. In my opinion, Reina, Gerrard and Torres are all the best players in their positions in the BPL.

Oh yes, in view of the players you mentioned that I have missed, agree with you his buying record not too bad but not good either... at most mixed. Of course budget is one major factor.

But you must agree with me, Robbie Keane is a veri strange buy, isn't it ? This Aquillano Italian guy, buying him while he is recuperating from injury, big waste of time & money also, no?

Also don't agree that he is a bad man manager lots of managers are more arrogant and egoistic than he is........
Nothing to do with arrogance/ego, man-manager in my book means ability to rouse & inspire - like Brian Clough or Fergie. Rafa is not this type, he is a nerdish manager who even when winning CL'05, couldn't experience sponteneous joy yet still obsessed with what Stevie did or did not do. A technically-inclined man not a spirit- inspiration man.

8 defensive players and only 3 attacking players to start any game. If the team starts well, great. If not, they find it hard to get back in the game, and he only makes changes in the 80th minute onwards.
Very insightful. It happens Torres & Steveie G are world-class attackers so goals scored masked the essentially defensive-playing instinct of Rafa. Like you say, if Pool don't start well in that 80 min or makes mistakes & start to trail, most times Rafa is lost.

Having said that, I think Liverpool can still get 4th place. They have the best players anyway among the 4 challengers, in my opinion.
My friend, best players count for nothing now. It is form & circumstance. Even as I type this, with a game in hand over Liverpool, Spurs & ManCity are 4 & 1 pt ahead respectively.
In fact, City just wacked Wigan 3-0 courtesy of Tavez last night.

I hope the Spurs & City drop points soon while Pool keep winning to the end .... but number of games lesser & lesser by the day ...
My comments embedded in bold.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Liverpool's run-in games:

Birmingham v. A
H v. Fulham
H v. West Ham
Burnley v. A
H v. Chelsea
Hull City v. A

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't totally agree.
I think they miss Alonso more for his creative qualities especially his long and short range passing.
Alonso is more efficient than creative with his passing abilities. He's the launching pad for counter attacking moves and yes he plays the same role as Carrick @ United. He's quite adept at getting opponents sent off which is a plus if u are a pool fan He's shooting ability is only second to Gerard.

Their central defenders are fine, Agger and Carragher are good in my opinion, and they cover for each other's inadequacies.
I disagree. The defenders this season have conceded match deciding goals. This in part was due to the inexplicable loss of form and injuries to Agger and more importantly to Martin Skrtel whom I thot had a dream debut and was easily Pool's best defender last season. They did immensely well last season and that was always going to be difficult to repeat given the problems and the limited options that they have.

I don't want to be another Benitez basher, but I think his negative tactics and micro management are the problem.
Why do you say he micro-manages? How so? I read somewhere that Dirk Kuyt makes it to the final 11 consistently because 'he plays to instructions' and that was Rafa's reply when he was asked by the reporter why the dutch man was selected despite his indifferent form. If his sideline gestures are evidence of micro-managing, then the likes of Mourinho, Moyes, O'Neil, Mancini and others are guilty.

Don't agree that he has bought bad players, he bought Torres, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Benyoun, Reina, Babel, who are all very good players.
Elephanto has covered on wasteful spending and this should be viewed in the context of a club that is in dire need of capital infusion and a very tough credit market.

..... His full backs before Johnson never crossed the halfway line. He starts with 2 defensive midfielders, and 1 grafter in Kyut at right wing, meaning that he effectively has 8 defensive players and only 3 attacking players to start any game.......
If you look at it carefully, you'll find that there are lot of similarities between United and Pool. United have played various permutations involving Hargreaves, Fletcher, Carrick and Scholes in the past and they came out victors. It certainly does not imply that they are designed to defend per se. Past teams of Chelsea and Utd have on many occasions 'defensive' players in their starting line up and came out winners. Before Berba, United had Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez and they won the league.
If you look at Pool's bench, you'd be wondering who could you possibly play to make that difference. Btw, Riera was the other revelation that contributed to the undefeated run in the second half of last season.

I think Pool has to play Chelsea on labor day and I wouldn't bet on them winning that tie. Spurs is playing with a lot of fluency and I reckon they could win one or both (Man U & Arsenal). If everything goes according to form, Spurs will be the 4th qualifier.