• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Library Security Guard Siao On Woh!

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is not just a security guard.
He is also ensuring that the rules and policies are being enforced, so that other users will not be adversely affected by the inconsiderate people.

Sorry, my bad.:p Where you are coming from is about multi-task huh! Well, perhaps then the library should liberalise to allow drinks and even sweets if not food. I just dont see how quenching thirst or sweets to pleasant one's mind and feelings can adversely affect others.:confused:

Cheers.:biggrin:

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=510 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>This Urban Jungle
Posted on 01 Sep, 2008 10:14
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=530 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Library security says "NO" to everything...even green tea

This strict security guard did not allow any kinds of drinks except water to be brought into the library, says STOMPer Jeepal.

STOMPer Jeepal sent in an enquiry regarding restrictions in the library when he came across a strict security personnel recently.

According to the STOMPer, even those with sweets kept in a container were given stern warnings.

In his e-mail dated 31 August, Jeepal says:

“This security guard was seen catching the most minor things done by library users ranging from having sweets in a closed container (not even opening it nor dirtying the place with sweet wrappers) to placing bottled drinks on the library table.

“This man here also alerted people who placed bottles of green tea on the table, claiming that drinks other than water are not allowed.

“Even a lady, who brought in herbal teas, was also warned.

“Does this mean that babies are not allowed to be in the library as they suck on milk bottles?

“And are libraries that strict to even restrict users from sucking on sweets?

“Is it just this security guard or are all library guards this unreasonable?”

STOMP is contacting NLB for more information regarding library user restrictions.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=530 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD colSpan=2>
» Share this​

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hello friend, who would bring a milk drinking baby to a library.
A library is a place for the "Learned : and not for milk drinking baby.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, my bad.:p Where you are coming from is about multi-task huh! Well, perhaps then the library should liberalise to allow drinks and even sweets if not food. I just dont see how quenching thirst or sweets to pleasant one's mind and feelings can adversely affect others.:confused:

would you be so kind to bring out sweets wraps to throw outside ? for me, most probably I will squash them below seat cushion or between book pages, imagine all sweets suckers do the same way in library

you cheers too:biggrin:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can we find out where is this bayee jaga located? We need to show our approval before some kan cheong bureaucrat sack him.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suuport your actions.
It's time some of us took some action over inconsiderate behaviour, rather than simply take photos or videos.

As a user of public places, everyone has to take responsibility for their actions and be mindful of others who needs to use the same facility.

Should we witness facilities being abused, then it is within our rights to insist that the abuser of the facility either desist or be ejected from the premises.

Just keeping quiet about it only encourages such trash to think that they have the right to behave the same everywhere they go. If more people put the pressure on these monsters then we will have a better environment for all of us.

troubledtimes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah lau! Is the library a library or a daycare center?! If he did this in England, he would have gotten maced, he should thank his lucky stars he even has the opportunity to Stomp!

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
would you be so kind to bring out sweets wraps to throw outside ? for me, most probably I will squash them below seat cushion or between book pages, imagine all sweets suckers do the same way in library

you cheers too:biggrin:

Oops!..will you actually do that, perhaps even splatter drinks out of mischief, no??:p Proper disposal is a matter of discipline that can be inculcated. An outright ban is being draconian, a typical singgi intolerance.:p You should get out of the box, dont bind yourself down or you'll never know what freedom is......:biggrin:

Cheers.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish the NLB could transfer this hardworking and marvellous guy to the community library in my town. What a rare and precious asset! Singapore doesn't make such workers anymore.

Mr Singh should be given a BIG pay rise for his diligence!

I feel proud of him.

jw5

Loyal

I don't think they object to sweets provided you don't litter or leave it lying around.
But if they start allowing drinks, there will be people leaving coffee and tea stains around or slurping ice blended drinks loudly.
You can count on that.

jw5

Loyal
As a user of public places, everyone has to take responsibility for their actions and be mindful of others who needs to use the same facility.

Should we witness facilities being abused, then it is within our rights to insist that the abuser of the facility either desist or be ejected from the premises.

Just keeping quiet about it only encourages such trash to think that they have the right to behave the same everywhere they go. If more people put the pressure on these monsters then we will have a better environment for all of us.
I always tell off people who misbehave in public places too.
One of these days I'll get whacked, but I'll take that chance.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think they object to sweets provided you don't litter or leave it lying around.
But if they start allowing drinks, there will be people leaving coffee and tea stains around or slurping ice blended drinks loudly.
You can count on that.

I had no idea what's the restrictions. Havent been to the library for a long time, at least not in singgiland.:p Anyway, reading in between lines it seems to me the overzealous turban is nitpicking and captiously. :p

Concurred, there will always be feckless attitudes or even mischief. Thus the question therefore is, should all be made a victim to that.:p

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based on what has been said, none other by the aggrieved himself, there is no doubt that the guard was just performing his duty in the most reasonable manner and in accordance with the rules. I didn't see any nit-picking. He administered rules on non-consumption of food exclusively and to all who flouted them.

Obviously, the library users have been blatantly eating in that particular library. Who would bring into the library containers of sweets and bottles of green tea unless he/she intended to make himself at home and consume them?

Kindly note that the guard issued stern warning on consuming sweets but only an alert on consuming green tea. This showed his understanding and reasonableness.

Kindly note that the guard applied the strict rules to all, including the lady with a cup of "herbal tea" (translation: either bubble tea in a plastic cup or a canned drink). This showed the guard was not picking on any particular individual.

The writer was also trying to politicise the matter by raising irrelevant questions on suckling babies and whether all libraries are equally strict.

Last edited:

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always tell off people who misbehave in public places too.
One of these days I'll get whacked, but I'll take that chance.

You are setting an excellent for others. I am sure not only I but many others here support what you are doing. Do not be afraid of being whacked.

The trouble with many people who chose not to do anything is because of this fear and also the fear of losing face when the recalcitrant becomes difficult. But if we do not gather force to do something about this we will have ourselves to blame for the situation.

There is only one security guard like this in one library but there are many good people like yourself out there. When they see you make the move, they will also be convinced that this is the only way to go. We cannot let the situation continue as is.

jw5

Loyal
I had no idea what's the restrictions. Havent been to the library for a long time, at least not in singgiland.:p Anyway, reading in between lines it seems to me the overzealous turban is nitpicking and captiously. :p

Concurred, there will always be feckless attitudes or even mischief. Thus the question therefore is, should all be made a victim to that.:p

I disagree.
The library staff is simply doing his job and making the place better for the users who follow the rules.
The stomper is not a victim, he is a spoilt brat.

jw5

Loyal
You are setting an excellent for others. I am sure not only I but many others here support what you are doing. Do not be afraid of being whacked.

The trouble with many people who chose not to do anything is because of this fear and also the fear of losing face when the recalcitrant becomes difficult. But if we do not gather force to do something about this we will have ourselves to blame for the situation.

There is only one security guard like this in one library but there are many good people like yourself out there. When they see you make the move, they will also be convinced that this is the only way to go. We cannot let the situation continue as is.
And the people who behave inappropriately in public places take great comfort in the fact that people around them are too afraid or apathetic to approach them.
Sadly, many public employees do not take the necessary action to stamp out these rule breakers as well. That's why I appaud the library staff's action.
There have been a few times where I had to tell the mrt staff that people were eating and drinking in the trains and the stations. I have told them off personally a few times we well. I'm prepared to get confrontation if necessary, getting really sick of spoilt brats in this world (both adults and children).