• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Leaving SG

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello everyone,

Last Christmas here.

How long did it take to withdraw CPF after leaving SG ?

Wishing one and all a good 2019 ahead.

Last edited:

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you kingat33.

Would you be able to share your experience in withdrawing process? Any pitfalls that should be avoided?

Thank you.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hello everyone,

Last Christmas here.

How long did it take to withdraw CPF after leaving SG ?

Wishing one and all a good 2019 ahead.

You need foreign citizenship first (not just PR). Then apply to renounce sinkie citizenship. Then can appky to withdraw CPF.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone who has renounced Sg-ship recently at ICA Singapore ? What to expect at the counter ? Is there a public notary there or should the documents be notarised already ?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Anyone who has renounced Sg-ship recently at ICA Singapore ? What to expect at the counter ? Is there a public notary there or should the documents be notarised already ?

If you go in person you dont need to notarize. Just bring the originals along with you.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you go in person you dont need to notarize. Just bring the originals along with you.

Hello Nayr69sg,

Thank you for your response.

Did you also get your CPF letter to withdraw funds on the same day ? And if so, did you withdraw on the same day ?

I don’t have much time planned in SG; just about 5 days.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hello Nayr69sg,

Thank you for your response.

Did you also get your CPF letter to withdraw funds on the same day ? And if so, did you withdraw on the same day ?

I don’t have much time planned in SG; just about 5 days.

No you dont get the letter right away. But you do get a receipt saying you have submitted to renounce.

It has been 4 years since I renounced so I may not remember all the details but I will share the steps I took.

1) email ICA to book an appointment to renounce. They will give you this paper with the box renounce citizenship ticked off and signed by the officer.

2) fill up the CPF withdrawal form.

3) bring CPF withdrawal form to local Singapore bank to have the bank stamp and verify the bank account you want to deposit your CPF withdrawal funds to belongs to you. ( there are a few options. You can also TT the funds directly in foreign currency to your bank in your new country. I preferred to have it is SGD in POSB so I could transfer at desired exchange rate when I wanted. Hence I went to POSB.) They need your bank to verify account belongs to you on the form. Show the receipt that you are renouncing so they understand. Be patient some of the bank teller seldom see this so they blur blur.

4) I went to CPF hoping to submit my withdrawal form all signed and stamped with the receipt of renunciation. However they would not accept it. I tried suggesting they hold on to it then when I receive my official letter I can send them a copy. They said no. Cos they cannot open a filed yet. Admin issues. Anyway I pressed and an officer came out and told me to go back to Canada wait for the letter. Once I got the letter to make a notarized copy and sign the CPF withdrawal form with notary witness. Sign on the stamps for the bank info as well. Then send the notarized copy of the confirmation of renunciation letter and the form to CPF attention to CPF withdrawal department (this one I cant really remember who attention exactly maybe to the officer name). You might want it go down to CPF building just to clarify this step with them again when you go.

Takes about 3 months for ICA to process your renunciation. CPF withdrawal is faster. About 1 month after they receive the letter and form.

Funny thing is I still have like $20 in my CPF account now. There was some deposit of dividends after I withdrew. So it is still earning interest. Haha.

Let me know if you have other questions. Congratulations on getting new citizenship!

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi nayr69sg,

Thank you thank you thank you. I am very greateful to you for your sharing.

Looked over the ICA website for appointments. They do not have the option for renunciation. I guess it’s not a regular service the need to cater for. I might have to rock up without an appointment.

Can you recall, if
(2) you need to notarise any documents before presenting myself at ICA ? Or do they have a public notary there on site ?
(3) sending the CPF the supporting documents via email an option given to you?
(4) ifCPF corresponded with you via snail mail or email ?
I once had to withdraw some money from the bank. They will not accept my drivers license and insisted on IC, even though I had my passbook with me. It was bizarre to say the least.

I am thankful for your replies. Really am. Thanks.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Just email the enquiries email and ask. Ask. Dont be scared to ask. Always ask. What can you lose?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
If you go in person no need to notarize anything. Officer will verify.

I think the officer asked me go email copies so she could get things ready beforehand.

Also remember to go change your ID for bank account stock trading account life insurance etc using your new passport. Cos will no longer have NRIC or singaoire passport.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi nayr69sg,

Thank you for your detailed advice. They have certainly calmed my nerves. The whole process has been so unnerving on so so many levels and my brain gets so frenzied with so many questions..

It all started with “will I get detained at the airport using AUS to enter since I am back to renounce SG-ship “ , should I enter using AUS passport since I need to leave and have a record of entering. Is that correct ?

The list of considerations just is overwhelming. But I am reassured that it needs to be tackled one at a time , when I come to it.

Thank you for all your postings. You have made this part of my journey easier with your kindness and kind words.

Last edited: