• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Latest on Aware Thio Su Ann's Press Conference at RTC

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw this wannabe 'Lioness' Mo better watch her step if the account by Ng Tze Yong in TNP 24/4 is accurate...according to Ng "At one point, Ms Maureen Ong mumbled something about changing Syriah law:eek:, but when asked to clarify by a reporter she took it back and said "What I want to say is that we are working for all women, whether you are Muslim, Buddhist, Christian..."
Despite this, honorary treasurer Maureen Ong denied allegations that their concerns about Aware’s direction had anything to do with their religious beliefs.
“I’m not afraid to say I’m a conservative person. I go to church yes, but that … is personal. I did not go to Aware to push my religious beliefs, I went to Aware because I was concerned (as a parent) with what’s happening.”

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it has already been damaged with the self righteous disingenuous behaviour exhibited by the likes of Josie and her pussycats and the self proclaimed 'feminist mentor' Dr Thio
The old guard should focus on the core questions at the EOGM. They might not win the majority of the votes (it could be swamped with crucifix necklaces), but they sure can damage the credibility of AWARE permanently with some tough interrogation.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right about everything except the last bit...think he is now with UOL but I stand corrected
Her father is Thio Ghim Hock. He was a senior director in HPL and when there used to go around preaching to everyone. Ong beng Seng used to make fun of him in public. he fought often with Ong beng Seng and left to join the Lippoo Grp which are another bunch of crooks tured born again holier than thou Christians. I think he has left Lippo and has joined CDL.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps...but then again maybe this time she has bitten off more than she can chew...
On a closing note, watch out for Dr Thio - she is already absorbing the blame for instigating unintentionally - not orchestrating - the takeover of AWARE. She's dangerous as they come, being a trained lawyer, and having some form of immunity being linked to the ruling cadre. She can, and will, deflect blame off the new ExCo to her, only to see it bounce off her tongue and skin, mark my words.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, very sim tia.
The fact that this new exco is almost the antithesis of everything they stood for in gender equality, means that the scorched earth policy is now a real possiblity.

Agree.

[*]One of the 'panic' points the new ExCo tried to instill in the public was that lesbianism was encouraged and approved when AWARE gave talks to schoolgirls. That particular policy of the old AWARE is the educated response to a growing trend - instead of rebuking them (which will probably garner more rebellious response), I believe the old AWARE understood this is a phase alot of young ladies go through in an all-girls school environment. They were trying to instill maturity in these young ladies, that sexuality IS a choice, and not dictated by parents or other figures of authority.
[/LIST]
The last point is going to be a strongly contested point during 2 May - when it comes to young people, all society gets concerned, and it gives leverage to the new ExCo, who understands that majority of Singaporeans are conservative.

I don't think the old guard has do anything. It up to the new guards to make that claim stick. Just go to AWARE website and there is no indication that it is pushing or even insinuating the lesbianism cause. The comprehensive sexual program is quite impressive. After Thio's rant, I went to the website and was plesantly pleased the work that they were doing and it appeared more pro-family than I thought. Have a look at their abstract on the sexuality program. Here is an example of their thought when writing to FT forum. Note the underlined text at the end.

I refer to Alvin Tan’s letter, “Here’s the Singaporean confusion”, from October 31’s Strait Times Forum.
Last week, AWARE hosted a forum titled “Let’s Not Leave Our Boys Behind”. The aim was to discuss the
expectations that Singaporean women and men have of each other.
From the forum it appears that misunderstanding is the primary obstacle preventing stronger relationships
between Singaporeans. Many women believe that men want a partner that is domestic and traditional.
Many men believe women want a partner that is wealthy and chivalrous.
I believe this misunderstanding is perpetuated by such articles as the one Mr. Tan referred to from a
February issue of Straits Times. The article claimed that based on a survey, Singaporean women expect
their partners to carry their handbags, open doors, and pay for dates. In fact, the survey found that,
- Only 24% of the women expect their boyfriends to carry their handbag, while 70% of men do not mind
carrying it.
- Eighty-eight percent of men will open the doors for their girlfriend, while only 50% of women expect
this.
- Seventy-two percent of men will pay the bills on dates most or all of the time, while only 36% of the
women expect this.
Due to this misconception and others, Singaporean women and men feel further alienated from one another.
Present at AWARE’s forum were three counsellors and the director of a dating agency. All emphasized that
communication is essential to a healthy relationship.
The forum also questioned what our society expects of women and men in a larger sense. These societal
expectations contribute to the stress that women and men feel to “play certain roles” when they’re
interacting.
Based on workplace practices and government policies, women are still seen as primary caregivers. They
receive the majority of benefits – and costs – of childrearing. Men, on the other hand, are not afforded
reasonable paternity leave or protections which would allow them to take on a larger part of their children’s
lives.
This results in a Catch-22 where young boys are deprived of male role models in the domestic sphere. They
are led to believe that caring for the family is a woman’s work. It is up to wives and husbands together to
be positive role models to their children and show that both mommy and daddy care for them and the
home.
Constance Singam
President, AWARE

bellepepper02

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone please paste the CNA vid clip of the old guard AWARE press conference earlier this evening...former NMP and ex AWARE president Dr Kanwaljit Soin was in top form with her subtle sarcastic comments questioning Dr Thio Su Mien's claim the night before that she was a concerned feminist and was friends with the original founders of AWARE one whom is Dr Soin herself...gripping riveting stuff......

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOJ4JmqSgnk

Part 2, on sex education programme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuMwbSr4HOE&feature=related

Part 3, on giving men voting rights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwC3-sqS0JQ&feature=related