• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Waiting for the adoption.”

Romans 8:23

Even in this world saints are God's children, but men cannot discover them to be so, except by certain moral characteristics. The adoption is not manifested, the children are not yet openly declared. Among the Romans a man might adopt a child, and keep it private for a long time: but there was a second adoption in public; when the child was brought before the constituted authorities its former garments were taken off, and the father who took it to be his child gave it raiment suitable to its new condition of life.

“Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be.” We are not yet arrayed in the apparel which befits the royal family of heaven; we are wearing in this flesh and blood just what we wore as the sons of Adam; but we know that “when he shall appear” who is the “first-born among many brethren,” we shall be like him, we shall see him as he is. Cannot you imagine that a child taken from the lowest ranks of society, and adopted by a Roman senator, would say to himself, “I long for the day when I shall be publicly adopted. Then I shall leave off these plebeian garments, and be robed as becomes my senatorial rank”? Happy in what he has received, for that very reason he groans to get the fulness of what is promised him.

So it is with us today. We are waiting till we shall put on our proper garments, and shall be manifested as the children of God. We are young nobles, and have not yet worn our coronets. We are young brides, and the marriage day is not yet come, and by the love our Spouse bears us, we are led to long and sigh for the bridal morning. Our very happiness makes us groan after more; our joy, like a swollen spring, longs to well up like an Iceland geyser, leaping to the skies, and it heaves and groans within our spirit for want of space and room by which to manifest itself to men.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Following My Heart

Way back when I was in high school, I had definite ideas about what I wanted to be when I grew up. I knew without a doubt that I wanted to be a wife and mother. I was very happy with my decision; and at 16-years-old, I had even met the love of my life and knew that he was the one I wanted to spend my life with and have children with. I felt very good about all this until my senior year in high school. It was then that it became evident that I was going to rank at the top of my graduating class. That should have been something else for me to feel good about, but it seemed to bring me undue pressure.

It seemed that every adult I came into contact with wanted to know what my future plans were. I shared confidently that I wanted to be a wife and mother with those who asked and that's when the pressure began. No one seemed to think that my goals were lofty enough. They all urged me to aim high. I couldn't think of a higher calling, but they didn't seem to understand. No one did except for one teacher, my English teacher. She encouraged me by telling me that she trusted my judgment and knew that in the end all would work out for me even if I followed my heart and chose to simply be a wife and mother. I was so grateful for her understanding and encouraging words.

Well, life was good as I pursued my goals. I did attend college for 1½ years while waiting for my love, who was serving in the Navy to get back to the States. I knew that I was really just buying time until our marriage, but I had scholarships that took care of the expense, so it seemed like a good thing to do. Finally, we were married, and I was extremely happy with my choice to be a wife. Two years later, we started our family; and again, I knew that I'd made the right choice. Being a mother was so wonderful. We went on to have two more children, and I was blessed by being able to be a stay-at-home mom. It was all I'd ever dreamed of.

When the day came that all our little darlings were in school, I began to pray about what to do with the time I found I had on my hands. Through a series of events that could be an entire story of their own, God let me know without a doubt that my next goal should be to become a teacher. I was so excited! I mean, how many people get the chance to grow up and be exactly what they want and then do it again with a new dream? I made preparations and was all set to begin classes in June of 1991.

On May 16, 1991, however, things changed. My husband was in an accident that resulted in his having to have his arm amputated. He was left unable to work, and we were left with lots of questions. While it was evident then that we would actually need for me to go to work, we weren't sure exactly how we'd be able to put me through college with neither of us working. Fortunately, when life was good, it was very good. We'd been able to purchase our home while Jimmy was working and the day after his accident I made the last payment on the only bank note we had, so we were debt free.

I had postponed starting school in June, but by August we were feeling led by the Lord to go ahead with my plan to go back to college for my degree in education. There were many times that we weren't sure we could "make it". As a matter of fact, it never did make sense on paper that we were able to do what we were doing, but we never went without anything we needed. God always came through just when we needed help. One Christmas we weren't sure about the next semester, so we asked my father if he and mom would buy my books for that term instead of other Christmas gifts.

He immediately wrote me a check that covered not just my books but the next semester's tuition as well. Not long after that I was awarded a nontraditional student scholarship and another smaller scholarship that I'd applied for. I wanted to send thank you notes to the companies that funded the scholarships, so I went to the financial aid office to inquire as to whom I could address notes to. What I found out that day assured me that God was in control and that I had been right all along in following my heart. You see, the big scholarship that I was awarded had been funded by the very same teacher who 20 years earlier had encouraged me to do what I knew was right in my heart. Even after all those years, there she was enabling me to fulfill not only one dream in my life, but a second one as well. Thank you, Mrs. D?You know you're the best.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Forgiveness of Sin and Healing...
He forgiveth all thine inquities;
he healeth all thy diseases.

Psalm 103:3 KJV

And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities, whereby they have sinned, and whereby they have transgressed against me.

Jeremiah 33:8 KJV

None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him.

Ezekiel 33:16a KJV

Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever. Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee; for thou art the LORD our God.

Jeremiah 3:12,22 KJV

I will heal their backsliding,
I will love them freely:
for mine anger is turned away from him.

Hosea 14:4 KJV

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said ... Be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods.”

Daniel 3:16, 18

The narrative of the manly courage and marvellous deliverance of the three holy children, or rather champions, is well calculated to excite in the minds of believers firmness and steadfastness in upholding the truth in the teeth of tyranny and in the very jaws of death. Let young Christians especially learn from their example, both in matters of faith in religion, and matters of uprightness in business, never to sacrifice their consciences. Lose all rather than lose your integrity, and when all else is gone, still hold fast a clear conscience as the rarest jewel which can adorn the bosom of a mortal.

Be not guided by the will-o’-the-wisp of policy, but by the pole-star of divine authority. Follow the right at all hazards. When you see no present advantage, walk by faith and not by sight. Do God the honour to trust him when it comes to matters of loss for the sake of principle. See whether he will be your debtor! See if he doth not even in this life prove his word that “Godliness, with contentment, is great gain,” and that they who “seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, shall have all these things added unto them.” Should it happen that, in the providence of God, you are a loser by conscience, you shall find that if the Lord pays you not back in the silver of earthly prosperity, he will discharge his promise in the gold of spiritual joy.

Remember that a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of that which he possesseth. To wear a guileless spirit, to have a heart void of offence, to have the favour and smile of God, is greater riches than the mines of Ophir could yield, or the traffic of Tyre could win. “Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and inward contention therewith.” An ounce of heart's-ease is worth a ton of gold.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How Abraham Was Justified 2,000 Years Before Christ

How did Jesus’ work on the cross go back 2,000 years to cover Abraham and the other saints in the Old Testament?

Obedience and Faith
How did Jesus’ work on the cross go back 2,000 years to cover Abraham and the other saints in the Old Testament? Let’s begin with Genesis 22 and Psalm 89. These two chapters have a lot in common. In Genesis 22:12 it says, the angel of the Lord said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God [or, “are a fearer of God”], seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me,” so Genesis 22 speaks about God’s covenant, but so does Psalm 89. The former to Abraham and the latter to David, but even David’s covenant was made with Abraham’s in mind as Ethan the Ezrahite writes of David, “My faithfulness and my steadfast love shall be with him, and in my name shall his horn be exalted,” and sounding very much like God’s promise to Abraham, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one; I have sworn to David my servant: ‘I will establish your offspring forever, and build your throne for all generations” (Psalm 89:3-4).

God knew that Abraham believed in God’s promises because he was willing to sacrifice his son, so God said, “I know that you fear God” (Gen 22:12). The author of Hebrews adds, it was “By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son” (Heb 11:17). Just as David knew he had an eternal covenant with the Lord, it was “By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going” (Heb 11:8), showing Abraham believed God, and God accounted that to him as righteousness (Gen 15:6). Abraham knew God was faithful and cannot deny His own word. David was just as certain.

Faith and Works
In writing about works and faith, James asked, “What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him” (James 2:17)? Of course not. That’s a faith that DOA. That faith can’t save anyone. James is not saying we’re saved by works, but works show we are saved. It’s not having faith in faith, but faith in God, but “faith apart from works is dead” (James 2:26). Abraham, when asked to sacrifice his only son, meaning the son of promise, did all but sacrifice Isaac. Abraham’s faith was so strong he knew God would have to resurrect Isaac in order for His promises to be fulfilled. Abraham “considered that God was able even to raise him from the dead, from which, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back” (Heb 11:19), so Abraham was willing to sacrifice his own son because he believed what God had promised him would surely come to pass.

Promise Fulfilled
Long after Abraham was gathered unto his people, the children of Abraham knew that “Not one word of all the good promises that the LORD had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass” (Joshua 21:45).

Abraham believed God and his works proved he believed God, so both Genesis 22 and Psalm 89 reflect the criteria of God’s sure and certain promises for those that believe in Him. God “said, “By myself I have sworn, declares the LORD, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies” (Gen 22:17). Joshua lived to see that day and Moses too. God cannot be unfaithful to His own word for He swears by His own Self and there is none greater, since there is no greater Name to swear by than God’s own name.

Justified by Faith

Justification by faith alone is not new or unique to the New Testament. Abraham was accounted righteous before God because He believed God (Gen 15:6), and there is no more important doctrine in the Bible than being justified by faith. The Apostle Paul wrote that “since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Rom 5:1), and now, there is “no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Rom 8:1).

There is no justification without the Justifier, and there is no salvation without faith in Christ, but even this is a free gift of God (Eph 2:8-9), but our works are evidence of our faith, and even these works were long ago ordained by God (Eph 2:10). We are not saved by works, but a saved person will naturally do works (e.g. Matt 25:35-36), but they don’t do them to be saved; they do them because they are saved. And besides, we do these things for Christ (Matt 25:40), not to be seen by others (Matt 6:1).

The doctrinal position of our justification by faith alone in Christ alone is the bedrock of the Christian faith. To have faith is to believe in or to trust in God. We know that there is no other way to receive eternal life than through our repentance and trust in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12). That is at the heart of the gospel according to Jesus (Mark 1:14-15). It is by our believing in (trusting in, having faith in) Jesus Christ that we are saved, so it shouldn’t surprise us that without faith, we cannot please God (Heb 11:6).

Conclusion
After reading the Bible for so long, I’ve seen that obedience typically comes before understanding. I’ve found that true in my own life too. I might not precisely understand what God’s Word tells me to do in some cases, so I must trust the Spirit and yield to His influence. The Spirit might prompt me to do something that I’d not ordinarily do, and even though my own flesh says, “No,” I sense it’s what God wants me to do, and more often than not, I discovered that, in His sovereignty, God had placed me in such a place and time to do just what He willed for me to do. I know that if what I do helps others; if it glorifies God, and it’s revealed in the Word of God, then I must do it, even if I don’t fully understand it at the time.

After reading Jesus’ command to “Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you” (Luke 6:27-28), I discovered I can’t do this in my own strength and be sincere about it. It must take God’s Spirit to “Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you,” and “pray for those who abuse you.” I don’t believe Abraham completely understood what God was doing by asking him to sacrifice his son, but he did it anyway.

Naturally, that would have been the last thing on earth he wanted, but I also must admit that there are times when I cannot understand why we’re commanded to pray for our enemies, do good to those that hate us, bless those who curse us, and pray for those who abuse us (mostly verbally or by the written word)…but, I did it anyway and do it today. Only later, after doing these things (Luke 6:27-28), did I finally understand what God was saying about Himself and His infinite love (Rom 5:6-10). I just believed God and His Word and did as I was commanded. And not one second have I ever regretted it.

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely true!

Satan will not bother God's children when life is particularly good and when you are in the 'happiness times. This is because during this times, we take life's goodness for granted and we tend to forget God - forget to pray, forget to read His Holy Scriptures, forget to give thanks and praise Him.

Psalm23

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hi bro Psalm23....yes its true. Satan loves it when some of us are too 'successful' and forget God or when some of us are struggling too much and get angry and blame God.

Proverbs 30 vvs 8 &9 puts this in a nutshell.

Blessings brother.

Absolutely true!

Satan will not bother God's children when life is particularly good and when you are in the 'happiness times. This is because during this times, we take life's goodness for granted and we tend to forget God - forget to pray, forget to read His Holy Scriptures, forget to give thanks and praise Him.

Psalm23

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Forgiveness Through Christ Jesus
"On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity.

Zechariah 13:1 NIV

"Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.

Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses. Take care that what the prophets have said does not happen to you:

"Look, you scoffers,
wonder and perish,
for I am going to do something in your days
that you would never believe,
even if someone told you."

Acts 13:38-41 NIV

He shall save his people from their sins.

Matthew 1:21 KJV

In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace.

Ephesians 1:7 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Art thou become like unto us?”

Isaiah 14:10

What must be the apostate professor's doom when his naked soul appears before God? How will he bear that voice, “Depart, ye cursed; thou hast rejected me, and I reject thee; thou hast played the harlot, and departed from me: I also have banished thee for ever from my presence, and will not have mercy upon thee.” What will be this wretch's shame at the last great day when, before assembled multitudes, the apostate shall be unmasked? See the profane, and sinners who never professed religion, lifting themselves up from their beds of fire to point at him.

“There he is,” says one, “will he preach the gospel in hell?” “There he is,” says another, “he rebuked me for cursing, and was a hypocrite himself!” “Aha!” says another, “here comes a psalm-singing Methodist — one who was always at his meeting; he is the man who boasted of his being sure of everlasting life; and here he is!” No greater eagerness will ever be seen among Satanic tormentors, than in that day when devils drag the hypocrite's soul down to perdition.

Bunyan pictures this with massive but awful grandeur of poetry when he speaks of the back-way to hell. Seven devils bound the wretch with nine cords, and dragged him from the road to heaven, in which he had professed to walk, and thrust him through the back-door into hell. Mind that back-way to hell, professors! “Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith.” Look well to your state; see whether you be in Christ or not.

It is the easiest thing in the world to give a lenient verdict when oneself is to be tried; but O, be just and true here. Be just to all, but be rigorous to yourself. Remember if it be not a rock on which you build, when the house shall fall, great will be the fall of it. O may the Lord give you sincerity, constancy, and firmness; and in no day, however evil, may you be led to turn aside.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
"Who Made Superman ?Super??"

By Chuck Colson

Since it?s earliest days, TV has been a mixed blessing at best. The old joke about five hundred channels and nothing to watch has some truth to it. When programs aren?t appealing to our basest instincts, or boring us with banality, they are often nothing more than propaganda for a liberal, secular worldview.

But there are exceptions. Some shows not only entertain, but also remind viewers of what families and fathers are supposed to do for their kids.

The best example of this is Smallville, the latest take on the Superman saga. Smallville tells the story of the young Clark Kent, who is caught "between the boy he thought he was and the man he is destined to become."

As his powers emerge, he is tempted to use them for personal gain, like being a football star or impressing the beautiful girl next door. Instead, he comes to understand that his "gifts" are tied to his true calling in life: to serve others through those gifts.

Where does he learn this? From his father. As Alex Wainer, who teaches film at Georgia State University, tells us, Clark?s father, Jonathan Kent, understands that "a superman unanchored by virtuous character" is something that should terrify us.

So, Jonathan takes every opportunity--when doing chores or while standing in the kitchen--to teach his son the "principles he needs to steer through the treacherous shoals of adolescence." He teaches Clark to postpone gratification and to make sacrifices. His goal is that Clark becomes the kind of man who can worthily wield the power with which he has been entrusted.

Viewers clearly understand that if Superman embodies "truth, justice, and the American way," it?s because of his father.

Similarly, in Smallville, the man who will become Superman?s arch enemy, Lex Luthor, is also being shaped by a father. Only "his father?s lovelessness and manipulations are poisoning his soul." As Wainer says, "the two fathers? stark contrast is evident in the characters of their sons."

Smallville?s emphasis on character, discipline, and listening to your parents stands in sharp contrast to other shows intended for the same audience, like Dawson?s Creek. The contrast is apparently by design.

Smallville?s executive producer Al Gough told USA Today that, on most television shows, "the kids are smart, the parents are clueless, and they never talk to each other." He wanted Smallville to be the "antithesis" of these shows. And so, Clark Kent relies on his parents for guidance. His relationship with them, and the way it shapes his character, is meant to be the show?s "emotional core."

And viewers clearly approve. They?ve made Smallville The WB network?s highest rated show and a "must-advertise" for those seeking to reach teenagers and young adults.

Unfortunately, shows like this one are still the exception. American television still remains a moral "wasteland," as it was once described. But shows like this are an occasional recognition that the ideas and worldviews that dominate so much of television don?t work in the real world. They don?t even work in the make-believe world. Deep down people want something better.

As Smallville reminds us, the best way to produce a hero is to have him raised by someone who teaches him the meaning of the word hero -- his dad.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Resurection Glory...
Glorious Resurection

And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting ife: and I will raise him up at the last day. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:39,40,54 KJV

For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

2 Corinthians 5:1-4 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”

2 Peter 1:4

Vanish for ever all thought of indulging the flesh if you would live in the power of your risen Lord. It were ill that a man who is alive in Christ should dwell in the corruption of sin. “Why seek ye the living among the dead?” said the angel to Magdalene. Should the living dwell in the sepulchre? Should divine life be immured in the charnel house of fleshly lust? How can we partake of the cup of the Lord and yet drink the cup of Belial?

Surely, believer, from open lusts and sins you are delivered: have you also escaped from the more secret and delusive lime-twigs of the Satanic fowler? Have you come forth from the lust of pride? Have you escaped from slothfulness? Have you clean escaped from carnal security? Are you seeking day by day to live above worldliness, the pride of life, and the ensnaring vice of avarice? Remember, it is for this that you have been enriched with the treasures of God. If you be indeed the chosen of God, and beloved by him, do not suffer all the lavish treasure of grace to be wasted upon you.

Follow after holiness; it is the Christian's crown and glory. An unholy church! it is useless to the world, and of no esteem among men. It is an abomination, hell's laughter, heaven's abhorrence. The worst evils which have ever come upon the world have been brought upon her by an unholy church. O Christian, the vows of God are upon you. You are God's priest: act as such. You are God's king: reign over your lusts. You are God's chosen: do not associate with Belial. Heaven is your portion: live like a heavenly spirit, so shall you prove that you have true faith in Jesus, for there cannot be faith in the heart unless there be holiness in the life.

“Lord, I desire to live as one
Who bears a blood-bought name,
As one who fears but grieving thee,
And knows no other shame.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Four Core Characteristics of God

Here are four core attributes or characteristics of God that have not and will not ever change.

Holiness
One characteristic of God is that He cannot dwell with or be in the presence of sin. After the fall, God’s fellowship with mankind was severed even if His relationship with them wasn’t. God is altogether holy and cannot look upon sin because sin is completely contrary to the very nature of God. This may explain why God had to turn away, even from His own Son, while He hung on the cross, and why Jesus cried out, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me” (Matt 27:46)? Since Jesus bore the sins of mankind, God the Father could not look upon Him. That explains the three hours of darkness during Jesus’ last hours. This was the first time in all eternity that the Father and the Son had been separated, so how agonizing that must have been for both of them.

Since Jesus had taken upon the sins of humanity, it makes sense that this is the only time where Jesus called God, “My God, My God” and not, “My Father, My father.” For a brief moment in time, Jesus was separated from the Father, and it was because of our sins that the Father had to look away. Psalm 22:1 was a Messianic prophecy about Calvary, where David wrote, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me?” On the cross, Jesus God was “far from helping [Him].”

God distances Himself from the presence of sin, and that reveals perhaps His greatest attribute of all, that He is “holy, holy, holy” (Isaiah 6:3). In Jewish literature, repeating something three times is the greatest emphasis possible. To repeat something twice in the same sentence is of supreme importance in itself as God calls out only a select few by calling out their name twice. For example, God said, “Abraham, Abraham, Saul, Saul; Peter, Peter,” and so on, but to three-peat something shows that it’s of the utmost importance.

Goodness
What does the creation tell me about God and His character? It tells me that whatever He wills, that He does. He only needs to speak and it is done! God said that His creation was good, and that means it was perfect. Why? In Mark 10:17 a young rich man came up to Jesus and said, “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus responds by saying, “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone” (Mark 10:18).

Of course, Jesus was God too, but the young man didn’t know to whom he was speaking, so this why Jesus said that only God is good, so what He creates is also good. After God had created the heavens and the earth, He said “It was good,” and whatever is repeated in the Bible indicates the importance of it, and the phrase “And God saw that it was good” is repeated 5 times. Since God is holy, pure, and perfect, everything God created reflected part of His character as being “good.” The creation was good because God is good, just as Jesus had said in Mark 10.

Fellowship
Yet another characteristic of God is that He is desires fellowship with us, just like the fellowship that existed before the creation where the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit had perfect relationships and fellowship with one another. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are always in perfect harmony, fellowship, and in relationship with One Another. God is a personal God and seeks to dwell with us, and even though He is both transcendent and immanent, He desires to dwell with His own children. He is altogether holy and transcendent, being above all things, but He still walks with those who are like Enoch who walked with God “and was no more” (Gen 5:24).

God walked in the Garden with mankind just after creation (Gen 3:8), but once sin entered, God could no longer walk or be present or dwell with mankind in the same way. John 1:14 says that “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us,” which is better rendered “to have one’s tabernacle, abide (or live) in a tabernacle (or tent), tabernacle.” [1] Strong’s concordance says the Greek word for dwelt (G4637) σκηνόω (skēnoō) (dwelt) is used only 5 times in the New Testament, including John 1:14, and interestingly, the other four times are found in the Book of Revelation.

John writes, “Rejoice then, you heavens and those who dwell (tabernacle) in them” (Rev 12:12), and “It opened its mouth to utter blasphemies against God, blaspheming his name and his dwelling, that is, those who dwell (tabernacle) in heaven” (Rev 13:6). In Revelation 21:3 it John writes, “And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “See, the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell (tabernacle) with them; they will be his peoples, and God himself will be with them.” In every case, order has been restored, sin has been dwelt with, and God is able to dwell (tabernacle) with the redeemed. At that time, the creation is restored, and God can again dwell where there is no corruption of sin.

Order
A final characteristic of God is that the creation reveals that what God creates is in perfect harmony and symmetry. God is a God of order and not of chaos (1 Cor 14:33). This is the theme of the book, the Privileged Planet by Guillermo Gonzalez and Jay Richards (Regnery Publishing, 2004). The perfection and precision of God’s creation is plainly known to science. If the moon were any closer or further away…if the earth’s axis would not be where it is today (and life may not have been possible). The symmetry of the universe reflects God’s nature, just as the beauty of the creation does.

The heavens declare the glory of the work of His hands (Psalm 19:1). The New Revised Standard Version reads: “The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.” They do tell about God and power and glory. The creation tells us that God should be glorified and mankind’s proper response should be to live a holy life worthy of His creating us, and that He is most worthy to be worshiped. The Father is seeking such to worship Him in truth and in spirit (John 4:24), but truth without the spirit is religion and spirit without truth is useless.

Conclusion
God has many attributes, but I believe His greatest attribute is that He is holy. The only attribute of God that is mentioned three times is that He is holy, and to repeat something three times is the highest form of emphasis possible in Jewish literary form. The Bible never says that God is love, love, love, although He is love…it doesn’t say He is merciful, merciful, merciful, although this is true, but rather it says He is “holy, holy, holy” (Isaiah 6:1-8). That may be His greatest characteristic of all.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Peace Through Reconciliation
All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them.

And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

2 Corinthians 5:18,19 NIV

But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

Ephesians 2:13-17 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.”

1 Corinthians 7:20

Some persons have the foolish notion that the only way in which they can live for God is by becoming ministers, missionaries, or Bible women. Alas! how many would be shut out from any opportunity of magnifying the Most High if this were the case. Beloved, it is not office, it is earnestness; it is not position, it is grace which will enable us to glorify God.

God is most surely glorified in that cobbler's stall, where the godly worker, as he plies the awl, sings of the Saviour's love, aye, glorified far more than in many a prebendal stall where official religiousness performs its scanty duties. The name of Jesus is glorified by the poor unlearned carter as he drives his horse, and blesses his God, or speaks to his fellow labourer by the roadside, as much as by the popular divine who, throughout the country, like Boanerges, is thundering out the gospel. God is glorified by our serving him in our proper vocations.

Take care, dear reader, that you do not forsake the path of duty by leaving your occupation, and take care you do not dishonour your profession while in it. Think little of yourselves, but do not think too little of your callings. Every lawful trade may be sanctified by the gospel to noblest ends. Turn to the Bible, and you will find the most menial forms of labour connected either with most daring deeds of faith, or with persons whose lives have been illustrious for holiness.

Therefore be not discontented with your calling. Whatever God has made your position, or your work, abide in that, unless you are quite sure that he calls you to something else. Let your first care be to glorify God to the utmost of your power where you are. Fill your present sphere to his praise, and if he needs you in another he will show it you. This evening lay aside vexatious ambition, and embrace peaceful content.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wake-Up Call

I was sitting in a bathtub full of moldy sheetrock when my 13-year-old son asked the question. "Can you take me golfing sometime?" he said.
I had a bathroom to remodel. It was fall, and the forecast for the next week was for a 100 percent chance of Oregon's liquid sunshine. I wanted to say no. "Sure," I said. "What did you have in mind?"
"Well, maybe you could, like, pick up Jared and me after school on Friday and take us out to Oakway."

"Sounds good."
Friday came. The showers continued. Looking out the window, moldy sheetrock seemed the saner choice. But at the appointed hour, I changed from home-improvement garb to rain-protection garb and loaded the boys' clubs and mine in the back of the car. In front of the school, Ryan and Jared piled in. Ryan looked at
me with a perplexed expression.

"What's with the golf hat, Dad?" he said.
It was, I thought, a silly question, like asking a scuba diver what's with the swim fins.
"Well, I thought we were going to play some golf."
A peculiar pause ensued, like a phone line temporarily gone dead.
"Uh, you're going, too?" he asked.

Suddenly, it struck me like a three-iron to my gut: I hadn't been invited.
Thirteen years of parenting flashed before my eyes. The birth. The diapers. The late-night feedings. Helping with homework. Building forts. Fixing bikes. Going to games. Going camping. Going everywhere together -- my son and I. Now I hadn't been invited. This was it. This was the end of our relationship as I had always known it. This was "Adios, Old Man, thanks for the memories but I'm old enough to swing my own clubs now so go back to your rocking chair and crossword puzzles and -- oh yeah -- here's a half-off coupon for your next bottle of Geritol."

All these memories sped by in about two seconds, leaving me about three seconds to respond before Ryan would get suspicious and think I had actually expected to be playing golf with him and his friend. I had to say something. I wanted to say this: 'How could you do this to me? Throw me overboard like unused crab bait?' We
had always been a team. But this was abandonment. Adult abuse. This was Lewis turning to Clark in 1805 and saying: "Later, Bill. I can make it the rest of the way to Oregon without you." John Glenn radioing Mission Control to say thanks, but he could take it from here. Simon bailing out on Garfunkel during "Bridge Over Troubled Water."
Why did it all have to change?

Enough of this mind-wandering. I needed to level with him. I needed to express how hurt I was. Share my gut-level feelings. Muster all the courage I could find, bite the bullet, and spill my soul.
So I said, "Me? Play? Naw. You know I'm up to my ears in the remodel project."
We drove on in silence for a few moments. "So, how are you planning to pay for this?" I asked, my wounded ego reaching for the dagger.
"Uh, could you loan me seven dollars?"

Oh, I get it. He doesn't want me, but he'll gladly take my money.
"No problem," I said.
I dropped him and Jared off, wished them luck, and headed for home. My son was on his own now. Nobody there to tell him how to fade a five-iron, how to play that tricky downhiller, how to hit the sand shot. And what if there's lightning?

What about
hypothermia? A runaway golf cart? A band of militant gophers? He's so small. Who would take care of him?
There I was, alone, driving away from him. Not just for now. Forever. This was it. The bond was broken. Life would never be the same.
I walked in the door. "What are you doing home?" my wife asked.
I knew it would sound like some 13-year-old who was the only one in the gang not invited to the slumber party, but maintaining my immature demeanor, I said it anyway

"I wasn't invited," I replied, with a trace of snottiness.
Another one of those peculiar pauses ensued. Then my wife laughed. Out loud. At first I was hurt. Then I, too, laughed, the situation suddenly becoming much clearer.
I went back to the bathroom remodel and began realizing that this is what life is all about: change. This is what fathers and sons must ultimately do: change. This is what I've been preparing him for since he first looked at me and screamed in terror: not to play golf without me, but to take on the world without me. With his own set of clubs. His own game plan. His own faith.

God was remodeling my son. Adding some space here. Putting in a new feature there. In short, allowing him to become more than he could ever be if I continued to hover over him. Just like when I was a kid and, at Ryan's age, I would sling my plaid
golf bag over my shoulder and ride my bike five miles across town to play golf at a small public course called Marysville that I imagined as Augusta National. I remember how grown-up I felt, walking into that dark clubhouse, the smoke rising from the poker game off to the left, and proudly pluncking down my two dollars for nine holes. Would I have wanted my father there with me that day?

Naw. A boy's
gotta do what a boy's gotta do: grow up. I went back to the bathroom remodel project.
A few hours later, I heard Ryan walk in the front door. I heard him complain to his mother that his putts wouldn't drop, that his drives were slicing, and that the course was like a lake. He sounded like someone I knew. His tennis shoes squeaked with water as I heard him walk back to where I was working on the bathroom.
"Dad," he said, dripping on the floor, "my game stinks. Can you take me golfing sometime? I need some help."

I wanted to hug him. Rev my radial-arm saw in celebration. Shout: "I'm still needed!" I wanted to tell God, "Thanks for letting me be part of this kid's remodel job."
Instead, I got one of those serious-dad looks on my face and stoically said, "Sure, Ry, anytime."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Adopted As Dear Children
God Has Adopted Us...

I am a Father to Israel, and Ephraim is my first born.

Jeremiah 31:9 KJV

Doutbless thou art our Father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O Lord, art our Father, our Redeemer; thy name is from everlasting.

Isaiah 63:16 KJV

But now, O Lord, thou art our Father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we are all the work of Thy hand.

Isaiah 64:8

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Romans 8:14,15 KJV

And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

Romans 9:26 KJV

I will receive you. And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

2 Corinthians 6:17b,18

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“But Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.”

Exodus 7:12

This incident is an instructive emblem of the sure victory of the divine handiwork over all opposition. Whenever a divine principle is cast into the heart, though the devil may fashion a counterfeit, and produce swarms of opponents, as sure as ever God is in the work, it will swallow up all its foes. If God's grace takes possession of a man, the world's magicians may throw down all their rods; and every rod may be as cunning and poisonous as a serpent, but Aaron's rod will swallow up their rods.

The sweet attractions of the cross will woo and win the man's heart, and he who lived only for this deceitful earth will now have an eye for the upper spheres, and a wing to mount into celestial heights. When grace has won the day the worldling seeks the world to come. The same fact is to be observed in the life of the believer. What multitudes of foes has our faith had to meet! Our old sins—the devil threw them down before us, and they turned to serpents. What hosts of them! Ah, but the cross of Jesus destroys them all. Faith in Christ makes short work of all our sins.

Then the devil has launched forth another host of serpents in the form of worldly trials, temptations, unbelief; but faith in Jesus is more than a match for them, and overcomes them all. The same absorbing principle shines in the faithful service of God! With an enthusiastic love for Jesus difficulties are surmounted, sacrifices become pleasures, sufferings are honours. But if religion is thus a consuming passion in the heart, then it follows that there are many persons who profess religion but have it not; for what they have will not bear this test. Examine yourself, my reader, on this point. Aaron's rod proved its heaven-given power. Is your religion doing so? If Christ be anything he must be everything. O rest not till love and faith in Jesus be the master passions of your soul!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Stop Waiting for God to Tell You What to Do

There are plenty of sincere people who are just floating right now, looking for God to give them a place to land.
I have friends who are working in jobs that just aren’t the right fit. Either the work isn’t in their skill set, their coworkers are difficult, or the vision of the employer is contrary to their values.

And there are people who feel that they aren’t doing what they are supposed to do — with hearts set on digging wells, or feeding orphans, or helping the elderly.
Justin Zoradi, writing for Don Miller’s Storyline Blog, talks about a friend who spent his days faithfully bussing tables. All the while, he was waiting for God’s call, sincerely believing there would be a sign, a voice or a clear indication of what his next step should be.

“I don’t think God works like that,” Zoradi writes. “Your purpose in life will never be written on the wall. And it will never be revealed to you in full.”
“You want to do meaningful work? Stop sitting on your hands waiting for God to tell you what to do.”

It doesn’t take much time in the Bible before I can find plenty of things that I should be doing. I don’t need a memo in a bottle. I don’t need a skywriter. I don’t need a 10-point plan.

It’s obvious to me without any prompting that I have attitudes to fix, forgiveness to seek, and bridges to build. Opening the Pages won’t give me an exact parts list for what I’m trying to build, but it provides a pretty great blueprint.
There is something to be said about simply acting with the knowledge you have. Even if you don’t see the big picture, there’s something refreshing about acting in faith and trusting God for the rest.
Living a Life of Yes usually means you’ll spend a bunch of your time stumbling along in the dark. But there is a light. It might be a pinhole in the inky sky. It might be a lightning bug giving a second of brilliance just enough to cheer you on in the dark.

Take what you have – your skills, passions, talents – and get moving.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Unity in the Church
We are the circumcision which worship God in the Spririt and rejoice in Christ Jesus

Philippians 3:3 KJV

There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Galatians 3:28,29 NIV

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us:wink:

That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

1 John 1:1-4 KJV