• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Jesus Christ Gives Light and Life
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

John 8:12 NIV

'I just don't get it...'

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment

1 Corinthians 2:14,15 NIV

God Loves You!

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

John 3:16-21 NIV

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“They are they which testify of me.”

John 5:39

Jesus Christ is the Alpha and Omega of the Bible. He is the constant theme of its sacred pages; from first to last they testify of him. At the creation we at once discern him as one of the sacred Trinity; we catch a glimpse of him in the promise of the woman's seed; we see him typified in the ark of Noah; we walk with Abraham, as he sees Messiah's day; we dwell in the tents of Isaac and Jacob, feeding upon the gracious promise; we hear the venerable Israel talking of Shiloh; and in the numerous types of the law, we find the Redeemer abundantly foreshadowed. Prophets and kings, priests and preachers, all look one way—they all stand as the cherubs did over the ark, desiring to look within, and to read the mystery of God's great propitiation.

Still more manifestly in the New Testament we find our Lord the one pervading subject. It is not an ingot here and there, or dust of gold thinly scattered, but here you stand upon a solid floor of gold; for the whole substance of the New Testament is Jesus crucified, and even its closing sentence is bejewelled with the Redeemer's name. We should always read Scripture in this light; we should consider the word to be as a mirror into which Christ looks down from heaven; and then we, looking into it, see his face reflected as in a glass—darkly, it is true, but still in such a way as to be a blessed preparation for seeing him as we shall see him face to face.

This volume contains Jesus Christ's letters to us, perfumed by his love. These pages are the garments of our King, and they all smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia. Scripture is the royal chariot in which Jesus rides, and it is paved with love for the daughters of Jerusalem. The Scriptures are the swaddling bands of the holy child Jesus; unroll them and you find your Saviour. The quintessence of the word of God is Christ.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When I Say I am a Christian

When I say, "I am a Christian"
Im not shouting, "I am saved!"
I'm whispering, "I was lost"
"That's why I chose His way"

I don't speak of this with pride
I'm confessing that I stumble
Needing God to be my guide

I'm not trying to be strong
I'm professing that I'm weak
And pray for strength to carry on

I'm not bragging of success
I'm admitting I have failed
And cannot ever pay the debt

I don't think I know it all
I submit to my confusion
Asking humbly to be taught

I'm not claiming to be perfect
My flaws are all too visible
But God believes I'm worth it

I still feel the sting of pain
I have my share of heartaches
Which is why I seek His name

I do not wish to judge
I have no authority
I only know I'm loved

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Deliverance from Hell
Future Blessings Are Ours - Deliverance from Hell

Israel shall be saved in the Lord,
with an everlasting salvation:
ye shall not be ashamed
nor confounded world without end.

Isaiah 45:17 KJV

The way of life is above to the wise,
that he may depart from hell beneath.

Proverbs 15:24 KJV

Teach me thy way, O LORD;
I will walk in thy truth:
unite my heart to fear thy name.

I will praise thee, O Lord my God,
with all my heart: and I will glorify
thy name for evermore.

For great is thy mercy toward me:
and thou hast delivered my soul
from the lowest hell.

Psalm 86:11-13 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“There brake he the arrows of the bow, the shield, and the sword, and the battle.”

Psalm 76:3

Our Redeemer's glorious cry of “It is finished,” was the death-knell of all the adversaries of his people, the breaking of “the arrows of the bow, the shield, and the sword, and the battle.” Behold the hero of Golgotha using his cross as an anvil, and his woes as a hammer, dashing to shivers bundle after bundle of our sins, those poisoned “arrows of the bow;” trampling on every indictment, and destroying every accusation.

What glorious blows the mighty Breaker gives with a hammer far more ponderous than the fabled weapon of Thor! How the diabolical darts fly to fragments, and the infernal bucklers are broken like potters’ vessels! Behold, he draws from its sheath of hellish workmanship the dread sword of Satanic power! He snaps it across his knee, as a man breaks the dry wood of a fagot, and casts it into the fire. Beloved, no sin of a believer can now be an arrow mortally to wound him, no condemnation can now be a sword to kill him, for the punishment of our sin was borne by Christ, a full atonement was made for all our iniquities by our blessed Substitute and Surety.

Who now accuseth? Who now condemneth? Christ hath died, yea rather, hath risen again. Jesus has emptied the quivers of hell, has quenched every fiery dart, and broken off the head of every arrow of wrath; the ground is strewn with the splinters and relics of the weapons of hell's warfare, which are only visible to us to remind us of our former danger, and of our great deliverance.

Sin hath no more dominion over us. Jesus has made an end of it, and put it away for ever. O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end. Talk ye of all the wondrous works of the Lord, ye who make mention of his name, keep not silence, neither by day, nor when the sun goeth to his rest. Bless the Lord, O my soul.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How To Grow Closer To God By Reading The Bible

How can reading the Word of God draw you closer to God?
Reading the Bible
Reading the Bible seemed like a simple task at first, but I soon realized that I needed some help in explaining certain passages. Some verses seemed so daunting. There are so many verses to write on our hearts and truths to be revealed that it’s hard to know where to begin, but the Bible is unlike any other book. It’s a book that can be read over and over again, and each time, new understanding comes, and the former passages that were difficult eventually became easier to understand, although many will always remain difficult. I don’t normally read a book twice, but the Bible is not just a book. It is the very breath of God, so here are some ways you can draw closer to God by reading the Word of God and other applications.

Meditating on the Word
Our church elder said that meditating on the Word of God is a lost art, and he’s absolutely right. Its one thing to read the Word of God, but it’s an altogether different thing to sit and contemplate what we read. I would rather read only a few lines of Scripture and mediate on these than read a whole chapter and then not remember most of it. When we take time to reflect, ponder, and mediate on His Word, the Word penetrates deep into our mind and this allows us to internalize it and memorize it. We lose out on so much when we simply read the Bible but don’t slow down to meditate on it. The Psalmist says we are to hide or memorize God’s Word in order that we might not sin (Psalm 119:11), and you can’t do that by skimming over chapters.

There is such power in His Word (Isaiah 55:11; Rom 1:16; 1 Cor 1:18) but we often don’t tap that power when we read right past it. The Scriptures tell us to meditate on His Word, both day and night, but you can never meditate on the Word of God if you’re not reading the Word of God. The Lord told Joshua, “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success” (Joshua 1:8). The psalmist wrote, “Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day” (Psalm 119:97), and that’s because His commandments make us wiser and give us more understanding (Psalm 119:98-100).

Context is King
Tapping into the power of Scripture takes practice and patience, but daily reading of the Word also helps us not take texts out of context, and this helps us avoid pretexts, so how do we avoid taking texts out of context? It’s so easy to rip one verse out of context and create a pretext, but often it’s a false one, and of course, we don’t want that. That’s how cults are formed. We need to read the verse within the whole context of the chapter, and even within the context of the book. Taking texts out of context are how heated arguments begin, but this is typically pride-induced. Someone takes one text to prove that they’re right and the other person’s wrong, but what happens is Christians wield the Word of God like a sword and use it against other in a way it was never intended.

Personalize the Bible
How can you personalize the Bible? You can do this by putting “you” or your name in a certain verse. Of course, it doesn’t work with every verse, but when the Lord s addressing believers, it works very well. Here’s an example: John 3:16 can read, “For God so loved the (Sarah/Gary/you) that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life,” or Colossians 1:21-22 works well by adding personal names: “And you Sarah/Donnie, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him.” Even on its own, the Word of God is quite personalized as we read in Colossians 2:6-7 where the Apostle Paul writes, “Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.”

Prescriptive vs Descriptive
All Scripture is written for believers but not all Scripture is written to believers as far as application is concerned. One obvious example is the animal sacrifices. To try and apply these to believers today would be ridiculous. These verses were written to Israel and are prescriptive to Israel, or written specifically to them and for them to act on (application). You must read Scripture as prescriptive, descriptive, or both, because some Scriptures are to be applied to whomever they were written too (prescriptive). Circumcision was not commanded of Gentiles. Those verses were prescribed only to Israel and those who joined with them, but they are also descriptive of God’s unique covenant with the descendants of Israel (Gen 17).

The Mosaic Laws are prescriptive, or prescribed for Israel, however, these laws are also descriptive because they describe how God sees sin and that sin requires a blood sacrifice. Paul wrote that he was crucified with Christ, but that is more descriptive than prescriptive because we no longer live in the flesh since we have Christ living in us (Gal 2:20). Cleary, Paul is not prescribing that we literally crucify ourselves; it is more of a descriptive verse showing that we must die to ourselves and live for Christ (Rom 6:8). We can’t read this and really believe that Paul was crucified with Christ on Calvary can we?

The Helper
One crucial part of reading the Bible is allowing the Spirit to guide us. There are many times when I have felt like I just read a verse for the very first time. It’s not that I hadn’t read it before, but there was suddenly a new revelation of the meaning behind the verse. This happens when we pray for the Spirit’s guidance? The Holy Spirit can help us make more sense of the Scriptures if we pray for His help in understanding what God’s Word is saying to us. Ask the Spirit to help bring you understanding, but within the proper context. Ask the Spirit, “Where is this applicable in my life?” Jesus said that “the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you” (John 14:26), so “when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me” (John 15:26).

Have a Plan
I love the advice of many Bible teachers and scholars who advise us to have a daily reading plan so that we can gain wisdom from the Scriptures. Personally, I read some out of the Old Testament and then some from the New Testament every morning. No Bible, no breakfast, so as hard as it is a times, I know I need it, and the times when I don’t feel like reading the Bible are the very times I need it most! We don’t eat one meal on Sunday expecting it’ll last us all week, so we must have a daily intake of our Daily Bread, the Word of God, to sustain us through the difficult trials, temptations, and tests that may come in the day. Have a plan and try to stick to it.

Take Notes
I love to mark my Bible. The paper is not holy….God’s Word is. I highlight certain passages that are very important to me. When I see certain verses, I write them out or highlight them so that I can memorize them. Second Corinthians 5:21 and 1 John 1:9 are very important to me because these are essential to every believer. When we read something, then highlight it, and then write it out, we give our mind three ways in which the Word can sink down deep into our minds, and then we can recall them when we need them during the day.

Conclusion
As for me, I like to start in the Old Testament and go from Genesis to Malachi and also from the Gospel of Matthew to Revelation, so I read it chronologically. Reading both Testaments gives me a good look at God’s plan and His will for my life. That keeps Scriptures in context (avoiding pretexts), enabling me to know whether it’s descriptive (the parting of the Red sea) or prescriptive (repent and believe). In this way, I can have God’s Word hidden in my heart, and it might even keep me from sinning (Psalm 199:11).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
God Gives Us Wisdom
For the LORD gives wisdom,
and from his mouth come
knowledge and understanding.

He holds victory in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those
whose walk is blameless.

Proverbs 2:6,7 NIV

Surely you desire truth in the inner parts
you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.

Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Psalm 51:6-10 NIV

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

James 1:5 NIV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling.”

2 Timothy 1:9

The apostle uses the perfect tense and says, “Who hath saved us.” Believers in Christ Jesus are saved. They are not looked upon as persons who are in a hopeful state, and may ultimately be saved, but they are already saved. Salvation is not a blessing to be enjoyed upon the dying bed, and to be sung of in a future state above, but a matter to be obtained, received, promised, and enjoyed now. The Christian is perfectly saved in God's purpose; God has ordained him unto salvation, and that purpose is complete.

He is saved also as to the price which has been paid for him: “It is finished” was the cry of the Savior ere he died. The believer is also perfectly saved in his covenant head, for as he fell in Adam, so he lives in Christ. This complete salvation is accompanied by a holy calling. Those whom the Savior saved upon the cross are in due time effectually called by the power of God the Holy Spirit unto holiness: they leave their sins; they endeavor to be like Christ; they choose holiness, not out of any compulsion, but from the stress of a new nature, which leads them to rejoice in holiness just as naturally as aforetime they delighted in sin.

God neither chose them nor called them because they were holy, but he called them that they might be holy, and holiness is the beauty produced by his workmanship in them. The excellencies which we see in a believer are as much the work of God as the atonement itself. Thus is brought out very sweetly the fulness of the grace of God.

Salvation must be of grace, because the Lord is the author of it: and what motive but grace could move him to save the guilty? Salvation must be of grace, because the Lord works in such a manner that our righteousness is for ever excluded. Such is the believer's privilege—a present salvation; such is the evidence that he is called to it—a holy life.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Baby Wildebeest

Wildebeests, a type of African antelope also known as gnus, migrate yearly in huge herds to the plains of Tanzania's Serengeti to mate and to birth their young. Also on the Serengeti Plain roam vicious predators, including the hyena. In this hostile setting a newborn wildebeest has about 15 minutes to get up and run with the adult herd. Slow starters risk becoming hyena lunch.

Discovery Channel showed film of a wildebeest giving birth on the Serengeti. Her baby barely had time to get used to breathing when the mother nudged it to get it standing. Picture the newborn on wobbly hind legs with its forelegs still bent underneath its bobbing head. Between the mother's nudging and the baby's inexperience, the newborn is worn out after five minutes of repeated attempts to stand.

Then the camera picks up a hyena approaching stiff-legged with lowered head and slightly bared teeth. The mother wildebeest bravely steps between the hyena and the baby, but another hyena appears, followed closely by a third. The mother lunges at the newcomer. Although it backs away, another skulks in closer to the helpless infant. Before long a circle of hyenas occupies the mother wildebeest while other hyenas eat the baby.

Meanwhile, spread out nearby, literally thousands of other wildebeest graze, now and then lifting their heads to watch the desperate mother attempt to fight off the hyenas. Any of them could easily help save the newborn, but not a single one does.

Satan, like the hyena, is on the prowl. He also has lots of help. If you try to stand up to him alone, you're almost guaranteed defeat--just like that mother wildebeest.

You can't survive spiritually without other Christians who support you, encourage you, pray for you, and help you grow into a strong follower of Jesus Christ. That's why, when you become a Christian, you are adopted into the family of God (Ephesians 1:5). That's why God created the church.

Our habit in today's world is to live our lives alone. To stay out of each other's affairs. To keep our distance. That's not God's way, though. He asks us to love each other and to care for each other, as brothers and sisters in Christ. We weren't made to be like all those wildebeest in the herd that stood off to the side watching one of their own get eaten alive by hyenas.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Counting the cost
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Matthew 5:11,12 KJV

"Hear me, you who know what is right, you people who have my law in your hearts: Do not fear the reproach of men or be terrified by their insults. For the moth will eat them up like a garment; the worm will devour them like wool. But my righteousness will last forever, my salvation through all generations."

Isaiah 51:7,8 NIV

Commit your way to the LORD,
Trust also in Him, and He will do it.

He will bring forth your righteousness as the light.
And your judgment as the noonday.

Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him;
Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.

Psalm 37:5-7 NASB

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift:

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Whom he did predestinate, them he also called.”

Romans 8:30

In the second epistle to Timothy, first chapter, and ninth verse, are these words — “Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling.” Now, here is a touchstone by which we may try our calling. It is “an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace.” This calling forbids all trust in our own doings, and conducts us to Christ alone for salvation, but it afterwards purges us from dead works to serve the living and true God. As he that hath called you is holy, so must you be holy.

If you are living in sin, you are not called, but if you are truly Christ's, you can say, “Nothing pains me so much as sin; I desire to be rid of it; Lord, help me to be holy.” Is this the panting of thy heart? Is this the tenor of thy life towards God, and his divine will? Again, in Philippians, 3:13, 14, we are told of “The high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” Is then your calling a high calling? Has it ennobled your heart, and set it upon heavenly things? Has it elevated your hopes, your tastes, your desires? Has it upraised the constant tenor of your life, so that you spend it with God and for God?

Another test we find in Hebrews 3:1 — “Partakers of the heavenly calling.” Heavenly calling means a call from heaven. If man alone call thee, thou art uncalled. Is thy calling of God? Is it a call to heaven as well as from heaven? Unless thou art a stranger here, and heaven thy home, thou hast not been called with a heavenly calling; for those who have been so called, declare that they look for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God, and they themselves are strangers and pilgrims upon the earth. Is thy calling thus holy, high, heavenly? Then, beloved, thou hast been called of God, for such is the calling wherewith God doth call his people.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How Grief And Sorrow Birthed A Vision of Giving

Here is a ministry that proves beauty can come from ashes.
Ashes to Beauty
A.W. Tozer wrote, “It is doubtful whether God can bless a man greatly until He has wounded him deeply,” but in this article, we’ll see it as, “God cannot use a man greatly until He has wounded him deeply,” and deep are the wounds that death often brings. The Word of God cuts like a doubled-edged sword, but it cuts in order to heal, not kill. It brings life, not death, but Jesus’ death brought us life, and sometimes death brings us new life, for example when we lose a loved one. We’re not quite the same person anymore, but God has a history of bringing beauty out of ashes, and such is the case with Michael and Randi Kilbourne. After Brandon Kilbourne lost their son in August 2017, they grieved for a time, but then, they began to think of ways that could bring healing to their lives.

What they discovered was healing came through helping others. It is from this simple statement (to help others) that Vision of Giving was born. Vision of Giving is a nonprofit benefactor created by Michael and Randi Kilbourne, and it’s designed to support missions that small, local churches chooses to support. They provide financial and moral support for those churches which have little of either. Vision of Giving provides support to churches for their local efforts and the missions they choose that directly impact the local community. Vision of Giving, inspired by grieving parents Michael and Randi Kilbourne, proves that suffering is never wasted, and sometimes, the suffering of one can bring comfort to others.

Broken before God
Our church has a prison ministry, and what I’ve discovered by experience is that God cannot fix what is first not broken. That is, until a person is humbled, they are resisting God‘s grace (James 4:6), so when some of these men confess their sins, their faults, and their brokenness, they can be nearer to God than before. The Psalmist wrote, “The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18), and nearly every one to a man agree that they do want to be nearer to the Lord. Many of these men have already been crushed by the consequences of their actions. They regret what they did and now they have come to the end of themselves.

Their backs are now against the wall, or more precisely, are surrounded by four walls, but, it’s only when their broken that God’s Spirit can come in and penetrates the stony hearts. By His Spirit, He creates a new heart and new desire for God (2nd Cor 5:17-20). Feeling crushed lately? It’s good to know because “The LORD is near to the brokenhearted,” so if that’s you, you’re nearer to God than most of us are. Rarely does prosperity draw us closer to God, so what if suffering brought us into a closer relationship with God, and He used your suffering to become more holy as He is holy? It seems that afflictions can create in us a renewed desire to live in obedience to God and His Word. But it can also create a new zeal in us, to be more on mission for Christ.

Compassion
The word compassion comes from a compound of two words: Com (with, or together) and passion (suffer with, to feel pity), so when we see people without Christ, we should be moved with compassion, knowing their ultimate destination without Christ. That should move our hearts to action. What price are you willing to pay to help rescue a person’s soul from an eternal separation from God?

Are you willing to be scorned, rejected, name-called, and insulted to the nth degree for the sake of Christ? For others, their suffering experience became an evangelistic tool for Christ. That’s what birthed Vision of Giving. They strive to make Christ known to the local community, and the best way to reach people in the community is through people who live in that community, and that’s the local church. They desire to give the same comfort to others that God’s given them (2 Cor 1:3-4). These prisoners can show the world that where there is great sin, there is a greater Savior. Where sins have done their damage, grace abounds all the more. That’s because, where there is much forgiven, there is much love (Luke 7:47)!

On Mission
The founders of Vision of Giving are traveling all across the US this year. It is their intention to continue to visit and support the local church’s mission in the local communities they reside in. These include benevolences, food pantries, sponsoring kids to camp, delivering food to firefighters, or whatever the local church sees as their mission field. These are but a few of the examples of the efforts of Vision of Giving. Their stated purpose: “Following our Christian values, Vision of Giving uses the ‘Feed My Sheep’ philosophy in our efforts to help others,” so they’ve been working with local churches across the US to enable them to reach out to people that need help the most. Essentially, Vision of Giving is a traveling charity that goes directly to the local community church so they can make a positive impact in the lives of that community. There are no applications or demanding paperwork necessary to qualify. Each church is treated individually and with respect to their local communities.

How Does it Work?
How does Vision of Giving determine who to help and with what resources? First of all, they don’t seek to strengthen already strong churches because they already have sufficient resources, but rather, they seek to strengthen rural or small town churches that don’t have many or any resources, but they leave it up to the local churches. These churches nominate the mission within their membership to receive the gift. It is up to them to decide what they want to do for the community. During the onsite visit to the church, Vision of Giving joins hands in a joint effort to support the missions that the local church chooses, and a mission which is based upon the greatest needs of the local community. Vision of Giving thrives on the positive impact they provide in helping those in need. That is their purpose. They enable and empower churches to reach those who otherwise might not receive help, and they do this by providing resources for smaller churches that have little or no resources of their own. In short, they want to help the church be the church (Matt 25:35-36; James 1:27).

Conclusion
As we have read, the great suffering this family has endured is paying dividends today and will be paying dividends into eternity. They are sowing into the kingdom the resources that Christ has provided for them. If your church has few resources for missions, please contact them today. My only purpose was to reveal that Vision of Giving is giving to others with no obligations or strings, and their sole purpose is to ease the pain and suffering of others; or to give others the same comfort that God Himself gave them. Whatever that looks like depends on the church and the community. But giving has always been the way of God (John 3:16).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Men Ought Always To Pray
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Now mine eyes shall be open, and mine ears attent unto the prayer that is made in this place. For now have I chosen and sanctified this house, that my name may be there for ever: and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.

2 Chronicles 14-16 KJV

Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ.

Colossians 4:2,3 KJV

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6,7 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Remove far from me vanity and lies.”

Proverbs 30:8

“O my God, be not far from me.”

— Psalm 38:21

Here we have two great lessons—what to deprecate and what to supplicate. The happiest state of a Christian is the holiest state. As there is the most heat nearest to the sun, so there is the most happiness nearest to Christ. No Christian enjoys comfort when his eyes are fixed on vanity—he finds no satisfaction unless his soul is quickened in the ways of God. The world may win happiness elsewhere, but he cannot. I do not blame ungodly men for rushing to their pleasures. Why should I? Let them have their fill. That is all they have to enjoy.

A converted wife who despaired of her husband was always very kind to him, for she said, “I fear that this is the only world in which he will be happy, and therefore I have made up my mind to make him as happy as I can in it.” Christians must seek their delights in a higher sphere than the insipid frivolities or sinful enjoyments of the world. Vain pursuits are dangerous to renewed souls. We have heard of a philosopher who, while he looked up to the stars, fell into a pit; but how deeply do they fall who look down. Their fall is fatal. No Christian is safe when his soul is slothful, and his God is far from him.

Every Christian is always safe as to the great matter of his standing in Christ, but he is not safe as regards his experience in holiness, and communion with Jesus in this life. Satan does not often attack a Christian who is living near to God. It is when the Christian departs from his God, becomes spiritually starved, and endeavours to feed on vanities, that the devil discovers his vantage hour. He may sometimes stand foot to foot with the child of God who is active in his Master's service, but the battle is generally short: he who slips as he goes down into the Valley of Humiliation, every time he takes a false step invites Apollyon to assail him. O for grace to walk humbly with our God!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
THE "CAN DO" GIRL

As I stood in the driveway watching my daughter Lori with her long red hair flying behind her -- and Maggie, part quarterhorse, part Appaloosa, with ears that looked all mule, I smiled.

They were running down the dirt country road near our home as they did everyday since Lori was given the opportunity to ride "the big horse."

I remembered when we bought Maggie. My son Jeff, Lori, and I went to see her, and a Shetland pony, with the possibility of purchasing them. We ended up buying both the spirited 3 1/2 year old filly, and the feisty little pony we called Ben.

Maggie was a bit thin, but healthy and stood 16.2 hands high (a good size for a horse.) In the days that followed we wormed her, had her hoofs filed and shod, gave her a lengthy bath, a good brushing and began to introduce her to her new surroundings.

Jeff was the first to ride her. Maggie wasn't too happy with him and didn't like the bit used on her bridle -- so getting her saddled, bridled and ready to ride was always a chore.

She was a mover, and loved to run. The trouble was she also liked to run right under tree branches, knocking the rider to the ground. Maggie proved to be a hand full when she ran under a branch and Jeff ended up breaking a couple of ribs.

During this time, Lori (who had only been on the smaller Shetlands and Welch ponies) bugged me constantly to let her ride Maggie. Knowing what it took to control Maggie, I always denied Lori a chance to get on her.

At the end of a rather hectic day, Lori again pleaded with me to let her ride Maggie. Tired of her constant nagging, I gave in and told her I would let her ride the horse for a short time, but if she got hurt it was to be the last time I wanted to hear her ask. She agreed.

I helped her get everything out of the tack shed. We put on the blanket, then the saddle. Finally, the bridle. Maggie not only stood there quietly, but actually lowered her head into the bridle as Lori held it up. I buckled the strap and taking a deep breath, told Lori to climb into the saddle. Maggie's big brown eyes seemed serene, and one ear turned back toward my daughter sitting proudly on the back of this "wild" animal.

Lori took hold of the reins and began to walk Maggie around the driveway. They went through trees to the dirt road and back to the house. To my amazement the horse was a perfect lady. Lori's 'brief' ride turned into more than an hour, and when she got off the horse she said her legs "feel like jelly."

The next morning Maggie was at the fence nearest the house and 'calling' for Lori. Oh, we thought it was hay she wanted, but we soon learned it was Lori's wake up call. Lori would grab something to eat, then out the door she'd fly with a special treat for Maggie.

It wasn't long before the two could be seen running over the hills in our area. Neighbors always on the lookout for Lori and Maggie, then letting me know they were nearby. There were times Lori rode Maggie to our little country church and tied her to a tree in the back. The kids loved it and would take turns sitting on Maggie as Lori walked them through the trees and back again.

Lori and Maggie would go down to the lake behind our place for afternoon swims together, or visit neighbors along the back roads. The story may not seem so unusual to most, but to me it was a miracle.

You see, Lori is developmentally disabled (it used to be called retarded) and while I always tried to encourage her to go beyond the limits doctors set, nothing did more for her than Maggie.

Doctors, teachers, programs, and even I, often failed my daughter, but Maggie taught her more about responsibility, love, and independence than any human could have. In this case, the 'teacher' not only taught the student -- she taught me a valuable lesson as well. To let go!

What if I had not given Lori the opportunity to ride Maggie that evening?

How sad it would have been for my daughter if I had not allowed her to stretch the limits one more time.

Today she is still stretching her limits. She lives on her own, maintains her own apartment, budgets her money, and is proving she CAN do it despite the doctors who said she couldn't.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
oon!
The Lord Will Teach Us
Current Blessings Are Ours
The Lord Will Teach Us

For this cause everyone who is
godly shall pray to You
In a time when You may be found;
Surely in a flood of great waters
They shall not come near him.

You are my hiding place;
You shall preserve me from trouble;
You shall surround me with
songs of deliverance.

Selah

I will instruct you and teach you
in the way you should go;
I will guide you with My eye.

Do not be like the horse or like the mule,
Which have no understanding,
Which must be harnessed with bit and bridle,
Else they will not come near you.

Psalm 32:6-9 KJV

If anyone is willing to do His will, he will know of the teaching, whether it is of God or whether I speak from Myself.

John 7:17 NASB

(notice our part is to be willing to do His will!)

Good and upright is the LORD;
Therefore He instructs sinners in the way.
He leads the humble in justice,
And He teaches the humble His way.

All the paths of the LORD
are lovingkindness and truth
To those who keep His covenant
and His testimonies.
Who is the man who fears the LORD?
He will instruct him in the way he should choose.

Psalm 25 8-10,12 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“O Lord, to us belongeth confusion of face ... because we have sinned against thee.”

Daniel 9:8

A deep sense and clear sight of sin, its heinousness, and the punishment which it deserves, should make us lie low before the throne. We have sinned as Christians. Alas! that it should be so. Favoured as we have been, we have yet been ungrateful: privileged beyond most, we have not brought forth fruit in proportion. Who is there, although he may long have been engaged in the Christian warfare, that will not blush when he looks back upon the past?

As for our days before we were regenerated, may they be forgiven and forgotten; but since then, though we have not sinned as before, yet we have sinned against light and against love—light which has really penetrated our minds, and love in which we have rejoiced. Oh, the atrocity of the sin of a pardoned soul! An unpardoned sinner sins cheaply compared with the sin of one of God's own elect ones, who has had communion with Christ and leaned his head upon Jesus’ bosom. Look at David! Many will talk of his sin, but I pray you look at his repentance, and hear his broken bones, as each one of them moans out its dolorous confession! Mark his tears, as they fall upon the ground, and the deep sighs with which he accompanies the softened music of his harp! We have erred: let us, therefore, seek the spirit of penitence.

Look, again, at Peter! We speak much of Peter's denying his Master. Remember, it is written, “He wept bitterly.” Have we no denials of our Lord to be lamented with tears? Alas! these sins of ours, before and after conversion, would consign us to the place of inextinguishable fire if it were not for the sovereign mercy which has made us to differ, snatching us like brands from the burning. My soul, bow down under a sense of thy natural sinfulness, and worship thy God. Admire the grace which saves thee—the mercy which spares thee—the love which pardons thee!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Heaven's Babysitter

Dear Maureen:

It's been 15 years since we saw your smile, that great, big, beautiful smile that buried the rest of your face. It was your trademark, a peek into your soul. When your eyes started crinkling around the edges, I knew what was coming, and I, too, would start to grin. With no words spoken, it didn't matter that we didn't have a reason to laugh. Just being with you made me smile like a fool.

You had that way about you that people noticed, a special joie de vivre. In fact, you loved being alive so much that I was slow to recognize the signs of cerebral palsy. You were physically challenged in a world which demanded perfection, but that was secondary to you. Your reflections on daily life made me sit up straight and pay attention. I wanted to be like you.

Trying to keep up with your friends was a bit difficult because of your hampered gait, but you sure did handle that cane with lightning speed! You were never late to class. In fact, you did so well that you graduated with honors and were accepted to Yale. Speaking three languages, your goal was to become a U.N. interpreter. I can still see you sitting on your Mom's sofa, holding your teddy bear with the blue sweater which sported a huge "Y". The world was your oyster.

By the way, did I ever tell you that you were the best babysitter I ever had? I wouldn't leave my children with just anyone, and it didn't matter that you couldn't carry the newborn. You'd rock him to sleep and hand him to his big brother to put into the crib, then you'd pull yourself up the stairs and stay with the boys until you were sure the Sandman had come for the night.

Evenings with you were major events. You coaxed the most beautiful music from our old piano, making me wonder why it didn't sound the same when I played. You invented games to play with the children, helped them with their homework, and told stories which kept them on the edge of their seats. The TV was never turned on when you were here. Thank you for that.

Only once do I remember you becoming weepy. "I'll never be able to dance or ride a bike. Sometimes it bothers me that my legs won't work the way I want them to, but, I guess it could be worse, so I have nothing to complain about." You, the teenager, were my teacher. I do hope I learned my lesson well.

You had a passion for speaking out against abortion. I remember the time you set up a "Save the Babies" booth at a Yale rally. Right next to a "Save the Whales" table. You warded off the silent looks of derision, and held your ground during the radio debate. Great job, you brave girl.

You worried so much about the babies, writing Right to Life messages on slips of paper and slipping them under the salt and pepper shakers in the cafeteria. You wrote letters to politicians begging them to reconsider their stand on the issue. So grateful for your own life, you couldn't imagine anyone not wanting a baby, no matter how deformed or handicapped. All that mattered was life itself.

Your academic record was so stellar, you could have graduated in three years. You didn't consider that an option, though. You felt that you had too much work to do for the unborn. You wore yourself out rising every morning in the pre-dawn hours to pray that maybe that day a mother would opt to keep her baby.

Part of my heart was torn out when I got the news that you had died. You had been taking semester exams, and had come home with a cold. That's all -- it was just a cold.

The church was overflowing at your funeral. Standing room only. The comments were traded among young, old, black, white, handicapped. You had important work to do here. How could a twenty year old die? With your talents, why did it have to be you? Look at all the evil people who destroy everything in their paths. Why were they still here?

But, God needed a beautiful girl with a big, flashy smile who could rock the babies and sing to them until their own mamas would be with them. There was only one person who could do the job of Heaven's Babysitter.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Justified by Faith
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ; Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Romans 5:1,9,18,19 KJV

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: according to the riches of his grace; wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence.

Ephesians 1:3,4,7,8 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“He openeth, and no man shutteth.”

Revelation 3:7

Jesus is the keeper of the gates of paradise and before every believing soul he setteth an open door, which no man or devil shall be able to close against it. What joy it will be to find that faith in him is the golden key to the everlasting doors. My soul, dost thou carry this key in thy bosom, or art thou trusting to some deceitful pick-lock, which will fail thee at last? Hear this parable of the preacher, and remember it.

The great King has made a banquet, and he has proclaimed to all the world that none shall enter but those who bring with them the fairest flower that blooms. The spirits of men advance to the gate by thousands, and they bring each one the flower which he esteems the queen of the garden; but in crowds they are driven from the royal presence, and enter not into the festive halls. Some bear in their hand the deadly nightshade of superstition, or the flaunting poppies of Rome, or the hemlock of self- righteousness, but these are not dear to the King, the bearers are shut out of the pearly gates.

My soul, hast thou gathered the rose of Sharon? Dost thou wear the lily of the valley in thy bosom constantly? If so, when thou comest up to the gates of heaven thou wilt know its value, for thou hast only to show this choicest of flowers, and the Porter will open: not for a moment will he deny thee admission, for to that rose the Porter openeth ever. Thou shalt find thy way with the rose of Sharon in thy hand up to the throne of God himself, for heaven itself possesses nothing that excels its radiant beauty, and of all the flowers that bloom in paradise there is none that can rival the lily of the valley. My soul, get Calvary's blood-red rose into thy hand by faith, by love wear it, by communion preserve it, by daily watchfulness make it thine all in all, and thou shalt be blessed beyond all bliss, happy beyond a dream. Jesus, be mine for ever, my God, my heaven, my all.