• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Help, I'm a Student Leader!

by Doug Fields

Someone gave me this advice once: "If you need to get something done quickly, ask a person who is really busy to do it." I've come to understand why this advice works. Busy people are busy for a reason--they get stuff done! Busy people are the most reliable at producing results, but they can have a life out of balance because of their busyness. Unfortunately, many student leaders fi t into the category of people who are overachievers and out of balance in their lives.

You need to learn as a young leader that when you say yes to something, you're saying no to something else. For example, you have lots of activities filling your schedule, and a friend asks you to try out for the school play. If you say yes to the play, you'll have to say no to other things. You have only so much time. The number of minutes in a day doesn't change to accommodate all your desires. You'll need to learn how to say no to things, or you'll overschedule yourself and have no margin in your life. When you overschedule, you'll find yourself saying no to your family, no to sleep, or no to time with God. Time with God helps you establish clear priorities about how to spend your time.

God created you intentionally with limitations. You're not designed to do everything. He made you to be dependent on others. When you decide to learn how to make the most of your time, you'll learn to say no without feeling guilty.

Just a note: Your life may not be out of balance because you're too busy. You may be out of balance because you're too self-absorbed. If you spend most of your time focusing on your own needs, you may need to take a positive step toward finding ways to get involved with helping others at home, church, and school.

Some students who are the least happy in life are the ones who are couch potatoes. They tend to be bored with life and are filled with relational tension, especially with their parents. If this describes you, you need to do something to improve your outlook on life. If you're bored, make it a goal to fi nd something to do besides lie on the couch and watch TV or play video games. Finding constructive ways to occupy your time will help you improve your feelings about life and help you learn to be a good steward of the time God gives you.

Whether you're overstressed or underchallenged, I hope you'll take a serious look at your life and discover what you can do to bring it into balance and make the most of the time you have. You'll be amazed at what God will do with a little extra time in your schedule. Your family will notice, too, and they'll thank you for it.

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely true!

We must keep busy for work that benefits others like helping out in church or other community services. When we are too busy doing things to meet our needs, we are going to be miserable as one Chinese saying: You can meet your needs but you can never meet your greed. Our selfish business to meet our never-ending needs will one day takes a toll on our life. Many illnesses are the result of this - stress, heart disease, stroke, etc.....

Christian brothers and sisters in this blog, pray for me as I am now traveling into another territory of my life and prayerfully to get busy for the benefits of others.

Psalm23

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hi again brother,

blessings.... and I will pray for your new calling , that you will be faithful to it.

Absolutely true!

We must keep busy for work that benefits others like helping out in church or other community services. When we are too busy doing things to meet our needs, we are going to be miserable as one Chinese saying: You can meet your needs but you can never meet your greed. Our selfish business to meet our never-ending needs will one day takes a toll on our life. Many illnesses are the result of this - stress, heart disease, stroke, etc.....

Christian brothers and sisters in this blog, pray for me as I am now traveling into another territory of my life and prayerfully to get busy for the benefits of others.

Psalm23

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Long Life!
Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it: that thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.

Deuteronomy 6:1,2 KJV

"Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all you who remain of the house of Israel, you whom I have upheld since you were conceived, and have carried since your birth. Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Isaiah 46:3,4 NIV

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

For by me your days will be multiplied,
And years of life will be added to you.

Proverbs 9:10,11 NASB

O God, You have taught me from my youth,
And I still declare Your wondrous deeds.

And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me,
Until I declare Your strength to this generation,
Your power to all who are to come.

For Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens,
You who have done great things;
O God, who is like You?

Psalm 71:17-19 NASB

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“But I give myself unto prayer.”

Psalm 109:4

Lying tongues were busy against the reputation of David, but he did not defend himself; he moved the case into a higher court, and pleaded before the great King himself. Prayer is the safest method of replying to words of hatred. The Psalmist prayed in no cold-hearted manner, he gave himself to the exercise — threw his whole soul and heart into it — straining every sinew and muscle, as Jacob did when wrestling with the angel.

Thus, and thus only, shall any of us speed at the throne of grace. As a shadow has no power because there is no substance in it, even so that supplication, in which a man's proper self is not thoroughly present in agonizing earnestness and vehement desire, is utterly ineffectual, for it lacks that which would give it force. “Fervent prayer,” says an old divine, “like a cannon planted at the gates of heaven, makes them fly open.”

The common fault with the most of us is our readiness to yield to distractions. Our thoughts go roving hither and thither, and we make little progress towards our desired end. Like quicksilver our mind will not hold together, but rolls off this way and that. How great an evil this is! It injures us, and what is worse, it insults our God. What should we think of a petitioner, if, while having an audience with a prince, he should be playing with a feather or catching a fly?

Continuance and perseverance are intended in the expression of our text. David did not cry once, and then relapse into silence; his holy clamour was continued till it brought down the blessing. Prayer must not be our chance work, but our daily business, our habit and vocation. As artists give themselves to their models, and poets to their classical pursuits, so must we addict ourselves to prayer. We must be immersed in prayer as in our element, and so pray without ceasing. Lord, teach us so to pray that we may be more and more prevalent in supplication.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What Jesus Might Say To You

Topic: Praying Without Ceasing

*Main Scripture*
"Use every piece of God's armor to resist the enemy in the time of evil, so that after the battle you will still be standing fi rm. Stand your ground, putting on the sturdy belt of truth and the body armor of God's righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News, so that you will be fully prepared. In every battle you will need faith as your shield to stop the fi ery arrows aimed at you by Satan. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Pray at all times and on every occasion in the power of the Holy Spirit. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all Christians everywhere." (Ephesians 6:13-18, NLT)

*Other Scriptures*
Luke 18:1-7; Romans 8:26-27; Galatians 4:6; Philippians 4:6-7; 1 Thessalonians 5:17; Jude 20

*What Jesus Might Say To You*

Despite the intensity of a spiritual battle or how strong or weak you feel at any given moment, I have given you everything you need to live a godly life and to stand your ground against any attack from your Enemy, Satan.

With every piece of spiritual armor you put on, you clothe yourself with me. I am your helmet of salvation, your breastplate of righteousness, your belt of truth, your shoes of the good news of peace, your sword of the Spirit.

But wearing your spiritual armor still isn't enough. If you run into battle fully equipped but aren't in communication with your command center, you will lose. You need my guidance, my wisdom, my encouragement, and my strength. That's why it's important that you pray at all times and on every occasion in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Praying at all times means staying in constant communication with me: When you wake up, in between classes, during a test at school, while you're hanging out with your friends, when you go to bed. Prayer is more of an attitude than an activity. Satan loves to ambush my unsuspecting followers. Without prayer he will catch you off guard every time.

As you pray, avoid doing all the talking. I know you have a lot on your heart, but make room for the Holy Spirit to guide you in prayer. Spend time in silence so I can respond to you. But also remember that you're in the middle of a war, not just a fi ght. Other people face the same attacks as you. They need you to pray for them as much as you need them to pray for you.

But there's one more reason why we need to stay connected: I just like to spend time with you!

Your Source for everything,
Jesus

*Summary Challenge*
Staying connected to Jesus is more of an attitude than an activity.

*Spend Some Time Journaling*

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Love One Another
"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband."

Ephesians 5:31-33 NIV

That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Titus 2:4,5 KJV

Enjoy life with the woman whom you love
all the days of your fleeting life
which He has given to you under the sun;
for this is your reward in life and in your
toil in which you have labored under the sun.

Eccesiastes 9:9 NASB

You wives must submit to your husbands, as is fitting for those who belong to the Lord. And you husbands must love your wives and never treat them harshly.

Colossians 3:18,19

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“The Messiah shall be cut off, but not for himself.”

Daniel 9:26

Blessed be his name, there was no cause of death in him. Neither original nor actual sin had defiled him, and therefore death had no claim upon him. No man could have taken his life from him justly, for he had done no man wrong, and no man could even have lain him by force unless he had been pleased to yield himself to die. But lo, one sins and another suffers. Justice was offended by us, but found its satisfaction in him. Rivers of tears, mountains of offerings, seas of the blood of bullocks, and hills of frankincense, could not have availed for the removal of sin; but Jesus was cut off for us, and the cause of wrath was cut off at once, for sin was put away for ever.

Herein is wisdom, whereby substitution, the sure and speedy way of atonement, was devised! Herein is condescension, which brought Messiah, the Prince, to wear a crown of thorns, and die upon the cross! Herein is love, which led the Redeemer to lay down his life for his enemies!

It is not enough, however, to admire the spectacle of the innocent bleeding for the guilty, we must make sure of our interest therein. The special object of the Messiah's death was the salvation of his church; have we a part and a lot among those for whom he gave his life a ransom? Did the Lord Jesus stand as our representative? Are we healed by his stripes? It will be a terrible thing indeed if we should come short of a portion in his sacrifice; it were better for us that we had never been born.

Solemn as the question is, it is a joyful circumstance that it is one which may be answered clearly and without mistake. To all who believe on him the Lord Jesus is a present Saviour, and upon them all the blood of reconciliation has been sprinkled. Let all who trust in the merit of Messiah's death be joyful at every remembrance of him, and let their holy gratitude lead them to the fullest consecration to his cause.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He Set Eternity in our Hearts

Part of our burden in life is that we are trapped in time. I can't make that clock move to the end of a bad Monday, no matter how hard I try. And I can't stop the minutes from flying by when I'm loving my day off . Whether times are good or bad, we have to keep plugging away. That's part of life under the sun. But we know deep inside there's another way.

Solomon tells us God has "set eternity in the hearts of men" (Ecclesiastes 3:11). He's hardwired us with a longing to step beyond the walls of time and be free. He's built into us a desire to be with him in the timelessness of heaven. It's something we feel deep inside, but it's not something we can fully understand on our own. It begins to make sense only when we see this longing in the light of the story of Jesus.

One of the most fascinating men I've ever met is a missionary and writer named Don Richardson. He came to talk at our church when I was a kid, and then he stayed at our house. He told us exciting stories from his travels around the world, many of which are collected in his book "Eternity in their Hearts: Startling Evidence of Belief in the One True God in Hundreds of Cultures Throughout the World."

In the book Richardson describes real-life encounters between missionaries and members of tribes who had never heard of traditional Christianity. The missionaries were amazed to discover that members of every tribe already had some belief in the one true God-before they encountered anyone from the outside world. Just as Solomon described, God had placed some deep knowledge of himself in their hearts. What they needed was outside help to make sense of their belief. They needed someone to tell them the story of Jesus.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Patience + Endurance
At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Matthew 24:10-13 NIV

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

James 1:2-4 KJV

Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry. Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Hebrews 10:35-39 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house.”

2 Samuel 11:2

At that hour David saw Bathsheba. We are never out of the reach of temptation. Both at home and abroad we are liable to meet with allurements to evil; the morning opens with peril, and the shades of evening find us still in jeopardy. They are well kept whom God keeps, but woe unto those who go forth into the world, or even dare to walk their own house unarmed. Those who think themselves secure are more exposed to danger than any others. The armour-bearer of Sin is Self-confidence.

David should have been engaged in fighting the Lord's battles, instead of which he tarried at Jerusalem, and gave himself up to luxurious repose, for he arose from his bed at eventide. Idleness and luxury are the devil's jackals, and find him abundant prey. In stagnant waters noxious creatures swarm, and neglected soil soon yields a dense tangle of weeds and briars. Oh for the constraining love of Jesus to keep us active and useful! When I see the King of Israel sluggishly leaving his couch at the close of the day, and falling at once into temptation, let me take warning, and set holy watchfulness to guard the door.

Is it possible that the king had mounted his housetop for retirement and devotion? If so, what a caution is given us to count no place, however secret, a sanctuary from sin! While our hearts are so like a tinder-box, and sparks so plentiful, we had need use all diligence in all places to prevent a blaze. Satan can climb housetops, and enter closets, and even if we could shut out that foul fiend, our own corruptions are enough to work our ruin unless grace prevent. Reader, beware of evening temptations. Be not secure. The sun is down but sin is up. We need a watchman for the night as well as a guardian for the day. O blessed Spirit, keep us from all evil this night. Amen.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Parents Aren't Perfect?

Okay, I know this doesn't come as any big surprise, but it's worth mentioning anyway. It's also worth remembering next time your parents don't do the right thing or say the right thing or can't even figure out what the right thing is. Sometimes they blow it. They make mistakes. After all, they don't really know what they're doing. Professional parents just don't exist. Parents are on-the-job learners, and they frequently make mistakes. They probably won't admit this to you, but it's true.

When you were born, you didn't come with an instruction manual. Sure, parenting books can help (your folks probably have a few of them), but not one of them contains information on how to parent you. That's because before you were born, no one like you ever existed on the face of the earth. God created you with your own blend of personality traits, gifts, talents, abilities, and special needs that nobody else ever had. And as every retired parent knows, what works with one child doesn't always work with another. So whether you were your parents' first child or their fifteenth, they still had to figure out how to parent you.

And you know what? They're still at it. That's because as you get older, you continue to change. Every day your parents have to figure out how to be good parents for you based on who you are and who you're becoming. Some teenagers require more discipline and control, and others require less. Some need more love and attention while others need less. There's no science to this--it has to be done by trial and error. That's why parents sometimes make mistakes.

I know I made my share of mistakes as a parent. I said no to my kids when I should have said yes. I said yes when I should have said no. I didn't listen to them when I should have, and I didn't talk to them when I should have. Sometimes I was too strict. Other times I was too lenient. The problem with being a parent is you really don't know what you're doing until after you've done it. Even then, it takes a few years to realize what you did wrong or did right.

Don't hold your parents to a standard of perfection you can't even keep yourself. They do the best they can. You should realize that you have a lot to do with how successful your parents are. You can help them not make so many mistakes. If you can make life easier for them, there's a pretty good chance life will be easier for you. As I said earlier, parents generally learn how to parent from their kids. Parents with problem kids seem to be problem parents. Parents with good kids seem to be good parents. See, you have a lot more power to impact your family than you may realize.

Parents aren't perfect, of course. They won't always do the right thing. Your parents may disappoint you from time to time, and you'll wonder why they can't be more consistent, more reasonable, more trustworthy, or more like the parents of somebody else you know. But parent envy only makes things worse. Your parents are human, and they're probably the only parents you'll ever get. In their own inept way, they're doing the best they can. They need your understanding, forgiveness, cooperation, and love--in spite of all their mistakes.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My Strength & My Salvation
I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.

Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

Psalm 27:13,14 NIV

For the LORD will not cast off for ever:
But though He cause grief,
yet will He have compassion according
to the multitude of His mercies.

For He doth not afflict willingly
nor grieve the children of men.

Lamentations 3:31-33 KJV

But the salvation of the righteous is from the LORD;
He is their strength in time of trouble.

The LORD helps them and delivers them;
He delivers them from the wicked and saves them,
Because they take refuge in Him.

Psalm 37:39,40 NASB

Many times he delivered them,
but they were rebellious in their purposes
and were brought low through their iniquity.

Nevertheless, he looked upon their distress,
when he heard their cry.

For their sake he remembered his covenant,
and relented according to the abundance of his steadfast love.

Psalm 106:43-45 ESV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“He expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.”

Luke 24:27

The two disciples on the road to Emmaus had a most profitable journey. Their companion and teacher was the best of tutors; the interpreter one of a thousand, in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. The Lord Jesus condescended to become a preacher of the gospel, and he was not ashamed to exercise his calling before an audience of two persons, neither does he now refuse to become the teacher of even one. Let us court the company of so excellent an Instructor, for till he is made unto us wisdom we shall never be wise unto salvation.

This unrivalled tutor used as his class-book the best of books. Although able to reveal fresh truth, he preferred to expound the old. He knew by his omniscience what was the most instructive way of teaching, and by turning at once to Moses and the prophets, he showed us that the surest road to wisdom is not speculation, reasoning, or reading human books, but meditation upon the Word of God. The readiest way to be spiritually rich in heavenly knowledge is to dig in this mine of diamonds, to gather pearls from this heavenly sea. When Jesus himself sought to enrich others, he wrought in the quarry of Holy Scripture.

The favoured pair were led to consider the best of subjects, for Jesus spake of Jesus, and expounded the things concerning himself. Here the diamond cut the diamond, and what could be more admirable? The Master of the House unlocked his own doors, conducted the guests to his table, and placed his own dainties upon it. He who hid the treasure in the field himself guided the searchers to it. Our Lord would naturally discourse upon the sweetest of topics, and he could find none sweeter than his own person and work: with an eye to these we should always search the Word. O for grace to study the Bible with Jesus as both our teacher and our lesson!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Spiritual Warfare: The Enemy’s Focus And Tactics

There is a spiritual war going on and with an invisible enemy, so how do you resist these attacks and what’s the enemy’s tactics?
Family Relationships
In this final installment about spiritual warfare, I wanted to discuss some things that people have experienced in the flesh. Several people talked to me about their experiences with demonic attacks. Several of their accounts shared similar experiences, but some were unique to the individual, but for the most part, it seems there is a spiritual war going on, and the prime target is the family. Satan or his demons have no problems with unbelievers because they’re already headed down the broad path of destruction. Remember they are still unaware that they’re dead in their sins (Eph 2:1-2), because they cannot understand the gospel, not being able to see “the gospel of the glory of Christ” behind the veil (2 Cor 4:3-4), so the enemy will focus on Christian families.

If he and his minions can destroy family relationships, they can undermine what is the bedrock of society…the family. If tempers flare, then relationships can be hurt, so families must understand that, even “though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh” (2nd Cor 10:3). That’s because our enemy is invisible to the human eye (Eph 6:12), so when tempers begin to flare, remember the admonition to be patient with one another because God is with us and in us.

Prayer Life
If you’re not on your knees, you’re standing on your own, so one way the enemy can hurt us is to try to keep us off our knees. If they can keep us busy with all the distractions of life, then they are helping us to cut off our only true source of help and hope. In this way, we won’t have time for God. Being too busy for God is Being Under Satan’s Yoke (BUSY). Experience has taught many, and I include myself, that when prayer seems the most difficult, and there is little time to do it, it is the very time we need it the most. Otherwise, we become self-focused. Many years ago, I counseled a young man about some major difficulties in his life. He told me his story, but I think there must have been thirty “I’s” and “me” in his conversation.

And, I only noticed one mention of God. Any of us are susceptible to getting a severe case of “Me-it is,” or navel gazing, so once again, I was reminded that “we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places” (Eph 6:12). The only way the Apostle Paul learned contentment (Phil 4:11) was to go through suffering. Contentment is a choice; it is what we choose, even in less than contenting circumstances.

Feelings
Some the most frequent causes of spiritual attacks come when you have overcome a major sin, you’ve just had a huge success, you’ve just been generous to someone, and you are consistently sharing the gospel. This brings to mind the Prophet Elijah. Immediately after a huge success over the false prophets, there he was…running for his life from one person, Jezebel, and so he prayed, “Lord, it is enough…take my life” (1 Kings 19:4). What is noticeable is that there can be feelings of defeat, right after a great victory…but, that could be the enemy. The enemy hates to lose and will come after someone who’s yielding to God’s Holy Spirit, so when you’re experience feelings of worthlessness, the slanderer might be trying to make you feel worthy, but who is? The point is, there is no more condemnation for those who are in Christ (Rom 8:1). He is our worthiness. Feeling unworthy?

Ask yourself these questions: “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword” (Rom 8:31-38).

Hypocrite
Have you ever thought of yourself as a hypocrite? The demons would love you to question your own sincerity, asking, “Who do you think you are? How can you share the gospel with someone when you’re such a wretch? How dare you pray to God!” The truth is, we’re no better than the lost; only positionally and relationally are we better off, but not because we’re better people (Rom 3:10-12), but because of Christ (Rom 5:6-10) and a good God. The problem with guilt is it’s not necessary; confess it and move on (1 John 1:9). When we feel we’ve said or done something wrong, confess it immediately.

Don’t let unconfessed sin linger because the longer you put off that prayer of confession, the harder it will get, and the harder it will get to pray, and when we experience times of prayerlessness, we are losing our most important means of help. For me, it seems that when I try to pray, the phone rings, someone knocks on the door, the washing machine decides to do its dance, and all kinds of things start to come into my mind. I had thoughts that were anything but godly, so that’s likely the enemy.

Maybe it’s because the only time that Satan and the demons really fear is when we are praying in Jesus’ name. Prayer is not easy…it’s hard work, at least for me. For some, prayer seems to come easy, but not when you’re under spiritual attack. When you’re under attack, and with feelings of guilt, the last thing you want to do is to pray…but, in reality, the believer can only move forward in life on their knees.

Facts
This might be the hardest thing to do when you are under spiritual attack or feeling unworthy: Read your Bible. If it’s hard, try praying back the Word of God like Psalm 103, 51, and 34. We put far too much stock in feelings and not enough in facts. Don’t believe your feelings….believe what God’s Word says. Feelings are overrated, so tap the power of God’s Word, and stay in the Word. Make a daily Bible reading plan and stick to it. Listen to an audio Bible in the car or while you’re exercising. It’s a great weapon to use in spiritual warfare, but also in putting facts over feelings.

Feelings are highly subjective, while facts are objective. One is believable (the Bible) while the other can be wrong (feelings). God, in His wisdom, left us with about 365 mentions of “fear not,” or something very similar, in the New Testament alone. That means that we have at least one “fear not”for every day of the year, but again, you might be under spiritual attack when you feel unworthy. The way to deflect these finery darts is to get into the Word of God, armor up (Eph 6), and fall on your knees. Believe God’s Word and don’t trust your feelings. Human feelings are highly unreliable, but God’s Word is always true.

Isolation
Many that I counsel feel that God has let them down and they fall away from church or their belief in God. They also stop reading their Bible. They might even pull away from their Christian friends, but that is just what Satan has been hoping for because that’s where Satan is most dangerous. He would love nothing more than to try and isolate you. He’s described as a roaring lion who is roaming about, seeking whom he might devour (1 Pet 5:8), and just like in the wild, a lion will attack the straggler, the one who becomes separated from the herd. If you feel like separating from other believers, take warning. You are more vulnerable when you are walking the Christian life as a solo act than when you’re with the Body of Christ.

Conclusion
Paul commands us to “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil” (Eph 6:11), and this includes the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shoes of the readiness of the gospel, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and sword of the Spirit (Eph 6:14-17). In this way, “you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm” (Eph 6:13b).

Isaiah the Prophet was inspired to write; “no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you”(54:17a). Even though this was written to Israel, there are still applications for the believer because there is no weapon that the enemy can forge against you that will prevail against you, for God is for you and will never leave you (Rom 8:31) or forsake you (Heb 13:5b). Remember Job’s spiritual warfare, but as for his life, the enemy couldn’t touch it (Job 1:11-12). His life was safe.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Let your confidence be in God...
Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them.

And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

Luke 12:22-26 NIV

Let not thine heart envy sinners:
but be thou in the fear of the LORD
all the day long.

For surely there is an end;
and thine expectation shall not be cut off.

Proverbs 23:17,18 KJV

Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: "He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us"?

James 4:4-5 NASB

"LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
Remind me that my days are numbered,
and that my life is fleeing away.

My life is no longer than the width of my hand.
An entire lifetime is just a moment to you;
human existence is but a breath."

We are merely moving shadows,
and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.
We heap up wealth for someone else to spend.

And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
My only hope is in you.

Psalm 39:4-7 NLT

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the Scriptures.”

Luke 24:45

He whom we viewed last evening as opening Scripture, we here perceive opening the understanding. In the first work he has many fellow-labourers, but in the second he stands alone; many can bring the Scriptures to the mind, but the Lord alone can prepare the mind to receive the Scriptures. Our Lord Jesus differs from all other teachers; they reach the ear, but he instructs the heart; they deal with the outward letter, but he imparts an inward taste for the truth, by which we perceive its savour and spirit.

The most unlearned of men become ripe scholars in the school of grace when the Lord Jesus by his Holy Spirit unfolds the mysteries of the kingdom to them, and grants the divine anointing by which they are enabled to behold the invisible. Happy are we if we have had our understandings cleared and strengthened by the Master! How many men of profound learning are ignorant of eternal things! They know the killing letter of revelation, but its killing spirit they cannot discern; they have a veil upon their hearts which the eyes of carnal reason cannot penetrate. Such was our case a little time ago; we who now see were once utterly blind; truth was to us as beauty in the dark, a thing unnoticed and neglected.

Had it not been for the love of Jesus we should have remained to this moment in utter ignorance, for without his gracious opening of our understanding, we could no more have attained to spiritual knowledge than an infant can climb the Pyramids, or an ostrich fly up to the stars. Jesus’ College is the only one in which God's truth can be really learned; other schools may teach us what is to be believed, but Christ's alone can show us how to believe it. Let us sit at the feet of Jesus, and by earnest prayer call in his blessed aid that our dull wits may grow brighter, and our feeble understandings may receive heavenly things.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How to Help Your Hurting Friend

Since Jesus isn't here in the flesh, He's depending on us to be His hands, feet, arms, ears. Are you using your hands, feet, arms and ears to bring glory to Him? What about the rest of you? Are your eyes seeing people as Jesus sees them? Does your mouth speak words of encouragement as Jesus would? Is your voice singing praises to His name? Are you going the extra mile for someone who needs you?

Jesus always loved. He calls you to do the same. When your friends are hurting, love them. When Juli battles an eating disorder, love her. When Brooke shares that she's been abused, love her. When Geoff confides that his parents are splitting, be Jesus to him. Austin tells you that his mother is dying of cancer. He doesn't need a bunch of philosophical words from you--He needs you to reflect the love of Jesus to him.

Sometimes Jesus loved with "tough love." In other words, He never made excuses for people's sin. He never said, "Well, that's okay. You didn't mean to." He allowed people to feel guilty for the disobedience in their lives, but He continued to love them.

You do the same. And when your friends are battling deep scars, don't allow them to make excuses. Love them like Jesus would. Sometimes that means giving a hug. Sometimes it means telling them something they don't want to hear, like: "I'll be here for you, but you've got to go ask him to forgive you." Or "I'll go with you, but you really need to see a counselor."

Being Jesus to your friends may not be easy, because Jesus didn't always do the popular thing--He always did the right thing. And sometimes doing what's right may cost you some friends.

Being Jesus means being willing to be a servant. Jesus told His disciples to serve--wash each other's feet. And to set the example, He knelt before them and washed their feet. Imagine! The creator of the universe washing feet! (See John 13:1-17 for the whole story.)

Washing feet can get stinky. It's uncomfortable. It's not easy. But it's right. I had taken a group of teens on a missions trip to South America. During the middle of the trip, I gave a devotion on how Jesus has called us to be servants. I called someone up front and knelt in front of him and washed his feet. Then we divided into small groups and began to wash each other's feet.

One group went left the room and went outside for more privacy. As they were washing each other's feet, a national military man walked by.Without hardly thinking, Jarod politely stopped him and motioned for the officer to sit on the ground with them.

A couple of teens from the group gently untied the man's shoes. One of the girls picked up his feet and placed them in the basin of water. Jarod began washing. Calvin grabbed the towel and tenderly dried the officer's feet.

One by one, they began sharing the difference Christ had made in their lives. When they had finished, the military officer was asking how he could know Jesus like they did. He prayed and surrendered his life to Jesus.

Why? Because a great evangelist had come to town? No. Because of a dazzling Christian concert with flashing lights and smoke machines? No. Simply because a group of teens were determined to reach out and be Jesus to him.

God isn't asking you to be flashy. He may or may not provide you with a stage or a microphone. But He is calling you to serve. To reach out. To be His hands to those around you. To be Him to a lost and dying world.

Will you do it? Even when it's tough? When you're wanting to help your friends come out on top of their problems, the very best thing you can do is to be Jesus to them.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Teach Your Children
Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.

Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Deuteronomy 11:18,19 NIV

And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do; Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?

For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Genesis 18:17-19 KJV

Correct your son,
and he will give you comfort;
He will also delight your soul.

Where there is no vision,
the people are unrestrained,
But happy is he who keeps the law.

Proverbs 29:17,18 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way.”

Psalm 119:37

There are divers kinds of vanity. The cap and bells of the fool, the mirth of the world, the dance, the lyre, and the cup of the dissolute, all these men know to be vanities; they wear upon their forefront their proper name and title. Far more treacherous are those equally vain things, the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches. A man may follow vanity as truly in the counting-house as in the theatre. If he be spending his life in amassing wealth, he passes his days in a vain show. Unless we follow Christ, and make our God the great object of life, we only differ in appearance from the most frivolous.

It is clear that there is much need of the first prayer of our text. “Quicken thou me in thy way.” The Psalmist confesses that he is dull, heavy, lumpy, all but dead. Perhaps, dear reader, you feel the same. We are so sluggish that the best motives cannot quicken us, apart from the Lord himself. What! will not hell quicken me? Shall I think of sinners perishing, and yet not be awakened? Will not heaven quicken me? Can I think of the reward that awaiteth the righteous, and yet be cold? Will not death quicken me? Can I think of dying, and standing before my God, and yet be slothful in my Master's service? Will not Christ's love constrain me? Can I think of his dear wounds, can I sit at the foot of his cross, and not be stirred with fervency and zeal? It seems so!

No mere consideration can quicken us to zeal, but God himself must do it, hence the cry, “Quicken thou me.” The Psalmist breathes out his whole soul in vehement pleadings: his body and his soul unite in prayer. “Turn away mine eyes,” says the body: “Quicken thou me,” cries the soul. This is a fit prayer for every day. O Lord, hear it in my case this night.