• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bible Quote for January 23

David's Punishment (Polygamy, Rape, Baby Killing, and God's "Forgiveness")

"Thus says the Lord: 'I will bring evil upon you out of your own house. I will take your wives (plural) while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor. He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight. You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.'"
Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the Lord." Nathan answered David: "The Lord on his part has forgiven your sin: you shall not die. But since you have utterly spurned the Lord by this deed, the child born to you must surely die." (The child dies seven days later.) 2 Samuel 12:11-14 NAB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Six The Hard Way

I was on my usual run. The mercury hovered above 90 degrees.
It was hot.

Sweat poured into my face stinging my eyes as my feet pounded
the pavement in a steady rhythm. I saw a man standing in a
doorway and then heard a shout,

“That will either kill you or make you strong!”

Both halves of the statement were true.

Such heat combined with the exertion could surely kill you.
It’s always an elevated risk exercising in extreme temperatures.

I waved and kept moving. Heat kills a few but inactivity kills
a thousand times more. His statement applied to more than just
running in the heat. It applies to all tough situations.

When tough things come, it will either strengthen you or break
you down. It will make you better or bitter. It will make you
an over comer or overwhelm you.

Tough things can kill.
They kill the spirit, hopes, dreams, visions and even desire.
Excessive pressure can make you explode
or make you learn new ways to constructively vent.

Spirit is very much like the physical; you can’t build muscle
without weight or put another way,
“Smooth seas never make good sailors.”

Heat, pressure, weight on your shoulders, and the constant
demands of life can make you strong. They build your faith.

After six miles, I finished my run, exhausted but feeling
better. I went inside, showered, and took a nap.

I ran hard for the six and then rested.

There are keys to improving your odds that the pressure makes
you stronger.

Run hard for the six then rest, is one of those keys.

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Six The Hard Way

I was on my usual run. The mercury hovered above 90 degrees.
It was hot.

Sweat poured into my face stinging my eyes as my feet pounded
the pavement in a steady rhythm. I saw a man standing in a
doorway and then heard a shout,

“That will either kill you or make you strong!”

Both halves of the statement were true.

Such heat combined with the exertion could surely kill you.
It’s always an elevated risk exercising in extreme temperatures.

I waved and kept moving. Heat kills a few but inactivity kills
a thousand times more. His statement applied to more than just
running in the heat. It applies to all tough situations.

When tough things come, it will either strengthen you or break
you down. It will make you better or bitter. It will make you
an over comer or overwhelm you.

Tough things can kill.
They kill the spirit, hopes, dreams, visions and even desire.
Excessive pressure can make you explode
or make you learn new ways to constructively vent.

Spirit is very much like the physical; you can’t build muscle
without weight or put another way,
“Smooth seas never make good sailors.”

Heat, pressure, weight on your shoulders, and the constant
demands of life can make you strong. They build your faith.

After six miles, I finished my run, exhausted but feeling
better. I went inside, showered, and took a nap.

I ran hard for the six and then rested.

There are keys to improving your odds that the pressure makes
you stronger.

Run hard for the six then rest, is one of those keys.

Don't take life too seriously and I'm sure you will enjoy every part of your life . Yes , smooth seas never make good sailor , sailor praying for winds do not make good sailor too :wink: sound logic ?

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Do we really need religion to do good ?

Freethinkers, atheists, agnostics, secular humanists – whatever name non-believers go under, are not America’s most popular minority. They are also, not a small minority. According to Gallup, in 2011, and Pew in 2012, they comfortably outnumber Mormons, Muslims, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists all put together. One reason for our unpopularity is the widespread belief that you need God in order to be good. Going along with that misconception is further belief that atheists are less generous than religious people, less philanthropic, less likely to donate to charity. Even if that were the case it would, of course, have no bearing on the truth of religious beliefs.

I would hypothesize that the difference in giving between the religion and nonreligious is negligible if you only count donations to pure charity and discount donations to atheist advocacy organizations, or to churches (including tithes) and “charities” that unscrupulously use their resources to proselytize rather than bestow real charitable benefits.

Incidentally, because churches are automatically classified as charities for taxation purposes is a disgrace. Nobody denies that some churches do charitable work. But that doesn’t mean that any organization should automatically qualify for tax-free status simply by calling itself a church. Each church organization separately should make the case that it does charitable work, just as anybody else has to when seeking tax exemption.

Examples of charitable relief efforts set up by non-believers in recent years include the Skeptics and Humanists Aid and Relief Effort, organized by the Center for Inquiry, and the Humanist Charities operated by the American Humanist Association. At the time of the 2010 Haiti earthquake, the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science set up Non-Believers Giving Aid (NBGA). Entirely through RichardDawkins.net, NBGA raised more than $500,000 (for Doctors Without Borders and the Red Cross) in less than a month, almost all of it in the form of small donations from thousands of individual subscribers, and passed it all on, without deductions for expenses, handling changes etc.

A recent ambitious example of such an initiative for non-believers to give was launched by atheist activist and philanthropist Todd Stiefel. The Stiefel family has pledged to match up to half a million dollars, which would bring in a target total of $1 million in aid to cancer research through the Foundation Beyond Belief.

The family initially sought to work with the American Cancer Society, which did not accept the offer. It was unclear why and Stiefel has been too polite to draw an inference about the situation chronicled twice by Greta Christina on AlterNet. If her thesis is even half right, the fact that non-believers are generous is even more remarkable. Could it be that they achieve their generosity in the teeth of difficulties put in their way by organizations that ought to welcome their money with open arms? Or that instead of earning a reputation for lack of charity, atheists have that reputation thrust upon them in a way that is almost comically ironic?

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society accepted Stiefel’s offer. In addition to ordinary donations, Stiefel has set up Foundation Beyond Belief as the rallying point for local freethought, atheist and secular humanist groups to create teams to participate in “Light the Night” walks. I am proud to say that the U.S. branch of Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science is an official supporter of the project, and I am also delighted to learn that FBB has decided that their 2012 effort will be dedicated to the memory of my friend Christopher Hitchens. I encourage all non-believers to go to donate, or better yet, join the team as a fundraiser to multiply the power of our efforts.

You can contribute to the Freethought Beyond Belief team, secure in the knowledge that the Stiefel family will double your gift to a very good cause – a charity which is happy to accept that atheists and freethinkers are full human beings whose generous impulses are at least as sincere as those of the religious.

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You know those Christians who preach love by showing off their bigotry? The kind of people who fight against tolerance for gay people? The ones who demonize everyone who doesn’t worship the same god they do?

That is exactly how I felt. I became a better person when I finally let go, before when I was an agnostic theist I wasn't sure, still had the same legacy of absolute morality that caused me to judge others. but once I became an atheist I realized, with no absolute morality and judge, there is not even the temptation to judge others anymore. I can love others and care for what's best for them, without regard to right or wrong. There is merely what is practical and best for me and others, and everything else.

Of course christians say "but we aren't supposed to judge" but come on, every christian IS judgemental no matter how much they try to stifle it. It comes with the belief in absolute morality: if there is absolute morality and you know what it is then you have a duty to enforce it, and people who disagree do not simply disagree they are on the side of moral wrong. You can't escape judging others as long as you believe that.

Also I can seek to do what I think is right for the best reasons, not because I'm thankful to god for dying for me or because I'm afraid of him, but because i want to.

I am free to be open and question where morality comes from. I am free to be wrong without fear.

I'm probably 100x a better person.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A Lesson Learned From A Bug

I pulled out of my driveway heading for my mom's and noticed a
katydid on my windshield. This is rare for the area I live in
since it is more city than farm or wooded area. For those of
you who do not know what a katydid is, it is similar to a
grasshopper. It is green but has a flat (up-down) body
whereas the grasshopper has a round body and is more brown
colored.

As I accelerated, I noticed the wind was making his body flutter,
but the legs were securely attached to the windshield. I was
sure he would lose his battle to the wind, but he kept hanging
on body fluttering in the wind. He did this for a couple of
miles. As I slowed down one time he tried to re-adjust his
footing. He released his grip on the windshield with just one
leg and it was all over, he was gone.

The wind is our trials.

The windshield is like the word of God.

When we hold on to our "windshield" securely, we are secure.

When things start to settle down we often loosen our grip on
God’s word. We start to rely on our strength and understanding
rather than staying in God’s word. That’s when the trials come
back and catch us unprepared and the trials drag us away.

If we hold firm to God's word, we will be ready for the trials
as they come.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Oh The Pain, The Pain

It hurt.
I was tired.
It was heavy.
I was out of breath.
I felt like quitting.
I was covered in sweat.

Up and down and up and down I went.
My breathing was becoming more and more labored.

Understanding makes a tremendous difference in bearing the pain.

I was on a stepper. That’s an exercise machine that simulates
climbing stairs. I had dumbbells in each hand. Have you ever
tried climbing a hundred flights of stairs real fast?

I knew the benefit that it had for my body.
The government recommends a minimum of 30 to 60 minutes of
exercise at least four days a week. It’s one of the most vital
yet most neglected components of good health.

The problem is, the exercise often hurts.
It’s painful to get out of bed. It was 6am.
Sleep is far more comfortable.

As I went up and down with legs burning, I thought how much this
reminded me of life. I could bear the pain in peace because I
understood purpose.

With so much of the pain that we bear, the central question is
“Why?”

We can’t see the strengthening of the soul and spirit.
We can’t see the avoidance of the decay and disease as a result
of the bearing of this pain.

We can only feel that we are tired, weighted down, moving in a
constant rhythm wondering when will I be able to rest.

Later I stood in the shower letting the warm water wash away
the sweat. I dressed and walked out into the brisk morning air.
I took a deep breath; my body felt strong, firm, vibrant and
rejuvenated.

With this instance, I understood the “Why?”

The pain was a distant memory.

Ritchie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Judge Not

I was shocked, confused, bewildered
as I entered Heaven's door,
Not by the beauty of it all,
nor the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven
who made me sputter and gasp-
the thieves, the liars, the sinners,
the alcoholics, the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade
who swiped my lunch money twice.
Next to him was my old neighbor
who never said anything nice.

Herb, who I always thought
was rotting away in hell,
was sitting pretty
on cloud nine, looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, "What's the deal?
I would love to hear Your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake.

"And why's everyone so quiet,
so somber? Give me a clue."
"Hush, child," said He, "they're all in shock.
No one thought they'd be seeing you."

SO JUDGE NOT OTHERS.

My prayer is with all the ordeals mentioned. Believe that there are past, present and future lives when one is still a human beings. The present ordeals and non ordeals was attributing to the past life and the future depends on the loving kindness and generosity at present life. And to surpass it, see others as God, Christians cant possibly having 2 minds, a God in one mind and other as hellish deep inside them. The only way is to be a God heart that see others as God, complete transformation, is easily said than done but Jesus done it. Prophet done it. If Christian would to dogmatically claim one die would ascend to heaven, why a need to live until aged, and enjoying for some while some was in suffering.
Atheism is the believer of Dictionary as their religion. Dictionary also having both good and bad but it did not entirely explained in details and great depth. My prayer is with all, and the world is a better place as loving kindness is to be courageously prevail in all - be openness and acceptance together.:cool:

Last edited:

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Finding Richie

My husband's brother had a birthday.

His brother Richie passed away 21 years ago, but this year he
weighed heavy on everyone's hearts. I went with my husband to
the cemetery which we hadn't been to in quite some time.
Once we arrived we couldn't find the headstone.

I called his mother to ask for some guidance in finding it but
then decided to walk up and down every isle until I could find
it for my husband who was visibly upset at forgetting. Those
headstones told so many stories while I walked among them, there
were mothers, fathers, husbands, wives and babies who had just
one day before God took them home.

When we finally found his headstone I felt no since of
accomplishment. It was marble with words. He wasn't there.

The good memories weren't there.

If we want to visit Richie, all we have to do is talk to his
parents or his brothers or his best friend. That's where we
should look, in people’s hearts.

We could move a thousand miles away and still visit Richie. The
part of our loved ones that we long for are much easier to find
than a headstone. I think we should visit those we loved often
with laughter, stories, and a shared love. I will tell my
children when they decide to visit me to just get together for
lunch or give each other a hug because that is where I will
always be.

Don't bother walking through the cemetery.

I won't be there.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Child's Ant
================

God had been trying to get my attention for some months, but I
was too deep in debt to hear Him. However, it took just one
divinely orchestrated incident to put everything in
perspective.

I had woken up early to prepare my two little daughters for
school. As I tried to put the older one in the bathtub, she saw
an ant right there. You would have thought she saw a viper.

All my entreaties to her to put down her feet were ignored: her
greatest problem at that point was an ant. To her, an ant was a
big deal, but it wasn't to me. I could easily take care of an
ant any day. Then I got impatient with her for fearing an ant.

At that point, it was as if I
heard an audible voice: "Is that not what you have been doing
to me all these past months?"

What? You mean all the debts I thought were big enough to crush
me were like that ant to God? I had to apologize for having a
low impression of God.

Today, a few months later, all the debts are gone.

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bible Quote for January 24

Murder, Rape, and Pillage at Jabesh-gilead

"So they sent twelve thousand warriors to Jabesh-gilead with orders to kill everyone there, including women and children. "This is what you are to do," they said. "Completely destroy all the males and every woman who is not a virgin." Among the residents of Jabesh-gilead they found four hundred young virgins who had never slept with a man, and they brought them to the camp at Shiloh in the land of Canaan."

"The Israelite assembly sent a peace delegation to the little remnant of Benjamin who were living at the rock of Rimmon. Then the men of Benjamin returned to their homes, and the four hundred women of Jabesh-gilead who were spared were given to them as wives. But there were not enough women for all of them. The people felt sorry for Benjamin because the LORD had left this gap in the tribes of Israel. So the Israelite leaders asked, "How can we find wives for the few who remain, since all the women of the tribe of Benjamin are dead? There must be heirs for the survivors so that an entire tribe of Israel will not be lost forever. But we cannot give them our own daughters in marriage because we have sworn with a solemn oath that anyone who does this will fall under God's curse."

"Then they thought of the annual festival of the LORD held in Shiloh, between Lebonah and Bethel, along the east side of the road that goes from Bethel to Shechem. They told the men of Benjamin who still needed wives, "Go and hide in the vineyards. When the women of Shiloh come out for their dances, rush out from the vineyards, and each of you can take one of them home to be your wife! And when their fathers and brothers come to us in protest, we will tell them, 'Please be understanding. Let them have your daughters, for we didn't find enough wives for them when we destroyed Jabesh-gilead. And you are not guilty of breaking the vow since you did not give your daughters in marriage to them.'" So the men of Benjamin did as they were told. They kidnapped the women who took part in the celebration and carried them off to the land of their own inheritance. Then they rebuilt their towns and lived in them. So the assembly of Israel departed by tribes and families, and they returned to their own homes." (Judges 21:10-24 NLT)

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
One Voice

My wife and I are away on a retreat.

We decided to go to the hotel gym for a workout. The gym was
ultramodern and we were the only ones there. There were five
TV's positioned over the treadmills and exercycles.

She wanted to watch a cooking show.
I wanted to watch a sci-fi program.

She got on the last treadmill on the left, I got on the last
treadmill on the right and we both tuned to different channels.

As we began to run, we both periodically got off the treadmill
to turn up the respective volumes on our TV's. After a few
minutes, both of our televisions were at full volume.

We had clear pictures but the cacophony of noise made it almost
impossible to understand the story.

I now understood why all of the televisions were tuned to the
same channel when we arrived. Too many voices cause you to
misstep and not understand the story.

If you are running (or walking) alongside someone in life, the
story will go a lot smoother if both of you have the same vision
and hear the same sound. When you are on different channels you
both get louder but hear less.

I turned my television off.

Cooking wasn't so bad.

After all, I would benefit from the meals.

Are you on the same channel as the one that you have chosen to
walk through life with?

Let those couples that have eyes see and that have ears hear.

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bible Quote for January 25

Kill Followers of Other Religions

"If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be their first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst." (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You Are Beautiful

You are beautiful. . .

It's a phrase that my mother uses a lot.

I used to wonder, "How in the world can Mother call them
beautiful?"

I am a logical, statistical man.
I call things as I see them.
I didn't see beauty.

My mother would tell people this with an enthusiasm they
could feel. She was genuine. She wasn't telling them they
were beautiful to get something from them. Most of the
time, they were trying to get something from her.

I wondered for years what was wrong with Mother's perception and
vision. Couldn't she see that all of the people she called beautiful,
weren't beautiful?

You were beautiful only if you had a certain figure and face
that was classed as beautiful by the laws of the world and
glamour. Yet when my mother spoke, people smiled as though
Glamour magazine had listed them as one of the beautiful people
of the year.

It took me years to finally understand my mother's vision
and the phrase, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

My mother had a spirit that could see the beauty in a person.

Most only look on the outside and then compare what they
see with the standards the world has given them.

That was what I was doing.

Today when you leave your house, carefully look at the first
person whom you see and notice how beautiful they are.

They may be balding, fat, wrinkled, pimply, or any of the
other things the world frowns upon as beauty.

Look at them closely and look for the beauty.

If you really look, you'll see it.

I didn't believe that at first until I tried it.
Sure enough, as I stared and opened another set of eyes,
I was able to see the beauty in every person.
No matter how rough or worn a person looked,
each pain etched line held a glimpse of beauty.

You just had to look for the beauty. It's there.

When you leave your home this morning, look hard at each
person. You will start to see the beauty of every human who
you didn't know existed. Trust me and try this.
If you sincerely look, you will see it.

When you get home after seeing the beauty in faces you see,
look in the mirror.

You are beautiful.

Thank you mama for all of the beauty that you have not only
seen, but added.

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bible Quote for January 26

Kill Sons of Sinners

"Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and possess the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants." (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)