• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Our Master Potter & Good Shepherd
But now, O LORD, You are our Father,
We are the clay, and You our potter;
And all of us are the work of Your hand.

Do not be angry beyond measure, O LORD,
Nor remember iniquity forever;
Behold, look now, all of us are Your people.

Isaiah 64:8,9 NASB

Woe to those who go to great depths
to hide their plans from the LORD,
who do their work in darkness and think,
"Who sees us? Who will know?"

You turn things upside down,
as if the potter were thought to be like the clay!
Shall what is formed say to him who formed it,
"He did not make me"?
Can the pot say of the potter,
"He knows nothing"?

Isaiah 29:15,16 NIV

Know ye that the LORD he is God:
it is he that hath made us,
and not we ourselves;
we are his people,
and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving,
and into his courts with praise:
be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

Psalm 100:3,4 KJV

So we, Your people and sheep of Your pasture,
Will give You thanks forever;
We will show forth Your praise to all generations.

Psalm 79:13 NKJV

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Satan hindered us.”

1 Thessalonians 2:18

Since the first hour in which goodness came into conflict with evil, it has never ceased to be true in spiritual experience, that Satan hinders us. From all points of the compass, all along the line of battle, in the vanguard and in the rear, at the dawn of day and in the midnight hour, Satan hinders us. If we toil in the field, he seeks to break the ploughshare; if we build the wall, he labours to cast down the stones; if we would serve God in suffering or in conflict — everywhere Satan hinders us.

He hinders us when we are first coming to Jesus Christ. Fierce conflicts we had with Satan when we first looked to the cross and lived. Now that we are saved, he endeavours to hinder the completeness of our personal character. You may be congratulating yourself, “I have hitherto walked consistently; no man can challenge my integrity.” Beware of boasting, for your virtue will yet be tried; Satan will direct his engines against that very virtue for which you are the most famous. If you have been hitherto a firm believer, your faith will ere long be attacked; if you have been meek as Moses, expect to be tempted to speak unadvisedly with your lips. The birds will peck at your ripest fruit, and the wild boar will dash his tusks at your choicest vines.

Satan is sure to hinder us when we are earnest in prayer. He checks our importunity, and weakens our faith in order that, if possible, we may miss the blessing. Nor is Satan less vigilant in obstructing Christian effort. There was never a revival of religion without a revival of his opposition. As soon as Ezra and Nehemiah begin to labour, Sanballat and Tobiah are stirred up to hinder them. What then? We are not alarmed because Satan hindereth us, for it is a proof that we are on the Lord's side, and are doing the Lord's work, and in his strength we shall win the victory, and triumph over our adversary.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Did Miley Miss the Mark?

Have you ever been overtaken by a wild animal? If not, let me give you a quick snapshot of the time I was overtaken by three German Shepherds who didn't see me as a little kid, but more like a moving bag of doggie chow.

At first, you realize you're being watched. That's when your heart races faster and the little voice in your head becomes a scream that says "get the heck outta here!"

Then you realize you're being chased, but the worst realization is when you work out the physics in your head that your pursuer is going to catch you.

Then they caught me on my home porch - I almost made it. That's when the voice yelled "duck and cover." Fortunately I sustained minimal teeth marks because my big bro came out and raged against the canines.

Did you know that the Bible portrays falling into a sin or fault like being captured or overtaken by a wild animal? Check this out:

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are spiritual should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself (Galatians 6:1).

The word "overcome" is a word picture of someone being chased down and caught by a wrong attitude or action.

Would you say that Miley Cyrus was overtaken by a fault with her performance at the Teen Choice Awards? In my opinion.yes. That outfit/dance is not something I would put in the whole "honoring God" category - especially for a pre-teen role model who openly said to a fan, "I sing, dance and act for Jesus! . Now that I think about it, I do everything for Jesus."

What is interesting when stuff like this happens (i.e. big-time Christian hits big-time controversy) is that it usually reveals what kind of Christians we are.

What do I mean? Well, if you noticed, there have been three basic reactions to the Cyrus situation - and I believe only one of them honors God.

The first is a ?whole lotta judging' going on. You know - ?How could she?' and "I don't think she's really a Christian' and much more superiority-sounding "blah blah blah."

Jesus made a clear ruling on this one:

Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults? unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor (Matthew 7:1-5).

In other words, whatever standard you're using on Miley will be used on you by God Himself.and I'm pretty sure you and I don't need that in our lives.

The second response I've seen is "So what? Isn't she free to dance and express herself?" Except for that part in the Bible that says this:

So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

This basic command sets the guidelines for a Christian's behavior and I'm just not seeing a basic pole dance as an offering of worship to God. Plus, for those who might be tempted to downplay this situation and blur the line between the life that God has called us to and what today's culture approves of, we have this principle to consider:

What sorrow for those who say that evil is good and good is evil, that dark is light and light is dark, that bitter is sweet and sweet is bitter (Isaiah 5:20).

So what's the third response? Let's go back to the first passage of Scripture we looked at:

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are spiritual should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself (Galatians 6:1).

The bottom line is that those who are "spiritual"- those who are living a life that's pleasing to God through the Holy Spirit - should "gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path."

What does that mean for this situation? Well, if your life is right with God, then pray for Miley Cyrus. Ask God to send some "spiritual" people into her life to help her figure out how to use her gigantic platform to honor God and not follow the typical downward spiral of most girls that find stardom at a young age.

And remember the warning as well: "And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself."

I'm not personally tempted to find a skimpy outfit and perform a similar dance on worldwide television - but I am tempted every day to disregard the clear teachings of the Bible for personal gain.

Aren't you?

The word ?sin' means to miss the mark, and I know I often miss the mark, but that shouldn't keep me from picking myself up and trying, in God's power, to do better next time.

So watch out for the wild animals and help those who are on the ground bleeding right now.

Take an informal poll with your friends to see if they thought Miley's actions were appropriate or not, then discuss the difference between judging and helping people see their choices in the light of Jesus' teachings about a better way to live life. For help with this, check out Greg Stier's blog post about judging. Ask your friends if they think it's fair that Miley's public statements about her faith in Jesus influence how people react to her choices?

Pray for an opportunity to talk about how one day we will all be judged and the only way to be prepared is by trusting Christ for salvation.

No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father (Matthew 5:15-16).

When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. But I wasn't talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don't even eat with such people.

It isn't my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, "You must remove the evil person from among you" (1 Corinthians 5:9-13).

For the time has come for judgment, and it must begin with God's household. And if judgment begins with us, what terrible fate awaits those who have never obeyed God's Good News? (1 Peter 4:17).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Walk in the Spirit, forsake the flesh
For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.

For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God;

For it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8:5-8 NASB

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious:

Sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord,
jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition,
dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness,
orgies, and the like.

I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19-21 NIV

So we, Your people and sheep of Your pasture,
Will give You thanks forever;
We will show forth Your praise to all generations.

Psalm 79:13 NKJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Meditation 8/6 - 8/12 He Is Our Righteousness Jer. 33:11-16 ESV
He is good...He is our righteousness

The voice of mirth and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the voices of those who sing, as they bring thank offerings to the house of the LORD:

"'Give thanks to the LORD of hosts,
for the LORD is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!'
For I will restore the fortunes of the land as at first, says the LORD.

"Thus says the LORD of hosts: In this place that is waste, without man or beast, and in all of its cities, there shall again be habitations of shepherds resting their flocks. 13In the cities of the hill country, in the cities of the Shephelah, and in the cities of the Negeb, in the land of Benjamin, the places about Jerusalem, and in the cities of Judah, flocks shall again pass under the hands of the one who counts them, says the LORD.

The LORD's Eternal Covenant with David

"Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will fulfill the promise I made to the house of Israel and the house of Judah.

In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David, and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land.

In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will dwell securely. And this is the name by which it will be called: 'The LORD is our righteousness.'

Jeremiah 33:11-16 ESV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All things are possible to him that believeth.?

Mark 9:23

Many professed Christians are always doubting and fearing, and they forlornly think that this is the necessary state of believers. This is a mistake, for ?all things are possible to him that believeth?; and it is possible for us to mount into a state in which a doubt or a fear shall be but as a bird of passage flitting across the soul, but never lingering there. When you read of the high and sweet communions enjoyed by favoured saints, you sigh and murmur in the chamber of your heart, ?Alas! these are not for me.? O climber, if thou hast but faith, thou shalt yet stand upon the sunny pinnacle of the temple, for ?all things are possible to him that believeth.?

You hear of exploits which holy men have done for Jesus; what they have enjoyed of him; how much they have been like him; how they have been able to endure great persecutions for his sake; and you say, ?Ah! as for me, I am but a worm; I can never attain to this.? But there is nothing which one saint was, that you may not be. There is no elevation of grace, no attainment of spirituality, no clearness of assurance, no post of duty, which is not open to you if you have but the power to believe. Lay aside your sackcloth and ashes, and rise to the dignity of your true position; you are little in Israel because you will be so, not because there is any necessity for it.

It is not meet that thou shouldst grovel in the dust, O child of a King. Ascend! The golden throne of assurance is waiting for you! The crown of communion with Jesus is ready to bedeck your brow. Wrap yourself in scarlet and fine linen, and fare sumptuously every day; for if thou believest, thou mayst eat the fat of kidneys of wheat; thy land shall flow with milk and honey, and thy soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness. Gather golden sheaves of grace, for they await thee in the fields of faith. ?All things are possible to him that believeth.?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So You Think You Can Dance...For God?

Pop quiz: do the names Kayla & Jason, Brandon & Jeanine, and Melissa & Ade ring a bell? They do if you're a So You Think You Can Dance fan. Now with over 100 episodes and 5 seasons, SYTYCD has captured the attention and imagination of millions of loyal viewers.

Not being the particularly off-the-charts dance fan, I must admit that watching the couples soar, twist, twirl and entwine around the stage has a certain appeal.especially for a guy that pulls a hamstring with even a simple moonwalk attempt.

Now I know that freely admitting as a guy that I find a dance competition interesting puts me at risk of having my man card confiscated, but there is another element of SYTYCD that is even more interesting to me, and that is the judges.

Think about it, in the hands of John, Abbey, and others is the fate of everything the dancers have planned, practiced, and practically killed themselves over.

And you can see it on their faces, can't you? When the dance is over, the moment of truth arrives, and their destiny is evaluated and determined based on their performance.

And so will mine. No, I don't even think I can dance in hip hop/jazz/rumba way, and even if I could, I could also care less what a panel of human judges thought. No, my day-to-day life is a different kind of dance. The music I hear is the whisper of God's Spirit living inside me, and every moment of every hour, I choose to soar, twist, twirl, and entwine my life with the plan that God wrote for me before the universe even existed.

You've heard the music too, haven't you? It's the prompt to help a homeless person, forgive a friend, and tell others about God's incredible message of freedom and salvation through Jesus Christ. At that point, you either choose to dance or you choose to attend to other music - the tunes of the world and your selfish nature.

Either way, one day the dance will be done, and the moment of truth will arrive. And, just like SYTYCD, your destiny will be evaluated and determined.

Please don't take my word for it, but please do take God's word for it:

Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment (Hebrews 9:27).

For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body (2 Corinthians 5:10).

On the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has done. The fire will show if a person's work has any value. If the work survives, that builder will receive a reward. But if the work is burned up, the builder will suffer great loss. The builder will be saved, but like someone barely escaping through a wall of flames (1 Corinthians 11:13-15).

There's a reason God was kind enough to let us know about Judgment Day, and that is to motivate you to dance your heart out for Him and His Kingdom. If you're trusting in Jesus as your only hope of salvation, you already know that you're going to heaven because of what Christ did for you. But additionally, when you work hard for God's glory with the blood, sweat, and tears of your days here on earth, you can look forward to hearing the applause of heaven.

Not only that, but Christians who live each moment with a thirst to please the Lord Jesus by loving Him with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength, and loving humanity as themselves, will also hear twelve words that will deafen even the loudest cries of approval:

'Well done, good and faithful servant! Come and share your master's happiness!' (Matthew 25:21).

Believe me, that's a reward for your efforts that can never be matched here on earth. Remember, whatever name, fame, bling or anything else you achieve from your time here will die with you. But every dance move you invest in response to God's voice earns you a reward that will last forever.

So.do you think you can dance? I believe you can - and I hope to see you in the victory circle.

Talk to your friends about SYTYCD and what they think about the show. Use that as an opportunity to bring up the subject of judgment and if they think they will ever be judged and on what basis. Pray for an opportunity to share the gospel as a result of this conversation.

Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt (Daniel 12:2).

You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat (Romans 14:10).

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son (Revelation 21:1-7).

Thought For The Day

"The man who sings his own praises always gets the wrong pitch."

Verse for the Day

"Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips." --Proverbs 27:2

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Two Pastors
============

Two Pastors wives were visiting and sewing their husbands pants.
One wife said: My husband is just beside himself, he does not
know what to do anymore and he is so tired and depressed he said
he is ready to just give up and resign.

The other wife said: I am sorry to hear that because my husband
has never been happier. Our membership is growing and we are
out of our financial burden, we have such a large and loving
congregation. Life could not be any better than it is right now.

(One woman was mending the seat of her husbands pants,
the other was mending the knees.)

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Forsake the flesh...Be ye separate!
Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

Colossians 3:5 NKJV

For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death.

But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit.

Romans 7:5,6 ESV

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

2 Corinthians 6:17 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.”

Mark 16:9

Mary of Magdala was the victim of a fearful evil. She was possessed by not one devil only, but seven. These dreadful inmates caused much pain and pollution to the poor frame in which they had found a lodging. Hers was a hopeless, horrible case. She could not help herself, neither could any human succour avail. But Jesus passed that way, and unsought, and probably even resisted by the poor demoniac, he uttered the word of power, and Mary of Magdala became a trophy of the healing power of Jesus. All the seven demons left her, left her never to return, forcibly ejected by the Lord of all.

What a blessed deliverance! What a happy change! From delirium to delight, from despair to peace, from hell to heaven! Straightway she became a constant follower of Jesus, catching his every word, following his devious steps, sharing his toilsome life; and withal she became his generous helper, first among that band of healed and grateful women who ministered unto him of their substance. When Jesus was lifted up in crucifixion, Mary remained the sharer of his shame: we find her first beholding from afar, and then drawing near to the foot of the cross. She could not die on the cross with Jesus, but she stood as near it as she could, and when his blessed body was taken down, she watched to see how and where it was laid.

She was the faithful and watchful believer, last at the sepulchre where Jesus slept, first at the grave whence he arose. Her holy fidelity made her a favoured beholder of her beloved Rabboni, who deigned to call her by her name, and to make her his messenger of good news to the trembling disciples and Peter. Thus grace found her a maniac and made her a minister, cast out devils and gave her to behold angels, delivered her from Satan, and united her for ever to the Lord Jesus. May I also be such a miracle of grace!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don’t Worry
===========

A pastor had been on a long flight from one place to another.
The first warning of the approaching problems came when the sign
on the airplane flashed on: Fasten your seat belts. Then,
after a while, a calm voice said, "We shall not be serving the
beverages at this time as we are expecting a little turbulence.
Please be sure your seat belt is fastened."

As he looked around the aircraft, it became obvious that many of
the passengers were becoming apprehensive. Later, the voice of
the announcer said, "We are so sorry that we are unable to serve
the meal at this time. The turbulence is still ahead of us."

And then the storm broke. The ominous cracks of thunder could
be heard even above the roar of the engines. Lightning lit up
the darkening skies, and within moments that great plane was
like a cork tossed around on a celestial ocean. One moment the
airplane was lifted on terrific currents of air; the next,
it dropped as if it were about to crash.

The pastor confessed that he shared the discomfort and fear of
those around him. He said, "As I looked around the plane, I
could see that nearly all the passengers were upset and alarmed.
Some were praying. The future seemed ominous and many were
wondering if they would make it through the storm.

"Then, I suddenly saw a little girl. Apparently the storm meant
nothing to her. She had tucked her feet beneath her as she sat
on her seat; she was reading a book and everything within her
small world was calm and orderly.

"Sometimes she closed her eyes, then she would read again; then
she would straighten her legs, but worry and fear were not in
her world. When the plane was being buffeted by the terrible
storm when it lurched this way and that, as it rose and fell
with frightening severity, when all the adults were scared half
to death, that marvelous child was completely composed and
unafraid." The minister could hardly believe his eyes.

It was not surprising therefore, that when the plane finally
reached its destination and all the passengers were hurrying to
disembark, our pastor lingered to speak to the girl whom he had
watched for such a long time. Having commented about the storm
and behavior of the plane, he asked why she had not been afraid.

The child replied,
"Cause my Daddy's the pilot, and he's taking me home."

There are many kinds of storms that buffet us.

Physical, mental, financial, domestic, and many other storms can
easily and quickly darken our skies and throw our plane into
apparently uncontrollable movement. We have all known such
times, and let us be honest and confess, it is much easier to be
at rest when our feet are on the ground than when we are being
tossed about a darkened sky.

Let us remember: Our Father is the Pilot.
He is in control and taking us home.

Don't worry.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Be the new creation He has made you
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.

Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

Ephesians 4:31,32 NASB

But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

Colossians 3:8-10 NIV

So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up to salvation-- if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.

1 Peter 2:1-3 ESV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Son of Man hath power on earth to forgive sins.?

Matthew 9:6

Behold one of the great Physician's mightiest arts: he has power to forgive sin! While here he lived below, before the ransom had been paid, before the blood had been literally sprinkled on the mercy-seat, he had power to forgive sin. Hath he not power to do it now that he hath died? What power must dwell in him who to the utmost farthing has faithfully discharged the debts of his people! He has boundless power now that he has finished transgression and made an end of sin.

If ye doubt it, see him rising from the dead! behold him in ascending splendour raised to the right hand of God! Hear him pleading before the eternal Father, pointing to his wounds, urging the merit of his sacred passion! What power to forgive is here! ?He hath ascended on high, and received gifts for men.? ?He is exalted on high to give repentance and remission of sins.? The most crimson sins are removed by the crimson of his blood. At this moment, dear reader, whatever thy sinfulness, Christ has power to pardon, power to pardon thee, and millions such as thou art.

A word will speak it. He has nothing more to do to win thy pardon; all the atoning work is done. He can, in answer to thy tears, forgive thy sins today, and make thee know it. He can breathe into thy soul at this very moment a peace with God which passeth all understanding, which shall spring from perfect remission of thy manifold iniquities. Dost thou believe that? I trust thou believest it. Mayst thou experience now the power of Jesus to forgive sin! Waste no time in applying to the Physician of souls, but hasten to him with words like these:?

?Jesus! Master! hear my cry;
Save me, heal me with a word;
Fainting at thy feet I lie,
Thou my whisper'd plaint hast heard.?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Art of Waiting

By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them.... - Exodus 13:21

How are you at waiting on God? How do you determine if God is giving you the green light to move forward? Many workplace believers make the mistake of adding up all the pluses and then concluding that God has given them the green light. Several factors go into making a decision from the Lord.

It is important to do three things before you make a decision on a matter. First, you should gather facts. Fact gathering allows you to determine all the realities of a given situation. However, this does not ultimately drive your decision, but it can put a stop to it. For instance, if you were planning to build a shopping center and you knew the only way to lease the space was to rent to a porn shop, your decision would be made. God would not lead you to enter into unrighteous ventures.

Second, is the Holy Spirit guiding you in your decision? "If the Lord delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm" (Ps. 37:23). George Mueller cites that the steps are also "by the Lord." God puts hedges around us, but many times we bull our way through the hedges under the guise of tenacity and perseverance. This too is unrighteousness. One wise workplace believer stated that the greatest success one can have in business is to know when it is time to pull the plug rather than keep forcing a situation. Not all businesses last forever.

Third, has your decision been confirmed? God has placed others around us to be used as instruments in our lives to confirm decisions and keep us from the deceit of our own heart. "Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses" (2 Cor. 13:1b). This is God's way of keeping us within the hedge of His protection.

"Write your plans in pencil and give God the eraser."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Walk in newness of life
Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

Romans 6:4 NASB

"Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know-- this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it.

Acts 2:22-24 ESV

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.

2 Corinthians 5:17,18 ESV

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace.

Ephesians 2:10,14-15 NKJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Everlasting consolation.”

2 Thessalonians 2:16

“Consolation.” There is music in the word: like David's harp, it charms away the evil spirit of melancholy. It was a distinguished honour to Barnabas to be called “the son of consolation”; nay, it is one of the illustrious names of a greater than Barnabas, for the Lord Jesus is “the consolation of Israel.” “Everlasting consolation” — here is the cream of all, for the eternity of comfort is the crown and glory of it.

What is this “everlasting consolation”? It includes a sense of pardoned sin. A Christian man has received in his heart the witness of the Spirit that his iniquities are put away like a cloud, and his transgressions like a thick cloud. If sin be pardoned, is not that an everlasting consolation? Next, the Lord gives his people an abiding sense of acceptance in Christ. The Christian knows that God looks upon him as standing in union with Jesus. Union to the risen Lord is a consolation of the most abiding order; it is, in fact, everlasting.

Let sickness prostrate us, have we not seen hundreds of believers as happy in the weakness of disease as they would have been in the strength of hale and blooming health? Let death's arrows pierce us to the heart, our comfort dies not, for have not our ears full often heard the songs of saints as they have rejoiced because the living love of God was shed abroad in their hearts in dying moments? Yes, a sense of acceptance in the Beloved is an everlasting consolation. Moreover, the Christian has a conviction of his security. God has promised to save those who trust in Christ: the Christian does trust in Christ, and he believes that God will be as good as his word, and will save him. He feels that he is safe by virtue of his being bound up with the person and work of Jesus.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
O Lord increase our faith!
And He said to them, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

Matthew 17:20 NASB

And the apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith."

So the Lord said, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, "Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.

Luke 17:5,6 NKJV

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Romans 10:16,17 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“The bow shall be seen in the cloud.”

Genesis 9:14

The rainbow, the symbol of the covenant with Noah, is typical of our Lord Jesus, who is the Lord's witness to the people. When may we expect to see the token of the covenant? The rainbow is only to be seen painted upon a cloud. When the sinner's conscience is dark with clouds, when he remembers his past sin, and mourneth and lamenteth before God, Jesus Christ is revealed to him as the covenant Rainbow, displaying all the glorious hues of the divine character and betokening peace.

To the believer, when his trials and temptations surround him, it is sweet to behold the person of our Lord Jesus Christ — to see him bleeding, living, rising, and pleading for us. God's rainbow is hung over the cloud of our sins, our sorrows, and our woes, to prophesy deliverance. Nor does a cloud alone give a rainbow, there must be the crystal drops to reflect the light of the sun. So, our sorrows must not only threaten, but they must really fall upon us. There had been no Christ for us if the vengeance of God had been merely a threatening cloud: punishment must fall in terrible drops upon the Surety. Until there is a real anguish in the sinner's conscience, there is no Christ for him; until the chastisement which he feels becomes grievous, he cannot see Jesus.

But there must also be a sun; for clouds and drops of rain make not rainbows unless the sun shineth. Beloved, our God, who is as the sun to us, always shines, but we do not always see him — clouds hide his face; but no matter what drops may be falling, or what clouds may be threatening, if he does but shine there will be a rainbow at once. It is said that when we see the rainbow the shower is over. Certain it is, that when Christ comes, our troubles remove; when we behold Jesus, our sins vanish, and our doubts and fears subside. When Jesus walks the waters of the sea, how profound the calm!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Pastor and his son
A good reminder of God's Love.

Every Sunday afternoon, after the morning service at the church, the Pastor and his eleven year old son would go out into their town and hand out Gospel Tracts.

This particular Sunday afternoon, as it came time for the Pastor and his son to go to the streets with their tracts, it was very cold outside, as well as pouring down rain. The boy bundled up in his warmest and driest clothes and said, "OK, dad, I'm ready."

His Pastor dad asked, "Ready for what?""Dad, it's time we gather our tracts together and go out." Dad responds, "Son, it's very cold outside and it's pouring down rain."

The boy gives his dad a surprised look, asking, "But Dad, aren't people still going to Hell, even though it's raining?"

Dad answers, "Son, I am not going out in this weather." Despondently, the boy asks, "Dad, can I go? Please?"

His father hesitated for a moment then said, "Son, you can go. Here are the tracts, be careful son."

"Thanks Dad!"

And with that, he was off and out into the rain. his eleven year old boy walked the streets of the town going door to door and handing everybody he met in the street a Gospel Tract.

After two hours of walking in the rain, he was soaking, bone-chilled wet and down to his VERY LAST TRACT. He stopped on a corner and looked for someone to hand a tract to, but the streets were totally deserted.

Then he turned toward the first home he saw and started up the sidewalk to the front door and rang the door bell. He rang the bell, but nobody answered. He rang it again and again, but still no one answered. He waited but still no answer.

Finally, this eleven year old trooper turned to leave, but something stopped him. Again, he turned to the door and rang the bell and knocked loudly on the door with his fist. He waited, something holding him there on the front porch! He rang again and this time the door slowly opened. Standing in the doorway was a very sad-looking elderly lady. She softly asked, "What can I do for you, son?" With radiant eyes and a smile that lit up her world, this little boy said, "Ma'am, I'm sorry if I disturbed you, but I just want to tell you that *JESUS REALLY DOES LOVE YOU* and I came to give you my very last Gospel Tract which will tell you all about JESUS and His great LOVE."

With that, he handed her his last tract and turned to leave. She called to him as he departed. "Thank you, son! And God Bless You!"

Well, the following Sunday morning in church Pastor Dad was in the pulpit. As the service began, he asked, "Does anybody have any testimony or want to say anything?"

Slowly, in the back row of the church, an elderly lady stood to her feet. As she began to speak, a look of glorious radiance came from her face, "No one in this church knows me. I've never been here before. You see, before last Sunday I was not a Christian. My husband passed on some time ago, leaving me totally alone in this world. Last Sunday, being a particularly cold and rainy day, it was even more so in my heart that I came to the end of the line where I no longer had any hope or will to live.

So I took a rope and a chair and ascended the stairway into the attic of my home. I fastened the rope securely to a rafter in the roof, then stood on the chair and fastened the other end of the rope around my neck. Standing on that chair, so lonely and brokenhearted I was about to leap off, when suddenly the loud ringing of my doorbell downstairs startled me. I thought, "I'll wait a minute, and whoever it is will go away." I waited and waited, but the ringing doorbell seemed to get louder and more insistent, and then the person ringing also started knocking loudly. I thought to myself again, "Who on earth could this be? Nobody ever rings my bell or comes to see me." I loosened the rope from my neck and started for the front door, all the while the bell rang louder and louder.

When I opened the door and looked I could hardly believe my eyes, for there on my front porch was the most radiant and angelic little boy I had ever seen in my life. His SMILE, oh, I could never describe it to you! The words that came from his mouth caused my heart that had long been dead, TO LEAP TO LIFE as he exclaimed with a cherub-like voice, "Ma'am, I just came to tell you that JESUS REALLY DOES LOVE YOU." Then he gave me this Gospel Tract that I now hold in my hand.

As the little angel disappeared back out into the cold and rain, I closed my door and read slowly every word of this Gospel Tract. Then I went up to my attic to get my rope and chair. I wouldn't be needing them any more.

You see---I am now a Happy Child of the KING. Since the address of your church was on the back of this Gospel Tract, I have come here to personally say THANK YOU to God's little angel who came just in the nick of time and by so doing, spared my soul from an eternity in hell."

There was not a dry eye in the church. And as shouts of praise and honor to THE KING resounded off the very rafters of the building, Pastor Dad descended from the pulpit to the front pew where the little angel was seated.

He took his son in his arms and sobbed uncontrollably. Probably no church has had a more glorious moment, and probably this universe has never seen a Papa that was more filled with love & honor for his son... Except for One.

Our Father also allowed His Son to go out into a cold and dark world. He received His Son back with joy unspeakable, and as all of heaven shouted praises and honor to The King, the Father sat His beloved Son on a throne far above all principality and power and every name that is named.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sea Storm or Seesaw
====================

I was swimming in the ocean getting my exercise.

The wind was rather high and so were the waves.
I was swimming parallel to the beach.

As I stroked, I turned my head towards the waves to breathe with
each stroke. Since the waves were rather high, I didn't want to
be caught by surprise when a big one came.

The big waves smashed into my face and every so often, part of
that wave went down my throat. After I had gulped about three
mouthfuls of seawater, I knew I needed a new tactic.

I started facing the beach instead of the waves.
I was concerned that a big wave would come, and I wouldn't see
it and I would get swamped.

That didn't happen. I rose and fell smoothly with the waves,
and the waves hit the back of my head. The water stayed in the
ocean and out of my throat. Instead of feeling like a sea storm,
it felt like a seesaw.

We all have waves in life.

Too often, we stand defiantly facing the problem with our mouths
wide open,

and we get swamped and choked.

Sometimes, if you just turn your cheeks the other way, ride the
waves, and keep your mouth shut, things go a lot smoother