• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When It’s All About Angels, It’s Not About God

Are there guardian angels? Should we be interested in angels, even praying to them?

Fascinated by Angels
I Googled the word “angel” and came up with almost 2 billion hits! So why do so many have an almost preoccupation with angels, but not seemingly with Christ? I actually know a couple of people who sometimes pray or ask that their angels go with them or pray for them to protect someone, but should we put our safety in the hands of angels, or in hands of our Creator? Of course, angels can be dispatched by God to act as His protective agents, but that is at His discretion and not ours, and it is not up to the angels either. Not an angel moves unless God first approves.

The same could be said for Satan and his minions as they are restrained, but all too often we leave God out of the picture, and don’t pray to Him for His protection. Instead, we might appeal to angels, but this is a misplaced faith. I trust the Creator of the angels more than the angels themselves. It is to God that we pray and not to His angels. We pray directly to God through Christ and not through angels. So why then are there so many magazines, websites, books, movies, songs, paintings, and figurines about angels? Good question. Maybe we treat angels like ladders to heaven, knowing we have full access to God through them, but Jacob’s ladder tells a completely different story.

Jacob’s Ladder
On the way to see Jacob’s uncle Laban, Jacob “came to a certain place and stayed there that night, because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones of the place, he put it under his head and lay down in that place to sleep” (Gen 28:11). It was there that he had a dream, and it says “he dreamed, and behold, there was a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven. And behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it” (Gen 28:12). This is known as Jacob’s ladder, although Jacob wasn’t the source.

This showed that Jacob had nearly the same access to God as did the angels, and that meant he had no reason to fear as he went and sought a wife in a different land. In this dream, the Lord stood above the ladder and told him, “Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you” (Gen 28:15). The ladder and the angels, representing Jacob’s access to God, showed Jacob not only had God’s protection, but His promise too. Having angels in the dream may have been God’s way of telling Jacob that there is no reason to fear, but Jacob didn’t put his trust in the angels (or in the ladder), but in the sovereign God Who commanded them.
Angel Worship

There are actually people who worship angels and others who come close to it. Many others pray to their angels, but their reasons for this are beyond me. If you wanted something done for you, you’d likely call a company and ask for their services, but you wouldn’t flag down one of their trucks on the highway. They work only where they’re told, and so we need to call and schedule an appointment at their company headquarters. That’s because they’re under the authority of their supervisor and company. In the same way, angels are not free to do what they want, when they want.

They cannot do anything without God’s approval. Very often, angels are sent as messengers, but they’re also sent to protect, however they don’t decide who and when it is they protect. God alone does. But today, there are those who actually think they have a “guardian angel,” although I can’t find that in the Bible. They pray to them daily and seek their blessing and protection, but the Apostle Paul warned against such things. He wrote, “Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind” (Col 2:18), because they are “not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God” (Col 2:18-19).

That Head is not an angel but Jesus Christ, so claiming you had a vision or seeing an angel is one thing, but we must hold fast to the faith that was once delivered (Jude 1:3). People have long since tried to sneak in and subvert the gospel (Jude 1:4), and I can tell you, having devotions to angels is not the gospel and it is not pleasing to God. In fact, it takes our eyes off of Christ.

Conclusion
Clearly, God does use angels to rescue us or protect us, but that doesn’t mean we try to get close to the angels. Two angels came to rescue Lot and his family in Sodom (Gen 19:1), but Lot never mentioned them again. We know that “God will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your way” (Psalm 91:11), but that doesn’t mean we pray to or worship angels. It’s not likely, but if we ever saw one, we’re commanded to not bow down to them.

The angels of God always rebuke humans for bowing down to them. When the Apostle John bowed before an angel sent by God, he told him, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God.” For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy” (Rev 19:10). John must have forgotten because later, John says, “I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God” (Rev 22:9). That’s a fitting conclusion. Worship God, pray to God, and seek a close relationship with God. This is never said about the angels.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness

So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Matthew 6:31-34 NIV

He hath made his wonderful works to be remembered:
the LORD is gracious and full of compassion.

He hath given meat unto them that fear him:
he will ever be mindful of his covenant.

He hath shewed his people the power of his works,
that he may give them the heritage of the heathen.

Psalm 111:4-6 KJV

"You will have plenty to eat and be satisfied
And praise the name of the LORD your God,
Who has dealt wondrously with you;

Then My people will never be put to shame.
Thus you will know that I am in the midst of Israel,
And that I am the LORD your God,
And there is no other;
And My people will never be put to shame."

Joel 2:26,27 NASB

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“As it began to dawn, came Magdalene, to see the sepulchre.”

Matthew 28:1

Let us learn from Mary Magdalene how to obtain fellowship with the Lord Jesus. Notice how she sought. She sought the Saviour very early in the morning. If thou canst wait for Christ, and be patient in the hope of having fellowship with him at some distant season, thou wilt never have fellowship at all; for the heart that is fitted for communion is a hungering and a thirsting heart.

She sought him also with very great boldness. Other disciples fled from the sepulchre, for they trembled and were amazed; but Mary, it is said, “stood” at the sepulchre. If you would have Christ with you, seek him boldly. Let nothing hold you back. Defy the world. Press on where others flee. She sought Christ faithfully—she stood at the sepulchre. Some find it hard to stand by a living Saviour, but she stood by a dead one. Let us seek Christ after this mode, cleaving to the very least thing that has to do with him, remaining faithful though all others should forsake him.

Note further, she sought Jesus earnestly—she stood “weeping”. Those tear-droppings were as spells that led the Saviour captive, and made him come forth and show himself to her. If you desire Jesus’ presence, weep after it! If you cannot be happy unless he come and say to you, “Thou art my beloved,” you will soon hear his voice.

Lastly, she sought the Saviour only. What cared she for angels, she turned herself back from them; her search was only for her Lord. If Christ be your one and only love, if your heart has cast out all rivals, you will not long lack the comfort of his presence. Mary Magdalene sought thus because she loved much. Let us arouse ourselves to the same intensity of affection; let our heart, like Mary's, be full of Christ, and our love, like hers, will be satisfied with nothing short of himself. O Lord, reveal thyself to us this evening!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It’s Time to Catch a Fire!
Sometimes when I lose faith in the world and wonder if there are any reasons to keep hoping against hope, something little comes along that shifts my perspective.

For example, did you know that the original Hunger Games installment made 300 million more dollars than the first Twilightmovie? Yeah! All is not lost!

its-time-to-catch-a-fire-1.jpg
And now Hunger Games: Catching Fire will definitely set the box office ablaze as Katniss and company are back to continue the fight against the pompous privileged and their insatiable appetite for violence.

We join our heroine in much better circumstances than a year before (i.e., Kentucky mining town - why do all the Districts look like that?), but the powers that be want a battle royale, complete with poisonous fog and blood thirsty monkeys.

Yes, think Wizard of Oz simians on steroids…

Obviously Hunger Games 2 is a set up for the third installment, but there is something about Katniss and her straight-up boss attitude towards The Establishment that makes me want to go out and fight injustice as well.

How about you?

When you think about it, all Christians are in an arena that truly represents life and death. Every person on the planet is moving closer to trusting in Jesus for salvation and an eternity in heaven, or they are falling away from the Truth into a pit of darkness and a destiny separated from their Creator.

And like Hunger Games, there are wicked powers at work behind the scenes:

Finally, brothers and sisters, draw your strength and might from God. Put on the full armor of God to protect yourselves from the devil and his evil schemes. We’re not waging war against enemies of flesh and blood alone. No, this fight is against tyrants, against authorities, against supernatural powers and demon princes that slither in the darkness of this world, and against wicked spiritual armies that lurk about in heavenly places (Ephesians 6:10-12).

You may think that your troubles and battles revolve around people and circumstances, but there are dark forces that animate these conflicts, and they are very skilled in staying out of view. They are trying to deceive you into thinking that the arena we live in is a battle for survival where we have to compete to survive.

But in reality, Satan and his demons are fearful that you will wake up and start serving Christ and fighting for THE Cause! He knows that the day that you lay down the earthly weapons of gossip, jealousy, selfishness and pride is the beginning of your victory over his Spiritual Establishment on this planet.

If you are ready to fight for the souls of your friends, then you must go out into the arena armed to the teeth:

And this is why you need to be head-to-toe in the full armor of God: so you can resist during these evil days and be fully prepared to hold your ground. Yes, stand—truth banded around your waist, righteousness as your chest plate, and feet protected in preparation to proclaim the good news of peace. Don’t forget to raise the shield of faith above all else, so you will be able to extinguish flaming spears hurled at you from the wicked one. Take also the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Pray always. Pray in the Spirit. Pray about everything in every way you know how! And keeping all this in mind, pray on behalf of God’s people. Keep on praying feverishly, and be on the lookout
until evil has been stayed. And please pray for me. Pray that truth will be with me before I even open my mouth. Ask the Spirit to guide me while I boldly defend the mystery that is the good news— for which I am an ambassador in chains—so pray that I can bravely pronounce the truth, as I should do (Ephesians 6:13-20).
Have you have been experiencing defeat in your walk with Jesus lately? Have you felt beaten up by the world? Are you tempted to just stay down and wait for it all just to be over?

If so, I believe you need to suit up and get into the games! Ask Jesus to bring back your hunger for your friends to know Jesus, and don’t even think about walking out the door without putting on God’s armor.

its-time-to-catch-a-fire-2.jpg
Let truth rule and reign in your life, and don’t give into deception.

Realize that you are completely forgiven through Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection, so you are in a perfect and right standing with Him.

Consider every place that your feet touch as a mission field where you must share the gospel.

Take refuge in the fact that God has your back, and your faith in Him will protect you in ways that are unimaginable.

Keep your thoughts and imagination focused on Jesus Christ and His teachings, otherwise the Enemy will get into your head and defeat you at the core of your being.

And perhaps most importantly, remember that God is only a breath away in your prayers, and with that kind of confidence, you can go forward in His power and reach the world for Christ.

Let’s catch a fire!

sf-redesign_03.png

There is a God-given desire to fight injustice in all of us, and we are also drawn to great stories of self-sacrifice - no wonder Hunger Gamesis so popular! THE Cause is the ultimate way to fight the ultimate injustices that Satan perpetrates on our planet, because the self-sacrifice of Jesus brings the ultimate victory. Talk to one unreached friend this week about the One who made the greatest sacrifice of all so that we can live in relationship with God for all eternity if we simply place our trust in Him.

sf-redesign_04.png

Pray.png
Jesus, You loved us while we were sinful, and You call us to fight for the souls of our friends. Give us the vision each day to enter the arena of spiritual darkness and put on the full armor of God.

Read.png
Romans 5:6-8. When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A Sure Hope: Eternal Life
Faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time

Titus 1:2 NIV

Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand."

John 10:27-29 KJV

To those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For there is no partiality with God.

Romans 2:7-11 NASB

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He appeared first to Mary Magdalene.?

Mark 16:9

Jesus ?appeared first to Mary Magdalene,? probably not only on account of her great love and persevering seeking, but because, as the context intimates,she had been a special trophy of Christ's delivering power. Learn from this, that the greatness of our sin before conversion should not make us imagine that we may not be specially favoured with the very highest grade of fellowship. She was one who had left all to become a constant attendant on the Saviour. He was her first, her chief object.

Many who were on Christ's side did not take up Christ's cross; she did. She spent her substance in relieving his wants. If we would see much of Christ, let us serve him. Tell me who they are that sit oftenest under the banner of his love, and drink deepest draughts from the cup of communion, and I am sure they will be those who give most, who serve best, and who abide closest to the bleeding heart of their dear Lord. But notice how Christ revealed himself to this sorrowing one?by a word, ?Mary.? It needed but one word in his voice, and at once she knew him, and her heart owned allegiance by another word, her heart was too full to say more. That one word would naturally be the most fitting for the occasion.

It implies obedience. She said, ?Master.? There is no state of mind in which this confession of allegiance will be too cold. No, when your spirit glows most with the heavenly fire, then you will say, ?I am thy servant, thou hast loosed my bonds.? If you can say, ?Master,? if you feel that his will is your will, then you stand in a happy, holy place. He must have said, ?Mary,? or else you could not have said, ?Rabboni.? See, then, from all this, how Christ honours those who honour him, how love draws our Beloved, how it needs but one word of his to turn our weeping to rejoicing, how his presence makes the heart's sunshine.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thought For The Day:

"The world belongs to the man who is wise enough to change his mind in the presence of facts." --Roy Smith

Verse for the Day:

"Whoever heeds correction gains understanding." --Proverbs 15:32

Kid's Thought for the Day:

"If your mother wants to hold your hand, there's a good reason."

Parent's Thought For The Day

"Among all the abuses of the world, there is none worse than a negligent parent." --Stafano Guazzo

Writer's Thought For The Day:

There was once a young man who, in his youth, professed his desire become a great writer.

When asked to define "great" he said, "I want to write stuff that the whole world will read, stuff that people will react to on a truly emotional level, stuff that will make them scream, cry, howl in pain and anger!"

He now works for Microsoft, writing error messages.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

• Pride brings us low...be humble
    Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.

James 4:10,11 NIV

Why standest thou afar off, O LORD?
    Why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?

The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor:
    let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.

For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire,
    and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.

Psalm 10:1-3 NIV

The highway of the upright avoids evil;
    he who guards his way guards his life.

Pride goes before destruction,
    a haughty spirit before a fall.

Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed
    than to share plunder with the proud.

Proverbs 16:17-19 NIV

An angry man stirs up dissension,
    and a hot-tempered one commits many sins.

A man's pride brings him low,
    but a man of lowly spirit gains honor.

Proverbs 29:22,23

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Thou shalt arise, and have mercy upon Zion: for the time to favour her, yea, the set time is come. For thy servants rake pleasure in her stones, and favour the dust thereof.”

Psalm 102:13, 14

A selfish man in trouble is exceedingly hard to comfort, because the springs of his comfort lie entirely within himself, and when he is sad all his springs are dry. But a large-hearted man full of Christian philanthropy, has other springs from which to supply himself with comfort beside those which lie within. He can go to his God first of all, and there find abundant help; and he can discover arguments for consolation in things relating to the world at large, to his country, and, above all, to the church.

David in this Psalm was exceedingly sorrowful; he wrote, “I am like an owl of the desert. I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.” The only way in which he could comfort himself, was in the reflection that God would arise, and have mercy upon Zion: though he was sad, yet Zion should prosper; however low his own estate, yet Zion should arise. Christian man! learn to comfort thyself in God's gracious dealing towards the church. That which is so dear to thy Master, should it not be dear above all else to thee? What though thy way be dark, canst thou not gladden thine heart with the triumphs of his cross and the spread of his truth?

Our own personal troubles are forgotten while we look, not only upon what God has done, and is doing for Zion, but on the glorious things he will yet do for his church. Try this receipt, O believer, whenever thou art sad of heart and in heaviness of spirit: forget thyself and thy little concerns, and seek the welfare and prosperity of Zion. When thou bendest thy knee in prayer to God, limit not thy petition to the narrow circle of thine own life, tried though it be, but send out thy longing prayers for the church's prosperity, “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem,” and thine own soul shall be refreshed.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He Took It Like A Man
by Anna Jewell

"Take it like a man."

It's a phrase I hear people say a lot. Usually said by a guy to a guy who isn't responding to a situation in the way society says a guy should. Fight back when insulted, don't react to physical or emotional pain, show your strength by your physical abilities, prove yourself by not admitting you're wrong. That's how a man should act, right?

But what if the things society touts as "manly" have nothing to do with what it really takes to be a man?

What if a true man is just the opposite?

I know it's a little strange for me to be writing about this, 'cause I'm not exactly male... But stay with me, I'm headed somewhere with this.

The devo I did today had me read Matthew 27, focusing on verses 27-31.

27 Then the governor’s soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around Him. 28 They stripped Him and put a scarlet robe on Him, 29 and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on His head. They put a staff in His right hand. Then they knelt in front of Him and mocked Him. “Hail, king of the Jews!” they said. 30 They spit on Him, and took the staff and struck Him on the head again and again. 31 After they had mocked Him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on Him. Then they led Him away to crucify Him. (NIV)​

As I was reading those words, that account of the terrible things mere mortals did to the God of the Universe, something stood out to me that hadn't before. He took it all like a man.

At this point, Jesus has been betrayed by one of His closest friends, arrested on false charges, and accused of things He never did. Then, He was sentenced to a terrible death by a mob of His own people. If that wasn't enough, we see the humiliation He encounters in those verses, and then finally the agony He experiences on the cross.

All this time, we would expect Him to do something... Anything. I mean, He has every right to try and stand up for Himself when the false accusations are hurled at Him. He could've fought back when they started to beat on Him. And let's not forget the host of powerful angels at His command. He could've shouted, could've retaliated, could've thrown some punches, could've hated them all... He had every opportunity to be a "man". But He didn't take those.

He never lost it, never let pride take over, never wavered from God's will. And though His heart was filled with anguish and extreme sorrow, He still had deep love for these people that He made. These people orchestrating His death. The death He willingly chose... For them.

And obviously, that's not the only place in the Bible that Jesus shows how to be a man. He laughed with His friends, cared about the lowly, wept with the grieving, never wavered from the truth, and was in constant communication with God.

I'm not writing this to be directed at any specific person or group of people, or even society as a whole, but rather a truth that I wanted to share. I guess the whole point of this is really just to give encouragement and a challenge to any guys that might be reading this. Encourage them by reminding them that though it's hard to do the right thing, it's possible. Jesus was faced with the temptations this world is throwing you, and He will help you overcome them.

And my challenge? Don't back down. Satan is going to try every trick in the book to twist your views on faith, friendships, emotions, marriage, and life in general. He's going to try and trip you, then kick you when you're down. Don't let him.

Don't fall to the lie that to be a man you have to conform. Instead, look to Jesus as your example, and then set an example. Be a protector, a leader, a man after God's heart. Remember that there's nothing wimpy about admitting you're wrong. That there's nothing weak about showing others that you genuinely care. That it's not manly to impress a bunch of women, but it is manly to be faithful to your wife, before and after you're married to her.

And to the girls out there, not only is there an enormous amount of things we can learn from Jesus' life, but we can also help the guys in our lives. Help them by allowing them to be leaders. Help them by letting them know you appreciate the real manly things they do, and respecting them. Help them to be gentlemen by being ladies, and not conforming to our societal expectations of what a "woman" is (that's a whole other topic I'm sure one day I'll write about :P ).

So yeah. All that to say, don't listen to me. Listen to Him.

P.S. Thank you to my Dad, and all the other Real Men in my life. I'm glad God has put you all in my life to show me how a guy should treat a girl, and a glimpse of how God views me.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why did Messiah come?
For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1 John 3:8b,9 KJV

This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

1 John 4:9,10 NIV

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Romans 5:8-10 NASB

that saves is faith in Him

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.”

Psalm 56:9

It is impossible for any human speech to express the full meaning of this delightful phrase, “God is for me.” He was “for us” before the worlds were made; he was “for us,” or he would not have given his well-beloved son; he was “for us” when he smote the Only-begotten, and laid the full weight of his wrath upon him — he was “for us,” though he was against him; he was “for us,” when we were ruined in the fall — he loved us notwithstanding all; he was “for us,” when we were rebels against him, and with a high hand were bidding him defiance; he was “for us,” or he would not have brought us humbly to seek his face.

He has been “for us” in many struggles; we have been summoned to encounter hosts of dangers; we have been assailed by temptations from without and within—how could we have remained unharmed to this hour if he had not been “for us”? He is “for us,” with all the infinity of his being; with all the omnipotence of his love; with all the infallibility of his wisdom; arrayed in all his divine attributes, he is “for us,”—eternally and immutably “for us”; “for us” when yon blue skies shall be rolled up like a worn out vesture; “for us” throughout eternity.

And because he is “for us,” the voice of prayer will always ensure his help. “When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies be turned back.” This is no uncertain hope, but a well grounded assurance—“this I know.” I will direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up for the answer, assured that it will come, and that mine enemies shall be defeated, “for God is for me.” O believer, how happy art thou with the King of kings on thy side! How safe with such a Protector! How sure thy cause pleaded by such an Advocate! If God be for thee, who can be against thee?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Razor’s Edge

I remember the conversation as though it were yesterday. I was a young, inexperienced, and very naïve youth worker who was certain I had all the answers. A student leader in the youth group had set up a meeting with me to “talk about a few things,” which I interpreted as “please bless me with your infinite pastoral wisdom” - right?

the-razors-edge-1.jpg
Then she showed me her wrists…

At first I didn’t know what to process. Her skin was road mapped with scars that paralleled and crisscrossed the landscape of her forearms. Then I realized that whatever “wisdom” I had to offer wasn’t going to be much help.

“Ally” was a cutter. On the outside, she had everything together, but her internal state was a boiling cauldron of stress, family dysfunction and unresolved pain that had erupted into self-harming behaviors.

“At first it was just safety pins,” Ally informed me, but like any other addiction, the cuts needed to be sharper and go deeper to obtain the same level of relief. In the beginning, the external scars were a visual catharsis that represented the internal wounding her family had inflicted on her soul. But now she was at the point of utter helplessness and desperation.

Obviously, Ally is not alone. In fact, Teen Vogue recently called cutting “the new anorexia,” as millions upon millions of teens and young adults deal with the pain of life through self-injure. At one time this heartbreaking issue was mainly confined to those outside Christian circles, but that is no longer the case.

And chances are, you personally know someone who self-injures - but the question is - what are you going to do about it?

First and most importantly, someone trapped in the horrific pattern of self-injury needs to know that they are unconditionally and unrelentingly loved. Here’s how the Bible put it:

Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ’s law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived (Galatians 6:2-3, The Message).

Trust me, those who self-injure are some of the most “oppressed” people around. This behavior is not “their fault,” and trust me, if they could just quit cold turkey, it would happen in a heartbeat.

But the cutting is more than a stress relief, it is a cry for help, and you are the one who can answer that cry. Many people really do think they are too good to help people in this addictive state, but truth be told - we all have self-destructive tendencies and dysfunctional behaviors - cutters just can’t hide it as well as we do.

the-razors-edge-2-1.jpg
Secondly, people who self-injure need to know where they can find healing. You must help them seek professional assistance, because cutting is not the real issue. The cause of self-injury is deeply rooted in self-image and body image perceptions, and there are Christian counselors available to help them get to the root of their struggles and help them deal with stress in a healthy way.

But the ultimate healing that will lead them into the abundant and fulfilling life they have dreamed about is found in only one place:

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” - Jesus, (Matthew 11:28-30).

No amount of therapy and processing the past will close the wounds and heal the scars that have formed through the years, but there is a Person whose wrists were nailed and whose body was mutilated on our behalf. It is by His wounds that everlasting healing is available, but there are many who have no idea that there is One called the Great Physician who will bring restoration and joy to a broken spirit.

Jesus is the Light of the World, and only He can lead our friends out of the darkness they live with every minute of every day. Pray for those who are caught in this addiction, and remember that a huge part of living out THE Cause is leading people to the One who can “bind up the brokenhearted.”

sf-redesign_03.png

This week, pay careful attention to the conversations and encounters you have with your friends. If they seem to be disengaged or have drastic mood swings, it may indicate a problem. Look for ways to engage them in conversations about the love of Jesus and the healing that comes through the gospel.

sf-redesign_04.png
Pray.png

Jesus, there are so many who are hurting and need Your healing. Help others see how You have given us new life, and give them a desire to find salvation in You, too.

Read.png
1 Peter 2:24. He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Build up your faith!
But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

Jude 20,21 NASB

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 1:16,17 KJV

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "LORD, who has believed our report?" So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Romans 10:16,17 NKJV

that saves is faith in Him

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Let not one of them escape.”

1 Kings 18:40

When the prophet Elijah had received the answer to his prayer, and the fire from heaven had consumed the sacrifice in the presence of all the people, he called upon the assembled Israelites to take the priests of Baal, and sternly cried, “Let not one of them escape.” He took them all down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there. So must it be with our sins — they are all doomed, not one must be preserved. Our darling sin must die. Spare it not for its much crying. Strike, though it be as dear as an Isaac. Strike, for God struck at sin when it was laid upon his own Son. With stern unflinching purpose must you condemn to death that sin which was once the idol of your heart.

Do you ask how you are to accomplish this? Jesus will be your power. You have grace to overcome sin given you in the covenant of grace; you have strength to win the victory in the crusade against inward lusts, because Christ Jesus has promised to be with you even unto the end. If you would triumph over darkness, set yourself in the presence of the Sun of Righteousness. There is no place so well adapted for the discovery of sin, and recovery from its power and guilt, as the immediate presence of God. Job never knew how to get rid of sin half so well as he did when his eye of faith rested upon God, and then he abhorred himself, and repented in dust and ashes.

The fine gold of the Christian is oft becoming dim. We need the sacred fire to consume the dross. Let us fly to our God, he is a consuming fire; he will not consume our spirit, but our sins. Let the goodness of God excite us to a sacred jealousy, and to a holy revenge against those iniquities which are hateful in his sight. Go forth to battle with Amalek, in his strength, and utterly destroy the accursed crew: let not one of them escape.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What is in the Animal Kingdom's Medicine Cabinet?

If you live in the jungle and have an itch, where do you go to get relief if the local clinic won’t let you in? Not a problem for monkeys and many others of God’s creatures. They can find their own herbal remedies … without a doctor’s help!

Holly Dublin’s observations took a sharply unexpected turn. For more than a year, the World Wildlife Fund researcher had tracked the movements of a pregnant African elephant. During that time, the animal lived a fairly predictable life: a few miles’ journey with the herd each day to graze on the usual 500 pounds (227 kg) of leaves and herbs.

But then, around the end of her pregnancy, the animal broke the routine and trekked 17 miles (27 km) across East Africa in a single day. Much to Dublin’s surprise, the elephant suddenly had a taste for a tree in the Boraginaceae family—so much so, in fact, that the elephant ate all of it … leaves, trunk, everything.1

So, why would an elephant with plenty of food available make a long journey to track down a particular tree? The answer reveals something amazing about God’s care for His creation—and us—even in a world that’s groaning because of sin.

Consider the Ravens

Most of us humans are well armed when it comes to dealing with minor sicknesses. Our closets and cabinets overflow with pain relievers, fever fighters, cough quellers, and stomach soothers. We reach in, swallow the right pill, and expect relief soon.

For animals in the wild, the medicine cabinet seems at first glance to be pretty bare, and you might think they’re just left out in the cold when it comes to finding remedies. But even with the fallen nature of our world, the Creator hasn’t left untamed creatures, like the ravens that neither sow nor reap (Luke 12:24), defenseless against all the things that ail them. In fact, He’s stocked their “closets” with a cornucopia of cures.

Of course, you’d be excused for thinking these treatments look a whole lot like your run-of-the-mill sticks, insects, leaves, and dirt. But to animals living in nature, these everyday wonders are just as useful as that well-stocked medicine cabinet.

Dealing with Parasites

For most African apes, parasites are just a way of life. During the rainy season especially, parasitic larvae commonly infect the digestive tracts of chimps, bonobos, and gorillas. The troubled apes, however, have a unique method of dealing with these unwanted gastrointestinal guests. Even with much tastier treats around, the apes will swipe bristly leaves from plants such as Aspilia in the sunflower family, carefully fold them up, and swallow them without chewing.1

While these leaves offer no nutritional value and usually aren’t a part of the ape’s diet, the Aspilia-eating isn’t just for fun. Instead, these fuzzy leaves act much like Velcro in the apes’ stomachs and intestines. Parasites get trapped by the bristles and folds of the leaves and are swept out. Chemicals in the plant may also keep the parasites from overstaying their welcome.

Monarch butterflies seem to know a useful plant when they see one. When a mother has been infected by a tiny parasite that pokes holes in her skin, she carefully flits around to taste various milkweed plants. Her fussy behavior doesn’t mean she’s a picky eater. The evidence indicates that she’s looking for the tropical milkweed to lay her eggs on. When her baby caterpillars munch on the tropical milkweed instead of the more common swamp milkweed, the extra doses of plant steroids keep the parasites at bay for the next generation.3

The pesky fruit fly has a similar weapon in its arsenal when fighting off parasitic wasps, which lay their eggs in the flies. To deal with the infestation, the fruit flies eat foods rich in alcohol. While the alcohol doesn’t impact the flies, it often prevents the wasps from developing.5

Protecting the Home

Parasites also come knocking where animals live, but God provided a number of resources for animals to protect themselves. For example, the duskyfooted woodrat builds its nests from piles of sticks, which may reach several feet in height and width. To make their hovels cozier, the animals construct several chambers connected by tunnels. Researchers at Vassar College in New York discovered that the rats scatter bay plant leaves around their moss-covered sleeping chambers, even tearing the leaves to release the strong aroma. These bay leaves appear to inhibit the growth of flea larvae, a common nuisance for the furry creatures.

6Birds, too, know a bit about protecting their homes. While the nests themselves are a study in masterful architecture, what goes into those nests can be just as fascinating. Many avian species select plant materials that reduce pests and hinder the growth of bacteria. For instance, starlings weave into their nests a few leaves from wild carrots to repel mites.8

Rubbing It In

Pests never rest, at least that’s how it seems when gnats and biting flies swoop in. While many large creatures have tails to swish the bugs away, other animals have rubbed up against another God-given solution.

In the tropical forests of Venezuela, swarms of mosquitoes descend on whatever animals happen to be close by—except for some clever capuchin monkeys. Instead of bug repellant, these simians use something a bit more … well … natural. The monkeys poke around in termite mounds or tree bark until they find a certain millipede (Orthoporus dorsovittatus) and then smash the specimen into their fur from head to feet. Powerful chemicals in the millipede drive the mosquitoes to look elsewhere for a meal.9

The common grackle also knows a thing or two about rubbing in relief. Like many other birds, the grackle bows to the ground with its wings outstretched to let ants crawl on (called “anting”), or it sometimes rubs them over its feathers using its beak. The ants secrete formic acid that helps keep pests away. But if it can’t find ants, the bird has been known to “wrestle” with marigold blossoms, take a dip in walnut juice, or splash on some lemon or lime to do the same thing.11

Eating Dirt

The pharmacy God provided is a bit more down-to-earth for some animals—really down-to-earth. Leaf-eating giraffes, for instance, have been known to scoop up a mouthful of dirt from termite mounds and swallow it down. Scientists call this behavior geophagy, which comes from two Greek root words that essentially mean “eating dirt.”

The giraffes aren’t just playing with m&d pies, though. The clay in the termite mound contains elements that coat the animals’ stomachs and give them relief. (It’s not too different from you gulping down some antacids to soothe a bellyache.) Those compounds may also neutralize plant and bacterial toxins in the giraffe’s diet.12

Dirt connoisseurs come in smaller sizes, too. One researcher observed several bird species in New Guinea flocking to dirt exposed by a landslide. In a land covered with trees and grass, the rare exposed clay proved irresistible.14 But why would animals eat dirt? Well, dirt may in some cases contain minerals essential for health, or provide grit for gizzards (a digestive organ) to aid in grinding up food.15 In this case, the dirt provided chemicals that detoxify poisons in plants.

Preparing for New Life

For some motherly animals, the expectation of new life is a vital time to hunt for remedies. Pregnant sifaka lemurs sometimes munch the bark of fig and tamarind trees before giving birth. Compounds in the bark help encourage milk production and also get rid of nasty gut parasites (now that’s a combo meal).12

This type of behavior also helps explain the unusual craving that drove a pregnant elephant to tromp 17 miles to wolf down a special kind of tree. As the local researcher continued rustling through the leaves for an answer, she found that Kenyan women in the area have long used tea from the same tree to induce labor. The elephant, which gobbled up the whole thing, apparently preferred a quicker method.

The Father’s Care

According to Jesus, studying how God takes care of the animals can tell us quite a bit about how He cares for us (Luke 12:24). They don’t hit the supermarket, worry about where they’ll eat, or stock medicine cabinets full of pills. Instead, the Lord faithfully supplies their needs—even in a sin-cursed world. They suffer from parasites, diseases, and infections, but they find remedies right at hand. (The solutions may not always be so palatable for us, but we can’t argue with the results.)

That doesn’t mean we should necessarily empty our medicine cabinets and start scrounging for more natural cures, covering our skin with smooshed millipedes, or sampling dirt. Rather, the example from creation is much more powerful when we see the bigger picture: If God provides so well for the animals, you can be sure He knows how to handle the problems in our lives as well.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Kept by His Hand...
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD:
and he delighteth in his way.

Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down:
for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

Psalm 37:23,24 KJV

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6,7 KJV

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:3-5 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path.”

Joel 2:8

Locusts always keep their rank, and although their number is legion, they do not crowd upon each other, so as to throw their columns into confusion. This remarkable fact in natural history shows how thoroughly the Lord has infused the spirit of order into his universe, since the smallest animate creatures are as much controlled by it as are the rolling spheres or the seraphic messengers. It would be wise for believers to be ruled by the same influence in all their spiritual life. In their Christian graces no one virtue should usurp the sphere of another, or eat out the vitals of the rest for its own support.

Affection must not smother honesty, courage must not elbow weakness out of the field, modesty must not jostle energy, and patience must not slaughter resolution. So also with our duties, one must not interfere with another; public usefulness must not injure private piety; church work must not push family worship into a corner. It is ill to offer God one duty stained with the blood of another. Each thing is beautiful in its season, but not otherwise. It was to the Pharisee that Jesus said, “This ought ye to have done, and not to have left the other undone.” The same rule applies to our personal position, we must take care to know our place, take it, and keep to it.

We must minister as the Spirit has given us ability, and not intrude upon our fellow servant's domain. Our Lord Jesus taught us not to covet the high places, but to be willing to be the least among the brethren. Far from us be an envious, ambitious spirit, let us feel the force of the Master's command, and do as he bids us, keeping rank with the rest of the host. To-night let us see whether we are keeping the unity of the Spirit in the bonds of peace, and let our prayer be that, in all the churches of the Lord Jesus, peace and order may prevail.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Are You Ready for Game Day?

Well sports fans, fall is upon us, and the full array of athletic competition has been rolled out like a red carpet that leads to the stage of glory.

First there is football…

America’s love affair with the men (and occasionally women) who compete on the gridiron is undeniable. There are husbands who literally tell there wives that they will see them in January when all the High School, NCAA and NFL championships are done. There are fans who paint their bodies and act in ways that are certifiably insane, unless of course they are done in honor of their team.

are-you-ready-for-game-day-1.jpg
Then on the middle and high school campus, athletes are disciplining themselves to be the best of the best. Soccer and Tennis and Cross Country contests (to name a few) are happening in every city and county in the country, where athletes taste the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Whether you’re a starter, a benchwarmer, a bleacher bum, or you despise all sports hands down, there is a huge lesson we can take away from the obsession with sports that plays out in our culture—

If we treated the Christian life like a sport, we would all be more effective in loving and serving Jesus.

That’s what the Apostle Paul thought anyway, and can’t you just imagine him sporting an authentic jersey or doing the wave with the Greeks during the ancient Olympics? That’s why he challenges us with these words:

We all know that when there’s a race, all the runners bolt for the finish line, but only one will take the prize. When you run, run for the prize! Athletes in training are very strict with themselves, exercising self-control over desires, and for what? For a wreath that soon withers or is crushed or simply forgotten. That is not our race. We run for the crown that we will wear for eternity. So I don’t run aimlessly. I don’t let my eyes drift off the finish line. When I box, I don’t throw punches in the air. I discipline my body and make it my slave so that after all this, after I have brought the gospel to others, I will still be qualified to win the prize (1 Corinthians 9:24-27).

Paul saw the Christian life in terms of athletic competition in two distinct ways. First, he realized that following Jesus is a competition for a prize that will last forever. To win it, we must remember that we compete against ourselves and the enemy. When we forget that, we may end up just barely crossing the finish line or even worse— disqualified—which means we don’t receive the wreath of victory. To be victorious, we must long to hear “well done, good and faithful servant” from Jesus Christ on Judgment Day as He places a victory wreath around our neck.

The athletes who were victorious in Paul’s day took a vow to train for 10 months and deny themselves anything that would get in the way of winning. Sadly, I feel like Christians today wouldn’t give up 10 minutes a day to study God’s Word, pray and share the gospel with others.

Paul also made the comparison of treating the Christian life like a training schedule. He wanted to make every “punch” count, and he woke up every morning with the determination to not let his physical body rule over his spiritual calling to “deny himself and take up his cross” (Luke 9:23).

The bottom line here is that we need to start looking at our commitment to Christ like a race and like a fight. We are racing against time and our sin nature to receive the prize from Jesus, and we are in a competition for the very souls of our friends and family.

are-you-ready-for-game-day-2.jpg
So would you start considering yourself to be a spiritual athlete? If you and I want to see people trust Christ and THE Cause go forward, we must enter into the kind of spiritual training that makes pro athletes look like lazy couch potatoes by comparison.

Start tomorrow by getting up 10 minutes earlier to talk to Jesus about your day. Deny yourself the temptation to post a status update or tweet for the 57th time today so you can check in on the love letter God sent you in the pages of the Bible. And when the enemy tries to tackle you as you attempt to score a goal for THE Cause, straight-arm him in the face with the strength that comes from living in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Know that one day we will all give an account to The Judge for the race that we ran for Him. Visualize standing before Christ for your life recap and performance review—that should highly motivate you to run the very best race you possibly can!

But most importantly, when you consider all that Jesus has done for you, how can you do anything less than give Him your all? Let your love for Christ drive you to great levels of discipline and focus which will lead to spiritual victories for His glory and His kingdom!

Are you ready for game day?

sf-redesign_03.png

Whether or not you consider yourself an athlete, if you follow Jesus, you are a spiritual athlete who is in a competition. Think of one specific way you can train harder and compete with excellence. For example, get up 10 minutes earlier and spend time in prayer and His Word.

sf-redesign_04.png

Pray.png
Father, we commit ourselves to the kind of spiritual training that You’ve called us to so we can win the prize of Your high calling. Give us motivation and strength to see each day as an opportunity to compete for Your glory.

Read.png
Philippians 4:13. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

Get.png
Reckless…Following Jesus to the Point of No Return. Check out Zane Black’s latest book, Reckless, and explore the epic and sometimes risky adventure of following Jesus! Jesus went all in for you. Are you ready to go all in for Him?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Fear not...
For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity,

2 Timothy 1:7-9 NASB

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God

Romans 8:14-16 KJV

The LORD the Shepherd of His People
A Psalm of David.

The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.

He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through
the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Psalm 23 NKJV