• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
One cold evening during the holiday season a little boy about six or seven years old was standing out in front of a store window. The little child had no shoes and his clothes were mere rags. A young woman passing by saw the little boy and could read the longing in his pale blue eyes. She took the child by the hand and led him into the store. There she bought him some new shoes and a complete suit of warm clothing.

They came back outside into the street and the woman said to the child, “Now you can go back home and have a very happy holiday.”

The little boy looked up at her and asked, “Are you God Ma’am?”

She smiled down at him and replied, “No son, I am just one of His children.”

The little boy then said, “I KNEW you had to be of some relation.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What The Bible Says About Racism

Does the Bible mention discrimination or bias, and if so, what is the biblical view of racism?

Grace, not Race
Even though the word racism is not in the Bible, the Bible clearly teaches that racism is not part of what God intends. There are far too many Scriptures to support that statement in one article, so there are enough to consider, in both the Old Testament and New Testament. First of all, there is no excuse, most of all Christians, to treat anyone with a different skin color, language, nation, or religion in a way that they would not want to be treated.

Like Jacob’s multi-colored coat, God is saving people from every nation and people on the face of the earth. Worship in heaven will include people from many different backgrounds. After Christ’s return, they sing in heaven, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation” (Rev 5:9). John does not see just one nation or group of people worshiping God in heaven, but in fact people from every nation.

He saw “a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands” (Rev 7:9). People from all tribes, peoples, and languages will stand before the throne, and before the Lamb, so God has no greater or lesser regard for any person, nation, language, or tribe. Surely you’ve heard the Apostle Paul’s statement that “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus” (Gal 3:28), since, “if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise” (Gal 3:29).

Old Testament Examples
When the nation Israel came out of their Egyptian bondage, there were people who came along that were not of the children of Abraham. God gave the same rights to the Israelites as He did to resident aliens. An example is Deuteronomy 1:16 where Moses wrote, “And I charged your judges at that time, Hear the cases between your brothers, and judge righteously between a man and his brother or the alien who is with him.”

The Lord’s command, written by the Prophet Jeremiah, says, “Do justice and righteousness, and deliver from the hand of the oppressor him who has been robbed. And do no wrong or violence to the resident alien, the fatherless, and the widow, nor shed innocent blood in this place” (22:3).

Ruth, a Moabite, was welcome to dwell with the Israelites as she was welcomed by Boaz, along with her mother-in-law, Naomi, later, marrying Boaz and becoming part of the royal lineage of Jesus Christ. Knowing that she was a Moabite, which was an enemy of Israel, you could tell she was surprised by her acceptance, and why “she fell on her face, bowing to the ground, and said to him, “Why have I found favor in your eyes, that you should take notice of me, since I am a foreigner” (Ruth 2:10). As long as a foreigner obeyed the laws of God, they were offered the same protection under the laws of God, just as would any natural born Israelite would be.

In both the Old Testament and New Testament, we find that God is more interested in receiving worship in spirit and in truth than in who worships Him (John 4:24).

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus (Gal 3:28).
Judging
I think it’s in our nature to look at people and judge them. I don’t mean condemn them, but we can judge people by the way they look because if they look a certain way, it may or may not fit our expectations, but obviously, we’re wrong to do that because we don’t know their heart like God does. We should “not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment” (John 7:24). The word “judge” in this context doesn’t mean condemn but we can easily become judge, jury, and executioner.

Every day you hear someone who has done this or has done that, and it’s almost as if they’re guilty till proven innocent. The Lord told the Prophet Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart” (1 Sam 16:7). I have heard some very harsh judgmental statements from believers, and I haven’t been innocent either, but I’ve learned to accept people for who they are and where they’re from.

I have no excuse now. I understand that God “made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place” (Acts 17:26), so we have no right to show partiality because “God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him” (Acts 10:34-35).

In God’s Image
Genesis 1:27 records the fact that “God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them,” so even in creation, God shows no partiality, and why Paul can write that “God shows no partiality” (Rom 2:11), so we know “there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him” (Rom 10:12). If we do show partiality, God’s Word says, we “are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors” (James 2:9). That’s not a good place to be. Why not leave the judging up to God and assume the best in people. The Bible teachers that love believes all things (1 Cor 13:7), which I believe means we give people the benefit of the doubt and don’t make the worst assumptions about them.

Conclusion
Christians are commanded to love one another and not judge people by the way they look, so I hope we can see just how sinful it is to have regard, lesser or greater, for anyone of a certain color, nationality, language, and so on. There is no room for discrimination in this present world or in the world to come. If God accepts us, then we ought to accept one another, and that includes accepting their differences.

Just look at nature; you can see God loves variety, and there are so many differences among the nations that I think it gives our world the look of Joseph’s coat of many colors. “This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring” (Rom 9:8), and “That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all” (Rom 4:16). It is never about race….it is only about grace.

Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christ...-bible-says-about-racism/#CrlKx0JlyOvhklDZ.99

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Faith.

IN A WORLD FULL OF GREED
DISHONESTY AND DESPAIR

NEVER LOSE FAITH
GOD IS THERE

WHEN YOU FEEL ALONE
AND LOSE SIGHT

THE DEVILS STRONG BUT HE
WON’T WIN THIS FIGHT

GOD IS THERE TO GUIDE
YOU THROUGH

PRAY FROM THE HEART
HE HAS ROOM FOR YOU

PRAY FOR FORGIVENESS
AND GOD TO COME INTO YOUR HEART

HE’LL GUIDE YOU AND SHOW YOU
IT’S THE RIGHT START

GOD WILL HELP YOU
FIGHT THE TEMPTATION

BUT MAKE THE EFFORT
AND PRAY FOR SALVATION

IF YOU THINK YOUR LOST
YOU’LL ACT LIKE IT TO

BUT WHEN GOD’S ON YOUR SIDE
YOU’LL FEEL BRAND NEW

THINGS CAN GET HARD
AND BE PRETTY ROUGH

GOD IS THE ANSWER
HE’LL MAKE YOU TOUGH

NO MATTER YOUR TROUBLE
OR TRIBULATION

LEAVE IT TO GOD AND HE’LL
SHOW YOU, YOUR DESTINATION

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“I will take heed to my ways.”

Psalm 39:1

Fellow-pilgrim, say not in your heart, “I will go hither and thither, and I shall not sin;” for you are never so out of danger of sinning as to boast of security. The road is very miry, it will be hard to pick your path so as not to soil your garments. This is a world of pitch; you will need to watch often, if in handling it you are to keep your hands clean. There is a robber at every turn of the road to rob you of your jewels; there is a temptation in every mercy; there is a snare in every joy; and if you ever reach heaven, it will be a miracle of divine grace to be ascribed entirely to your Father's power.

Be on your guard. When a man carries a bomb-shell in his hand, he should mind that he does not go near a candle; and you too must take care that you enter not into temptation. Even your common actions are edged tools; you must mind how you handle them. There is nothing in this world to foster a Christian's piety, but everything to destroy it. How anxious should you be to look up to God, that he may keep you! Your prayer should be, “Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe.”

Having prayed, you must also watch; guarding every thought, word, and action, with holy jealousy. Do not expose yourselves unnecessarily; but if called to exposure, if you are bidden to go where the darts are flying, never venture forth without your shield; for if once the devil finds you without your buckler, he will rejoice that his hour of triumph is come, and will soon make you fall down wounded by his arrows. Though slain you cannot be; wounded you may be. “Be sober; be vigilant, danger may be in an hour when all seemeth securest to thee.” Therefore, take heed to thy ways, and watch unto prayer. No man ever fell into error through being too watchful. May the Holy Spirit guide us in all our ways, so shall they always please the Lord.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I believe the Lord gave me this to me a year or so ago when I was going through a very difficult time and was feeling very isolated and trapped. I wrote it on a yellow “stickum” and put it on my computer to see all day at work. Other people have copied it down for their own reference. Maybe you will find it encouraging, too.

Where there is faith in God, there is hope.
Where there is hope, there is peace.
Where there is peace, there is FREEDOM.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hebrews—Enter God’s Rest. Don’t Put God to the Test.

One of my biggest spiritual problems is forgetting about what God has done for me in the past when facing trials in the present. I am not alone. Perhaps you face the same struggle. The Israelites certainly did, and the author of Hebrews wants to make sure the Christian to whom he is writing will not make the same mistake Israel did in the wilderness.

And so, the writer of Hebrews goes from comparing Jesus and angels in chapters 1 and 2 to comparing Jesus and Moses in chapter 3. He also compares his church community with Israel (chapters 3 and 4). The aim of Hebrews 3:1-4:13 could be encapsulated in the following terms: Enter God’s rest. Don’t put God to the test.

Israel had seen God mightily at work through Moses, whom the writer of Hebrews compares to Jesus. Moses is a servant who is faithful in all of God’s house while Jesus is God’s Son who is faithful over all God’s house (Hebrews 3:1-6). Moses was certainly one of the greatest saints of old. God demonstrated his great faithfulness to Israel through the faithful leadership of Moses, who led them out of Egypt on the way to the Promised Land.

The writer references the incident of God’s chosen people’s unbelief recorded in Exodus 17, which is also referenced in Psalm 95. The people became thirsty in the wilderness and began grumbling against Moses, and ultimately against God: “But the people thirsted there for water; and the people complained against Moses and said, ‘Why did you bring us out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and livestock with thirst?’” (Exodus 17:3; NRSV) Moses cried out to God out of fear that the people were about to stone him (Exodus 17:4).

The people even tested God with the words, “Is the Lord among us or not?” (Exodus 17:7; NRSV). While God provided water for them, their hardness of heart led God to declare that they would not enter their envisioned rest in the Promised Land (See Psalm 95:11; see also Hebrews 3;11). How striking to the heart it is that though they had witnessed God’s faithfulness for forty years, still they did not believe him in the present day trial. Even though they had seen God at work, they did not know God’s ways, but hardened their hearts (Hebrews 3:9-10). It was almost as if they were challenging God: what have you done for us lately? How often have I done the same?!

The author of Hebrews turns from recounting the wilderness wanderings and unbelief of the people Israel to accounting for his church’s relationship with God. Having experienced deliverance from spiritual bondage under Jesus, who is greater than Moses, are they now going to test God, questioning God’s faithfulness, and as a result, die in the spiritual wilderness of unbelief? The risks and rewards are far greater for how we respond to Jesus, who is far greater than Moses. Here’s the author of Hebrews:

Take care, brothers and sisters, that none of you may have an evil, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” so that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partners of Christ, if only we hold our first confidence firm to the end. As it is said,

“Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.”

Now who were they who heard and yet were rebellious? Was it not all those who left Egypt under the leadership of Moses? But with whom was he angry forty years? Was it not those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness? And to whom did he swear that they would not enter his rest, if not to those who were disobedient? So we see that they were unable to enter because of unbelief (Hebrews 3:12-19; NRSV).

We are not alone in our faith struggle, as evident from this passage. They say that misery loves company. If that is true for you, perhaps you can take comfort from knowing what your fellow believers have faced in the past and continue to face in the present. However, we don’t encourage one another best simply by suffering together, but in meeting together in the midst of our shared suffering in view of our future hope (See Hebrews 10:24-25).

The author of Hebrews seeks to instill hope in his believing community by instructing them in God’s providential care for their lives. Confidence in God’s sovereign loving purposes, which include disciplining them as spiritual children through their trials, is what will sustain them. So, too, the triumphant examples before them of Jesus and other believers who have been tested, tried, refined and victorious, are intended to encourage them on their way (Hebrew 12:1-13; see also Hebrews 11). The Christians to whom the author pens this epistle have already experienced persecution. Some have been imprisoned, while others have lost property (Hebrews 10:34).

The shedding of their own blood might even await them (See Hebrews 12:3-4). But they are not alone. The great cloud of witnesses, Jesus, and his Father have not abandoned them (Hebrews 12:1-13).
We need to learn from various examples what to do, as well as what not to do. Just as we can and must learn what to do from the good examples of Jesus and the great cloud of witnesses (Hebrews 11-12), so we need to learn what not to do from the poor examples of the generation leaving Egypt for the Promised Land of Canaan. Otherwise, we will not enter God’s rest.

Now, in case you are wondering, we need to provide an answer concerning the nature of God’s rest to which we are called to enter. Surely, it is not limited to entrance to the land of Canaan. God has been resting since the creation of the world (Genesis 2:2-3). The generation that grew up under Moses and Joshua in the wilderness entered the temporal rest in Canaan, but not their parents’ generation—except for Joshua and Caleb (Deuteronomy 1:34-40). Psalm 95, from which the author of Hebrews quotes, is referring to a future, eternal rest. Hebrews chapters 3 and 4 point to Psalm 95 in referring to the final rest in God’s eternal Promised Land. Thus, as F. F. Bruce argues, entering God’s rest was not limited to entrance in “the earthly Canaan.”[1]

While different forms of rest are in view, faith is essential to each kind of rest. The rebels rejected Moses. As a result, they did not enter God’s temporal rest in Canaan. Those who reject Christ and turn back from him will not enter God’s ultimate rest (See Hebrews 3:12, cf. vs. 19).[2] Entering God’s ultimate rest of eternal life involves enduring faith, not simply hearing God’s word. Hebrews 4:2 states, “For indeed the good news came to us just as to them; but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened” (4:2; NRSV). Bruce writes in this context: “The practical implication is clear: it is not the hearing of the gospel by itself that brings final salvation, but its appropriation by faith; and if that faith is a genuine faith, it will be a persistent faith.”[3]

Enduring faith in God’s sovereign, providential care is essential to entering God’s rest, according to Hebrews. We need to remember what God has said and done for us, and do what he calls us to do in faith, knowing that he is faithful to his promise that we will enter God’s rest. We need to make sure we have a hard time forgetting God’s faithfulness and promised blessing. It will help us not to have a hard heart TODAY as we hear God’s voice. In contrast to the wilderness generation under Moses, we prepare to enter God’s rest rather than put God to the test when we examine our hearts, encourage one another in view of what we have seen God do and believe God will do, and embrace God’s word through faith and obedience.

In closing, I wish to draw attention to a conversation from a few days ago with one of the couples at the Overseas Ministries Study Center here in New Haven, CT. The encouraging though challenging conversation helped me to examine my heart. The couple are missionaries from Africa here on sabbatical (several months of needed Sabbath rest). In passing, this couple shared matter-of-factly with me about not always having food to eat but finding fulfillment in God’s kingdom advancing among the people committed to their care in the land of their missional sojourn. Someone else shared with me of how another missionary from Africa only eats once a day so that those he shepherds may also have daily bread to eat.

What a far cry from the Israelites wandering about in the desert grumbling over water! What a far cry from me wandering about today, often in the wilderness of my own making! The single-minded focus on Jesus by faith that I have found among these Christians here at OMSC from overseas, who like their Lord find deep satisfaction and nourishment in doing their Father’s will (See John 4:34), is deeply challenging and comforting.

They trust God and have seen the Almighty at work in miraculous ways in the past and are confident that God will fulfill Jesus’ purposes for them in the future. I find their example in the face of numerous trials and dangers not mentioned here humbling, and a great cure for grumbling. Their courageous example is encouraging and helps me move toward embracing God’s word through faith and obedience. May their example, and the example of Jesus and the great cloud of witnesses, encourage us on our journey to enter God’s rest rather than put God to the test.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Message (A Puzzle Verse)

Fall back on common sense

As you read this verse I share;

It contains a worthwhile message

That’s encoded with great care.

Here’s a hint that is important;

It’s not too hard to find;

Settle down and read this through

To make it come to mind.

Here’s a proven method

Every solver brought to bear;

Apply yourself to letters—

Not the verses that are there.

Stop now and just relax

With your eye upon what’s written;

Each letter of the message

Remains in place and is not hidden.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Before destruction the heart of man is haughty.”

Proverbs 18:12

It is an old and common saying, that “coming events cast their shadows before them;” the wise man teaches us that a haughty heart is the prophetic prelude of evil. Pride is as safely the sign of destruction as the change of mercury in the weather-glass is the sign of rain; and far more infallibly so than that. When men have ridden the high horse, destruction has always overtaken them.

Let David's aching heart show that there is an eclipse of a man's glory when he dotes upon his own greatness. 2 Sam. 24:10. See Nebuchadnezzar, the mighty builder of Babylon, creeping on the earth, devouring grass like oxen, until his nails had grown like bird's claws, and his hair like eagle's feathers. Dan. 4:33. Pride made the boaster a beast, as once before it made an angel a devil. God hates high looks, and never fails to bring them down. All the arrows of God are aimed at proud hearts.

O Christian, is thine heart haughty this evening? For pride can get into the Christian's heart as well as into the sinner's; it can delude him into dreaming that he is “rich and increased in goods, and hath need of nothing.” Art thou glorying in thy graces or thy talents? Art thou proud of thyself, that thou hast had holy frames and sweet experiences? Mark thee, reader, there is a destruction coming to thee also. Thy flaunting poppies of self-conceit will be pulled up by the roots, thy mushroom graces will wither in the burning heat, and thy self-sufficiency shall become as straw for the dunghill.

If we forget to live at the foot of the cross in deepest lowliness of spirit, God will not forget to make us smart under his rod. A destruction will come to thee, O unduly exalted believer, the destruction of thy joys and of thy comforts, though there can be no destruction of thy soul. Wherefore, “He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A new job.

My husband was in the military and when he got “orders” for a permanent change of station, that meant packing up and moving with him. We moved to this city and I submitted my paperwork to a Civilian Personnel Office for a job.

Waiting to hear from the personnel office turned into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. Finally after about two years, I was really beginning to get frustrated (trying to be patient). So I decided to give the personnel office a visit.

Upon visiting with the personnel clerk, I discovered that my name had been submitted for (now get this) 105 jobs over the last two years. I couldn’t believe it! I’ve heard of the saying “It’s not what you know, but who you know”, but this was ridiculous. Not only had I been considered for 105 jobs, but not once had I been interviewed.

I made up in my mind that I was going to have to talk to my “Father in Heaven” about this. For I said if it’s true about not what you know, but who you know, then I know God and I’m putting my “Father” on this right now.

After the personnel office closed the following day, I went out to the Civilian Personnel Office and laid my hands on the building and prayed that the Lord would touch the minds of the people that were in charge of hiring and that they would select me for the right job.

After praying and activating my faith, I LEFT IT ALONE and went to school to learn another trade. Now mind you this was the latter part of August. One day in October when I got home from school, there was a message on my answering machine for me to call the Personnel Office. I called the next day and they had a job offer for me! This was during the time that there was a “freeze” on hiring for an indefinite period of time.

The clerk said, “We would like to offer you a job, and it’s a part-time … Oh, wait a minute, this is strange… it is a full-time position … We haven’t seen one of these in a looong time!” And she went on to say “The hours are from … Um, this is strange also, the hours are from 8 p.m. – 4 a.m. This is all so very strange for a permanent full-time position to come thru here at this time and for the hours to be as they are.”

I thought to myself that is strange to her, but not to me for I know the Power of God! I truly knew tht God had seen my faith and my patience and had rewarded me for that. You see, I was able to go to school during the day from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. and work at night from 8 p.m. – 4 a.m. Not only that, but when we were not busy on my job at night, I was able to study for tests and do homework. When we finished early (God made sure that we finished early almost every night), I was able to leave and get more rest before having to go to school the next day.

God is an AWESOME GOD AND DESERVES ALL THE PRAISE AND GLORY. His word declares “If you have faith that of a mustard seed, you can say to that mountain “Move” and it shall be cast out of your way.” So be encouraged and know WHAT GOD HAS FOR YOU IS FOR YOU.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church.”

Ephesians 5:25

What a golden example Christ gives to his disciples! Few masters could venture to say, “If you would practise my teaching, imitate my life;” but as the life of Jesus is the exact transcript of perfect virtue, he can point to himself as the paragon of holiness, as well as the teacher of it. The Christian should take nothing short of Christ for his model. Under no circumstances ought we to be content unless we reflect the grace which was in him.

As a husband, the Christian is to look upon the portrait of Christ Jesus, and he is to paint according to that copy. The true Christian is to be such a husband as Christ was to his church. The love of a husband is special. The Lord Jesus cherishes for the church a peculiar affection, which is set upon her above the rest of mankind: “I pray for them, I pray not for the world.” The elect church is the favourite of heaven, the treasure of Christ, the crown of his head, the bracelet of his arm, the breastplate of his heart, the very centre and core of his love.

A husband should love his wife with a constant love, for thus Jesus loves his church. He does not vary in his affection. He may change in his display of affection, but the affection itself is still the same. A husband should love his wife with an enduring love, for nothing “shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” A true husband loves his wife with a hearty love, fervent and intense. It is not mere lip-service.

Ah! beloved, what more could Christ have done in proof of his love than he has done? Jesus has a delighted love towards his spouse: He prizes her affection, and delights in her with sweet complacence. Believer, you wonder at Jesus’ love; you admire it—are you imitating it? In your domestic relationships is the rule and measure of your love—“even as Christ loved the church?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Faith and Giving of a Child

There was a family that was experiencing a small tragedy. One of their two sons had acquired an illness that required a marrow transplant. Of course, the medical personell had all the family members tested to see who had the proper type of blood. It turned out the older brother of the sick boy was the perfect match. So the father sat the older brother down and told what they needed to do in simplest terms for the young boy. The father told him that his little brother was very very sick and that he needed to show his little brother how much he loved him by having surgery. The doctors need to take a little piece of him and put it in his little brother’s body so that he doesn’t die. The young boy thought about it for a couple seconds, and then he said he would do it.

So the older brother went through surgery. it was a success, and his little brother was recovering quickly. After the relief and joy passed over and the family was just sitting around relaxing, the father noticed his older son looking a little down and depressed. He took his son aside and asked him why he wasn’t happy- his brother was getting better. His son said that he was very glad that his brother was getting better. So the father asked again, why are you so sad? The boy said, “When is it time for me to die?”

That’s when the father realized what the boy actually had on his mind. His older son believed in his heart of hearts that he had to give up his own life so that his little brother who he loved could live.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Walking the Passion Week with Christ – Part One

The final week of Jesus’ earthly ministry is recorded in Scripture, so here’s the final week, the Passion Week of Jesus Christ.

Tuesday Afternoon
In the last week of Jesus’ earthly ministry, He sat there speaking to His disciples about the coming destruction of the Temple in His Olivet Discourse, and while prophesying about the many events that would lead up to His second coming, Judas was secretly meeting with the Sanhedrin about how he could betray Jesus. Even though Judas had no idea how his great evil would be, neither would he imagine the great good his evil deed would do. Jesus however, knew all about it.

“Then one of the twelve, whose name was Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, “What will you give me if I deliver him over to you?” And they paid him thirty pieces of silver. And from that moment he sought an opportunity to betray him” (Matt 26:14-16).

Jesus was betrayed by Judas for thirty pieces of silver which was about the price of a slave. Perhaps Judas thought he was doing the right thing in forcing Jesus’ hand, but in fact, Judas was fulfilling prophecies, and one known by Jesus and recorded by the psalmist was that “Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me” (Psalm 41:9). That “close friend” was Judas.

Wednesday
As Jesus was staying in Bethany, Mary came to anoint Jesus with a precious ointment. What an exceedingly generous gift Mary had given, but Judas knew it was worth about a year’s wages, so Judas seethed with anger because he knew how much money he could have made by selling the precious ointment. It was made from pure nard, a very expensive extract, and he was angry at wasting it…not for the poor’s sake, but for the keeper of the money. Not long afterwards, Judas secretly met with the Sanhedrin on how he might turn Jesus over to the Jews.

“Mary therefore took a pound of expensive ointment made from pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (he who was about to betray him), said, “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?” He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and having charge of the moneybag he used to help himself to what was put into it” (John 12:3-6).

There isn’t much from Scripture about what happened on Wednesday of the Passion Week. All we can surmise from the timeline is that Jesus spent the night in Bethany, but Jesus’ mind was fully set on Calvary. He knew this was the reason He came to earth. He and the Father had agreed from before time began to purchase those whom God would save through Jesus’ own blood, so even though the Scriptures are silent about what happened on Wednesday of the Passion Week, this must have been a day and night where Jesus spent time in prayer, both day and night. Did Mary know something the disciples didn’t know? Like, Jesus was going to die and be buried? Perhaps, but the ointment may have come from her dowry, so she gave all she add because Jesus was all she needed.

Thursday Morning
John and Peter walked into that small city until they found a man who they believe was the man Jesus was talking about. They remembered Jesus’ telling them to meet a man and tell him, “The Teacher says, ‘My time is at hand.’” When the man showed them to an upper room, they began to make preparations for the Passover Meal, just as Jesus had instructed them.

“Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Where will you have us prepare for you to eat the Passover?” He said, “Go into the city to a certain man and say to him, ‘The Teacher says, My time is at hand. I will keep the Passover at your house with my disciples.’” And the disciples did as Jesus had directed them, and they prepared the Passover” (Matt 26:17-19).

Scripture doesn’t reveal much of anything until early Thursday when Jesus tells Peter and John to go and make preparations for the Passover Meal. Jesus must have made an arrangement with the man ahead of time, because the disciples found that an upper room had already been reserved for them, and the man who Jesus told Peter and John to look for must have known more about the meaning of Jesus’ coming than the disciple did, because Jesus told them to say to the man, “The Teacher says, ‘My time is at hand.’” It seems the disciples were always slow in getting what Jesus was teaching them…and in many ways, I’m like that too.

Thursday Evening
Judas left the Passover Meal and entered into the darkness of night. He went to the temple under cover of night to work out a deal with the religious leaders. They were delighted that Judas had come to betray Jesus so they gave him a bag with 30 pieces of silver inside.

“He answered, “He who has dipped his hand in the dish with me will betray me. The Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born” (Matt 26:23-24).

For a mere 30 pieces of silver, Judas was betraying the Son of God, not knowing that he was fulfilling prophecies, like in the Book of Psalms which says, “Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me” (Psalm 41:9). It’s interesting that Judas went out into the darkness, for this was the darkest of nights. A night were evil would reign; a night the Son of God would be betrayed, but of course, God uses evil for good (Gen 50:2; John 3:16), and Judas evil fulfilled God’s redemptive plan to perfection, and that plan was to have Jesus come and give His life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45). That would bring the best of news to those who would trust in Christ.

Thursday Night
After sunset, Jesus sat down with the disciples to eat the Passover Meal and He told them about a new covenant that would provide for the forgiveness of sins, but only through His own shed blood. What puzzled looks there must have been on the disciples’ faces? When Jesus washed the disciples’ feet, he came to peter, and Peter refused Him (John 13:8). Jesus knew that only later would Peter understand what Jesus was teaching them.

Matthew 26:26-28 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”

Jesus introduced something totally new on this Passover night. He introduced them to a new covenant which didn’t require animal sacrifices, but instead, the giving of His own body as the sacrifice…and this new covenant made the forgiveness of sins possible. The disciples must have still struggled to understand this, and maybe that’s why Peter just didn’t get it. They expected Jesus to live and reign over Israel forever; not die on a cross. They hadn’t fully grasped that God’s purpose was to have Jesus come and serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45). Jesus, in washing the disciples’ feet, gave them the greatest example of serving…He being God, took the position of a servant. He had told them before that the greatest among them will be the servant of all (Matt 23:11).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Doing God's job.

What’s this world coming to
We hear somebody say
Those words are getting famous
We hear them everyday

But if you’ll just take a moment
To look around, you’ll see
It’s not the world that’s changing
It’s folks like you and me

There’s people in the white house
That wants to change this land
But ONLY if it fits their needs
And not their fellowman

But of all the things through this world
That saddens me most to hear
Is all the big new clinics
That’s spread both far and near

Where they can take a little life
Before it’s ever born
No looking back,no second thought
No one to ever mourn

Another precious life is gone
It never had the chance
To look upon its mother’s face
She had no backward glance

So many churches of today
Their doors flung open wide
But look around and you will see
That GOD is left outside

Some have gotten so corrupt
That Angels fear to trod
And it’s all because we think that we
Can do the job for God

The moral of this story
Has a meaning sad but true
And we’re all guilty of these things
Including ME and YOU

It’s people that messed up this world
And it started way back when
We thought that we was smart enough
To do God’s job for Him

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house.”

Psalm 36:8

Sheba's queen was amazed at the sumptuousness of Solomon's table. She lost all heart when she saw the provision of a single day; and she marvelled equally at the company of servants who were feasted at the royal board. But what is this to the hospitalities of the God of grace? Ten thousand thousand of his people are daily fed; hungry and thirsty, they bring large appetites with them to the banquet, but not one of them returns unsatisfied; there is enough for each, enough for all, enough for evermore.

Though the host that feed at Jehovah's table is countless as the stars of heaven, yet each one has his portion of meat. Think how much grace one saint requires, so much that nothing but the Infinite could supply him for one day; and yet the Lord spreads his table, not for one, but many saints, not for one day, but for many years; not for many years only, but for generation after generation.

Observe the full feasting spoken of in the text, the guests at mercy's banquet are satisfied, nay, more “abundantly satisfied;” and that not with ordinary fare, but with fatness, the peculiar fatness of God's own house; and such feasting is guaranteed by a faithful promise to all those children of men who put their trust under the shadow of Jehovah's wings.

I once thought if I might but get the broken meat at God's back door of grace I should be satisfied; like the woman who said, “The dogs eat of the crumbs that fall from the master's table;” but no child of God is ever served with scraps and leavings; like Mephibosheth, they all eat from the king's own table. In matters of grace, we all have Benjamin's mess—we all have ten times more than we could have expected, and though our necessities are great, yet are we often amazed at the marvellous plenty of grace which God gives us experimentally to enjoy.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Master plan

There is never a moment in life

That we don’t need God standing by;

He is the answer we’re seeking

When we ask the question “Why?”

It’s all a matter of faith,

The faith that allows you to pause

And remember the full importance

And immutability of God’s laws.

He’s standing there beside you,

And in faith you can always see

That God has a plan for forever

Though its unknown by you and me;

So with Him in control you can focus

On performing as well as you can

The duties he wants you to handle

While He handles the master plan.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Walking the Passion Week with Christ – Part Two

The final week of Jesus’ earthly ministry is recorded in Scripture, so here’s the final week, the Passion Week of Jesus Christ.

Friday Morning
After having been up all night, Jesus stood in front of the Sanhedrin while one false witness after another lied about Him, but Jesus remained silent through it all, so Caiaphas the High Priest angrily asked Him, are “you the Christ, the Son of God?” to which Jesus said, “You have said so.” After that, the high priest tore his clothes, and one by one, they came up to Jesus and hurled insults at Him, spit in His face, slapped Him, and struck Him several times.

“Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has uttered blasphemy. What further witnesses do we need? You have now heard his blasphemy. What is your judgment?” They answered, “He deserves death.” Then they spit in his face and struck him. And some slapped him” (Matt 26:65-67).

The Jews condemned Jesus at an illegal trial in the middle of the night. They used false witnesses to testify against Him, and they accused Jesus of being God, which by the way, He is, however they really didn’t understand that this was the very reason Jesus came to be born into human flesh. He came to live a sinless life of perfection, then fall into the hands of the religious leaders, suffer from the scourging by the Romans, and die in agony on the cross. But that was not the end of Jesus as everyone had thought because three days later, Jesus would be raised to life, and it would change the world forever.

Friday Afternoon
There was nothing good about this Friday at all, at least for Jesus or His followers. As they watched Jesus hang on the cross in agony for hours, 3 hours of darkness overcame the land. Then, around 3pm, just when the Jews were killing the Passover lambs, Jesus yield His spirit to the Father. Then there was a faint rumble…then boom, a great earthquake, and suddenly some of the saints of old came out of their graves, many in Jerusalem seeing them. When the Roman centurion saw all that had happened, he fell on his knees, realizing that this Man truly was the Son of God!

“And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And the earth shook, and the rocks were split. The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many. When the centurion and those who were with him, keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe and said, “Truly this was the Son of God” (Matthew 26:51-54).

It is no coincidence that the very time Jesus died on the cross, around 3pm, was the very time the Passover lambs were being sacrificed, but no sacrifice would match that of Jesus! He died once and for all who would trust in Him. Apparently, the Roman centurion came to believe. When he witnessed all of the supernatural events, like the three hours of darkness, the mighty earthquake, and reports of the dead being raised, he and those with him were suddenly convinced that Jesus was the Son of God. The Romans had done hundreds and hundreds of executions by the cross, but never had anything like this happened before…or since.

Sunday Morning
As the two women came to anoint the dead body of Jesus, they must have wondered how they were going to get into the tomb to anoint His body since they couldn’t move the stone from where Jesus was laid. Then, there was a great earthquake and when the two women arrived, they noticed that the stone had been rolled away and an angel of God and he announced that Jesus wasn’t there…He was risen!

“But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay” (Matt 28:5-6).

The Bible says that the wages of sin is death (Rom 6:23), and since Jesus only took upon Himself our sins, and was sinless Himself, then there was no way death could hold Him. The Apostle Peter declared, “God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it” (Acts 2:24). The saints being raised after the great earthquake may be God’s way of telling us that Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection has broken the curse of sin and has now made eternal life possible for all who trust in Him. Now, not even death can separate us from Him (Rom 8:38-39). Jesus said God is the God of the living and not the dead (Luke 20:38).

Sunday Evening
All the disciples, except for Thomas, were hiding out behind locked doors, perhaps thinking that they’d be next. Many of them looked as if Jesus’ death had dashed all their hopes. Now they were sitting there with the windows closed and the doors locked… hiding from the Jews, but suddenly…Jesus appears out of nowhere!

“On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord” (John 20:19-20).

Jesus had been speaking to His disciples about going up to Jerusalem to suffer, and die, and then being raised on the third day, but they just couldn’t understand it or at least, they couldn’t accept it, and they were even afraid to ask Him about it. They had heard Him talk about these things, but they were afraid to ask Him about it (Mark 9:32), so really, they wouldn’t have understood all of this until after Jesus had been raised from the dead. By then, they understood, and they made sure everyone else understood it too. They went out into all the world and preached the gospel (Matt 28:18-20; Acts 1:8), and they’re still doing that through their gospels and their letters in the New Testament. They still have good news for everyone: He is risen! And because He lives, we can live too…with Him…forever!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Blending voices, blending faith

In our church we have no musical instruments, only the beautifully blended voices of our congregation. During each service we sing five songs and almost always, during one of those five songs, I stop singing in order to listen to the beautiful sound of all the other voices rising to the high ceiling of our meeting place.

Lately I have found myself praying as I rejoin the singing. My prayer is that my voice be according to the will of God, free of affectation, with no thought of how I sound to others but with my heart filled with the words and meaning of the songs and with a joy in the blessings of God those songs represent. Perhaps everyone in our congregation sometimes words this same prayer in their heart, because while some of us are good singers and some of us aren’t, the blend is always beautiful. They say oil and water does not mix; but if you sing with a voice as smooth as oil and I in a thin watery quaver, God can make our voices blend into a beautiful tone.

I thought about this after singing concluded this past Sunday and I found myself wondering if this might be a metaphor for what people of faith are able to do in the world. Perhaps a few faithful folks, aided by the mind of God, can walk through the flood of humanity and improve the entire world. As I pray to God for harmony in song, I will henceforth pray that my faith and belief may somehow be added to those in the world who do not know God and in some way influence them to come to Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit.”

Luke 10:21

The Saviour was “a man of sorrows,” but every thoughtful mind has discovered the fact that down deep in his innermost soul he carried an inexhaustible treasury of refined and heavenly joy. Of all the human race, there was never a man who had a deeper, purer, or more abiding peace than our Lord Jesus Christ. “He was anointed with the oil of gladness above his fellows.” His vast benevolence must, from the very nature of things, have afforded him the deepest possible delight, for benevolence is joy.

There were a few remarkable seasons when this joy manifested itself. “At that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth.” Christ had his songs, though it was night with him; though his face was marred, and his countenance had lost the lustre of earthly happiness, yet sometimes it was lit up with a matchless splendour of unparalleled satisfaction, as he thought upon the recompense of the reward, and in the midst of the congregation sang his praise unto God.

In this, the Lord Jesus is a blessed picture of his church on earth. At this hour the church expects to walk in sympathy with her Lord along a thorny road; through much tribulation she is forcing her way to the crown. To bear the cross is her office, and to be scorned and counted an alien by her mother's children is her lot; and yet the church has a deep well of joy, of which none can drink but her own children.

There are stores of wine, and oil, and corn, hidden in the midst of our Jerusalem, upon which the saints of God are evermore sustained and nurtured; and sometimes, as in our Saviour's case, we have our seasons of intense delight, for “There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of our God.” Exiles though we be, we rejoice in our King; yea, in him we exceedingly rejoice, while in his name we set up our banners.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My husband is having a diagnostic test tomorrow. I’m an action-oriented person; and up until now I have dealt with his health problems in an action-oriented way. Every problem has a solution, right?

I attacked his health issues the same way I attack everything I desire to have done.

Encouragement: “Go to the doctor and see what he says.”

Insistence: “When are you going to call the doctor?”

Demanding: “If you don’t call and get an appointment, I’ll do it for you.”

Now the appointment has been made, the test is scheduled and we must wait until it’s over to see if there is:

1. No problem.
  2. A minor problem.
  3. A major problem.
At this point, all that can be done in regard to my husband’s health is pray; and now is the time for that, so I guess that’s the final action I can take. That’s what I’ll do right now. That’s what I’ll do tomorrow during his test; and when the test is over, whatever the result, God will be with us.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.”

Luke 19:40

But could the stones cry out? Assuredly they could if he who opens the mouth of the dumb should bid them lift up their voice. Certainly if they were to speak, they would have much to testify in praise of him who created them by the word of his power; they could extol the wisdom and power of their Maker who called them into being. Shall not we speak well of him who made us anew, and out of stones raised up children unto Abraham? The old rocks could tell of chaos and order, and the handiwork of God in successive stages of creation's drama; and cannot we talk of God's decrees, of God's great work in ancient times, in all that he did for his church in the days of old?

If the stones were to speak, they could tell of their breaker, how he took them from the quarry, and made them fit for the temple, and cannot we tell of our glorious Breaker, who broke our hearts with the hammer of his word, that he might build us into his temple? If the stones should cry out they would magnify their builder, who polished them and fashioned them after the similitude of a palace; and shall not we talk of our Architect and Builder, who has put us in our place in the temple of the living God? If the stones could cry out, they might have a long, long story to tell by way of memorial, for many a time hath a great stone been rolled as a memorial before the Lord; and we too can testify of Ebenezers, stones of help, pillars of remembrance.

The broken stones of the law cry out against us, but Christ himself, who has rolled away the stone from the door of the sepulchre, speaks for us. Stones might well cry out, but we will not let them: we will hush their noise with ours; we will break forth into sacred song, and bless the majesty of the Most High, all our days glorifying him who is called by Jacob the Shepherd and Stone of Israel.