• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Janine’s Package of Help

Janine needed help in the worst way but it would be a “cold day” before she’d ask for it. After all, whenever she needed or asked for help in the past, there was never anyone around.

Living in the outskirts of Texas where nothing can be seen except flat, dry ground and an occasional car or van driving by, could be downright tedious! And, the sad part was that those few and far between cars and vans were often the highlights in Janine’s life and that could be mighty devastating to someone so alone, like Janine.

Well, like it not she needed help today and as far as she could tell, it was unlikely anyone would be coming along—including relatives, to help save the day..

Janine had just gone through the last stages of menopause, divorced her husband of twenty years and saw the last of her children leave, just two months ago. She was now alone, with just her computer and books to keep her company.

It was hard to ask for help but if she didn’t get some kind of emotional assistance soon, she knew her life might soon be over.

She sat at her desk, surrounded by mounds of papers and folders, a large computer and through it all, looked out her small bedroom window and sighed, “When did this awful depression begin and why didn’t I see it coming?” Of course she did see it coming with the divorce and children leaving; she was simply in denial.

She sat there looking out the window for about twenty minutes and then her cell phone rang…

Who could that be? She seldom received phone calls in the middle of the day. It probably was a salesman; after all, who else would call in the afternoon?

She picked up the receiver and a deep voice answered, “Did you get my message?”

“Who is this and what message are you talking about?”

“ My email and you don’t need to know my name. Well, gotta go. Check you out, later?”

Before she could reply, the caller hung up and she was left wondering what was going on.

Minutes later, she checked her email and sure enough there was a message from Steve.

She opened the message and it said, “Hi Janine! Hope you’re alright. I’m sending you a package and it’s something that will help you.”

“What a strange email! I’m not even going to dignify it with a response. Just a quack, I’m sure.”

The following day around eleven in the morning, a UPS man came to her door and knocked.

“Hi ma’am. Got a package for you.”

She signed for it, closed the door and opened the package. It was big and it took time to open it. Underneath all of the layers of wrapping she finally found the object, small and at the very bottom…

“This is exactly what I need! But, how in the world did he know what I needed?”

Inside the package was something tiny, almost unnoticeable but it was exactly what Janine needed….Wrapped in a beautiful gold cloth, inside the small package laid a cross and inscribed on the back was written, “To Janine, with love from Jesus, via Steve, my disciple.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dreams: GOD'S Forgotten Language?

Part I

"I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied."1

Dreams. Do they have meaning and purpose? Does God still speak to people through them?

Technically speaking, dreams are the right or creative side of the brain communicating to the left or logical side of the brain. They are often visual symbols representing what we are feeling deep inside. Clinical tests have shown that we all dream every night even if we don't remember what we have dreamed.

Dreaming is one of nature's ways to relieve tension. In one test, sleepers were monitored with electronic equipment to show when they were dreaming. As soon as they started to dream, they were awakened and the dream stopped. The test had to be discontinued after several nights as the people in the test were becoming too emotionally distressed.

Some dreams can be caused by an emotional upset; others by stress or physical pain. For several days, following an operation on my Achilles tendon, which I snapped twice in three months, I kept dreaming over and over that I was falling and snapping my tendon. These were more like nightmares!

At other times dreams can be very insightful. For instance, some dreams have clearly shown me conflicts from childhood that I needed to resolve.

When we have repeated dreams on a theme—such as when we are trying to run from something but can't move, or when we are being chased but can't get away, or falling and can't catch ourselves—it may indicate an unresolved fear or conflict from the past. It's nature's way of notifying us that we need to resolve some long forgotten memory.

But does God ever speak to us today through dreams as he did in Bible times to the patriarchs and prophets?

At times I think God still uses dreams to communicate to us. On one occasion when my organization (ACTS International) was facing a severe financial crisis, I was feeling very afraid and discouraged, and fell asleep during my morning devotional time when I had a fascinating dream. In the dream I heard a voice that said very clearly, "Philippians 4:18 makes sense to me."

Immediately I woke up, opened my Bible to that passage and read the following: "I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied!" I had never memorized that Scripture verse so it didn't come from my memory bank! That certainly encouraged me and, by way of interest, we did survive that crisis.

Some dreams may be from God. Most aren't. However, the ability to dream is. And we have been given them for a purpose—at least to relieve stress and to gain insights for personal and spiritual growth. The difficulty can be in interpreting them correctly. However, through prayer and practice we can learn to do this and use these dreams creatively.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you for the God-given ability to dream. Help me to recognize when my dreams are telling me that I have an issue that needs to be resolved, or a responsibility I need to take care of, and then lead me to the help I need to do this. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

To be continued. . .

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dreams: God's Forgotten Language? Part II

"Your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions."1

Dreams not only give valuable personal insights but also have given many creative insights. Some inventors, for example, have received profound ideas from dreams. I recall reading how the inventor, Elias Howe, designed the first sewing machine. He was having great difficulty in conceiving a workable needle. When he was close to running out of money, he had an unusual dream. He dreamt that he was about to be executed because he failed to design a sewing machine for the king of a strange country.

In his dream he was surrounded by guards, all of whom held spears that had been pierced with holes near the tip. Howe woke up and immediately rushed to his workshop. The perfect concept for the sewing machine needle came to him in this dream. Within a few hours the first sewing machine was well on the way to being designed.

I have heard it said that the theory of relativity came to Einstein in either a dream or a vision. Apparently he saw it on a beam of light. I have also read that the design for the first radio tube came to the inventor in a dream.

Was it time for these discoveries to come into the world and did God give them to the persons who were trained to understand them and put them to use? Or did they just happen by chance? I prefer to think the former.

So whatever we think about dreams, as we said yesterday, they are a God-given gift in that he gave us the ability to dream. Whether we repress them as many do, ignore them as most do, or use them for creative purposes as some do is entirely up to each individual.

To remember dreams it can be very helpful to keep a pen and pad at your bedside and record any dream that makes a strong impression on your mind. Speaking personally, dreams have given me many valuable insights for growth and recovery.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, whenever I have a dream that is meant to help me grow, resolve an issue, do a good deed, help someone in need, or gain a valuable insight, please help me to interpret it correctly and use it for the purpose for which it was given. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Test the Spirits

"Do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God."1

How can we be sure when and if God is speaking to us?

When I was a young Christian I wanted to serve God and sometimes felt He was telling me to do something. However, this "still small voice" within sometimes had me very confused and in bondage. In time I came to see that this "voice in my head" was not from God at all because, "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom,"2 and I had no freedom.

One's inner "voice" may come from God's Spirit, or it can come from ourselves (our own compulsions), or from the tempter. If the tempter knows he can't pull us down into acting out in destructive sinful behaviors, he may try to "push us over the top" where we become "so heavenly minded we are no earthly use."

To know where one's "inner voice" is from, we need to learn how to discern between a conviction and a compulsion, or recognize if the "voice" is from the tempter. With a conviction from God I am drawn and always have the freedom to say no. With a compulsion I am driven and feel that "I have to" do what the "inner voice" is demanding of me. If from the tempter, we know that it is a voice wanting us to do what we know is wrong and sinful.

Some people try to justify what they want to do by claiming God told or led them to do it. Or they don't do what they don't want to do because God didn't tell them to do it—even though it is a clear directive of God's Word. No wonder that the Apostle John advised in the Bible, "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God."

First and foremost, God speaks to us through his Word, the Bible, and never in any way contrary to it. He also speaks or leads through various circumstances, as well as through inner convictions. If it is from God, it will be in harmony with his Word and there will be a sense of freedom. If it is contrary to God's Word or any type of compulsion we can know it isn't God speaking to us and we need to reject it.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please give me a spirit of discernment so that I will always recognize when You are leading me, or if I am being driven by a compulsion from within myself or from without by the tempter. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Success vs. Significance

"Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."1

Michael Josephson of Character Counts talks about the difference between success and significance. He says, "The irony is that living a life focused on the pursuit of significance is so much more gratifying than one devoted to the treadmill of success. Whatever sacrifices are involved tend to enlarge rather than diminish personal satisfaction…. Quite simply, it feels good—really, really good—to be valued and valuable.

"So, people who pursue significance are concerned with making the most out of their lives. They help others not only for the sake of those they help but for their own sake. When we use our mental and material resources to make a positive difference in the lives of others, we are rewarded with a sense of satisfaction that's hard to get any other way. Success can produce pleasure, but only significance can generate fulfillment."2

Sounds like good advice to me—as does the timely advice attributed to Stephen Grellet, the Franco-American Quaker (1773-1885)—who said: "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow-creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

We don't have to be famous to be significant. Every kind deed, kind word, thoughtful action, is significant. Added up over a lifetime, in God's eyes they make a life both significant and truly successful.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please deliver me from wanting to be successful only in human terms, but rather significant and successful in Your eyes by being 'as Christ' in some way to every life I touch. So help me God. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ready to Go? Let’s Go.

For I am ready . . . even to die in Jerusalem

for the name of the Lord Jesus—Acts 21:13

When we follow him, God will—sooner or later—ask us to do something we don’t want to do, to go someplace we don’t want to go. Maybe his “ask” will come through a nudge or as a thought in prayer. Maybe it will come as a prompt while reading Scripture. Maybe through the encouraging or challenging words of a friend. However it comes, it will come.

After visiting Ephesus and Macedonia, the Apostle Paul got an “ask” from God the Holy Spirit to go on to Jerusalem (Acts 19:21). The Spirit warned him, however: if he went there, he’d be arrested. Paul’s friends begged him not to go. Paul answered: “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus” (Acts 21:13).

For us to become the men we were created to become, for us to become the men the world needs us to become, we must act with the same boldness and confidence. Paul was bold and confident because he trusted two things: God’s in charge and God’s good.

We must trust those too. For they allow us, like Paul, to trust one thing more: our affirmative answers to God’s “asks” are ultimately good for us, good for others, and good for God’s Kingdom . . . and will very likely become the proudest moments of our lives. Indeed, these “asks” lead us into the very adventures for which we were created.

Okay, so what do we do?

What do you feel God might be asking of you, right now? Is there anything you just know he’s prompting you, quietly, to do? If so, resolve to trust him. And today take a practical and measurable step—bold and confident—toward that thing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Listen to Your Heart

"When you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent."

Melody Beattie in her book, The Language of Letting Go, emphasizes the importance of contemplating what is on your mind first thing when you wake up in the morning? What is it in that half-asleep, half-awake place? Are you troubled about something?

Is there some responsibility you have neglected and is bothering you? Is it a project you've wanted to start but have kept putting it off? Is it an unhealthy relationship you are in and you know that you need to either resolve or end it? Is it a destructive habit or sin that you feel convicted about?

Whatever is on your mind at this time is coming from your inner self, your unconscious mind, or it may be from God's Spirit. It may be revealing an issue you need to deal with, or a project you've been thinking about starting for months. Listen to that voice and do what you know you need to do about it. Don't put it off. Take care of it each day.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You that You have given me a heart (an inner self) for insight and intuition as well as a head for thinking and knowing. Please help me use both in harmony with the leading of Your Holy Spirit. And help me to search my heart and hear what Your Holy Spirit might be saying to me. Give me discernment to know what is valid, and the courage to act on that which is. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Only Once In Your Life

Only once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who
can completely turn your world around.

You tell them things that you’ve never shared with another soul
and they absorb everything you say and actually want to hear
more.

You share hopes for the future, dreams that will never come true,
goals that were never achieved and the many disappointments life
has thrown at you.

When something wonderful happens, you can’t wait to tell them
about it, knowing they will share in your excitement.

They are not embarrassed to cry with you when you are hurting or
laugh with you when you make a fool of yourself. Never do they
hurt your feelings or make you feel like you are not good enough,
but rather they build you up and show you the things about
yourself that make you special and even beautiful.

There is never any pressure, jealousy or competition but only a
quiet calmness when they are around.

You can be yourself and not worry about what they will think of
you because they love you for who you are. The things that seem
insignificant to most people such as a note, song or walk become
invaluable treasures kept safe in your heart to cherish forever.

Memories of your childhood come back and are so clear and vivid
it’s like being young again.

Colours seem brighter and more brilliant.

Laughter seems part of daily life where before it was infrequent
or didn’t exist at all.

A phone call or two during the day helps to get you through a
long day’s work and always brings a smile to your face.

In their presence, there’s no need for continuous conversation,
but you find you’re quite content in just having them nearby.

Things that never interested you before become fascinating
because you know they are important to this person who is so
special to you.

You think of this person on every occasion and in everything you
do. Simple things bring them to mind like a pale blue sky,
gentle wind or even a storm cloud on the horizon.

You open your heart knowing that there’s a chance it may be
broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love
and joy that you never dreamed possible.

You find that being vulnerable is the only way to allow your
heart to feel true pleasure that’s so real it scares you.

You find strength in knowing you have a true friend and possibly
a soul mate who will remain loyal to the end.

Life seems completely different, exciting and worthwhile.
Your only hope and security is in knowing that they are a part
of your life.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
To Enemy With Love

But in ordinary life you are aware that opposites are always joined together, that they are not opposites but complementaries. You know perfectly well, your love can at any moment become hate, and your hate can at any moment become love. In fact if you hate too much, intensely and totally, it is bound to become love.

That’s what happened to the person called Saul who later on became Paul and founded this ugly phenomenon, the Christian church. Jesus is not the founder of the Christian church, the founder of the Christian church is Saint Paul. And the story is worth remembering.

When he was born, his name was Saul. And he was so anti Christ that his whole life was devoted to destroying Christians and Christianity. His whole dedication was to persecute Christians, destroying any possibility of Christianity for the future, and effacing the name of Christ.

He must have hated tremendously, his hate cannot be ordinary. When you devote your whole life to the object of your hatred, it is bound to be really total. Otherwise who cares? If you hate something you don’t devote your whole life to it. But if you hate totally, then it becomes a life-and-death problem.

Persecuting Christians, destroying Christians, destroying their power-holds, arguing with Christians, convincing them that this was nonsense, that this man Jesus was mad, a neurotic, a pretender, a hypocrite, one day it happened, the miracle happened. He was going to persecute more Christians in another town. On the way he was alone, and suddenly he saw Jesus appearing out of nowhere and asking him, “Why do you persecute me?”

Out of shock, terror, he fell on the ground, apologizing, crying great tears of repentance. The vision disappeared, and with the disappearance of the vision the old Saul disappeared. To remember this point he changed his name to Paul; the old man was dead, a new man had arrived. And he became the founder of the Christian church. He became a great lover of Jesus — the greatest lover the world has ever known.

Hate can become love. Jesus did not appear; it was just the intensity of his hate that projected Jesus. It was not Jesus who asked him, “Why do you persecute me?” It was his own unconscious which was suffering so much because of this hatred for Jesus. It was his own unconscious that asked him, “Why do you persecute me?” It was his own unconscious that became personified in the vision of Jesus. The miracle happened because the hate was total.

Whenever anything is total it turns into its opposite. This is a great secret to be remembered. Whenever something is total it changes into its opposite, because there is no way to go any further; the cul-de-sac has arrived.

Watch an old clock with a pendulum. It goes on and on: the pendulum goes to the left, to the extreme left, and then there is a point beyond which it cannot go, then it starts moving towards the right.

Opposites are complementaries. If you can suffer your suffering in totality, in great intensity, you will be surprised: Saul becomes Paul. You will not be able to believe it when it happens for the first time, that your own suffering absorbed willingly, welcomingly, becomes a great blessing. The same energy that becomes hate becomes love, the same energy that becomes pain becomes pleasure, the same energy that becomes suffering becomes bliss.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That One Word

I stood at the altar in front of the couple.

I have witnessed many weddings. The dresses, tuxedos, the
church decorations, and the food are what most focus on.

I was enamored by the word,

...that one word.

The one word answer to the question,
"...do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

I expected the typical, "I do."
Those two words made both famous and infamous.
I was not expecting his answer.

A voice loud and clear rang out with one word.

It reverberated from the ceiling as his one word,
filled with resolve,
carried his answer throughout the church.

"Absolutely!"

Far too often, "we do" but not absolutely.

Our commitment is filled with ifs, ands, and buts.

We do as long as it's convenient.
We do as long as it benefits us.
We do as long as it's not painful.
We do as long as they remain beautiful or handsome.
We do as long as they keep their figure.
We do as long as the bills are paid.
We do as long they stay healthy.
We do as long as no one more exciting looks our way.
We do as long as it suits us.

What things or people in life are we truly committed to?
To whom have we really said and meant, "Absolutely."

Is this the way a man and a woman should enter into marriage?
Should they feel that level of commitment?
Should they really believe that the only way
they would ever separate is by death?

Did Mr. and Mrs. Rudy Loney actually believe that?

Absolutely!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Being Nice or Being Christian?

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."1

In training for Christian ministry I recall one of my professors stating that every church had a church boss; that is, someone or a small group who, often behind the scenes, control the happenings of the church. This isn't usually the pastor or priest.

Today we call these people control freaks. They have a neurotic need to control others in order to feel okay about themselves, when in reality they do this because deep down they don't feel okay about themselves. They are very insecure.

William Easum calls them bullies. After years of consulting with churches he said, "I have seen a disturbing pattern: Most established churches are held hostage by bullies. Some individual or small group of individuals usually opposes the church's making any radical change, even if it means the change would give the church a chance to thrive again. Courageous pastors often ask, 'What do I do when one or two persons intimidate the church so much that it is not willing to try something new?'"2

Easum's response was either to convert them, neutralize them, or kick them out. To which some cry, "That's not very Christian."

The point is that sometimes (not always, by any means) we Christians are just too nice. That's more because we are too afraid to stand up to bullies and call their bluff—not because we're Christian. We'd rather keep the peace than rock the boat.

True, we are to be loving, but that doesn't mean we always have to be nice. I recall hearing an employer share how he was accused of not being Christian by an inept employee he was firing. So he said to the employee in question, "Well I'm going to lovingly fire you." If, after being given several warnings and help to improve, an employee is not pulling his or her weight, it isn't loving to let him off the hook. In fact, it is reinforcing his irresponsibility, which is anything but loving. Neither is it loving to allow bullies to control a church.

So let's not confuse loving with being nice. Jesus was always loving and compassionate as this was his nature, but he wasn't always nice. Think how he turned over the tables of the money changers—merchants who were ripping off the poor in the house of God, no less—and drove them out of the temple with a whip, and how he scathingly scorned the religious bigots who loved their doctrines more than they loved people, and used their teachings to control people for their own ends.

Jesus knew the value of tough love. Not that it's easy. In fact, it can be very difficult, but we need to exercise it too when such is called for.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, I confess that I am often afraid to exercise tough love for fear I won't be liked. Please help me to overcome my fear and give me the courage to exercise tough love when tough love is what is required. And give me the insight and grace to know how to do this in a firm but loving manner. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Too Good to Miss

When I am afraid,
I put my trust in you—Psalm 56:3

Most of us men struggle not with the fact that we’re designed for adventure. On some level, we can accept that. No, we tend to struggle rather with what, exactly, we’re willing to call “adventure.” We like to define, on our own terms, what is adventure and what is not.

The word itself conjures images of climbing mountains, or jumping from airplanes, or backpacking deep into the backcountry. And these are adventures, sure. But . . . what about when God calls us to confess to our Christian brothers something embarrassing to our pride (James 5:16)? What about when God calls us to risk a friendship by engaging in a tough conversation (Ephesians 4:15)? What about when God calls us to take a risk with our careers or our finances (Matthew 19:21)? What about when God simply calls us to serve others in a way that makes us uncomfortable (Matthew 25:40)? Are these less worthy of the title, adventure? No, of course, not. And, truly, aren’t these things more likely the adventures for which God designed us? Don’t they align much better with Scripture than does . . . skydiving?

The problem is that we tend to mistakenly view God’s adventures as unwanted interruptions, unpleasant hindrances, or unnecessary risks to the safe lives we’ve worked hard to create for ourselves and our families . . . rather than the mythic things that they are. And so we miss the great days, the great moments, and the great stories that God so wants to share . . . that he dreamt of, so long ago (Ephesians 1:3-6, 2:10).

Okay, so what do we do?

Begin to reorient. When confronted by interruptions, hindrances, or opportunities for risk, take a few seconds to ask yourself, might these have been intentionally placed in my way by a loving Father God?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“They are they which testify of me.”

John 5:39

Jesus Christ is the Alpha and Omega of the Bible. He is the constant theme of its sacred pages; from first to last they testify of him. At the creation we at once discern him as one of the sacred Trinity; we catch a glimpse of him in the promise of the woman's seed; we see him typified in the ark of Noah; we walk with Abraham, as he sees Messiah's day; we dwell in the tents of Isaac and Jacob, feeding upon the gracious promise; we hear the venerable Israel talking of Shiloh; and in the numerous types of the law, we find the Redeemer abundantly foreshadowed. Prophets and kings, priests and preachers, all look one way—they all stand as the cherubs did over the ark, desiring to look within, and to read the mystery of God's great propitiation.

Still more manifestly in the New Testament we find our Lord the one pervading subject. It is not an ingot here and there, or dust of gold thinly scattered, but here you stand upon a solid floor of gold; for the whole substance of the New Testament is Jesus crucified, and even its closing sentence is bejewelled with the Redeemer's name. We should always read Scripture in this light; we should consider the word to be as a mirror into which Christ looks down from heaven; and then we, looking into it, see his face reflected as in a glass—darkly, it is true, but still in such a way as to be a blessed preparation for seeing him as we shall see him face to face.

This volume contains Jesus Christ's letters to us, perfumed by his love. These pages are the garments of our King, and they all smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia. Scripture is the royal chariot in which Jesus rides, and it is paved with love for the daughters of Jerusalem. The Scriptures are the swaddling bands of the holy child Jesus; unroll them and you find your Saviour. The quintessence of the word of God is Christ.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Giving God Flowers

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"1

On one occasion when, Joy, my wife, had been away for a few days visiting family. I wanted to welcome her home by buying her flowers as an expression of my love and to show how pleased I was to have her home.

That same morning when I was having my devotions I knew I was going to be buying flowers for Joy so I prayed, "God, I'd like to give you some flowers today, too, as an expression of my love and to let you know how grateful I am to you for all you have done and do for me."

And how do you give God flowers?

Well? it was a Saturday morning so I was out early to do some shopping at our local hardware store as I had chores around the home to fix. As I was walking to my car, I heard a voice behind me, looked around, and there was a clean-cut young man (about early-twenty-something) sitting on the curb. He wanted to know how he could get a taxi back to Camp Pendleton. He'd been waiting for about an hour and none had turned up. He was a marine and needed to get back to camp—so I said, "Jump in my car. I'll take you."

It was about a 50 mile round trip—but I think that was my opportunity to give God flowers. The soldier's name was Jason. I gave him one of my business cards, which has a link to our online gospel message, and invited him to visit our website. Please pray for Jason.

Have you given God any flowers lately? And husbands, have you given your wife any flowers lately? As Jesus said, as often as you show a kindness to anyone, you do this as unto me.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me today in some way—no matter how small—to give you flowers by showing a kindness to a fellow sojourner in his or her moment of need. And grant that they will get a glimpse of Jesus in me, and will want Jesus for themselves. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Be Anxious for Nothing

Jesus said, "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?"1

As most of our Daily Encounter readers know, I grew up in Australia, a land that is only slightly smaller than mainland USA, but there are more people within a 200 mile radius of where I now live in Southern California than the whole of Australia combined. It seems that most of them are on the LA freeways at the same time during the rush hour traffic. Why they call it rush hour I'll never know. As another has said, it should be called slow hour!

However, recently when I was driving home from Los Angeles on the busy 405 freeway—where it was ten lanes wide with hundreds of cars traveling at high speed in both directions—I noticed a young palm tree growing out of a crack in the pavement at the foot of the three-foot-high concrete barrier right in the middle of the freeway that separates the speeding traffic flowing in opposite directions. This tiny tree was only about a meter or so from the fast lane and was totally oblivious to the thousands of cars that zip by at high speed every hour of the day and night. The thought of it blew me away.

Now, I have no ambition to plant myself where that palm tree had planted itself—that may be okay for a palm tree but not for people—to plant one's self in such a situation would be suicide. But in the midst of the rush and bustle of everyday life with all its endless pressures, little by little I'm working on learning to trust in God and be calm and peaceful (like that palm tree), realizing that, in the words of the unknown poet:

'Tis not the softer things of life
Which stimulate man's will to strive;
But bleak adversity and strife
Do most to keep man's will alive.
O'er rose-strewn paths the weaklings creep,
But brave hearts dare to climb the steep.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, again today I commit and trust my life and way to you in all that I am and do. Help me to trust you no matter what this day may bring, and not become anxious or afraid knowing that my times are in your hands. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Shoulds vs Wants

"Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom [liberty]."1

Recently we had a critical situation. Joy went interstate to help take care of family matters and assured me that there was no need for me to come. Because I was under a lot of work pressure, it would have been so much easier for me to stay at home. But to me it was important that I go, not because I should, but because I wanted to be with Joy to support her and the family.

Have you ever been in a similar situation and noticed that there is a big difference between "shoulds" and "wants"? If I do certain things only because I should and my heart is not in it, how genuine is that? I am talking more about a type of compulsive "shoulds" that can be very confusing at times.

If you have ever struggled with even mild compulsive "shoulds," how can you tell what is from God, from your own self, or even from the enemy?

Compulsive "shoulds" can come from various sources. They can come from a mental condition in the brain that is inherited, or from an over-dependent need to be popular, accepted and admired. They can come from a neurotic need for approval, from false motives, for payback or even to manipulate others. They can also come from a spirit of legalism which keeps one in terrible bondage.

Or they can come from the enemy—as the old saying goes, "If Satan can't pull us down into a life of sin and debauchery, he will try to push us over the top so we become so "heavenly minded that we are of no earthly use." This was so for me in my youthful days. It was like there was a little voice inside my head that would say, "You better do this or you better not do that. Or you better do that or you better not do this." At the time I thought this inner voice was from God telling me what I should do and what I shouldn't do. It got very confusing at times.

With the help of an understanding pastor, the defining factor for me was this: Is there a spirit of freedom in what this "inner voice" was "telling" me to do or was it a spirit of bondage? In my heart did I genuinely want to do this or was I being compulsively driven? If it were the latter, I knew it wasn't a genuine desire in my heart and it wasn't from God because, as God's Word says, "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom [liberty]."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, in all of life's struggles and challenges when I am confused as to what is right for me to do, please give me a discerning spirit so that I know what is from a false motive, what is from a spirit of legalism or from the enemy, and what is from you. And please help me to grow so that I will truly want to be what you want me to be and want to do what you want me to do. Thank you for hearing my answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What The Bible Teaches About Tolerance

Today it is politically correct to teach tolerance about everything, so what does the Bible teach about tolerance and how does it differ from the world’s version of tolerance?

Toleration

Tolerance has been defined as having sympathy for a cause, person, or belief, even if it’s against one’s own personal preferences or beliefs. We can disagree with someone or something but still not be disagreeable.

Tolerating is possible, even when it’s contrary to the person’s beliefs or practices, however tolerance of something or someone doesn’t mean you condone it. Tolerance can be in regards to pain, people, or things.

The Apostle Paul wrote that we are to be “Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive” (Col 3:13).

If we are not exhibiting tolerance toward those around us, then how can we expect to receive the tolerance of others when they disagree with us over something we do or believe, however there are somethings we cannot tolerate, like child abuse, violence, and abuse or neglect of the elderly, but that’s not what this article is about. It is about trying to understand what tolerance is so that we can be tolerant of others and their own way of life.

It’s about opening a dialog of mutual respect and living peaceably despite any disagreements. It is accepting who others for who they are, even if it’s totally opposite of what we are like. Tolerance is not permissiveness, especially if it has legal consequences, so we are not speaking of tolerance for criminal acts, but people who have differing opinions and beliefs than we do.

Drop the Stone

It’s almost like walking on egg shells today because whatever you say can be taken the wrong way. It seems we can tolerate just about anything except those who we disagree with, but again, tolerance is not condoning something.

It is simply acknowledging someone’s right to believe differently than we do, or hold to certain beliefs or practices that we may not agree with, and by the way, having every right to do so. Of course Christians recognize that many of the things they see people do are sin, but those same believers should also recognize that they also sin (Rom 7; 1st John 1:8, 10), so casting stones is not our business.

The Apostle John writes about a time when, one by one, they dropped the stone. This, after the woman caught in adultery was brought before Jesus, but Jesus would not condemn her, and neither did the Jews because they were not without sin. Jesus did tell the woman, “Go and sin no more” (John 8:11), but my question is, “Where was the man? Why wasn’t he brought before Jesus?

Isn’t that a double standard?” What the Jews were doing was to try and trap Jesus. If He said to stone her, the Jews would have turned Him into the Roman authorities because “It [was] not lawful for [them] to put anyone to death” (John 18:31), however if Jesus had dismissed the stoning, the Jewish religious leaders would have accused Him of breaking the Mosaic Law, however Jesus came to fulfill the law…and the New Covenant, is a Covenant of Grace.

The Old Testament laws were fulfilled in Christ and He is the end of the law (Gal 3). When we are asked what does the Bible says about something, we don’t offer our personal opinion, but we offer the Word of God, but Jesus never forced Himself on anyone, nor did He cram religion down anyone’s throat, so anyone that does that is not being biblical, and in fact, they’re doing more harm than good because this an drive them away.

It is the Word of God that has effectual power to save (Rom 1:16; 1st Cor 1:18), and we certainly do not. Anything we can talk someone into, someone else can talk them out of.

Expectations

The Apostle Paul’s very last letter before he was martyred contained commands for Timothy to not hold anything back in the Word of God, writing, “I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching” (2nd Tim 4:1-2).

The word “charge” is an imperative command, and in the same tone as Paul who told the Corinthians, “I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one” (1st Cor 5:11), but doesn’t mean we don’t respect people.

We must treat them with respect when we’re talking to them or talking about them, because some of such were we (1st Cor 6:11). We make a poor imitation of the Holy Spirit in trying to convict people of their sins…and besides, the Holy Spirit’s more interested in the sins we commit than those of others! Of course, it’s good and right to make sure the Body of Christ remains as pure and possible. What church would want a practicing thief to be the church treasurer?

Who would want an adulterous man giving an engaged couple premarital counseling? The church has clear admonitions to instruct, correct, rebuke, and teach where and when it is necessary. God will hold church leaders responsible for their negligence of church discipline (Matt 18:15-20), however church discipline stops at the curb.

Jesus never told the disciples to go out and “reform the world” but to make disciples of all people (Matt 28:18-20), but even that is not a “forced conversion,” but a calling by God (John 6:44). It’s not an external reformation of society but an inward conversion that shows external evidence. It is being salt and light, but holding the light in someone’s face that hurts, and too much salt ruins just about anything.

Conclusion

Christianity is not a set of rules, regulations, or laws. It’s not so much a religion as it is having a personal, saving relationship with Jesus Christ, and it’s not intolerant but truthful to say that Jesus is the one and only way (John 14:6).

I rejoice that there is at least one way (Acts 4:12). Jesus says whoever comes to Him will not be turned away (John 6:37-39), and whoever believes in Him will be saved (John 3:16; Rom 10:9-13), but the gospel includes repentance and faith, which is exactly how Jesus described the gospel (Mark 1:14-15), and there is no other way to enter the kingdom than through Jesus Christ (John 6:44; Acts 4:12, 16:30-31).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Fulfillment

Janice finally felt fulfilled when she received her doctorate degree from Capella University in the fall of 2005.. She had finally arrived! What more could she ask for—a beautiful home, grown children off on their own and successful in Ohio, a husband who adored her and now at long last, her doctor’s degree?!

She should feel happy, fulfilled and filled with joy but here she was in her very private bedroom and sobbing her heart out…Life could be so cruel, she thought. Why was this “thing” happening to her, why did she feel so depressed and in despair when she should be feeling “on top of the world?”

Dr. McMillen had given her the bad news yesterday, just a day after she received her degree! What timing, she thought. A cancer, he said. A small cancer had been slowly growing on the tip of her uterus. There was hope, but it was small and fading, like a candle’s glow, almost gone.

Her degree would be useless, with the cancer. Was all she did, done in vain?

She lay on the bed, worrying and wondering what kind of future—or maybe there wouldn’t be any kind of future for her, when she heard a voice whispering…..”Be not afraid, Janice I am here with you…”

This “presence” filled her with a calmness she had never felt before and somehow, some way, she knew that things would be alright.

She returned to her Dr’s office for a test result two days later and he gave her such a look of puzzlement, that it stunned her right down to her bones!

He said, ‘Janice, I can’t understand this; it’s not logical, it’s not how it goes…but the cancer—all of it—is gone! You are free, clear and healthy..”

Janice replied, “I know what has happened!…Christ has forgiven my sins and has set me free of this illness. Praise God! Now, I can use my degree as nurse to help others. Thank you, Jesus!”

She left a puzzled but happy Dr., smiling and praising God, too, as she practically skipped down the hospital hallway, free and ready to be God’s champion!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
WHY GO TO CHURCH?

A church goer wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday.’ I’ve gone for 30 years now,” he wrote, “and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons.

But for the life of me I can’t remember a single one of them. So I think I’m wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all.” This started a real controversy in the “Letters to the Editor” column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

“I’ve been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But Ido know this: They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me those meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!”

When you are DOWN to nothing.. .God is UP to something! Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible! Thank God for our physical and spiritual nourishment!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Jesus Saves

Jesus and Satan were having an ongoing argument about who was better at the computer. They had been going at it for days, and God was tired of hearing all of the bickering. Finally God said, “Cool it. l am going to set up a test that will run two hours and l will judge who does the better job.” '

So Satan and Jesus sat down at the keyboards and typed away. They moused. They did spreadsheets. They wrote reports. They sent faxes. They sent e-mail. They sent out e-mail with attachments. They downloaded. They did some genealogy reports. They made cards. They did every known job. But ten minutes before their time was up, lightning suddenly flashed across the sky, thunder rolled, rain poured and, of course, the electricity went off. Satan stared at his blank screen and screamed every cuss-word known in the underworld. Jesus just sighed. The electricity finally flickered back on and each of them restarted their computers. Satan started searching frantically, screaming, “lt’s gone! lt’s all gone! l lost everything when the power went out!”

Meanwhile, Jesus quietly started printing out all of his files from the past two hours. Satan observed this and became irate. “Wait! He cheated, how did he do it?" God shrugged and said, “Jesus saves.”