• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Job Hunt:Aus Vs SG

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
i've been in the mood of job hunting recently thus summarise my views the job hunting process in SG vs Aus. I'm talking about a middle management role in this instance (banking)

SG
---

- Interview questions tend to gear towards technical / know-how knowledge than behaviour
- Successful job applicant usually go through a few rounds of interviews with
a few departments which might or might not have direct interaction with the role
- Occasionally likes to ask abt your personal question.
- Salary negotiation usually would depend on your last drawn pay to determine your destinated salary package. It can range from 5% to 50% increment (those who can 'sell' very well)
- More flexible with relocation package
- Once you stay in a job the pay increment and bonus component tend to be more attractive than Aus.
- Perm jobs are more attractive ie.better perks
- Contract jobs are not as popular (most take up contracts are FTs) and usually come as a fixed package than daily rate.
- Reference checks vary firms to firms, usually 1 is adequate and go through motion , not thorough.
- CV usually must include your personal details : age, sex, marital status etc.

Aus
----

- Interviewers assumed you already have the product/technical knowledge, very much focus on behavour/situational questions. You need to apply your real-life experiences (with examples) else is a no-go.
- Selection process would normally include pyschometric / personality test
- Usually interview is conducted by the hiring department (hiring manager + his boss though sometimes could include business or HR)
- 2 reference checks (usually your direct manager or mentor in past or recent jobs)
- Recruiter insists he wants to meet you in person or sometimes could a first round interview acting as a devil's advocate.
- Sometimes selection process may give preference to those who can start the job early (for contract jobs) rather then relevant the experience or skillsets
- Salary negotiation - based on market rate rather then assessing your current salary to determine
- Base pay could be higher than Sg but salary adjustment could be low and bonus in general are less attractive thought there could be exception.
- In general, contract jobs are more popular than permanent for obvious reason : salary much higher then perm as it goes by daily rate and tax rebate is better (con is no paid sick leave/annual leave), u don't work u don't get paid.
- Communication / eng lang skills are crucial, singlish is a no-no. If you can't speak well that goes to the rest of the job hunt.
- Perm jobs. Perks are not great here. Eg. U still need to buy private health fund.
- Despite having a successful interviews and good reference checks ( I have had the experience), u still might not get the job as employers can change their mind like changing socks. (eg. they opt for internal resource)
- Of course, ethnic place a part in shortlisting cvs, best is to have a anglo-saxon first name else your chance of getting a interview is slim.
- CV need not include race, sex, age, ethic background but must state you are a PR or Aus citizen.

Any other views?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i've been in the mood of job hunting recently thus summarise my views the job hunting process in SG vs Aus. I'm talking about a middle management role in this instance (banking)

Any other views?

If you intend to join the silly service (i,e Public Service aka Government jobs :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:), you need to polish up your answering skills for the Selection criteria questions.

http://www.selection-criteria.com.au/selectioncriteriaexposed.html
http://www.selectioncriteria.com.au/write-and-talk.html

(apologies to Australian govt servants out there if you are offended)

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has any head hunters approached you yet? Management and above seem to be headhunted sometimes and the perks can be better through them. Don't forget to check your salary package. As in car allowance, fringe benefits, laptops/suits etc.

southwest

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time SG employers would ask for passport photo in the job ad, this is pure discrimination, worse than asking for age, sex, marital status etc. :eek:

southwest

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time? I thought its still practiced now?

I haven't been to Singapore for a long time - many many years. I thought SG has gone first world and no longer ask for photo.

If you say it is still being practiced, then yucks, a person's looks should have no relation to his ability to do a job. SG companies should stop asking for photos.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I haven't been to Singapore for a long time - many many years. I thought SG has gone first world and no longer ask for photo.

If you say it is still being practiced, then yucks, a person's looks should have no relation to his ability to do a job. SG companies should stop asking for photos.

I think its more entrenched culturally then you think. Companies may have stopped asking for photos but the graduates continued sending resumes in with their fugly photos. Its more like hard to change a common practice, like Singlish I suppose. I have a feeling the PRCs, Ah Nehs are doing the same as well.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has any head hunters approached you yet? Management and above seem to be headhunted sometimes and the perks can be better through them. Don't forget to check your salary package. As in car allowance, fringe benefits, laptops/suits etc.

I'm moving to contracting, won't enjoy such perks. Also, I'm not in Senior Mgt yet.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Any other views?

I like to share my thoughts..

If you like to have a "career", SG may seem to be a better place. However, it may not be as liveable as you like it to be. Basically, money dictates everything. The only discrimination is "money". You either love it or hate it..

Australia will give you a different perspective.. allow you to understand the 1st world standard- the orderly manner.. Aus also allows you to pick up a proper accent.. with this accent, ppl in SG will treat you differently. I am in SG now.. I can see almost all welcome me with open arms (despite the fact I was formally a sinkie - not a tourist) :biggrin:

If I'm offered a job in banking, I'll return immediately..

Last edited:

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you like to have a "career", SG may seem to be a better place. However, it may not be as liveable as you like it to be. Basically, money dictates everything. The only discrimination is "money". You either love it or hate it..

Australia will give you a different perspective.. allow you to understand the 1st world standard- the orderly manner.. Aus also allows you to pick up a proper accent.. with this accent, ppl in SG will treat you differently. I am in SG now.. I can see almost all welcome me with open arms (despite the fact I was formally a sinkie - not a tourist) :biggrin:

Give me a break. Every time I hear the Australian accent, I feel like laughing. They sound like English is their second language or someone trying to do a very bad mild British accent.

So many Singaporeans speak proper Standard Singapore English. You probably don;t because you lack education..went to lousy schools..brought up in a poor non English speaking family...

frankly you strike me as an insecure loser .. I and millions in the world like the Americans, British etc always laugh at the Australian accent. :rolleyes:

And Australia is more orderly thatn Singapore...seriously, how long have you been in orbit?

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Give me a break. Every time I hear the Australian accent, I feel like laughing. They sound like English is their second language or someone trying to do a very bad mild British accent.

So many Singaporeans speak proper Standard Singapore English. You probably don;t because you lack education..went to lousy schools..brought up in a poor non English speaking family...

frankly you strike me as an insecure loser .. I and millions in the world like the Americans, British etc always laugh at the Australian accent. :rolleyes:

And Australia is more orderly thatn Singapore...seriously, how long have you been in orbit?

Oh yes, I'm juz a diploma nia... I came from a normal family..non elite.. and I worked hard for my happiness :smile: You can insult me all you want.. please do not insult the Australian's Happiness... our pride and joy.. heehee..

You must be Aussie Prick.. changed ya nick ? Kena banned ah ? hahahaha..

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

Na, anywhere u go its how you play with the politics to advance your career.

Orderly? I'm not sure about this, perhaps they value people more here. However, the foreign bank I am working here is horribly run.

Aussie accent - I don't really bother with this, just speak clear and proper English.